Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

How much to pay your teenager?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

How much to pay your teenager?

Post by Serendipity on Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:55 am

Hannah, my 18 year old daughter and I have had a henna and glitter tattoo business since she was about 13 or 14. We went on sabbatical for two years. Now we are excited to do this again. We are adding the face painting and she will be doing this as well.

When she was line manager and or glitter tattoos, we either broke even or the radiator went out on the car etc. So I never actually paid her. I'd let her get something she really wanted (within reason) when we made a profit.

Now because of her medical issues, she can't really get an outside job but I want her to have the experience. I would like to pay her this go around.

So, do any of you have your kids working for you? How do you go about paying them?

Serendipity

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2012-03-16

Back to top Go down

Re: How much to pay your teenager?

Post by anniel on Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:43 pm

We have the same set up as you did. (Basically Acts 2:44-45) If they have a major project going on (like visiting their dad overseas/bulk buy of hay/vet bills) they just tithe & pay their own expenses for their supplies. That's for my at home kids--out of the nest I work the same as anyone else...I send out extra gigs & they handle it all themselves.
anniel

Number of posts : 2316
Registration date : 2010-12-27

http://entertainment-etc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Perry Noia on Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:21 pm

I would pay them the same way anyone else would get paid. She gets her own cash box and keeps what she makes. I fully plan to have my girls involved when they are old enough if they want to and I fully believe that every face painter/twister/entertainer deserves to get the full rate paid for them to be there. No booking fees or agent fees or any of that crap.... especially if it's family.
Perry Noia

Number of posts : 3523
Registration date : 2008-12-12

http://www.perrynoia.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Becky521 on Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:08 am

I second what Perry said. I have some girlfriends that work with me on occasion (I provide the supplies, but they hand out MY business cards). If it's a PPF event, they keep what they make. If it's something we get paid per hour, we divide the total up as an "hourly" rate and they take their pay per hour home. For instance, if we do an event where I work the whole thing and each of my friends work half of it and we get paid 200 chickens, I take home 100 chickens (I was there the whole time after all) and they each get 50 chickens. I had to bring back the poultry reference. ;-)
Becky521

Number of posts : 438
Registration date : 2012-03-07

Http://fantasticfacesbybecky.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmbook on Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:54 am

I have 2 daughters (19 & 17) that work with me. Since I supply their kits & do the majority of the work I pay them $20/hr. Now, once they start doing gigs on their own I'll do a 60/40 split in their favor, but they'll need to start maintaining their kits on their own, replenish & order their own paints, etc. I'm not using this just to make them money, but hopefully to give them a business that will be flexible for when they go to college & they can take with them where ever they live. I'm also teaching them how to take gigs, do contracts, etc.
Psalmbook

Number of posts : 7642
Registration date : 2010-03-09

http://www.wix.com/psalmbook/Lindas-Face-Painting

Back to top Go down

Post by Serendipity on Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:42 pm

Thanks for all the responses. I find it very interesting to see how others are incorporating their children into this business. I think I'm going to have Hannah send out some emails to book some potential gigs.

Okay, I have to brag on her a bit. She is an awesome booth babe and her glitter tattoos are spectacular. Forgive any future bragging on her when I post her photos. Very Happy

Serendipity

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2012-03-16

Back to top Go down

Post by SuzySparkles on Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:43 pm

I pay my kids $20/hour
SuzySparkles

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2009-11-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Jobena1 on Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:57 pm

When we do a festival..My company gets 40% off the top....the remaining percentage gets split between my daughter and myself (30/30)...if her freind comes she gets a cut too. (20/20/20). ....they usually split the tip jar and I keep my tips.
Jobena1

Number of posts : 205
Registration date : 2011-11-26

http://www.fababyjody.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmbook on Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:46 pm

When we work festivals it's usually just me & my oldest girl. We both face paint, do glitter tattoos & henna tattoos at these PPF events. In these cases I pay her 20% of all money earned. We combine tips because we often are painting siblings & the parents give one or the other the full tip. Then we total everything, pull the booth cost & then do an 80/20 split. Now, when I start sending her to run booths on her own I'll give her a raise. I'm trying to convince her to do a festival at the end of the month that I can't make it too.
Psalmbook

Number of posts : 7642
Registration date : 2010-03-09

http://www.wix.com/psalmbook/Lindas-Face-Painting

Back to top Go down

Post by Luvs to paint on Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:58 pm

My daughter does the glitter tattoos and I do the face painting. Even though I purchase all her supplies, she is allowed to keep what ever she makes Sometimes she has a friend to help her, but lately she prefers to do ALL the glitter tattoos herself. At gigs where they only want a face painter, but I still need her to help me set up/take down, I will pay her X amount for the day, roughly $25-40 depending on my pay.
Luvs to paint

Number of posts : 726
Registration date : 2011-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by a face painting mom on Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:25 am

I feel cheep! I pay $10 an hour. My daughters are 13 and 15 and I buy all the supplies. It's a good high school job...all my daughter's friends want to work for me, so I can only imagine how many of them would want to work for me if I were paying 20 an hour!
a face painting mom

Number of posts : 1913
Registration date : 2011-07-13

http://www.afacepaintingmom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by squiggle on Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:02 pm

I face paint and my daughter does the glitter tattoos/glitter art/gilding. At festivals, we split the tips and she gets to keep 70% of what she makes. The other 30% goes towards restocking, booth cost, insurance, etc.
She's now being booked along with me for birthday parties. We do the same thing... she gets 70% and I get 30% for restocking, etc. She's saving up to buy a nice airbrush system so that (hopefully) next summer she can offer that along with the glitter art.
She works really hard at festivals, and doesn't slouch when it comes to unloading, setting up, etc. Never complains, no matter how hot/cold/slow/busy we are... that to me is worth its weight in gold! LOL
squiggle

Number of posts : 787
Registration date : 2009-11-11

http://www.awesome-facepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Luvs to paint on Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:07 pm

Dawnie, Let me know how that airbrush system works, I'm thinking about one for my daughter.
Luvs to paint

Number of posts : 726
Registration date : 2011-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by FaceMyPaint on Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:34 pm

My son will be working with me this summer doing line management. I pay him $10/hour, plus buy him food/drinks Smile

My daughter is really into doing glitter tattoos, but she's only 6. I'll probably start allowing her to help when she's older, but she thinks she's already a professional! LOL

My 12 year old has some special needs. He basically spends my tips at festivals! LOL. However, I always paint him, then for everyone who comes and says "Zack sent me", he gets $1. He loves it, and it makes him happy.

Amy Bee
FaceMyPaint

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2011-05-17

http://www.FaceMyPaint.com

Back to top Go down

Post by acarreon on Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:56 pm

So my oldest son is 11 and wants to learn to fp, so he can go with me and make a lil $$! I just learned about the glitter tattoos on here, and was thinking about leting him start with those. I like the 70/30 idea that is cool! Now I have 3 more sons 9, 7 and 5! All three know how to count $$ better then I do at times. what is a good age to bring your lil ones in to help?

I have a dream one day we'll have a family business, so why not start now! sunny
acarreon

Number of posts : 453
Registration date : 2012-04-14

http://lexisskinvas.wix.com/skinvas

Back to top Go down

Post by acarreon on Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:56 pm

Oh and Amy your idea you do with your son is kick-butt...i love that!!!
acarreon

Number of posts : 453
Registration date : 2012-04-14

http://lexisskinvas.wix.com/skinvas

Back to top Go down

Post by skjfunny on Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:35 pm

My grandson is 9, in excelled programs at school...was desperately wanting to work for me. I trained him as I would anyone, look people in the eye, speak up so they can hear you, SMILE, know the information, wears the required money apron and dresses in the required clothes. He is paid $5. per hour and WORKS, he is not allowed to run around. He works the line and takes the money since ppf all is $5. Gavin is a major asset, but now he knows the glitter tattoo 16 year old makes per tattoo he thinks he can be faster than her and just as good, he's begging to learn glitter tattoos. His best friend wants to know if I can make a money apron out of camouflage cause he wants to work for me too. I'm running a company, he is not paying taxes & SS so $5. at his age is appropriate. It is important he learns it costs to do these events and no one gives us gasoline, food or fp supplies. Good work ethic is the best gift besides love that I can give him.
Now by the time he is 16 I will have him booked doing birthday party shows and he'll get $50 a half hour to begin if he has his skill levels up to our standards. Much depends on YOUR financial situation, if you are running a company or playing around at face painting for extra money and WHERE you live and Your personal attitude about money. Good Luck
skjfunny

Number of posts : 198
Registration date : 2010-08-17

http://sunshinetheclown.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Sweet Loretta on Wed May 09, 2012 2:40 am

Even with family laws vary by state on the age limitations and tax regulations. Aside from setting up and striking my sons worked charity events where we donated time until they were of proper working age as regulated by Cailfornia Law. Too it is not very professional looking to have children working for you. Now too my sons are highly professional when dealing with the public and were at a young age. I still trust my oldest son far more in his skills than newer staff. That based on his experience in doing the job. Still the professionalism is critic to our company. As we do 90% corporate events.

Regardless of your choice - check your state laws. What happens when you have an insurance issue. Being a minor complicates your insurance coverage. Especially since most painters insure only themselves for personal liability. They can not work an event where you have had to supply an additionally insured certificate like many festivals.

I do hire teen age young adults and start them at a healthy wage based on a per hr rate plus a mileage stipend if they need to travel (of course I don't send them on those gigs) generally I kick in extra too if it is a night gig or they have meals. We cover all supplies, set-ups, and overhead including insurance. From there they work up - the better the skills the better the pay, the longevity with us, the better the pay.
Sweet Loretta

Number of posts : 744
Registration date : 2008-09-25

http://www.sweet-loretta.com

Back to top Go down

Post by drawattention on Wed May 09, 2012 3:42 pm

I pay my daughter (13 yrs) old $10 an hour. she assist me by taking photos, numbering the kids in line, and setup& down. She does not facepaint as of yet. When she begins painting I will raise her pay, but for now I believe $10.00/hr is fair. Additionally she helps me clean my kit after a gig. FOr this task I split whatever tips I receive as well - usually half of it depending on the size of the tips. She might walk away with $40-$50 dollars for a two hour gig, which isn't bad for her age. I've thought about paying her more, but I want her to learn that you start at the bottom and work your way up. If we don't collect any tips then all she receives is the $10 an hour.
drawattention

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2012-04-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Doe on Wed May 09, 2012 4:12 pm

I'm still new myself - but, recently we were contacted by someone who wanted a puppy party and I was going to be traveling - I offered up my 11 year old and the mom looked at her work and said "Sure! That would be fine!" We gave her the rock bottom rate of $30 and I made my DD give me back $5 for supply costs and let her keep the rest. I think she painted 8 6-year olds and she was thrilled with her earnings.
Doe

Number of posts : 406
Registration date : 2011-08-26

http://www.doearts.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum