Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Beyond just tats - anyone do toe rings?

Go down

Beyond just tats - anyone do toe rings?

Post by LadySiren on Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:37 pm

So in talking with my cousin who works the festivals / fairs circuit (she does Hawaiiana stuff, like Hawaiian jewelry and trinkets), she mentioned she has a friend who does toe rings. According to her, he's pulling about $500 per day, per show.

I'm definitely looking for other things we can do beyond just the glitter and mica tats, and hair tinsel. The wholesale pricing for .925 rings seems pretty reasonable, so I was wondering if anyone has tried tats and toe rings. I don't really want to get into a full-blown jewelry booth but since we're positioning ourselves as doing body art, I thought toe rings might make a nice addition. I should note I'm a huge toe ring fan, having worn one for 20+ years now.

Anyway, any thoughts or input is warmly welcomed. Thanks much, y'all!
LadySiren

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2012-06-09

Back to top Go down

Re: Beyond just tats - anyone do toe rings?

Post by TheGildedCat on Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:21 am

Dumb question here, but how do you "do" toe rings? Is it just a resale item or are you actually placing them on people's feet at festivals?
TheGildedCat

Number of posts : 1577
Registration date : 2010-09-06

http://www.thegildedcat.com

Back to top Go down

Post by LadySiren on Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:58 am

TheGildedCat wrote:Dumb question here, but how do you "do" toe rings? Is it just a resale item or are you actually placing them on people's feet at festivals?

As I understand it, her friend is doing custom-fit toe rings, which means he actually sizes them to the person's foot using a sizer then making sure the ring fits snugly around the chosen toe.

Now, there are some grody feet out there. If we go this route, we'll definitely be wearing non-latex surgical gloves! Laughing
LadySiren

Back to top Go down

Post by EileenF on Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:23 pm

You know, at an event I did, the guy next to me did custom fit toe rings. He did well and our booths complemented eachother because many people who were getting custom toe ring fittings were seated and had a chance to see me doing glitter tattoos. We joked that we should have a booth together next year. Even my customers who got ankle tattoos went on to his booth next. Its worth it! I did glitter tattoos, tinsel, and hair chalking. All are services that take no time at all. I even have hair jewels that last several days and also had some of my handmade feather extensions and micro cylinder colored hair extensions. Just start out slow and ease your way in if you are concerned about making your investment back. I don't like having too many different items because then you have too much overhead to handle at once and can lead to having too many distractions. The worst thing is getting behind in moving the line and money handling gets difficult. One person is asking about cost, another wants 3 tattoos and a ring, the other is in a hurry but there's one more person in front of her. So yes anything is worth trying as long as you find a balance between the two and that they are related. Signage is so important. Use key wording, and pricing to avoid customers getting confused. I don't see anything dumb about it, nothing ventured, nothing gained. And who knows, you may find that your calling in life is doing just that! "Toe rings and Toos"! I never thought in a million years that I would get a graphic design job by doing glitter tattoos at the festival back in May. From that came a weekly glitter tattoo job for a large group of people who I also design for. Just do it! ;-)
EileenF

Number of posts : 105
Registration date : 2012-03-26

Back to top Go down

Post by EileenF on Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:36 pm

If feet don't bother you just look at it this way... Usually----- women who wear toe rings are those who take care of their feet. If my feet looked bad I wouldn't be wanting to draw attention to them with a toe ring. Nothing would be coming in contact with my feet. Just go to sallys and get a disinfectant and some EPA for the tools you use. This is just my experience since I do pedicures at work from time to time. And scary truth is... Feet are known to be cleaner than hands...
EileenF

Number of posts : 105
Registration date : 2012-03-26

Back to top Go down

Post by LadySiren on Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:27 pm

Eileen, thank you SO much. I'd pretty much decided to go ahead with toe rings, but your post seals it for me. We just got word that we might be able to get into our very first festival ever (gulp!) in September, so I'm hoping to have everything arranged by then.

Also, if you'd told me six months ago that I'd be considering this as a business, I'd have laughed. I'm a marketing / advertising / PR flak. I have a pretty good eye for graphics and art but lack the talent to actually create anything on my own. Oh well, those of us who can do sell it for those who can, right? Laughing
LadySiren

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down