Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Paradise vs TAG

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Paradise vs TAG

Post by anniel on Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:47 am

sweethaven...you can go to Disguises & try their samples, they are always good about that!
anniel

Number of posts : 2312
Registration date : 2010-12-27

http://entertainment-etc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by alezmata on Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:04 am

I have paradise, and after using it, I hated it, I wanted to give it away, post on the forum for sale, swap, but have since changed my mind. Very Happy Like all brands you need to get use to them. They do have a powdery, matte finish and I always use the white, for my muzzles on the kids, because it dries soft and is flexible. It does not crack or feel tight. The red is absolutely fab. a true red. I find that when I sponged the purple or green I really need to work the paint because if not, I will need to apply another coat. Buy a few of them that work together, pick colors that you would like to have a rainbow cake of, they pop out nicely from the container, stack them and slice, turn them on their side and you'll have a perfectly cut rainbow cake. I do not like the metallic colors, the red is more of a dark brown rust, and the blue metallic is a grey dark blue. The metallics are super crumbly, I find the TAG rainbows and one strokes to be inconsistent, some of the colors are too soft and they wear unevenly, plus the colors get muddy because they are not cut straight, I won't be buying any more for that reason.
alezmata

Number of posts : 59
Registration date : 2011-08-26

Back to top Go down

Post by cattsy on Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:55 pm

I started with paradise and I LOVE them.

I have a ton of TAG now as well, and I love those, but for different reasons!

The paradise blends beautifully, gives great coverage, and feels amazing on the skin. I always forget I'm wearing it when I use my paradise.

It SUCKS for linework, too soft.

It does take a different touch than TAG though for sure. You have to work it up a bit more and don't use too much water.

cattsy

Number of posts : 284
Registration date : 2010-10-12

Back to top Go down

Post by freedspirit on Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:28 pm

I have around 50/50 tag / paradise as well... I LOVE paradise...I find it goes on really well..great for bases and I am just starting to get the hang of the black for line work..Yay.. I use a lot of the Tag Pearls...cos they are just yummy...I feel that tag dries faster that paradise...I have 2 x 12 pallettes of the paradise with spares..One for whoever is helping me at festivals..I do them in Halves colour combos...dark pink/light pink etc..I give mine a good spritz and rub with the sponge to get em going,.I agree with them being softer to the touch..No harm in trying them Denise. It's funny I always like my double tip flowers better when I use the paradise white also.
freedspirit

Number of posts : 884
Registration date : 2011-03-03

http://www.facecreationz.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Jayde on Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:40 pm

elantaura wrote:I never understand why people take sides of brands facepainting.mabye it loyalty, mabye it is what works for you?

I have to agree about using whatever works for you . Since we're all different, our techniques are going to vary...even if by slight degree. I don't understand the taking sides thing...I've never seen it really. I see people liking what they like and if anyone wants to disparage a painter for her choice of product that's just silly and indicative of someone with too much time on his/her hands (unless we're comparing craft paints and acrylics to professional face paints...then I understand the "sides" thing).

I personally don't have a brand I'm loyal to. I like Paradise and Kryolan for their blendability. FAB offers some colors I like, but I won't buy it again until I'm assured that they have gotten rid of all of the granny perfume paint. I don't see the accelerated wear on my Paradise but I paint a lot of corporate gigs where full faces aren't the norm. I like TAG and Wolfe for line work, but rarely use a beeswax based paint for bases (unless it's a TAG or Wolfe metallic...which I believe is more on the side of glycerine based anyway). I don't use Snaz, mainly because of the vibrancy issue after a few hours of wear and also because I don't need birthday party mom realizing that she can buy my kit in a craft store and never hire me again (a short lived assumption as many discover that it takes more than fancy paint to make a good face painting).

I say live and let paint...do you and let others worry about doing them.All paint is different and
Lady Jayde

Number of posts : 1844
Registration date : 2009-08-10

http://www.imaginastic-facepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Denise Cold on Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:33 pm

I definitely am not starting a brand war but on the other hand I don't want to buy a bunch of paints just because Mark Reid is a fabulous painter and could probably make a beautiful face with cold cream and food dye. pirat

So thankful for your opinions. I decided to buy an olive paradise to try with Hulk faces this weekend (hopefully Metina is as fast as usual!) and it will be a good test of being able to base out a whole face and using black over the top of it. It will also be a good test of whether I'm a bad sponger or I'm using the wrong paint to sponge.

D.

denise@paintedparty.com
www.paintedparty.com

Denise Cold

Number of posts : 2717
Registration date : 2011-04-06

http://www.denisecold.com

Back to top Go down

Post by 1HappyNut on Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:06 pm

Well I for one thank you for starting this interesting topic. I have been watching closely as I have been interested in getting more Paradise than just the 2 I have now.

I don't think anyone was being the least disparaging or out of line with their comments. Everyone stated likes and dislikes with an explanation.

It sounds like many people use a variety of paints for different things. Some paints are good for bases, some line work, and while some colours are comparable there are also some that are better than others and people will go out of their way for that colour even though they may not have any others from that brand. For instance, it sounds like Snaz red is a favorite for Spidey, even for those that own/use no other Snaz.

Hey, Denise, if you want that more sheer look - isn't Snaz perfect for that? I just realized that's some people's beef with it but wouldn't that make it perfect for you?

1HappyNut

Number of posts : 632
Registration date : 2011-06-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Denise Cold on Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:21 pm

I probably would never give up my TAG one-strokes or metallics and now I HAVE to have square containers. LOL! But it is a base issue. If I don't like the feeling of it on my face, my clients won't either and I want them to forget they have it on. It sounds like Paradise has the features I'm hoping for on some level. I've really enjoyed the Starblends for that reason. There's no cracking or stretching, it becomes a part of my face oils, just like Shannon mentioned, because it's a foundation.

On a side note, I tested the Mehron setting spray on the Starblend powders last night. It does say "Don't get in the eyes" so you could use it on older children or people who could keep their eyes closed and you misted very lightly. I was thinking of actually covering with my hand AND having them close their eyes. It did make the color richer and I was able to apply glitter right after I sprayed. It does smell a lot like hair spray though! Smile I could touch the powder and the stripes and plain water beaded on it so it's doing what I had hoped. I'm testing it on myself so I can see what the sweat/durability/comfort level is before I use it on customers.

D.

denise@paintedparty.com
www.paintedparty.com

Denise Cold

Back to top Go down

Post by cattsy on Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:22 pm

Silly heather I think posted on her blog about brands and paint colors. Basically what she said was if you love a color, buy it! Don't allow yourself to be shackled to just one brand of paint. seems like a good plan to me Smile

I try and try something new every time I order. The only thing I'm limited by is what Metina carries haha!

Trina
cattsy

Number of posts : 284
Registration date : 2010-10-12

Back to top Go down

Post by martha on Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:52 pm

Let us know what you settle on Denise. I may try a sampler palette at some point cause some of the attributes of Paradise are appealing. The three I originally got were mauve, white, and wild orchid. It was in my mind to do a split with the wild orchid and mauve. Unfortunately, I hate the mauve color. To me it looks like Pepto Bismol purple. I do like the wild orchid color. Unfortunately, it it so dark that for more than blending out a line of it like Mark Reid does I just couldn't find a use for it. Wound up mixing to get different purples and just kept a bit of the original wild orchid.
Like somebody said, different paints for different things and go with the colors you love and will use. To me, the TAG works great for blending when the weather is nice and cool. Hot and dry-leaves demarcation lines unless I put it on all at once and blend quickly.
There's so much to play with and fall in love with. I'm kinda curious about Kryolan myself since I got a bit of it in trade.
MUST exercise some restraint! pale
martha

Number of posts : 1951
Registration date : 2011-05-22

Back to top Go down

Post by billiebcc on Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:15 pm

Personally I love Paradise for that soft coverage. I love Snaz for it as well, now that I know "how to work the paint.

I honestly think it's just figuring out how the paints are supposed to be used. It's why I have an "issue" with Wolfe White sometimes. I get it too wet. I really like my Paradise though. The only complaint I have with it is I wish it didn't smell at all. I personally don't mind the smell, but I wish it didn't smell at all. It would just make it easier.
billiebcc

Number of posts : 506
Registration date : 2011-11-05

http://www.angelwingsbodyart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by HillbillyDiva1 on Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:52 pm

When I started out there wasn't all the brands out there that there are now. So I started with all snaz so when I went out on my own painting and needed to replace a paint or too I found all these brands and it was very confusing but first through SS then through the forum I read everyone's preferences and as I add or change things my main kit is both wolfe and paradise and I also have DFX black and white. I also have a metallic red and purple but can't remember which is Tag and which is DFX. The only thing I like in snaz is the darkest green because nobody else makes that color yet.
HillbillyDiva1

Number of posts : 475
Registration date : 2011-09-04

http://www.gandgfaceandbodyart.com

Back to top Go down

I LOVE PARADISE PAINTS!!! I am in the processes of restocking my kits with more of their paints. I have been doing this for many years with lots of trial and error process. GO PARADISE!

Post by facepaintingplus on Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:50 am

Denise Cold wrote:I'm so frustrated with TAG regular colors and I had the same trouble with the other "China" paints like Wolfe and Dfx and even the pearls don't blend over the top of each other very well and I have a hard time moving them around on the face. I tried using them for body painting and although the pearls were better, I couldn't blend one color into another without getting lap marks.

I'm thinking of buying a Paradise pallet so that I can blend colors and get that Mark Reid look. I've never tried Paradise except when I got to try someone's Fluer one-stroke pallet but I've never used them as regular face paints or had the opportunity to test drive them myself.

Not to start an argument about which is better (because I actually like TAG for a LOT of things) but can Paradise users possibly describe to me the difference in using them? Do they dry like TAG and Wolfe? Can you touch them once they are dry like you can TAG? Is there a longer open time where you can move the paint around? Do they apply thinner? Like can you almost stain with them instead of having to get opaque coverage? One of the things I'm frustrated with is when I load a sponge with TAG it almost dries so fast that I can't even get a whole butterfly out of one load or shape the edges with the tip of the sponge because the original stamp is dry and can't be moved....am I making ANY sense???? I overload the sponge trying to get enough to created a whole butterfly and it makes this big thick wing on the first eye, the second eye is okay with fringy edges and then I start on the bottom wing and it's all patchy now. If I try to add more water, it will be a goopy mess!

I'm so mad at myself for not trying someone's Paradise kit while I was there at FABAC in Vegas. I want to get some paradise in my hands but I also don't want to spend $120 dollars and hate the stuff. Sigh.

What would I do without my one-strokes? Do some of you use a combination of both brands and love that? I love the TAG metallics for brushing but I'm having similar lapping problems when I try to sponge.

Who am I, where am going, what do I do! (I'm such a dork!)

D.

Here's my attempt at a Mark Reid butterfly. It's thick and cartoonish. The colors are pretty but I want that sheer coverage I see in his designs.

Here's his...look at the blending...I know his brushwork is amazing...I want that sheer look.

facepaintingplus

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2011-06-30

http://www.facepaintingplus.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Manja on Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:56 am

Hey, Denise! How do you like the Paradise Olive? Funny thing is I have it sitting in my cart at the moment trying to decide whether or not to order it, so your feedback would be greatly appreciated.

I'll trade you some swatches! Smile I've got 10-12 paradise colors, plus 3 of the prisma cakes if you want some visuals.
Manja

Number of posts : 246
Registration date : 2011-06-25

http://www.shiningfaces.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Manja on Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:58 am

PS - my camera should be here any day now. My phone pics don't do the colors right no matter what settings I try, so hopefully my new camera will do better.
Manja

Back to top Go down

Post by Manja on Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:00 am

I would LOVE to see the Paradise Nuance colors in swatches, if anyone has any of them. Porto looks tempting Smile Anyone have that one?
Manja

Back to top Go down

Post by Denise Cold on Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:10 am

Sorry Manja,

Here's a Hulk face done with it. Emma sponged it and she says she likes it. I had some other face painters make fun of it when they saw it in my kit because it looked like baby poop and insisted that Hulk is bright green. Not in the movie shots I see on my computer...but oh, well. Maybe it's better to be bright than right...(I rhymed right there...did ya see that...rhymed...yeah.... What a Face )

PS: I should have played with your dang swatches in Vegas! Dagnabbit! LOL!

denise@paintedparty.com
www.paintedparty.com

Denise Cold

Back to top Go down

Post by tamarielpaints on Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:33 pm

Denise -
Have you tried kroyolan? I just went back to my roots with using kryoloan. I had forgotten how dreamy and wonderfully creamy it is for bases! It dries nicely on the face also. TAG regulars I feel like my face is going to crack. Kryolan breathes nicer.

I find that I'm using my TAG pearls or kryoloan for my bases. The two exceptions to that rule being my spiderman and batman when I use Snaz.
tamarielpaints

Number of posts : 637
Registration date : 2010-12-07

http://www.tamarielpaints.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGildedCat on Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:35 pm

I have a mix of Wolfe, DFx, TAG, Kryolan, Paradise, and one red Snaz. I like them all for different reasons. I do tend to reach more for my paradise/kryolan when I want to blend out shades, but I have no problem blending them on top of any of the "harder" paints. My tiger to the left (heavily Mark-influenced, of course), is actually mostly TAG/Wolfe/DFx except for the muzzle, which is Paradise white. Some of the linework is wolfe, some is paradise.

I LOVE Paradise black, especially once I figured out where it's best suited. I *can* get crisp linework out of it (took some practice), but it's not as inky black as Wolfe. Where it really shines is when I want to dry-brush. MR and Christina Davison use the Paradise black to shade and dry-brush with. It's super easy to make a black wash with it for drop shadows and it does stay a little creamier a little longer, allowing you to go back and pull the black into a color - like the edging of butterfly you like. If I want a super dark line, but I want to be able to pull the color, I use a mixture of paradise and wolfe black.

I don't have a ton of Paradise, but I couldn't live without by black, white, wild orchid, and mango. I also recently purchased the dark blue to try creating a pair of blue jeans.

I find it's easier to blend the TAG/Wolfe/DFx colors by patting them into each other and layering rather than trying to move the color.
TheGildedCat

Number of posts : 1577
Registration date : 2010-09-06

http://www.thegildedcat.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGildedCat on Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:40 pm

Looking again, it also looks like he did an initial outline in wild orchid, pulled that color in with a bit of dry brushing, and went back with the paradise black and pulled that in just at the peaks of the design to add lot of depth.

Last edited by TheGildedCat on Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
TheGildedCat

Back to top Go down

Post by martha on Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:44 pm

Julie, my next direction for some more paints is going to be paints for bases. Which do you recommed - Kryolan or Paradise. (Right now leaning toward the 30 color sampler Paradise just to get a notion of which colors I "need"
martha

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGildedCat on Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:11 pm

I really like that I can buy both Paradise and Kryolan sampler/refill colors at Silly farm for $5 each. That's how I figure out which ones I like and whether or not it's a consistency I'll want to work with.

I never bought the large Paradise or Kryolan palettes because I know I'm not going to like all the colors and wasn't sure if I'd like the paints. I also hate vomiting out that much money at once - but that's just me! The only palette I ever bought for personal use was my very first Wolfe appetizer palette, a DFx 12 color palette when my business picked up, and a TAG skin palette. Every purchase since has been individual colors. I use those small rounds left over from the palettes in my kit and just refill them as they get low. My working kit is one laptop's worth of space filled on both sides with those small rounds Velcro'd in. I'll take a pic when I get a chance.

The Kryolan colors can be a bit more sheer than Paradise, but it varies by color. I like the Kryolan pinks #R21 and #R22, but I wouldn't get both - they're very similar. I also like their orange #288 and anything interferenz (gorgeous, but requires layering and really working it up with water to make it less than sheer). I also LOVE Kryolan's Interferenz Bronze - it's like molten opaque gold when you really work it up. Their Interferenz silver-blue is perfect for robots, transformers, etc. Pashur is the one who turned me on to that silver color. I've also heard wonderful things about the FAB silver.

To throw a wrench in your plan, I also like FAB for blendability. I think it's closer in feel to Kryolan than Paradise, and somewhat cheaper than Kryolan. I bought a couple at FABAIC 2012 and the smell was not worse than perfumey Kryolan - an improvement from the first FAB color I smelled.

If you're a quick faces type of person, I think Paradise might be a smidge easier to work with than Kryolan, but that's going to depend on the person, their technique, and what they want out of their paint. If you're mostly a one-stroke TAG/Wolfe/DFx kind of person, you're probably going to be a bit frustrated with any of the creamier paints because they're just not the same to work with. If you're okay with a learning curve again, then go for it.
TheGildedCat

Back to top Go down

Post by tamarielpaints on Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:27 pm

Honestly - I'd buy a small sample of white in kryolan and paradise in order to see what I preferred. I find that white is the color that I'm using for blending bases (tigers, butterflies, cats) etc.

I FULLY SECOND the interferenze line! Lynne Jamison used them at a class I took last summer and I've been salivating after them ever since.
tamarielpaints

Number of posts : 637
Registration date : 2010-12-07

http://www.tamarielpaints.com

Back to top Go down

Post by martha on Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:00 pm

I do have a Paradise white and love it for a base. I have a Kryolan green that I got in a swap (GR21 maybe) and I do like the way it works as well. Didn't consider the FAB 'cause I had more of an aversion to the smell. I don't mind the smell of Kryolan or Paradise at all. Heard that they were decreasing the scent in the FAB so I may have to reconsider it.
With regard to my "technique", I guess that either I haven't fallen into any one style or I may be evolving into some sort of hybrid who just does what the mood brings to mind. I just love painting, and paints, and glitter, and jewels, and gore and smiling kiddos. Face painting is just my personal indulgence. Rolling Eyes
FAB silver is awesome. I tolerate the smell for the look!
Saw Karen Sawyer using a Kryolan Hot Pink that was gorgeous and yes, I too lust for Interferenze colors.
Thanks for your advice.
martha

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnie on Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:08 am

Oh look, I'm late to the party again!

I saw someone mentioned Ben-Nye. I have to say, I hate it. It is so water intense and just doesn't go on as smoothly as it should. I don't find it's worth the money.

Paradise is extremely soft. You'll go through your popular colors very quickly. I can't stand the white. It absorbs every color it thinks of being near. Requiring so much water also means that Paradise is very smudgy on a sweaty day, more so than Tag, DFX or Wolfe. It's easy to get a finger print, brush line, sponge mark, etc. in.
It's a very matte paint as well, which means it just doesn't have the power I want in face paint. The metallics are positively brutal to work with and require water, patience and the learning curve of a land train pulling a u-ey.

It does blend like a dream, and it comes off easily which makes it my favorite body paint to use for photo stuff and body murals.

The rest of my kit is made up of Tag, DFX and Wolfe, all of which are blendable with practice but they also stack beautifully atop one another, which you will not get with Paradise. I find that you get more for your money and a better end product with the "harder" paints.

Lynnie

Number of posts : 733
Registration date : 2010-02-09

http://www.artful-body.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top