Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

CO2 tanks for airbrushing? Where do I start looking?!?!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

CO2 tanks for airbrushing? Where do I start looking?!?!

Post by Becky521 on Thu May 31, 2012 8:43 am

Those of you that airbrush with CO2 tanks, where do you get your tanks/regulators? Do you buy or rent them? I'm in a pretty busy pharma area, so there are loads of gas suppliers around, but I don't know if they supply on such a small basis.

How do you know if you are getting a good price on the equipment? Is there a difference between CO2 tanks for aquarium use, paintball use, etc or are all tanks created equal?

I would like a couple of 20 lb tanks so I don't have to refill them as often and I can have one to use and one to fill, but I'm not sure how/where to get started! There is a once per month vendor street fair event in the downtown area where I work my day job that I'd like to do airbrush tattooing at, but I don't want to need electricity for my compressor, as they can't always guarantee it's availability!

Any advise would be great! Thanks!

Becky521

Number of posts : 438
Registration date : 2012-03-07

Http://fantasticfacesbybecky.com

Back to top Go down

Re: CO2 tanks for airbrushing? Where do I start looking?!?!

Post by leapinglizards on Thu May 31, 2012 10:32 am

Usually you buy a tank, and then pay for refills... they make refill your tank, or swap out with tanks. Note. tanks need an electrostatic test every so many years, so if you buy it, ask them to show you the date stamp and explain how to read it.

I paid about $125 for my tank and it's like $8 to fill it. I keep the same tank. It lasts me a LONG time.

Silly farm sells "recycled" tanks- which I assume just means they get older tanks that have just been recertified. Not drastically cheaper than just getting a new tank.

DO NOT put the tank INSIDE your car with you, if it is a summer day. It WILL blow the overpressure valve.

Remember co2 is heavier than air. Use only in well ventillated areas.

When transporting, make sure the tank is insulated or wrapped, and secure so it cannot fall, tip or roll

leapinglizards

Number of posts : 1061
Registration date : 2009-10-31

http://www.livecanvasart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Noella on Thu May 31, 2012 9:04 pm

I have 6 of the 9oz paintball tanks - they each do 400 or so of a palm size stencil/space - and I can tell how much CO2 is left in each one by weighing it (I mark on it with a grease/china pencil to note how much is in each one at home, then I erase the marks if I've used it at an event so I know to check or refill it before the next event). Having multiple small ones works for me - we can have many people working without having to share an air source (or we can share and just change out the tanks more often) and I know exactly how many we have air left to do - with the 6 tanks I have about 24 hours of working time. They are also small and easy to carry - I have two small coolers that hold 3 in each upright and fit into a comfortable place in my setup to stay safe for transport. I have a local paintball place that will refill when I need - I tend to get 3 filled at a time for about $5 total.

If I were to need more hours (for instance for a larger festival or event) it is a simple matter to get more paintball tanks - I can get a 20oz (that will fit on the same regulators I have) for $20 locally....
Noella

Number of posts : 532
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Becky521 on Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:07 am

The smaller tanks are an interesting idea for just starting up. It will just take an extra couple minutes to move the regulator over when the tank empties out.

If you don't transfer them IN your vehicle with you, how DO you transport them? Do you have some sort of a trailer or strap it to your roof? I have minivan to transport all my gear. If you run the AC first to normalize the vehicle temperature, would you be able to transport it then? Obviously I'm a completely newb about transporting any compressed gasses (except for helium for balloons). Leapinglizards - how long does a 20lb tank last for you on average (hours actively painting I guess). If I'm doing a 4 hour gig of tattoos, do I NEED 2 tanks that first month, or could I get away with 1 tank and then buy the 2nd one before the 2nd month to spread out the cost? I'm already going to be fronting the bankroll for the paint and stencils, so only having to buy 1 CO2 tank would be a short-term money saver.
Becky521

Back to top Go down

Post by Noella on Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:05 am

If I'm doing a 4 hour gig of tattoos - even doing a hundred tattoos an hour (or fewer large ones or cleaning out or with an air leak) - I only go through one 9 oz tank (I bring 3 to have two spares). A 20lb tank is a lot lot more than that - there are 16 oz in a lb - so that's more than 20 4 hour gigs (depending on what setup you use, how many people are spraying and how much air loss you have due to cleaning or leaks).

I believe what leapinglizards was saying regarding the tank was don't leave a tank in a hot car - or have it in any way unsafely stored (it can be a real danger) - I store mine in coolers (with something cool - but not ice - to help regulate the temperature near them), and I secure them when in transit so they cannot move - and always make sure they are taken from the car right away and not returned after an event till the car is sufficiently cooled down/aired out. Basically I try to put them in a vehicle as far away from people as possible, however secured to not be a danger in the event of an accident or other unforeseeable circumstance.
Noella

Back to top Go down

Post by leapinglizards on Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:25 am

The reason you need to be careful with them INSIDE a car- aside from the overpressure issue, is often the valves have slow leaks. In an enclosed space, you can pass out from too high a concentration of CO2. If you have to put the tank inside, make sure the AC is running, but also crack the window open for fresh air. During hotter months, I usually ask them to UNDER fill the tanks a bit as well- Since with the FLA heat, they can over pressure really fast.

leapinglizards

Number of posts : 1061
Registration date : 2009-10-31

http://www.livecanvasart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Becky521 on Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:07 pm

All excellent advice! Thank you!!!
Becky521

Back to top Go down

Post by Noella on Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:08 pm

Ah! I'd never run into the slow leak issue..... (mind you, little tanks, less co2)
Noella

Back to top Go down

What type of regulator for Paintball tanks

Post by Jan DeLight on Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:38 pm

Noella wrote:Ah!  I'd never run into the slow leak issue..... (mind you, little tanks, less co2)

Hi Noella. This method of CO2 tanks sounds awesome! What type of regulator do you use? I have an Iwata HP- BCS I just got and no air supply yet to get started. Thanks much for any advice. I look forward to buying your type of set up and getting started Smile
~Jan
Jan DeLight

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2013-06-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Sweet Loretta on Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:58 pm

Craigslist has good buys on Co2 cylinders aka tanks.
Lot of beer brewers and aquarium folks use them too.

20oz for makeup
5 lb good parties
10 lbs events
20 lbs good for festivals

I can give you a breakdown by hours....but I find newibes use far more gas than experienced painters. Plus I share that in my classes.

Aluminum is hard to find but lighter weight. Most refillers will not fill but swap out your tank.. so you'll end up with steel anyway, unless they refill for you.

All tanks on site must be secured as to not fall over....... as with like with the transport issue..... if the tank is damaged at the valve it can snap off and the tank becomes a shooting rocket. So working around it and transport should be done with care.

It is 103 to 111 degrees this week and we have several gigs....we use our equipment in extreme heat all the time.. have for coming on 15 years. So good advice about heat...but....we'd have been out of work a long time ago if we did not put cylinders in hot vehicles. So don't leave them in hot cars but you may end up transporting in and out while it is hot.

I suggest your read the MSDS on Co2 and the DOT regulations on transporting gas.
Sweet Loretta

Number of posts : 744
Registration date : 2008-09-25

http://www.sweet-loretta.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Fun Frog on Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:06 pm

Does the tank have to have CO2 or will compressed air work the same. Hubby and son are sucba divers and I could repurpose an air tank.
Fun Frog

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2011-05-17

http://www.funfrogfacepainting.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by a face painting mom on Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:57 am

Also switiching to Co2, and have these questions!

Can someone be specific for me, the fittings on tanks for beer and paint ball will also fit my regulator? Yes or no? Will I need an adaptor for either one?

How do you secure your bottles at a gig? I have ideas, but why reinvent the wheel? Thanks in advance.
a face painting mom

Number of posts : 1913
Registration date : 2011-07-13

http://www.afacepaintingmom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by fesspenter on Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:14 pm

Dear Fun Frog:
Please make sure you mark the repurposed air tanks as CO2, so you do not kill your scuba diving family.
I would not repurpose an air tank into a CO2 tank to avoid any horrible mistakes.
fesspenter

Number of posts : 3333
Registration date : 2011-04-29

http://www.wix.com/lisaleyes/facepaintbylisaleyes

Back to top Go down

Post by Fun Frog on Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:05 pm

Fesspenter, I'm not intending to fill the tank with CO2 just thought that air pressure would do the same job for spraying the paint. Then I could use the small amounts of AIR that remains in the tank after each dive before refilling with AIR. Quite fond of hubby and son. Think I'll keep them a little longer:D 
Fun Frog

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2011-05-17

http://www.funfrogfacepainting.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sweet Loretta on Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:52 pm

Yes you can use compressed air aka scuba. But as "mom" is asking the whole system simply (or not so simply as many can atest) need to fit together.

As for fittings?....paint ball tanks have special fitting re their size that some have adapted for airbrush makeup, as talked about in this thread. They just tend to be smaller tanks and most available airbrush fittings work best as the threadings  also fit for CO2 cylinders meant for beer.

The fittings?? The fittings for the hoses do need to fit your regulator. And yes while many are the same, if you buy used or knockoff brands you can get varied fittings. if it works it works but they do have to fit together. So you may or may not need adapters or to switch out all the "fittings".

I am teaching airbrush classes as is Donna Nowack at the Face Painting and Body Art Convention is St Louis, MO, November 10-15, 2013.
Our classes will have anybody leaving ready to airbrush for profit and fun. We plan to cover it all from equipment setup, troubleshooting, tattoos, face painting, body painting, sponge and brush with airbrush, FX makeup, stencils, tips, tricks and boy are we fun. Donna and I have some great classes in store.

Most the class are just being posted so keep an eye out.

www.fpbaconvention.com
Sweet Loretta

Back to top Go down

Post by a face painting mom on Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:10 pm

Thanks Loretta!
I plan on being in St. Louis, so I will be at your class for sure.
Question, found 20 cubic foot tanks, that is a 5 lb, right? Is the 20 LB like 3 feet tall?
a face painting mom

Number of posts : 1913
Registration date : 2011-07-13

http://www.afacepaintingmom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by tatume on Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:27 pm

Hello every one
I a new user and new to airbrushing too,wanted to ask.
has anybody got more than 5 mid size tattoos from a 20oz paintball can? my set up is as fallowed
20oz paintball can
adapter to connect to a regulator
co2 regulator
and hose to airbrush.
Just got  5 mid size airbrush tattoos out of this 20oz can, I thought after reading this threads I could get at least more than 5 tattoos. Anyone has any suggestion?
will greatly appreciate any input.
Thanks
Tatume

tatume

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2014-11-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Sweet Loretta on Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:27 pm

Co2 cylinders are most common in theses sizes.
5 lb - 10 lb - 20 lb

I know some seller list the cubic feet. So the conversion is 1 lb equals about 8.7 cubic feet.

What is most important is what kind of gigs do you plan to do, figure that out and get a cylinder sized accordingly.

Paintball 20oz are fine for MUAs but not for airbrush tattoos gigs.
Sweet Loretta

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top