Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Okay, I need your help right out the gate!!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Okay, I need your help right out the gate!!

Post by blackwelder6462 on Wed May 23, 2012 9:05 pm

So this is the deal.
I am a complete and total newbie to face painting, but have a mural painting backround. I have been researching products online for three days. Without having any personal hands on experience with any of the products this is what I can up with: ( please keep in mind I live in Florida, so our summers are hot and humid)

Wolfe Essential Palette 6 Colors
$16.00 x 1
Arty /Rainbow Cake Build Your Own Palette ( 3 round r/b cakes & 12 arty)
$135.00 x 1
Starblend 3x$22.00 ( white, black, red)
$22.00 x 1
Subtotal Amount: $173.00

plus I still need brushes and sponges. (may also get a paradise 12color? kit.soon)
My style is very donna dewberry (one stroke)
My original intention was order from sillyfarms, BUT since I have been doing all my reading and research here, I sort of feel obligated to order from the forum shop. I honestly looked at both, but found the shop forum a bit difficult to navigate. This maybe due to the fact I am very new..

So now to the questions:
1. Do you think this is a decent beginner's setup ( the general product lines)?
2. Does the shop forum carry similar setups at a comparable price? ( I noticed that the shop carries TAG 1 stroke as opposed to arty/cake. As far as I am concerned they are interchangeable)
3. Am I just being silly and should just pay for whats in my shopping cart and so get to the painting?

Thank you very much in advance for all your knowledgeable responses..

blackwelder6462

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://www.tampamakeaface.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Okay, I need your help right out the gate!!

Post by Perry Noia on Wed May 23, 2012 9:23 pm

I don't think that 6 pure colours is going to be enough... just starting, I would seriously skip the arty/rainbows to start with. Maybe a few splits to do your one stroke type stuff, but you can't paint with the individual colours from there and I can't even say only 6 colours that I could work all my faces with..... you NEED black, white, red, pink, purple, orange, green, yellow, brown, blue, gray WITHOUT mixing them with anything. If you have nothing else at all, just start with a bunch of straight colours, starblends and rainbow stuff comes later. Learn to work with the products first.
Perry Noia

Number of posts : 3523
Registration date : 2008-12-12

http://www.perrynoia.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by blackwelder6462 on Wed May 23, 2012 9:33 pm

Perry Noia,
I appreciate the advice in regards to products, how would you spend a budget of 200.00 or so, and where you order from
blackwelder6462

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://www.tampamakeaface.com

Back to top Go down

Post by barbb919 on Wed May 23, 2012 9:38 pm

i agree with perry...start out the the colors she said...you can get the split cakes later..or make your own....you can get alot of stuff for 200.00.. my origninal order was 113.00..i got 13 colors of paint...that was all I needed to start with..I got all DFX you should be able to put together a great kit with 200.00
barbb919

Number of posts : 2109
Registration date : 2010-03-23

http://tappysfacepainting.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by PerfectlyPaintedFaces on Wed May 23, 2012 9:45 pm

I believe TAG 1-strokes are bigger and cheaper than arty cakes? Not totally sure on that, but make sure to compare sizes while comparing prices.

I would personally go:
- Wolfe/DFX White, Black, Red 45g ($11 each)
- DFX Neon Rainbow 50g ($13)
- TAG Pearl Teal, Dark Blue, Lime, Dark Green, Pink, Purple 35g ($9 each)
- TAG 50g rainbow cakes: Tiger, Girl's Night Out (or something similar for girly butterflies) ($14 each)
- Starblends: Red, White, Black ($22)

= $150

Optional: TAG One-strokes: Rainbow, Unicorn, Leaf, Fire ($12 each)

= $198

The reason I recommend getting all those TAG Pearls is a.) they are beautiful and b.) you can make them into versatile 2-colour cakes very easily! A pink/purple is great for butterflies, cats, 'girly tigers'... a light blue/dark blue is good for more butterflies, watery-themes, monsters... light green/dark green is good for monsters, reptiles, jungle, leaves, etc. And when you just want to use one side of the cake, just sponge that one side.

The only not-pearl colours I use are red, black and white. And I actually just bought a TAG Pearl Red for when my Wolfe Red runs out!

And of course, everyone loves neon rainbow. I definitely recommend having one in your kit, kids LOVE rainbow butterflies and tigers like you wouldn't believe.

If you can find a good deal on a premade palette, by all means, go for it! But I personally like buying my cakes separately so I have more liberty to choose my colours.

Good luck!
PerfectlyPaintedFaces

Number of posts : 882
Registration date : 2011-11-03

http://www.perfectlypaintedfaces.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Perry Noia on Wed May 23, 2012 9:51 pm

I use only Snazaroo and I don't do one stroke painting at all, so my choices may not match what you would be looking for. I only recently started using a couple of rainbow cakes, but I painted for 4 years with just straight colours.

My current palette consists of Black, White, Red, Brown/Copper split, Yellow/Green split, Light Purple/Dark Purple split, Light Blue/Turquoise split, Medium blue/Dark blue split, Pink, Sparkle Pink/Sparkle Purple split, Gray, Orange. All the splits are just so that I can carry more colours in my laptop case. Most of them are used as straight colours most of the time. I have one little home made rainbow in a pin box. With that stuff and some white opalescent glitter, you can paint pretty much anything. You can cut back on the light/med/dark repeats to start with and the sparkles and copper are definitely extras, but I like them.
Perry Noia

Number of posts : 3523
Registration date : 2008-12-12

http://www.perrynoia.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by barbb919 on Wed May 23, 2012 9:56 pm

you can also buy the 50 gram 2 color cakes and get more colors...you can buy 12 cakes and have 24 colors...ck out the palletts metina sells on the forum shop
barbb919

Number of posts : 2109
Registration date : 2010-03-23

http://tappysfacepainting.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SuzySparkles on Wed May 23, 2012 10:12 pm

Here is a link to the forum shop

http://www.facepaintforumshop.com/

I agree with perfectly painted faces on the choice of paints....
SuzySparkles

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2009-11-09

Back to top Go down

Post by eva on Wed May 23, 2012 10:21 pm

I started with snaz 18ml pots, but just ordered some tag split color cakes today. It allowed me to get two colors and I think tag hold up better in the heat. I do still like snaz and paradise for bases.

If I were to start over and and had 200 dollars I would order:

Tag splits in the following:
Golden Orange/Red
Berry Wine/pink
Green/medium green
lilac/purple
powder blue/royal blue
orange/yellow
60-70$

DFX or Wolfe black and white 45 or 90gm for line work
30-40$

DFX or TAG neon rainbow
I prefer the DFX because it is ROYGBIV, and the out of order bugs me 15-20$
I also like the true rainbow in Tag 12-16$

Snaz and or Paradise black and white for bases 15-20$

maybe a mini leaf split and a rose split.

Now most of us have ordered multiple brands and have experience with which ones we like, and all of us have different preferences. If you want to try a snaz, they sell it at Michaels and hobby lobby, and party city here sells mini wolfe palettes. These two brands are totally different and will let you see the difference between the more creamy (snazaroo , paradise) and the more waxy (DFX, TAG, Wolfe) I do not advise dumping a ton in things like art cakes/mini splits until you have tried them. Some people love to paint mostly with them then there are painters like me who rarely use them. As a beginner you need time to see which one you are, and what type of paints you like. I also wouldn't recomment investing in all one brand you haven't tried out before. A lot of painters have different preferences for different colors from different brands.
eva

Number of posts : 1108
Registration date : 2008-12-13

http://www.cincinnatifacepainters.com

Back to top Go down

Post by vivi_o7 on Wed May 23, 2012 10:22 pm

I second Perry, you will need the 50 g white and black, then the red, blue, brown, yellow, purple and pink, try a metallic pallet, one or two rainbow cakes, and the difference spend in sponges and brushes, also think about a case to carry all your stuff, the arty cakes case and rainbow cake case, comes little by little, but good luck and welcome to the forum, all people here are fantastic and ready to help!! Very Happy
vivi_o7

Number of posts : 326
Registration date : 2011-02-11

http://fancydesigns.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Griffinblue on Wed May 23, 2012 10:52 pm

I am going to totally disagree and say that I could do just fine with a Wolfe or DFX white, black, and then a nice variety of rainbow cakes/splits. I almost never ever use solid colors, as I prefer the depth I get with blended cakes. If I need a single color, it's easy to pull it from a rainbow. I have been painting steadily for 4 years and still have my starter set of the tiny Wolfe pallet of 12, since I always reach for a split.

Having said that, tag pearls are amazing, and worth getting!
Griffinblue

Number of posts : 195
Registration date : 2011-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Dex on Wed May 23, 2012 11:07 pm

I would say the wolf black & white, TAG 2-splits are the way to go, you can also cut these to add in another colour if you want, like say metallic white
I would buy the regular green/dark green though for monsters, but everything else metallic.
Buy a regular rainbow and you could use it like a one-stroke aswell
I like wolfe & loew cornell brushes and paradise 1-stroke brush
as for sponges I like the smaller red sponges sillyfarm sell for painting kids

I bought heaps of one strokes when i started but I dont use them anymore much. Only TAG snake and one that has white/pink/blue in it

Exclamation !!!WARNING; FACE PAINT CAN BE ADDICTIVE!!! Exclamation

Dex

Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2012-05-16

Back to top Go down

Post by cattsy on Thu May 24, 2012 3:10 am

I started off with two paradise pallettes, the basic and the pastel. They were awesome to start with!!

I would also add DFX/Wolfe black and white. I wish I had them from the begining.

I bought the DFX rainbow as my first split, and though it was great I wish I had bought the Neon.

After the Paradise pallettes I bought the DFX metalix and neon pallette and I still love it.

I've branched out considerably since them, adding quite a few one strokes and rainbow cakes and I'm using them more. I am in love with the tag metalics but I still love the paradise matte colors, they are nice and smooth to work with and blend beautifully.

Anyway, I'm one that started with pallettes, and loved them. I want to get refills for my paradise cause they're great to still grab if I only want a few colors and can throw it in my purse.

Good luck! the first order is so exciting. I would also really recomend Metina, her prices are really good (And I've shopped around) and she's really awesome to work with. She's gotten rush orders and fixed my mistakes and generally been awesome.

Trina
cattsy

Number of posts : 284
Registration date : 2010-10-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Denise Cold on Thu May 24, 2012 5:42 am

It looks like you are more of a one-stroke kind of person than a sponge and outline so I'm going to recommend the following:

Basics:
Wolfe White 90 gm then I split it with Pearl White and mix when sponging
TAG Pearl Black (I split mine with DFX or Wolfe Black and mix them when brushing or sponging)
Red/Pearl Red - mix when sponging
White iridescent glitter
#2 & #4 Rounds
3/4" Squares
1/4" & 1/2" Filberts
Sponges

TAG One Strokes: (they have a lot more paint in them and very vibrant)
Unicorn: Crowns, Flowers, Unicorn mane, butterflies, eye designs
Magpie: Sharks, Skulls, Roses, Eye Designs, Wings
Berry: Same as Unicorn, Roses, Hearts
Ocean: Dolphins, Waves, birds, snowflakes, roses
Snake: Snakes, leaves, dragons, masks, frogs, hummingbird
Dragon: Hibiscus, dragons, masks, snakes, flames, fish
4-Rainbow: Supplement any design (Hello Kitty, Unicorn, Blossoms, Clouds, etc.)

Rainbow Cakes:
DFX Neon Rainbow -OR- I love the Carnival...it makes a beautiful neon rainbow but is so vibrant!
Homemade - Golden Orange/Pink/Lt. Blue

2-Color Splits: (you might have to buy and repot...these are my split choices)
Reg. Dark Blue/Light Blue
Reg. Dark Green/Lt. Green
Reg. Brown/Mid Brown (or Bisque)
Pearl Orange/Pearl Yellow
Pearl Teal/Pearl Rose
Pearl Gold/Pearl Copper
Pearl Purple/Pearl Lilac
Pearl Silver/Pearl Lt. Blue
(I would love you to have all the pearls, you just don't NEED them yet.)

I like to use the two-color splits as bases for about everything and then I can supplement with a one-stroke (like the edges of butterfly masks or monster masks) or I can add pearl white or white as the third color and it's like having a rainbow cake. You can also use the middle of the splits as one-strokes.

Too tired...hope this mess makes sense.

D.
Denise Cold

Number of posts : 2717
Registration date : 2011-04-06

http://www.denisecold.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Denise Cold on Thu May 24, 2012 5:46 am

Oh yeah...you are in Florida so you need Starblends: Love the red, pink and orange...they are really WOW! White for any eye/muzzle, Black for shading any boy design eyes to get that Wolfe Brother's look and for Skulls and Black Spidey...not a big fan of the blue or green as far as coverage. I've heard purple is spotty too. I'm going to get myself a brown so I can do puppies.

D.
Denise Cold

Number of posts : 2717
Registration date : 2011-04-06

http://www.denisecold.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmbook on Thu May 24, 2012 8:52 am

I will tell you that in FL heat, those small Wolfe Palettes will get gloppy & get used up very fast. That is what I started with along w/ some Snazaroo. Everyone has a personal preference. When I put a volunteer palette together for my church team I think red, orange, yellow, green blue, purple, Black, white, pink & brown. This will cover what you need. The best paints for FL are probably Paradise for your base & then Wolfe for your line work(white & black). There are some nice small palettes of paradise till you can make the big purchase. Snazaroo has a hard time in FL & can get pretty mushy in the heat (if you do get it, set it on ice packs while painting).
Psalmbook

Number of posts : 7642
Registration date : 2010-03-09

http://www.wix.com/psalmbook/Lindas-Face-Painting

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Jayde on Thu May 24, 2012 4:12 pm

I'm with Psalmbook.
If I had the moulah, I'd buy the following

Paradise (Matte Colors):$8.99ea
Black (because I like to have a blending black and white as well as a lining black and white)
White
Beach Berry or Red (I prefer the Red I think...which ever is the darker)
Dark Pink
Wild Orchid
Lagoon Blue
Lime Green
Light Brown
Orange (if you can find it)
Yellow
------------------------------------------> $89.90

Wolfe (for line work): $10.00ea
45gm White
45gm Black
-------------------------------------------> $21.98
Wolfe Neon Rainbow $15.99
-------------------------------------------> $15.99

Starblends $9.99ea
Black
White
Red
-------------------------------------------> $29.97

Glitter
1oz bottle of Iridescent Blue Fairy Glitter $4.99
1/2oz. bottle of Sunny Yellow Glitter (looks stunning on rainbows) $2.99
--------------------------------------------> $7.98

Grand Total: $165.82 which will leave you about $34 to pick out a couple (or 3 little rainbow cakes (which I can't even begin to help you pick out Embarassed ) or even a few brushes.
Lady Jayde

Number of posts : 1844
Registration date : 2009-08-10

http://www.imaginastic-facepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Luvs to paint on Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:42 am

Don't forget some sponges and good brushes. add an orange starblend to that list for tigers. I apply my starblends with cheap powder puffs the cosmetic department. also add maybe a gold, silver, or platinum suzy's sparkle liquid bling gel.
Luvs to paint

Number of posts : 726
Registration date : 2011-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top