Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Stopping to take pictures?

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Stopping to take pictures?

Post by Miss Ronnie on Mon May 14, 2012 1:16 am

You don't really need to offer anything free...

People who don't want their child's photo used for anything will be very upfront about it immediately. Otherwise, most folks think it's cool that you would like to feature THEIR precious child on your website or business card or whatever... and the kids feel really special. Both kids and parents will tell family & friends to check out your website because such and such is on there. I have kids that I paint week after week at my restaurant gig and I feature them all the time on my website. They love to keep "checking in" to see if they are featured this week. I have my photo releases on hand wherever I go. They are not overly wordy and I was able to fit 2 of them on an 81/2 x 11 sheet of paper when printing.... then I cut the paper in half.
Miss Ronnie

Number of posts : 3089
Registration date : 2011-08-28

http://www.wix.com/missronnie/fantasyfaces

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon May 14, 2012 8:48 am

My photo release is quite short but all-encompassing. When I have had someone with me to take photos she would scout out likely looking kids in line, approach the parents ahead of time, get them to sign a form, then she would take photos while I was painting them and after.

There have been occasions where parents didn't want to sign, so no photos. Not a big deal.

There is a sample of my form on my resource page AND the Snazaroo US site uses my form as their example as well (check the FAQs).

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelley Bellefontaine on Mon May 14, 2012 2:25 pm

I have done some of my best work at birthday parties,,,, and no evidence! I just don't have the time AND usually there are only one or two parents there , and never the one of the child I would like to take a picture of!!!
Shelley Bellefontaine

Number of posts : 236
Registration date : 2009-05-05

http://www.you-name-it.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Luvs to paint on Mon May 14, 2012 4:53 pm

Shelley, I LOVE your mask!
Luvs to paint

Number of posts : 726
Registration date : 2011-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelley Bellefontaine on Mon May 14, 2012 6:10 pm

Thank you Lorie! That is very kind of you. It's the one photo of mine that has been stolen so many times!!! So I like to let people out there know that it was me that painted it!!
Shelley Bellefontaine

Number of posts : 236
Registration date : 2009-05-05

http://www.you-name-it.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Luvs to paint on Mon May 14, 2012 6:49 pm

What pink is that?
Luvs to paint

Back to top Go down

Post by Becky521 on Mon May 14, 2012 7:01 pm

SuzySparkles wrote:I take pics at almost every party. On my contract that they fill out I ask if it is ok to photograph the kids at the event and they almost always put yes. Never had an issue.

Brilliant as always!!!!
Becky521

Number of posts : 438
Registration date : 2012-03-07

Http://fantasticfacesbybecky.com

Back to top Go down

Post by MelodyFPL on Mon May 14, 2012 11:14 pm

I have the solution.
I often set up my camera and tripod behind me, pointed at an appropriate height and angle for kid-sized people, and I have a handy dandy remote. I paint the face, show them the mirror, point at the camera behind me and say "Smile!" and then push the button on the remote three times. One in three pics is almost always a keeper in my experience.
Super easy, super dependable, and only takes a couple moments of extra setup time.
MelodyFPL

Number of posts : 943
Registration date : 2011-07-02

http://www.nyfacepaintlady.com

Back to top Go down

Post by barbb919 on Tue May 15, 2012 12:36 am

thanks melody great idea
barbb919

Number of posts : 2109
Registration date : 2010-03-23

http://tappysfacepainting.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by MelodyFPL on Tue May 15, 2012 8:19 am

SuzySparkles wrote:I take pics at almost every party. On my contract that they fill out I ask if it is ok to photograph the kids at the event and they almost always put yes. Never had an issue.

I have something similar. Mine says by signing the contract they give permission to take and use photos. Should they prefer photos NOT be taken, to let me know.
Same idea.
MelodyFPL

Back to top Go down

Post by Doe on Tue May 15, 2012 12:10 pm

MelodyFPL wrote:I have the solution.
I often set up my camera and tripod behind me, pointed at an appropriate height and angle for kid-sized people, and I have a handy dandy remote. I paint the face, show them the mirror, point at the camera behind me and say "Smile!" and then push the button on the remote three times. One in three pics is almost always a keeper in my experience.
Super easy, super dependable, and only takes a couple moments of extra setup time.

LIKE! super like.
Doe

Number of posts : 406
Registration date : 2011-08-26

http://www.doearts.com

Back to top Go down

Post by MelodyFPL on Tue May 15, 2012 12:48 pm

It works I love it!
MelodyFPL

Back to top Go down

Post by zeebee on Tue May 15, 2012 6:55 pm

super cool idea Melody!
zeebee

Number of posts : 169
Registration date : 2010-05-21

Back to top Go down

Post by zeebee on Tue May 15, 2012 6:57 pm

Lorie, that was really lucky to have that photo booth right by you, those pics are adorable, esp that tiger!
zeebee

Number of posts : 169
Registration date : 2010-05-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Luvs to paint on Tue May 15, 2012 9:16 pm

Thanks! It turned a blustery rainy day with a reduced crowd into a pretty fun day. I'm glad I was able to watch the kids ham it up in front of the camera.
Luvs to paint

Back to top Go down

Post by FunnyFacesCC on Wed May 16, 2012 12:42 am

When i was really hurting for pics, I had a form that is sort of a make-shift revamp on a model release form I found online. It's way more generic, if that's even possible, but I created it to hold about 15 places for parents to sign next to their kids printed name. I would take it to bday parties and keep it on a clip board nearby and if I liked the way the face is turning out I casually tell the parent how cute their kid is and how I would LOVE to get their child's pic to add to my portfolio. They're always flattered and say sure, then I mention the form on the clipboard and they fill it out with no problem. Then I take the few seconds to snap the pic, on a few occasions I was lucky enough to have my boyfriend/photographer along to snap away while I was painting to get some good action shots too. I think the modified release form with multiple names on a page seems less intimidating for parents, maybe it's the group think mentality or the fact it feels less like I'm singling their kid out.

Also, I was having a really hard time finding kids to paint for pics for my festival board, and ended up asking parents from a couple of events I did...it worked out that some of the parents went to a couple parties I was hired for because they ran in the same social circle, but that's how I got most of the pics for my board. I did end up offering a discount after a really long face painting session when I was under the gun, but the parents are happy to help out just because they know it will be a fun way for the kids to spend an afternoon.
FunnyFacesCC

Number of posts : 102
Registration date : 2012-03-11

http://funnyfacesfacepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed May 16, 2012 8:36 am

When I NEED photos I recruit models from co-workers kids... they are usually thrilled to me my "models" and come over to my place for painting and photo sessions. (It helps that I give them copies of the books and magazines that their photos end up in! LOL)

When I was starting out I made a deal with a local daycamp - I would paint the kids free for an activity in exchange for photos. The parents had all already signed release forms for the camp and photography.

Back to top Go down

Post by Face Painting by Jessica on Wed May 16, 2012 9:56 am

Good idea Shannon, I just put an ad on kijiji to exchange my painting for photography... I got a couple replies but I was already booked on those days. Then I made the mistake of answering some make-shift photographer's ad lol... oh god I was so desperate lol
Face Painting by Jessica

Number of posts : 644
Registration date : 2012-04-12

http://www.facepaintingbyjessica.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top