Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

First birthday party jitters

View previous topic View next topic Go down

First birthday party jitters

Post by vegas mom on Wed May 30, 2012 11:49 am

Friday night is my first birthday party. About 15 children, ages 5-14. It's at night about 5pm. I have everything I hope I need...
MSDS on the paints
How to remove instructions
Glitters, brushes, mop brushes, daubers, starblends, tags, rainbows, one strokes, Dfx white and black
Rinse bowls, sponges, temp tattoos. Stuff for glitter tattoos( will have to practice today)
Spray bottles,q-tips, towels, plastic buckets and a way to carry most.

This is like an interview and am suppose to paint the b- day girl(7) something more elaborate than the rest. I was asked just to do some simple cheek art on the other kids.

I've looked at lots of pics, tutorials, practiced some designs but am soo nervous that I may not be ready.

What's the best way to display for the party what you feel comfortable painting?
vegas mom

Number of posts : 778
Registration date : 2011-11-06

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Magic-Wand-Face-Painting-and-Glit

Back to top Go down

Re: First birthday party jitters

Post by Perry Noia on Wed May 30, 2012 12:28 pm

I don't do display pics at private parties, I paint whatever they want... and while I may give the birthday child more glitter and glitter gel, I don't do anything less on the others. I definitely don't like doing cheek art except for the couple of designs that are on my display boards. Cheek art will take you just as long, be as difficult or worse and never ends up looking as nice as the larger stuff.

That being said, sounds like you have all the materials that you'll need and if you want to put out some display pictures for them to choose from, then do it... you can put them in a little album or laminate them and spread them out on the table or floor for the kids to pick from. You're more ready for it than I was for my first face painting gig... I had gotten my Usborne book the day of the event and really didn't have a clue what I was doing as I went into my kids' school to paint for tips (AKA free)
Perry Noia

Number of posts : 3523
Registration date : 2008-12-12

http://www.perrynoia.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by fesspenter on Wed May 30, 2012 12:37 pm

Dear Vegas Mom:
In the beginning, I had a small photo album from the Dollar store. I put the four pictures that I had taken of my children as a Tiger, Butterfly, Cheetah, and a Blue Tiger.
I should have just had a word list of what I could do.
About the birthday girl having a fabulous face and her guests having only a fabulous cheek.....
Whatever the birthday girl has done, the other girls will want what she has. That mother will have her hands full with crying guests if her daughter goes FIRST. The birthday girl will appear to be gracious if she waits and has her face done LAST.
About doing cheek art...Cheek art takes longer to do than a full face.

Bring Model Release Forms so Moms can sign them to give you permission to take pictures for your website. Bring a friend who can handle the picture taking.

I do paint whatever the guests want on their face. When I get to the birthday child, I "Bling it up!". Glitter, jewels, Suzy Sparkles Luquid Bling. I paint into their hair (with permission). I give them matching "paws" or painted on lacy gloves. I won't "dumb down" my designs for guests, I WILL go over the top for the birthday child.
Other artists on this Forum may have different opinions. Listen to all of them, and choose what feels right for you (which may include ignoring what I say).
Happy Painting!
xoxo
fesspenter

Number of posts : 3333
Registration date : 2011-04-29

http://www.wix.com/lisaleyes/facepaintbylisaleyes

Back to top Go down

Post by facesbybelle on Wed May 30, 2012 1:34 pm

Wow, you sure look like your ready, materials, tutorials and great advice from the forum... Smile
I don't do too many gigs, but I always check out the forum for tips and advice right before because it gives me confidence and calms my nerves.
Have fun and hope you get some photos!
facesbybelle

Number of posts : 707
Registration date : 2011-03-20

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/pages/Faces-by-Belle/20513790

Back to top Go down

Post by girlbyjuly on Wed May 30, 2012 6:22 pm

You sound very prepared with supplies! Private parties are my main thing, so I'm totally on your wavelength. I have a regular size binder with sheet protectors that have my examples on them. I do usually paint the birthday kid first. I personally am an advocate of cheek/arm art, it doesn't take me any longer than the other stuff. Really lots of parents don't get that you should leave it up to the kid to pick! It makes everyone's life easier if you just let the kids have fun and decide what they want themselves.
girlbyjuly

Number of posts : 82
Registration date : 2010-11-08

http://www.facepaintingorangecounty.com

Back to top Go down

Post by vegas mom on Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:25 am

Thanks for all the information in this forum. I did the party. Learned a lot. The family and children were great!! Lessons learned. No last call! I had 10 kids line up at the last minute. The party started 1 hour later then what was thought by the planner. Bring lots of glitter and stencils for both boys and girls.. I painted one pegasus (LJY) hello kitty, lots of dauber spiders( used flame one stroke) unicorn on cheek, hearts, dragon, dragonflies(3), tiger and about 8 -10 glitter tats. I was there actually with children 2 1/2 hours. I also painted an older girl A Tree of Life in blues and dk purple. I hope to get copies from the photographer. All in in it was a lot of fun.
vegas mom

Number of posts : 778
Registration date : 2011-11-06

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Magic-Wand-Face-Painting-and-Glit

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top