Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

HELP! Mold!!???

View previous topic View next topic Go down

HELP! Mold!!???

Post by Mickie on Mon May 07, 2012 11:55 pm

Weirdness in my kit. I had an event on Friday ( this is Monday ) where I used my new Fazmataz black. The guy at the shop said that Fazmataz was DFX under a new name. Anyway, I needed black in the worst way so I bought it and it worked just fine. I clean my paints with baby wipes when I am done and before I store them. I do this with all my paints and have never had a issue. I opened up my black today to find what looked like MOLD growing up out of the paint! Ugh! Help! Has this happened to anyone?
Mickie

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2012-04-14

Back to top Go down

Re: HELP! Mold!!???

Post by veelux on Tue May 08, 2012 12:16 am

no, never...did you let it dry before you put the lid on?
veelux

Number of posts : 1464
Registration date : 2012-02-11

http://www.glitznglowz.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue May 08, 2012 12:41 am

Hairy mould or just a white-ish film?

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickie on Tue May 08, 2012 9:59 am

I did let it dry although not overnight but it wasn't wet wet and yea hairy black mould! ick!
Mickie

Back to top Go down

Post by Metina on Tue May 08, 2012 10:54 am

Can you share some pics of the moldy Fazmataz? Also is there a weird odor to it now?

-Metina

Last edited by Metina on Tue May 08, 2012 2:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

Shipping from $3.99
Washington DC Metro--But Serving the World!
Metina
Admin

Number of posts : 3708
Registration date : 2008-09-04

http://www.facepaintforumshop.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue May 08, 2012 2:13 pm

If it is hairy, toss it.

And I have never heard of that brand?

Back to top Go down

Post by martha on Tue May 08, 2012 6:20 pm

I have heard of Fazmataz brushes but not the paint. I'm with Shannon, toss it before any of your other paints get contaminated. Mold is nasty!
martha

Number of posts : 1951
Registration date : 2011-05-22

Back to top Go down

Post by eva on Tue May 08, 2012 7:00 pm

I did some research on fazmataz last night because I found it online for the first time. It's Elena boniifiz brand and advertised as formerly dfx.back to the subject. I would pitch it if it's moldy, and contact the company.
eva

Number of posts : 1108
Registration date : 2008-12-13

http://www.cincinnatifacepainters.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickie on Thu May 10, 2012 4:31 pm

Thanks everyone! Metina, I didn't think to take a picture of it before I cleaned it out. I am pictching it! Although Eva, I think I will contact the company as well. It was just nasty and I don't want to take a chance of it contaiminating anything else. Shannon, it didn't have any discernable smell.
Mickie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu May 10, 2012 4:43 pm

If hairy mould is growing that means there is GROWTH and it will be through the whole product.

I've never actually seen fuzzy mould on make-up... slime, yes, stench, yes, but not hair growth.

I would guess something got into the cake to cause it.

Several brands will develop a whiteish film or oily patches on top... those are not a problem. Just separation of ingredients and won't hurt anything.

If it ever happens - take photos, document what was done with it, date purchased, etc. Contact the retailer and give them all that and offer to send them the product back for testing. If you JUST bought it they should offer to exchange or refund, and send it back to their supplier. If you bought it some time ago you will probably be out of luck regarding a refund, but provide the retailer with the information anyway. If they happen to get multiple complaints it can be investigated.

When stuff like this happens it is important to know product codes and batch numbers... tracing contamination back to the factory.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickie on Thu May 10, 2012 9:39 pm

Shannon , thank you that is great information and I appreciate it! I am quite new to this and was just flabbergasted by it so I didn't think through my response to it. Now I know;)
Mickie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sweet Loretta on Thu May 10, 2012 10:24 pm

Ditto w/ Shannon throw that crud out. That paint was old before you started.

I have had Fardel grow mold - fuzzy. I use only Paradise, Wolfe and Kryolan, ten plus years no mold, never, ever.

So what company bears the deep pocket here I am really wondering. If it is unlabeld DFX is it sanctioned to be private labeled by Fatamataz? Or is this still DFX unlabeled shipped (therefor illegally) into the US for her to label before their relationship all blew up. And she needs to sell it to recuop her costs so it now bears her store label. A bad deal all around.
Sweet Loretta

Number of posts : 744
Registration date : 2008-09-25

http://www.sweet-loretta.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickie on Thu May 10, 2012 11:40 pm

All I know is that I won't be buying Fazmataz again. The only theater supply in town sells it instead of Wolfe Sad now.
Mickie

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickie on Sat May 19, 2012 1:34 am

MOLD UPDATE:
NOT MOLD! Okay, I feel really stupid and I made a newbie mistake. NOT MOLD!! It turns out it was fuzz from the wipes I was using to clean my paint. I had used a different brand of wipes and apparently the fibers from the wipe became imbedded in the paint so when I opened it up it looked like black fuzzy mold. I apologize for the drama! Once again it was NOT the Fazmataz paint it was my own stupidity which I am embarassed to be admiting in public but I wanted you folks to know it wasn't the paint!
Mickie

Back to top Go down

Post by CottonKandyClown on Fri May 25, 2012 6:41 am

LOL Don't feel bad! *hugs* We all go through things like this. Glad your paint isn't ruined! Smile

I did have some mold grow on some wet dotters once. I let them soak over night and laid them on a towel to dry. I was a newbie so I didn't think to squeeze them out. A few days later I noticed the fuzz! I threw them and the towel out as soon as I saw it.

I leave my lids off of my black and white paints all the time. Some of my smaller 30g just air out over night or till the next gig a few days later.

Most paints have ingredients in them to prevent growth. You shouldn't have problems with mold in paints.
CottonKandyClown

Number of posts : 1109
Registration date : 2010-06-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickie on Fri May 25, 2012 3:55 pm

Thanks! I feel better and now I know:)
Mickie

Back to top Go down