Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Hello! Getting started in the glitter tattoo world

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hello! Getting started in the glitter tattoo world

Post by LadySiren on Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:42 pm

Hello, everyone. My name is Melissa and I'm new to both this forum and the world of glitter tattoos. I'm over here in the Tarheel state (NC) and am hoping to get into glitter / mica tattoos, and hair decoration (wraps, tinsel, etc). I've always loved body art but sadly, I have absolutely NO artistic ability, hence the lack of FP in our (hopefully) soon-to-be business.

I've already had a number of members offer some awesomely helpful advice and I'm definitely looking forward to learning more from all y'all. Wink
LadySiren

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2012-06-09

Back to top Go down

Re: Hello! Getting started in the glitter tattoo world

Post by Kris5115 on Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:10 pm

Hi and welcome!
Kris5115

Number of posts : 741
Registration date : 2012-04-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Affordable Face Magic on Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:36 pm

Welcome, Lady Siren. Just did my 1st "hot n humid" gig outdoors @ a beach. Did have shade. Was hired to do face painting but told them glitter tatts would work best, so I'd upgrade them for free. Next I bought a starter kit @ FABAIC from American Body Art & got more from Silly Farm. Practiced on family & friends for 2 weeks & had a great time "glittering" my customers last Sunday. I even did a few free hand tatts...flowers. Have you tried that?
Affordable Face Magic

Number of posts : 835
Registration date : 2011-09-28

http://www.affordablefacemagic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by LadySiren on Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:16 am

Thanks all for the welcome; it's much appreciated. I haven't tried freehand yet (heck, just now getting started so haven't tried anything!) but I may at some point. My daughter's b-day luau is coming up so I'm going to practice on the entire guest list, LOL. After that? We'll hopefully be trying a local festival this fall.
LadySiren

Back to top Go down

Post by Miss Ronnie on Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:25 pm

Welcome to the family! I love you
Miss Ronnie

Number of posts : 3089
Registration date : 2011-08-28

http://www.wix.com/missronnie/fantasyfaces

Back to top Go down

Post by Katurah on Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:11 pm

Welcome Melissa!
Katurah

Number of posts : 1564
Registration date : 2012-03-12

http://www.katurahpaintspeople.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by FunnyFacesCC on Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:16 pm

Hi and welcome!

I live in a hot and humid place and had to offer glitter tattoos for the summer, paints just sweat right off.

I have purchased many unnecessary things in starting my business 6 months ago, but I've learned a few things from it too. I originally purchased a couple of kits of 100 different assorted stencils from sellers online and a kit with a bunch of starter glitters and glue. The glitters and glue are fine but I had a gillion different stencils which just don't work for a busy festival environment. What I later did was invest in the BEST OF GLIMMER stencil kit with poster. It's 30 or so of their most popular designs and as you run out of certain stencils you can purchase the ones you need individually to restock. The poster is numbered and allows you to create a display board that kids can choose from while they are in line so they aren't rummaging through 100 different individual ones and wasting your time...I put my actual stencils in a photo album and numbered according to the poster so I can just pull out the one they want. It's working out great for me. I don't have to mess with the whole big display board at bday parties, I can take the album and let the kids look through it, but for festivals and booths having a set group of designs for them to choose from before they get to you is the way to go.

Hope it helps, and good luck!
FunnyFacesCC

Number of posts : 102
Registration date : 2012-03-11

http://funnyfacesfacepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by LadySiren on Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:47 pm

FunnyFacesCC wrote:Hi and welcome!

I live in a hot and humid place and had to offer glitter tattoos for the summer, paints just sweat right off.

I have purchased many unnecessary things in starting my business 6 months ago, but I've learned a few things from it too. I originally purchased a couple of kits of 100 different assorted stencils from sellers online and a kit with a bunch of starter glitters and glue. The glitters and glue are fine but I had a gillion different stencils which just don't work for a busy festival environment. What I later did was invest in the BEST OF GLIMMER stencil kit with poster. It's 30 or so of their most popular designs and as you run out of certain stencils you can purchase the ones you need individually to restock. The poster is numbered and allows you to create a display board that kids can choose from while they are in line so they aren't rummaging through 100 different individual ones and wasting your time...I put my actual stencils in a photo album and numbered according to the poster so I can just pull out the one they want. It's working out great for me. I don't have to mess with the whole big display board at bday parties, I can take the album and let the kids look through it, but for festivals and booths having a set group of designs for them to choose from before they get to you is the way to go.

Hope it helps, and good luck!

Thanks so much! This type of information is incredibly useful, so I really appreciate it. I'm combing through the forums for hints, tips, and advice just like this. We'll likely be taking it slow this year, as we only just decided to really give it a go. We've been trying to research artists in our area and as far as we can tell, there's nobody offering these types of services. Hopefully, it's going to prove popular. Smile

Thanks again!
LadySiren

Back to top Go down

Post by spaqueen on Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:54 am

welcome to the group, neighbor!!! Like you, I am a newbie to the boards and have been reading up on the tips and tricks that the members have offered. Good luck with your business!!!
spaqueen

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2012-06-05

http://www.spaqueen4aday.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Astrid on Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:20 pm

hi!
Astrid

Number of posts : 221
Registration date : 2011-12-03

http://www.easyjourneyart.com/