Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Help! Swirly lines and other art to tie design(s) together

Go down

Help! Swirly lines and other art to tie design(s) together

Post by lymymi on Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:55 pm

I am having the darndest time trying to tie three items together to make them flow or at least make them belong together. Example: Three butterflies - I tried a few swooshes here and there, but the swooshing ending up looking like mangled spaghetti. The wavy lines I drew look awkward. I just want it to look smooth, flowing and/or elegant or give the three objects some POP! Any ideas out there to tie them all together?
lymymi

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2012-02-18

Back to top Go down

Re: Help! Swirly lines and other art to tie design(s) together

Post by leapinglizards on Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:33 pm

Place the items, with variation of size, and slightly different heights with middle one lowest and largest, maybe with slight overlap of first one. Stary a swirl in front of the fiest one and run it so it appears to go UNDER the first one, then out the bottom and over the bottom edge of the middle one then over the very end of the last one, curled under the third one. Does that make ANY sense at all?

leapinglizards

Number of posts : 1061
Registration date : 2009-10-31

http://www.livecanvasart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by PerfectlyPaintedFaces on Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:59 pm

I'd recommend watching some of Silly Heather's youtube tutorials. She does linework that has a great natural flow.

You could always just try doodling on paper, getting used to the hand motions of creating nicely flowing swirls and curls. Of course, it always just comes down to practice practice practice! Smile
PerfectlyPaintedFaces

Number of posts : 882
Registration date : 2011-11-03

http://www.perfectlypaintedfaces.com

Back to top Go down

Post by lymymi on Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:40 pm

leapinglizards wrote:Place the items, with variation of size, and slightly different heights with middle one lowest and largest, maybe with slight overlap of first one. Stary a swirl in front of the fiest one and run it so it appears to go UNDER the first one, then out the bottom and over the bottom edge of the middle one then over the very end of the last one, curled under the third one. Does that make ANY sense at all?

Shocked
lol - yes... and no. :-) Could you please use "A, B, & C"? (example: A on top, B in middle, C on bottom. Take swirl to come out of bottom of C, go over B, go under A) Very Happy
lymymi

Back to top Go down

Post by martha on Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:43 pm

Be sure you are varying your lines thin to thick to thin. Much more pleasing to the eye. Imagine leapinglizards items as a triangle to the left overlapped by a square that is a bit larger and lower than the triangle. To the right of these is a star. If you start a swirl to the left of the triangle and run it so that it touches the left side of the triangle and comes out the base, cross the square, and curl around the star. That's the imagery that comes to my mind anyway.
martha

Number of posts : 1951
Registration date : 2011-05-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmbook on Tue May 01, 2012 6:58 pm

Practice on your arm your swirling lines, tear drops & thick to thin to thick lines. When I have 3 things that need to be linked together I often connect them w/ "S" shaped linework or curls & follow through w/ tear drops. The "S's" can be backwards also.

Psalmbook

Number of posts : 7642
Registration date : 2010-03-09

http://www.wix.com/psalmbook/Lindas-Face-Painting

Back to top Go down

Post by lymymi on Tue May 01, 2012 10:21 pm

thank you all for your help! I know it takes lots of practice, but like that commercial says, "practice doesn't make perfect, perfect practice make perfect." lol. So I'm trying to get the right info and practice that! My trial and error has me in a stump, so I appreciate all the ideas. I've seen SillyHeather's fire tutorial which is really cool as well as her brush 101. All have been helpful. Thanks a bunch!
lymymi

Back to top Go down

Post by martha on Tue May 01, 2012 11:13 pm

Glad to help in any way.
martha

Number of posts : 1951
Registration date : 2011-05-22

Back to top Go down