Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Advertising Question?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Advertising Question?

Post by mpwifey on Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:47 pm

Hey everyone, I am relatively new at doing face painting on a professional basis, I have done volunteer spots for events for two years now. I enjoy it SOO much but didn't realize how many face painters were in my area before I jumped in head first. I have had a few events, and might soon have a festival and also have been added to my local cities list of people to consider for upcoming events. I have had nothing but compliments, although I know I have a WAYS to go before I can consider myself an artist versus just an event face painter. Anywho, I RIGHT NOW use Snazaroo and plan on changing to Diamond FX, Wolfe, and Tag one strokes as money permits because using Snaz for line work well in simple terms SUCKSin my opinion! LOL I have an average face time of 5.5ish minutes for full faces so I am guessing that is pretty good. Anywho, I enjoy this more than I have enjoyed a lot of things in the past few years but finding events and jobs in this area I have found is EXTREMELY hard. Any tips?! I live on a military post and have advertised there often but advertising in the surrounding areas is my problem, outside of Craigslist. People suggested making up a flyer with examples of my work. I feel most of my work is pretty good although I do definitely need to work on blending better and getting the darn teardrop shapes down, why those are so hard for me I have no idea. www.facebook.com/fantachicetc is my page so feel free to give me HONEST reviews on my work. I am a bit overwhelmed because I am really depending on making this work to pay off debts from my daughters therapies that are really killing us. Thanks everyone!
mpwifey

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2012-05-25

http://www.facebook.com/fantachicetc

Back to top Go down

Re: Advertising Question?

Post by debranewmanart on Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:24 pm

The first year I thought I'd never get anywhere and felt a bit discouraged. You won't be a success overnight, no one is. It takes time to get established. This is my 3rd year and things are really starting to gel. I do every single fair and festival that I can within a 40 mile radius. I takes some work to find them, but you can. Just this week I got asked to a large "invitation only" art show. bounce People are starting to look for me at festivals and I am now beginning to get referrals...but again this has taken 3 years. Hang in there.... practice, practice, practice...you'll make!

debranewmanart

Number of posts : 615
Registration date : 2011-06-26

http://www.facebook.com/debranewmanart

Back to top Go down

Post by wmeventservices on Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:26 pm

If you're on post, go to your MWR and apply for an on post solicitation license. Once you get the license, look up all the events MWR sponsored events on post and ask to be able to work those events. MWR is notorious for having complaints for the face paint lines being too long. They usually jump at the opportunity to hire someone who can move the lines quickly. Also contact post housing authority and make them aware of your presence. They host several events a year and are always looking for child entertainment. Same thing with the PX and grocery store. If you get in with all the on post authorities, you'll stay busy all year. Unfortunately, breaking in with these organizations can be quite difficult, but totally worth the effort.
wmeventservices

Number of posts : 2132
Registration date : 2009-09-03

http://www.Art-Z-Faces.com

Back to top Go down

Post by mpwifey on Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:16 pm

Thanks for all the advice!! Very Happy
mpwifey

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2012-05-25

http://www.facebook.com/fantachicetc

Back to top Go down

Post by artyfacesbyluz on Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:54 am

I live off post but I am a military family member, I work only for the people in my base, I started as an AAFES vendor, I had a both twice a month in the base mall and that gave me a lot of recognition in the community now I do unit picnics, work at the theater for kids movies premiers, I am very busy.
artyfacesbyluz

Number of posts : 956
Registration date : 2011-02-22

http://www.artyfacesbyluz.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelley Bellefontaine on Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:28 pm

I am a military wife too Very Happy One of the things that has helped me is getting insurance. I do lots of messes and unit parties. When I first started I put things at the canex ( Canadian equivalent to PX) and at the family resource center and gym. It takes a while , but I now do quite a bit on base Very Happy Whatever you do , don't do a workshop teaching kids , I did loose a few parties for the base because you know how people in charge move around! I stupidly held some workshops because I thought it would be a nice thing to do, well when I contacted a few events that I had done , new people were in charge and I got a polite " we are just going to have the teens from the community center do it!!!" Ya sure after I taught them the basics!!
Shelley Bellefontaine

Number of posts : 236
Registration date : 2009-05-05

http://www.you-name-it.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by artyfacesbyluz on Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:01 am

Yes Shelley, big mistake, we have MWR, they do free face painting and they use the teens, actually they are good, the difference is in the supplies, when I get that answer I replay, "Kids will be happy anyway, please make sure they are using Face Paint and they are covered by your insurance"
artyfacesbyluz

Number of posts : 956
Registration date : 2011-02-22

http://www.artyfacesbyluz.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Dex on Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:52 am

Some of your designs are really great and you have your own style which is good as it will set you apart a bit.

I see what you mean with your line work though. If I was you I would subscribe to fabatv, even if it's only for a month and watch it flat out. Mark Reid has a class on lines and Marcella also has a fantastic bit on creating teardrops, lines and swirls as a prelude to one of her classes, it really is a must see.

Recently i put together a "business submission" that talks about my face painting and balloon twisting and how much i enjoy it etc with heaps of photos, I emailed it off to the local shopping plaza management in the off chance i might get some work. They emailed me straight back, apparently they manage 3 shopping plaza's and have booked me for 10 paid gigs between now and Christmas and the lady said "I wish we'd known about you sooner before we did our budget, I could have given you some more"

So try and think of where you haven't seen other painters, but where you think there might be an opportunity and send a submission to someone who is in charge, you just never know!

Dex

Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2012-05-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top