Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

FABA TV Subscription- Worth it?

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: FABA TV Subscription- Worth it?

Post by Shelley Bellefontaine on Mon May 21, 2012 11:28 pm

Oh so VERY true Shannon Laughing I do prefer coming up with my own ideas, and have learned the hard way NOT to put up any really cute ideas on my website. I started seeing MY designs at events that were badly painted, but I could tell where they got the idea from!
Trust me , I am not doing any designs from FABA TV, I prefer to stand out from the others in my area Laughing
Shelley Bellefontaine

Number of posts : 236
Registration date : 2009-05-05

http://www.you-name-it.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon May 21, 2012 11:46 pm

Laughing Me too.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dex on Tue May 22, 2012 5:29 am

Hi Shannon & Shelley, I think you ladies have sort of missed the point to FABATV. You ladies may be at the elite sort of level and be of a similar class to the tutors on fabatv, so of course you really have no need for it.

However, they dont just teach designs.

Mark Reid teaches a lot about line work, and if your line work is not too crash hot then Mark is your man on fabatv (because I can't find him or anything like his quality on youtube)
The BAM lady teaches a lot about how to use stencils and how they can help dress up your designs, personally I'm not too good in this area, but learned a great deal from her.
Donna Dewberry is another who has a lot to offer especially if you are the sort of person to like the floral type of designs etc.
Also James Changefield (the balloon man) has lots of good ideas I haven't seen on youtube and some good general tips on stuff.
I could go on about each artist.
So depending on who you are, some people will do the designs to the best replication that they can and others will take the technical and work it in to what they already do, just an improved version of it.
So I say if you need improvement in some area/s then it is well worth the money if you want to grow as an artist (especially if you cant afford to go to conventions and the like) as fabatv gives you a broad overview of lots of things.
Personally, I like being able to refer back to the technical things and remind myself of how they got that line or effect on a design.

My oh my, who has the time to sit down and watch all those 1 hour tutorials in a month?! Shocked

Basically, the benefit of FABATV is really dependent of where you are as an artist and the opportunities you have to attend some sort of training.
Wink

Dex

Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2012-05-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Becky521 on Tue May 22, 2012 6:29 am

Dex wrote:Hi Shannon & Shelley, I think you ladies have sort of missed the point to FABATV. You ladies may be at the elite sort of level and be of a similar class to the tutors on fabatv, so of course you really have no need for it.

So depending on who you are, some people will do the designs to the best replication that they can and others will take the technical and work it in to what they already do, just an improved version of it.
So I say if you need improvement in some area/s then it is well worth the money if you want to grow as an artist (especially if you cant afford to go to conventions and the like) as fabatv gives you a broad overview of lots of things.
Personally, I like being able to refer back to the technical things and remind myself of how they got that line or effect on a design.

Basically, the benefit of FABATV is really dependent of where you are as an artist and the opportunities you have to attend some sort of training.
Wink

I couldn't agree more! For those of us that haven't been in business long, but want to be serious about our growth as artists, this is a great tool until we can afford conventions. Personally, I'd be at FABAIC this week if the flight and hotel weren't so expensive, but like Dex said, if I'm struggling with a technique I haven't used in awhile, I can refer back. Personally, I stink at Tribals. I just can't seem to build them right. I get the concept of the thin to thick to thin lines - and my technique has improved greatly here, but I have a hard time visualizing where the design needs to go. So, I can tune into Jay Bautista and Mark Reid whenever I have a need to work on those weak areas or need inspiration on how to build that type of abstract design. I rarely "copy" any design stroke for stroke after the first one or two practice runs. After that, I don't even look at my own picture anymore and just paint based on my model's face shape and my first impression of their personality. I find as a beginner (only 1 year in business), it gives me great inspiration and ways to improve my techniques without spending a thousand dollars or more to travel to a convention.

As an aside, the closest guild to me meets over a 90 minute drive from my home, so I don't have a "free and local" way to learn those same things.
Becky521

Number of posts : 438
Registration date : 2012-03-07

Http://fantasticfacesbybecky.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelley Bellefontaine on Tue May 22, 2012 7:52 am

To each their own . I much prefer hands on training Very Happy If it works for you , then great , and if it doesn't ..then don't do it Very Happy Like anything else in this world, some love it ...and some don't
Shelley Bellefontaine

Number of posts : 236
Registration date : 2009-05-05

http://www.you-name-it.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Becky521 on Tue May 22, 2012 8:05 am

If you have your practice head (or thigh or a friend) and you practice while you watch, it is hands on training. ;-)
Becky521

Number of posts : 438
Registration date : 2012-03-07

Http://fantasticfacesbybecky.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ArtStylez on Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:17 pm

Sorry for necro bump. Last post was from 2012 and since it is 2016, I was wondering if FabaTV still worth it? Are the classes always something new or just repeats? I saw that they still have their June classes still up and nothing yet for July and we are mid month already.

Is there another training website that do similar to FabaTV? I'm in Maryland and classes seem to be far in different states Sad So I'm trying to learn some more than what folks have on youtube.
ArtStylez

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2016-05-27

http://www.art-stylez.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Denise Cold on Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:42 pm

The classes are always posted mid-month around the time of the free class. The free classes now stay up for 24 hrs on Youtube.

It is totally worth it if you are serious about it. You need to paint along while you watch the class. I think it's better than conventions because you can actually see and rewind and repeat and there are no interruptions or the teacher trying to help someone new figure out how to load a brush.

What I did was sign up for FABA tv on the 20th of the month. That way I could watch the new ones that just came out and then the next month before my month expired. You have to cancel your month at least two weeks before it ends or you will be billed another month. But I would watch several classes and then cancel and then wait until I saw a class I really liked and sign up again.

You should really sign up for at least a month. I mean...it's a fantastic deal. All the Mark Reid classes are amazing, Christina Davison, Lynne Jamieson, (I love my rose class if I do say so myself), Jay Bautista, Pashur, Dutch, Matteo, Marcela Murad...OMG...her classes are worth the cost of admission alone. Jenny Saunders, Karen Harvey, Ronnie Mena, Jocelyn Castorph...I mean, come on! LOL

I guess because I spent so much on education before there was even FABAtv it amazes me that people don't want to pay for even a month. That's less than gas to drive to one workshop!

denise@paintedparty.com
www.paintedparty.com

Denise Cold

Number of posts : 2712
Registration date : 2011-04-06

http://www.denisecold.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ArtStylez on Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:14 am

Thank you Denise! I will try that out! Thanks for the tips of doing it while watching the videos. I'm definitely a hands on person.
ArtStylez

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2016-05-27

http://www.art-stylez.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubilee on Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:42 pm

Thank you ArtStylez and Denise for updating this topic! I'm convinced!

Jubilee

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2016-07-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubilee on Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:03 pm

So I signed up for FabaTV over the weekend...and I just wish I signed up for this a year ago when I first started FP! lol oh well, better now than never! Smile

Jubilee

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2016-07-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top