Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

To repot or not?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

To repot or not?

Post by joe_wibble on Sat May 26, 2012 3:07 am

I'm sorry if this is already somewhere else but I tried the search and came up empty.

Here's the thing I am a new painter and I LOVE my paints and am still practising and am currently just face painting as a hobby (my only creative release). I use all TAG paints (they are the easiest to get here in AUS) and I am wondering about whether or not to repot them into some sort of tackly box, segmented box thing instead.

On the one hand they look nice in there little round containers, I can get my sponge in them and i know what all the colours codes are because they are in the original packaging.

On the other hand, i have so many colours (all of which I swear i need LOL) and I cannot see them all at once, my kit is huge, i hate taking all the lids off and putting all the lids on, it would be faster to set up if they were in one container and then the split cakes can stay in the container and sit inside the laptop case.

So I'm torn!! What do you guys think? Is it better in different containers? Do you love it? Regret it? Pictures would be great, I have a couple containers in mind but i would like to know what others think would work.

Thanks in advance!
Rei

joe_wibble

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2012-02-16

Back to top Go down

Re: To repot or not?

Post by Coral3 on Sat May 26, 2012 4:03 am

I have all mine still in their original containers...but I've stopped using the lids. I have all my paint stored in clear slim plastic document cases, which each fit 12 round 32g cakes - so now I just open one lid per 12 cakes Smile
Coral3

Number of posts : 570
Registration date : 2012-01-01

Back to top Go down

Post by JENDZS on Sat May 26, 2012 8:40 am

Coral, I am trying to picture your set up - could you take a pic and post it? I would love to see it. Thanks!
JENDZS

Number of posts : 159
Registration date : 2010-11-15

http://www.facepaintingbyjen.com

Back to top Go down

Post by eva on Sat May 26, 2012 9:44 am

I personally am too messy to use the tackle organizer type thing. Have you considered doing two color splits like half red and half pink for instance. You could cut your kit in half with the same amount of colors. I also find it handy to be able to load two colors on my sponge at one time. I use my yellow/orange for quick tigers and teal/pink for my bird face. I also do not use the lids, only on my rainbows.

On the other hand lots of people here have repotted, some loved it and some hated it.
eva

Number of posts : 1108
Registration date : 2008-12-13

http://www.cincinnatifacepainters.com

Back to top Go down

Post by vegas mom on Sat May 26, 2012 10:15 am

I repotted all my one color tags into 2x2 acrylic squares. I can fit an entire 45g in the container. Then I put them in a 9 3/4 x 13 1/2 jewelry display box. It holds 15 colors. As far as lids. I like the lids to keep fingers and dust out.
vegas mom

Number of posts : 778
Registration date : 2011-11-06

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Magic-Wand-Face-Painting-and-Glit

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat May 26, 2012 11:32 am

This is mine - they are Snazaroo palettes but contain many brands. The split cake palette is a LoewCornell Paint Saver which BTW, I have removed from my kit as I wasn't using it often enough to want to continue packing it around.

Back to top Go down

Post by elantaura on Sat May 26, 2012 12:26 pm

Hi I like round cakes for my solid colours but I split them. i.e light and dark green, yellow/orange etc

I bought two round inserts spilt all my cakes except 6 -I think I change out a pot every now and again depending on what Iam doing so unsure.

I use the tag pots 32gm in the inserts on either side of the tag pallette -it folds in half for the rounds if you dont lid the paints. (I dont have the rectangles so don't know if it works for them)

I put the pearl splits on one side, regular on the other so my Tag pallete has 42 colours in it. (I think) plus black and white seperate.

I like round pots for the solid colours - rectangles for splits but thats just me I know most people like the rectangles.

elantaura

Number of posts : 728
Registration date : 2011-08-22

http://suejuddfacepaintingandbodyart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Dex on Sat May 26, 2012 8:09 pm

Hi Joe. Welcome! I wouldnt suggest repotting into another type of container, especially if you like to pick your paint pot up to load your sponge.
I would suggest cutting all your plain colours in half and putting light green/dark green together and so forth, so that will cut the pots required in your case in half.
Put the others aside and use as refills or to make rainbow cakes.
I dont use the foam inserts as you can then fit more in.
I have got some velcro dots and stuck my paint containers to the lid side of the lap top case. If you do this with your round TAG pots you will most likely need to get rid of the lids for your case to close, unless you have the square containers.
Next time you order start ordering the 2 splits in the square containers and you will fit more containers in your case.
I can fit 18 square containers and 2 one strokes just in 1 side of my black laptop case.
TAG does not sell solid colours in the 50g square containers in Australia, seriously I dont know why!?!?!
Happy painting!
Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation WARNING FACE PAINT CAN BE ADDICTIVE Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation

Dex

Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2012-05-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Coral3 on Sat May 26, 2012 8:47 pm

Dex wrote:TAG does not sell solid colours in the 50g square containers in Australia, seriously I dont know why!?!?!

I know! I really wish they would!! (I would buy from the forum shop but can't justify paying the freight to Australia)
Coral3

Back to top Go down

Post by Miss Ronnie on Sat May 26, 2012 9:19 pm

Dear Rei.... To re-pot or not to re-pot; that is the question.
Whether 'tis nobler to suffer the backache of carrying around all individual containers
Or go out and buy a compartment container.... to buy or go to sleep....?

Hmmmmmm.... I had to take the plunge and re-pot because I had the same problem you are having; too much paint, can't organize an effective set-up so that you can find everything at you fingertips. Very Happy
Miss Ronnie

Number of posts : 3089
Registration date : 2011-08-28

http://www.wix.com/missronnie/fantasyfaces

Back to top Go down

Post by Dex on Sat May 26, 2012 9:26 pm

When the US dollar is down it is a good time to buy from the US, not so good at the moment, but you will notice that some of the paints are cheaper at the forum shop than in Oz, so it sort of works out the same even with the freight if you buy $150 worth of stuff.
And not everything is available in Australia, so I guess what is it worth to you to have it?
But did ask Joe at tag (a while ago) and he said they wont be doing it either, so maybe all us Aussies out there should be requesting it of him, he might get the hint! bounce

Dex

Back to top Go down

Post by Dex on Sat May 26, 2012 9:39 pm

So, I have changed this slightly since the pic was taken, but you get the idea. These are the only paints I take to a gig unless i need to use my special fx kit too (which is pretty basic)

Dex

Back to top Go down

Post by Coral3 on Sat May 26, 2012 9:55 pm

Dex wrote:So, I have changed this slightly since the pic was taken, but you get the idea. These are the only paints I take to a gig unless i need to use my special fx kit too (which is pretty basic)

That plastic document case is the same kind of thing I use - I just don't have lids on my individual pots any more...I just use the lid on the case to protect the whole lot.
Coral3

Back to top Go down

Post by beckibut7 on Sat May 26, 2012 10:39 pm

Very cool. I found a great case at Wal-mart that is for scrap booking. It has a 2 fold lid. The 1st level is narrow but still deep enough to hold my arty cakes as well as my brushes. I placed a velcro strip along the case and then a small piece to each brush handle (above the "water line" for rinsing) so now all my brushes are right there and the bristles are kept very safe. The small cakes go under those. Then if you lift the 2nd layer of the lid, it is deep enough for my palettes as well as glitters, mirror, Wolf stack, Diamond FX stack, baby wipes, make-up remover, brush sanitizer, spray bottles, water basins(one folds) etc......Basically everything I need all in one case which has a handle and shoulder strap. I LOVE this case! I can however, see that I will need a 3rd lap top case for my arty cakes soon, but it will fit too when the time comes. flower
beckibut7

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2012-03-11

http://www.facebook.com/FaceAndBodyPaintByBecki

Back to top Go down

Post by joe_wibble on Sat May 26, 2012 11:37 pm

All these ideas sound awesome....

I am still not sure what i want to do with them. My problem is I have a tiny pallette, because i was just trying it out as a hobby - once they run out i think i'll get the splits of the basic colours.

My extra colours are all those delicious pearl colours (of which i hope to get more of)

so many options!!!

joe_wibble

Back to top Go down

Post by Tilly - Formerly Punky on Sat May 26, 2012 11:46 pm

Becki, do you have a picture or al ink to show that container?? It sounds interesting and I'd love to see it!
Tilly - Formerly Punky

Number of posts : 1186
Registration date : 2010-04-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Dex on Sun May 27, 2012 12:58 am

LOL Joe! Hobby or no hobby, I doubt you will get to run out stage before you place your next order. We've all been there! lol!

Dex

Back to top Go down

Post by 1HappyNut on Sun May 27, 2012 1:13 am

beckibut7 wrote: I found a great case at Wal-mart that is for scrap booking. It has a 2 fold lid. The 1st level is narrow but still deep enough to hold my arty cakes as well as my brushes. I placed a velcro strip along the case and then a small piece to each brush handle (above the "water line" for rinsing) so now all my brushes are right there and the bristles are kept very safe. The small cakes go under those. Then if you lift the 2nd layer of the lid, it is deep enough for my palettes as well as glitters, mirror, Wolf stack, Diamond FX stack, baby wipes, make-up remover, brush sanitizer, spray bottles, water basins(one folds) etc......Basically everything I need all in one case which has a handle and shoulder strap. I LOVE this case!

Tilly, I second that: Becki, I'd also love to see a visual!
1HappyNut

Number of posts : 632
Registration date : 2011-06-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Coral3 on Sun May 27, 2012 2:02 am

Me too - sounds interesting!

In an ideal world I'd LOVE to have a magnetic kit...I want something that stops the paints moving around (& minimises theft), while allowing me to still pick up/hold paint while using it. I have an implanted defibrillator/pacemaker though and find the idea of having lots of magnets near me a bit scary. Velcro would be the other option, but it seems a little messy/awkward compared to magnets -?
Coral3

Back to top Go down

Post by elantaura on Sun May 27, 2012 10:53 am

ok this is my event kit- which these days I use more of than the party kit this comes to any job 2 hour plus. I do change out the pots/colours depending upon the designs I am doing.
Image hosted by servimg.com
this is it folded up
and I dont always take that much paint this is my small kit (partys) I do want to get a couple of small tag sampler palettes to replace the big one eventually but waiting for now.

I posted this as you said that you have round pots. you can split the cakes not all of mine are split but I stucture my splits based on what I have on offer.I have some spares lying about that I swap over and some full colours and what type of event I am doing.e. when I did a zombie event alot of the colours were out and a pile of skin tones were in. when it is kids lots of colours, when its girls lots of pink.

I like the tag cases and inserts just to fill both sides. the one strokes/ splits dont fold away though, you can see the insert between the pallettes. I wrap it between the two using modelling balloons as giant elastic bands.
the pallette on the right is paradise, I didn't like that they didnt double up to fold in the laptop case....so I repotted my paradise into the tag lids I wrote the colour batch etc on the bottom before I did though.

I can pack all of my paints in about 20 seconds to end painting this way then I stand around sorting out the brushes - now that takes a while.

elantaura

Back to top Go down

Post by Dex on Sun May 27, 2012 8:48 pm

Wow Susan - I think you have more paint in your kit than I own! LOL! Had to look up ur site to see what you use it all for. You have some awesome stuff on there and your spiders are just plain creepy (that's a compliment by the way!)
Dare I ask about your brushes? Mine all fit in an art bin brush holder and your's?[img][/img]

Dex

Back to top Go down

Post by joe_wibble on Mon May 28, 2012 12:09 am

Do you guys put something between the layers of paint or am i confused?

It seems like you put paint in both sides of the laptop case but when they close they'd be on top of eachother won't they drip on each other after a gig? Aren't your paints wet too? or are mine just too wet? huh?

joe_wibble

Back to top Go down

Post by elantaura on Mon May 28, 2012 1:00 am

I used to put somthing either a laminated sheet or some wax paper between but I dont anymore as I go home and wipe them down that night and air them they rarely drip. more than that I still have mix marks on top when I pack them I am a fix that with the wipe down later anyway so not a problem.
elantaura

Back to top Go down

Post by Dex on Mon May 28, 2012 1:03 am

That's right, they close on top of each other, but if they are running/dripping wet then, yes your paints are too wet, you may need to dab the top of your paints with a baby wipe or some paper towel before closing your case.
The only paints that get too wet in my case would be my black and white if i get a bit carried away or if i've done a full day gig.
I always get my stuff out when I get home and give it a good wipe over anyhow. I also leave it open overnight to air out before putting it away.
Have you watched any of LisaJoyYoung on youtube?

Dex

Back to top Go down

Post by elantaura on Mon May 28, 2012 1:28 am

Theses are the brushes I only usually unpack this one the one that is packed away is in my bag for spares or stange things as sometimes I have to retire a brush.. for partys I can just take the one lot too. I am learning to leave the spares when it comes to that.
This is them packed away in the elastics also the luminares/ smothies that I don't use at event in general but if I haven't been to a venue or I know that there will be only a few kids I bring this as well because if I have 4 hour and 20 kids I am going to fill that time - (I am doing some nursing home family days so unfortunatley not many kids. they sadly just don't turn up to visit, but they still want me for 4 hours as it says it on the flyers to the familys etc)

this is them folded

it takes a long time as to pack then so that the flats, filberts are flat and butterfly brush ect so they don't misshape. it works…it just takes time, but if my paints are away it usually isn't a problem as paints away gives the message… painting has ended.
Also as I paint and twist I close the pallettes quick and grab my balloons - so the party is still moving and no one is in my paints. I come back and pack it in the bag at the end.

But even with so much paint... If I had to only work from one palette it would be the tag one.
the reason my event kit is that large is I have a regular event where I paint between 17 to 19 per hour. I found the only way I could get to this number was by having a large kit with paradise for bases, Tags for lines and a few splits. At parties I am painting 12 per hour so I have time to fiddle around with small pots - it is me others will do it different.
but splitting the Tag although I was reluctant at first was a good move as i can use them to one stoke mix a dark and light on a sponge on the cake and make a medium colour I have pearls on one side and regular on the other.
with the paradise I have colours like pinks and blues etc next to each other in a line so i can move up the line of them to mix ect with the one strokes I know that the top line and the one closest to the splits on each row I use the most often - leaf green is the exception but I know where it is now so just kind of left it.
elantaura

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top