Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Glitter tatt problems

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Glitter tatt problems

Post by cattsy on Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:51 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm having problems with my glitter tattoos holding up to wear and tear, I've seen people have tattoos last an impossibly long time, but mine are not seeming to last more than a day or two before fading out and looking icky. I did a set of wings last night and already today all the glitter is coming off.

My hubby did the wings, but he uses the same technique I do. Glue, fairly thickly, and get the glitter on fairly fast, pressing it into the glue. I'm wondering if he's not using enough maybe?

Like I said these were just done last night (around 6pm) and this is what they look like today...
cattsy

Number of posts : 284
Registration date : 2010-10-12

Back to top Go down

Re: Glitter tatt problems

Post by creativefunfaces on Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:23 pm

Is he using alcohol to clean the area first? I know that helps.
Good luck

sunny Amy sunny
creativefunfaces

Number of posts : 314
Registration date : 2012-01-24

http://creativefunfaces.yolasite.com

Back to top Go down

Post by cattsy on Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:26 pm

Yup well cleaned with alcohol first. I am going to try another set today. I'm expecting these to be big Sellers this summer, but I need them to last
cattsy

Back to top Go down

Post by Misha on Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:59 pm

I had major issues with staying power until I tried a different glue that came in my pro kit. The glitter stays on better too, I think because of the size cut. The larger cut seemed to flake quicker.
Misha

Number of posts : 329
Registration date : 2011-10-24

Back to top Go down

Post by cattsy on Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:07 pm

I'm using the glue from Amerikan Body Art. Which I think is just prosaide rebranded.

cattsy

Back to top Go down

Post by lorrinwagner on Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:48 pm

I find it comes off really fast if applied too thickly. My super fine mica glitter lasts the longest as well. I also let it beome clear (entire design) before applying the glitter, that helps a lot.
lorrinwagner

Number of posts : 335
Registration date : 2011-03-08

http://www.wagnerevents.com

Back to top Go down

Post by cattsy on Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:58 pm

the glue comes off really fast if too thick? or the glitter if it's too thick?

I'm not finding that it's the glue that's coming off, I'm finding that the glitter is. If you look at the picture, there's still plenty of glue, but the glitter is what's come off. it's like it's not "sticking" to the glue.

I don't, however, let the glue dry, there's been too many comparisons lately that lead me to believe that it's better to get the glitter on quicker rather than wait for it to dry. The only ones I let dry are the freehand ones I do cause otherwise they smudge. I don't understand the science behind why it would stick better if dry?

Could I maybe just have some bad glue?

Trina
cattsy

Back to top Go down

Post by Manabanana on Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:46 pm

I never wait for the glue to dry. However I dont put a thick layer of glue either. Just enough to cover the stencil area. I do press and wiggle the glitter into the glue and reaply more glitter if need be. I'm almost violent when pushing the glitter in. But my tatts last an average of a week or two.

Manabanana

Number of posts : 1208
Registration date : 2011-07-01

http://www.manaartonline.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Manabanana on Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:47 pm

p.s. I use Glimmer Glue.
Manabanana

Number of posts : 1208
Registration date : 2011-07-01

http://www.manaartonline.com

Back to top Go down

Post by EileenF on Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:06 am

I LOVE Glimmer glue! The glue is what makes my customers glitter-obsessed! My customers are really pleased with it. I am sure it's the glue you are using, a good glue sticks as well as holds the glitter. I even did a demo and had no alcohol to clean the area first (didn't plan on someone asking for a sample when I was getting an oil change) and realized my alcohol wipes were in another bag at home. I did her glitter tattoo explaining to her that cleaning the area with alcohol first is so important, but that I could still do one on her if she just washed the area well first. She called me a week later an said it was still there. I'm not saying DON'T clean the area first, but I will say the tattoo lasted at least a while using Glimmer glue. From personal experience, less is more with the glue. Just get the area wet with the glue and make sure you work the brush in all directions in a sweeping manner, but don't overdo it with the glue. My theory is that a thin layer of glue works well and I imagine if you cake on the glue, it causes the tattoo to lay higher than the skin surface which makes it easier to lift especially on the edges. When you do your stencil, do you take it off immediately after you apply the glue, when the glue is still white? I find that doing the glitter before taking off the tattoo causes lifting of the edges and breaks that clean look. Microscopically, I'm sure if you do it that way, you would see lifting already. I've always taken the tattoo stencil off right after the glue, and for fun I tried it the wrong way and it didn't last as long.

Also, make sure that the alcohol has dried completely. The cleaning stage is most important. BUT if you don't let the alcohol dry completely and let the skin warm up back to normal, the alcohol although it's our friend during the prepping stage, can be the enemy while trying to get the stencil to stick and the glue to stay. It's a catch 22. I have a small travel hair dryer that I use to speed up the process, just blow it on the clean area for a few seconds before you apply the stencil. (just pay attention not to aim it at your glitter palette while not paying attention- then you will be in a glitter cloud for a good minute) lol

I do see that your issue is the glitter not sticking to the glue, I really make sure to pack the glitter into the glue (after its clear) with my brush. You use a brush, right? Or do you use a puffer? Also, just checking that you use cosmetic glitter. I know it's tempting to buy craft glitter sometimes, but I never use it because it's not safe if it gets in the eyes.

I am almost sure the issue you are having is in the glue product you are using. Also, make sure you really pack that glitter in with the brush. I have a tattoo on my inner arm that has been there for 6 days already from the glimmer glue, and it looks like I just applied it. Smile I'll upload some pics in a little bit, and show you the one that is 6 days "young".

Of course, any tattoos that you have that are in areas that rub against the material of a shirt can cause glitter to come off faster, but I swear by Glimmer.

Also, Glimmer glue is good for a year after you open it. I even use it to apply crystals to my tattoos.

When you are getting the tattoo done, make sure you don't move around at all because what happens is the glitter can "crack" and cause flaking. Those tattoos are done over an area that moves around a lot when you move your arms in general, so just making sure that you are in the most natural position and stay that way the whole time. Smile Also, I find that tattoos that are done over tendons, areas that get wet often (like wrists) and even on the mushy areas like cleavage are more prone to not lasting as long since those areas can crack the glue microscopically. Imagine if you did a clay mask on your face (as in a facial). As the mask dries, it gets harder and molds to the relaxed state your face is in. Imagine if you smiled as your facial mask is drying, you will end up with cracks in the mask. That's the best way I can compare. Regardless, this glue holds up longer than any other glue I've used, even in areas that I tell people it won't last as long. I have had a tattoo last more than 2 weeks before I was ready to glitter up again.

Your problem doesn't look like it has an issue with lifting as much as it is the glue. It seems it is more of a problem with the glue holding onto the glitter. Please ask me if you have any questions.

You can purchase a small Glimmer glue for under $5 and that will get you through roughly 80 tattoos. (What a profit!) I always have extra laying around so that I can practice my new stencils on myself if I'm bored.

Regardless, that tattoo design is beautiful. I can tell you know how to work the glitter and use great color combos!

Message me if you ever want to talk glitter. hehe!
EileenF

Number of posts : 105
Registration date : 2012-03-26

Back to top Go down

Post by gaebell on Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:47 am

Pros-Aide is the best, it is a non toxic skin safe adhesive , used for many years in the theatrical business for prosthetics.
The glue must be dabbed, using a doe foot applicator, very fine layer and once ( a couple of seconds) it has gone clear you apply the glitter , I use puffer bottles so I can create unique patterns on the tattoo design.
Push the glitter on with your finger and then remove the stencil.
The glitter tatts last around seven days easy 3-4 days of looking really good.
I can say that I have left the glue for a couple of minutes , due to unforseen circumstances and the glue is still very tacky, still works really well.
It sounds like you do not use Pros-aide, give it a try it is superior to all the other glues out there, just a little more expensive, but well worth it and yes Amerikan Body Art were the ones that got me on to Pros-aide..
gaebell

gaebell

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2011-03-28

http://www.tagbodyart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Faces by Ainslie on Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:59 am

Is that the first design you have tried?

I think it could be the location. I always tell my clients that some will wear off faster than others because of rubbing.

Where yours is is right on your bra strap and if you are sleeping, then it will rubb off from friction on your sheets.

Try something in a low friction area- above the knee, stomach for eg, to see if it is a friction problem, and that way you can eliminate if it is the glue or not.
Faces by Ainslie

Number of posts : 294
Registration date : 2011-07-06

http://www.FacesByAinslie.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post by PerfectlyPaintedFaces on Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:54 am

I have the same problem... my tattoos, whether glitter or mica, last 3 days tops. I use Pros-Aide I got from Silly Farm. Maybe I'll order glimmer glue and give that a shot...
PerfectlyPaintedFaces

Number of posts : 882
Registration date : 2011-11-03

http://www.perfectlypaintedfaces.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Miss Ronnie on Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:11 am

Believe it or not, the glue from Tulip works better than the Amerikan Body Art glue! Our local Michaels, Hobby Lobby and AC Moore all carry it. Look for it the Tulip face paint/glitter tattoo section.

Miss Ronnie

Number of posts : 3089
Registration date : 2011-08-28

http://www.wix.com/missronnie/fantasyfaces

Back to top Go down

Post by facesbybelle on Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:29 pm

I used the prosaid glue and my mica tattoo lasted almost two weeks and my glitter tatt last five days before it started to wear down.
facesbybelle

Number of posts : 707
Registration date : 2011-03-20

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/pages/Faces-by-Belle/20513790

Back to top Go down

Post by PerfectlyPaintedFaces on Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:43 am

Miss Ronnie, after your recommendation I drove to Michael's right before a glitter tat gig and grabbed some Tulip glue! I really wasn't happy with how short my pros-aide lasted. I put a glitter tat on myself after the party to see how it lasts. Day Two and it still looks perfect... let's see how long it lasts! Smile
PerfectlyPaintedFaces

Number of posts : 882
Registration date : 2011-11-03

http://www.perfectlypaintedfaces.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jodiwill1 on Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:39 am

Thin layer of glue it the key. you can also use mehron's sealer over the top if you want it to lass longer

jodiwill1

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2012-04-11

http://www.legacybeautysupply.com

Back to top Go down

Post by KimiKay on Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:45 pm

Eileen, those were all good theories about why glitter tattoo last or don't last. I know it's been a while since the last post, but to add my two sense worth I think the person's skin has a lot to do with it. I have very dry skin and I have to struggle to get the glue off. I have a mica tattoo on my upper arm, right wear it rubs against my short shirt sleeves, and three weeks later it's just starting to get a few rough patches. I think how oily vs. dry a person's skin is can affect it. In theory teenager's tattoos won't last as long because they typically have oily skin...and if baby oil breaks down the adhesive, probably so does natural body oil. I'm thinking of buying small sizes of all the different brands and doing a comparison on several different people.

KimiKay

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2012-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by earthorange on Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:38 am

Kimy Kay, that's what I find, too. Oily skin seems to make a difference in the stencil sticking at all. Alcohol doesn't seem to do it. I wonder if something like this would help?

http://m.drugstore.com/clean-and-clear-oil-absorbing-sheets/qxp68807
earthorange

Number of posts : 205
Registration date : 2010-08-23

http://www.peoplepaint.net

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGildedCat on Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:42 pm

I really love using Pros-Aide as well. I worked with another painter at an event and used her Amerikan Body Art glue - it was horrid to work with and removing the tattoos lifted the glue nearly immediately. I can see how it would easily lift after a day on a more oily skin.
TheGildedCat

Number of posts : 1577
Registration date : 2010-09-06

http://www.thegildedcat.com

Back to top Go down

Post by mhr2133 on Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:27 pm

Amerikan Body Art glue is pros-aide.

I've used them all including the expensive Y body pink glue but I can';t find a reason they last or don.t. I've run experiments with adults/teens/kids. Adults last longer no matter the glue type, teens last the shortest no matter the glue type. So now I've given up and just tell everyone 1-3 days it just depends on your skin type.
mhr2133

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2011-10-16

Back to top Go down

Post by artyfacesbyluz on Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:40 am

I got the tulip kit for my daughter, the glue is super-dupra sticky but the glitter fall of so easy, now what is the problem? I had a really hard time getting the glue off her skin but the second day there is not glitter.
artyfacesbyluz

Number of posts : 956
Registration date : 2011-02-22

http://www.artyfacesbyluz.com

Back to top Go down

Post by nfd on Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:32 pm

I find that making sure the skin surface is really clean/oil free helps alot. Also, the granularity of the glitter/size of the cosmetic glitter makes a huge difference. The finer glitters seem to last longer. Has anyone tried glitter tattoo transfer decals instead of using stencils and body glue?

nfd

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2012-08-30

Back to top Go down

Post by seekorka on Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:39 pm

Artyfacebyluz do you have link about tulip kit? Really thank you.
seekorka

Number of posts : 109
Registration date : 2012-07-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Denise Cold on Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:48 pm

EileenF...I bought Glimmer glue because others have also said they liked it better but I'm having a serious lifting/stringy problem. I even removed the stencil before doing glitter and it still pulled strings. The dry time is sooo quick outdoors.

I guess I'm going to have to experiment again but I was so frustrated that I was looking for another glue again. I had Amerikan Body Art and it was great for awhile but seemed to "wear out" and not work so well anymore.

Any tips?
Denise Cold

Number of posts : 2717
Registration date : 2011-04-06

http://www.denisecold.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next