Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

My new rules board.

Go down

My new rules board.

Post by Denise Cold on Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:11 am

I think I will be making this part of the wall around my painting table. I'll probably put it in the middle of the wall right in front of the waiting chairs...and maybe get a cup holder for the wet wipes so they are more prominent...because I definitely had to wipe WAY too many faces with my nice Huggies. I added some funny pictures of kids that were obviously crying or yelling at each other. I found one for the sick where she had pink eye and was holding a tissue so it covered both instances. Then the t-shirt picture says "I'm not a stalker, I'm just talkative." You'll see where THAT one went. Smile

I put it up with one of the electric fence stakes this time. It was by the entrance of the tent but I want another chair there, that's why I say I'll put it in the wall. Here's the picture and the text follows:

We only have a few simple rules...

This is a PG-rated, no haters, Golden Rule, smile zone:
No swearing, fighting, gang or sexual symbols, line jumping, theft, or property damage. Donít yell at my clientsÖthat includes your own children. We reserve the right to refuse services for these infringements or for generally making our tent an unsafe place for others.

We wonít paint any child that doesnít want to be painted:
This means that even if youíve waited in line for a Ĺ hour and your child cries or refuses to sit unattended then I wonít paint them. This usually means children under 3 because THEY DONíT LIKE IT! Itís a little scary! Your child has to be able to walk over, climb in the chair and tell me what they want and sit still for about 5 minutes.

If there is a line, I wonít take special requests:
You can always request a favorite color for you design but copying a logo or a character Iím unfamiliar with takes twice as long as one of my practiced designs and it makes the people in line wait too long. If itís not busy and you want something from a photo you will pay an additional $3.00 for the extra time.

I wonít paint someone who is sick, has pink eye or has a rash:
I donít want to contaminate my paints or water with any cold or skin disease. I will provide you with a Wet Wipe or paper towel for you to clean your child to help keep everyone healthy. Please note: Even though our makeup is hypo-allergenic if your child has a tendency to break out or have allergies to common creams itís probably not a good idea to get a face painting.

Iím working here:
When I am painting Iím in ďthe zoneĒ and want my full attention on the client in my chair. I donít like answering questions about where I bought my paints, how much I make a year, do I paint on canvas, do I teach classes, etc. I know that nice people are just trying to make conversation but Iím literally at my work place and want to do my best. I would LOVE to answer any questions by email at: denise@paintedparty.com

Denise Cold

Number of posts : 2717
Registration date : 2011-04-06

http://www.denisecold.com

Back to top Go down

Re: My new rules board.

Post by SuzySparkles on Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:29 am

I love that last one... Smile I hate questions while I am painting Smile
SuzySparkles

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2009-11-09

Back to top Go down

Post by rosie t clown on Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:03 am

looks great
folks need to know what our expectations are - you let them know
hope life goes smoothly with this Very Happy
rosie t clown

Number of posts : 87
Registration date : 2010-05-03

Back to top Go down

Post by rthling on Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:05 pm

I wanna be just like you when I grow up! hehehe!
Love your rules. Do people actually read them?
rthling

Number of posts : 1830
Registration date : 2010-10-05

http://www.fancyfacesbydiane.com

Back to top Go down

Post by barbb919 on Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:22 pm

I love this Denise thanks.
barbb919

Number of posts : 2109
Registration date : 2010-03-23

http://tappysfacepainting.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Denise Cold on Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:37 pm

rthling wrote:I wanna be just like you when I grow up! hehehe!
Love your rules. Do people actually read them?

I heard a few people allude to them but that's why I think I'll make it the middle panel on the wall behind the camp kitchen so they can read it while they are waiting. They are for me mostly because I want to be able to say, when bad behavior happens, "that's one of my rules."

The tent setup really saved me from so many of the problems we had last year, including the talkative moms and the dads who would harrass their kids while they were in the chair. It was such a pleasant experience to paint without interruption and be able to just practically whisper to Emma "can you mirror him?" and stuff like that.

And having the small row of chairs also kept whole families from trying to squeeze into the tent so my space was spared.

So, what I'm saying is, the rules were a lot easier to enforce and became secondary to the crowd control measures.

D.
Denise Cold

Back to top Go down

Post by Miss Ronnie on Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:41 am

Denise, I bow humbly to your supreme everythingness.

You managed to put everything down that we all think in our heads.

As much as I love kids and I love people and I love to talk.... sometimes I want to tell everyone to pipe down or back off or...egad!... sometimes I want to shout out loud something even worse!!!
Miss Ronnie

Number of posts : 3089
Registration date : 2011-08-28

http://www.wix.com/missronnie/fantasyfaces

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmbook on Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:00 pm

I love your setup & rules!
Psalmbook

Number of posts : 7642
Registration date : 2010-03-09

http://www.wix.com/psalmbook/Lindas-Face-Painting

Back to top Go down

Post by Dex on Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:50 am

You scare me Denise! You must have some really "naughty" people in your area! affraid
Like the electric fence thingy idea though cheers

Dex

Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2012-05-16

Back to top Go down

Post by earthorange on Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:56 am

Of course these are all things that go through our heads consistently...congratulations on getting it out there. I'm curious about the waiting area...I haven't had a need for it yet, but I'd love to see a picture of it if you have one.
earthorange

Number of posts : 205
Registration date : 2010-08-23

http://www.peoplepaint.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Denise Cold on Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:10 pm

It's just 4 chairs lined up along one tent wall. I just got those $10 Jeff? chairs from Ikea because they fold so flat and are so light that I can carry all four on my arms or they fit nicely on a trolley, but they are wobbly on grass!

If I get power (which you almost have to have) I'll bring a industrial power splitter that we got from Harbor Freight and we'll have two fans going and then we've got those cheap clamp lights for that last hour or so at night. So my waiting area is also a little bit of reward for waiting. Last year the line was in the sun, this year we had a little shade.

That's why I also have the water waiting there. I don't serve it so I don't violate vending rules but if they ask, it's there.

D.
Denise Cold

Back to top Go down

Post by Denise Cold on Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:06 am

I had a couple of issues come up this last fair and wanted your input. I didn't know it until about half way through his daughter's face, but I had a guy recording me with his flip camcorder and asking questions. I was about to evoke my "I'm working here" rule on him and turned and realized he'd been taping the whole time. What would you have done? I did clam up and finish but I was mad that he didn't even ask permission. Should I have pulled a Sean Penn on him???

Secondly, I turned my chairs to face the public to attract business and it worked but I swear there was a guy with a camera taking repeated pictures of the kids in my chair! I asked Jeff and he didn't seem to think there was anyone that wasn't a parent but I've learned to follow my "North Star" or my gut and I think he was. I've stopped people before and found out it was a grandparent and I'm a little embarrassed but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

One time I had an older guy start snapping pictures and found out he was from the Farmer's Market. I chided him and said "you need to make sure you have permission from the parents" and turned and pointed to her mom who said it was okay...but come on! Don't people know this stuff?

I'm no paragon of virtue but I know not to take pictures of other people's children without at least asking. I know that you don't video tape people without their knowledge (especially peppering them with questions while you do it) and I know that I am getting really sick of policing grown adults.

D.
Denise Cold

Back to top Go down

Post by tamarielpaints on Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:14 pm

My gut reaction is that if he was videotaping his kid, that's one thing and perfectly acceptable. I snap pictures of my kids doing all sorts of things, and with the amazing modern technology I find myself recording video at the park, the pool, the mall...so why not while getting face painted? Face painting is fun and he is viewing her face painting as being a momento of her 'transformation' into whatever it is you were painting on her.

Videotaping someone else's kids is freaky and highly problematic.
tamarielpaints

Number of posts : 637
Registration date : 2010-12-07

http://www.tamarielpaints.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Coral3 on Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:27 pm

^ you're ALLOWED to video at the pool!?!? That's a BIG definite no-no where I live....I don't know any pools that allow it - they all have huge 'no video', 'no cameras' signs up.
Coral3

Number of posts : 570
Registration date : 2012-01-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Denise Cold on Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:42 pm

It wasn't that he was recording his kid getting face painted, it was that he was grilling me ABOUT face painting while doing it and didn't ask permission. He wasn't interacting with his daughter, he was talking to me.

I also don't like it when professional photographer's try to take step-by-steps at a party. Makes me wonder if they are selling my images and not crediting me or getting permission. I mean a couple of the kid being painted are fine but last time it was about 30 photos of one design. It was annoying.
Denise Cold

Back to top Go down

Post by tamarielpaints on Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:37 pm

Coral -
Some pools yes. Some pools no.

I think this is one of those 'it depends on where you live' things.
tamarielpaints

Number of posts : 637
Registration date : 2010-12-07

http://www.tamarielpaints.com

Back to top Go down

Post by seekorka on Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:05 am

Denise, I admire you and I agree with all the rules.
They are well written. I have only: to be not less than 3 years and the information that the colors are hypoallergenic, non-toxic and cleaning with watter.
Bud everybody still asks, nobody reads: (
I hate dirty children, parents who force a child - the child dont wants paint and fears, or hiding his head, shakes, moves, etc.
seekorka

Number of posts : 109
Registration date : 2012-07-03

Back to top Go down

Post by rthling on Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:36 pm

As I get my booth ready for the onslaught of festivals and fairs the next few months, I have used your rules. And your booth lay-out.

That should either flatter you, or creep you out, haha!

Here's mine. I used your words for some of it, but i actually tried to write them from memory, so they came out a little less copied.

I only paint clean, healthy, willing faces. Please visit the cleaning station to make sure your face is ready to be painted. I will not paint sick people. This will contaminate my paints, spreading germs. I am sure you are thankful I have not painted any sick people before I paint you. If your child cannot tell me what s/he would like, they are too young to be painted. Young skin is delicate. If your child is crying, the paint will not go on well. Face painting is meant to be a fun experience. I do not want to scare your child.

My line is a good manners zone. If you cannot be respectful of the customers in line (including your own child) please leave the line. Pushing, line jumping, swearing, fighting, and general rudeness is not tolerated. Face painting is meant to be a fun experience. I do not want to be the line police. Please be polite.

I am not a babysitter. Do not leave your child in my line and go get a snack. Children left unattended will be delivered to the lost and found area. Please look for them there.

I am working here. When I am painting someone (even your own child) I am in ďthe zoneĒ. This is the customerís time to get my full attention. They are my only focus. Please do not ask me questions about what I do, if I do parties, where I get my supplies, how long I have been face painting, how much I make, etc. If you would genuinely like to know anything at all, I would love to talk to you! But not right now. Please take a business card and email me or call me another time. I will be happy to have a chat!

Special requests take extra time, so if I have a line, I will not do them. If there is no line, and you can show me a picture of your request, there will be an additional charge of $3.00 for my time.
rthling

Back to top Go down

Post by Denise Cold on Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:31 pm

Not creeped out at all. Smile

Someone did post a nice super short version of the rules and even had it in an image form to print off. I'm not sure if it was in the original thread or not.

Let me know how it works for you. I'm planning on using it again for an event in September. I ask specifically if I could be on the grass so I could use my push in posts and make THE BARRIER! Smile

Denise Cold

Back to top Go down

Post by rthling on Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:30 pm

I'm making some stanchions just for THE BARRIER. :-)
rthling

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down