Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Week Long Events

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Week Long Events

Post by Miss Ronnie on Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:25 pm

I just finished my first county fair. It was fun, hot and exhausting. I got home last night at 2:00 in the morning after packing up and loading my car and then driving 40 miles back home, all giddy inside. I made a pit-stop at a 24 hour McDonalds to buy an iced tea and I'm sure the girl at the drive-thru window must have thought I was the weirdest, craziest dingbat in the world. I was so dog-gone tired that I felt I was speaking with marbles in my mouth... and I was laughing at my own stupid comments (which I thought were hilarious at that moment in time!) What an idiot I must have been! bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce

So, anyway, I thought I'd write my experiences for those who may have never had a week long event.

First and foremost; I have a new booth partner!!!! She is amazing at what she does. It goes perfect with my face painting and glitter tattoos. Our two businesses compliment each other so incredibly well. Our set up rocks and was, for the most part, quite efficient.

Secondly, my new camp kitchen is THE BOMB!!! bom It worked perfectly for me as a sit down painter. I was able to have my glitter tattoo set up on the end of it where my face paint customers sit; and when someone wanted a tattoo I would just change chairs and sit in the face paint chair and they would sit in my chair.

I brought my expensive home fan that I invested in 2 years ago from Home Depot. It's a tower fan that puts out 30% colder air than a regular fan. I have it blowing directly on ME - the customers only have to sit in my tent a few minutes - I have to be in there 10 to 12 hours a day. In the 90 plus degree temps and extreme humidity we've been having, I would never had made it without that fan. I also have battery operated fans blowing on me. The fans saved the day(s) for me, so YAY for that.

As most of you know, I'm a Large Marge....quite a big mama with lots of stupid, rotten health issues that hinder me in many, many ways - but they DON'T hold me back. I try my hardest to do my best. I am a pretty decent face painter - but definitely not in the same league as so many other phenomenal painters on here and in the business. I don't kid myself - I'm not a super speedy painter and even though I have brought myself up to a faster level than even a month ago, I know I have to work this fall and winter at coming up with a design board where I can do every single design in 5 minutes or less every single time I do it. It's hard to do that when you are a perfectionist when it comes to art. When painting other surfaces in other mediums I will sit forever and work on getting that tiny little bird's beak perfect - even if it takes hours! I have found that even though I have sped up (and the customers confirm that with comments like "Wow, I can't believe how fast that was!) that customers at a fair will come back if it is too much of a wait for them. There's so much other stuff to do that they don't mind checking back. And they tell me time and time again that it was worth it.

I'm a talky-talky person, that's for sure. (Just TRY to get me to shut up!)
However I don't like like to talk to parents or anyone else or be interrupted while I'm painting... like Denise, I'm in "THE ZONE"... other people don't know that while all the other noises, voices, music, etc. are going on all around me, I am having a one-on-one session with my customer... and if it's a small child, I am literally right in their face giving little directions to them (close your eyes, put you head back, etc., etc.)

I can sometimes come off as gruff when I am interrupted while in the zone. I don't mean to be that way because I am really nothing more than just an overgrown kid and a big goofball. But I am at work - I'm doing my job with the utmost concentration - I need to focus just like a brain surgeon has to in their job! This is why I encourage the parents to stay outside the tent and let their child be a big boy or girl and get their face painted without mommy or daddy having to mollycoddle them through it. Of course, there are the exceptions to that - the little ones need the reassurance from the parent and so do kids with certain issues - but for the most part, I like the parents outside the tent. I took Denise's idea of having waiting chairs and went with it. Just collapsible camping chairs for easy transporting, but the parents are GRATEFUL to have the opportunity to sit and relax and tipped me probably 7 out of 10 times. My prices were $6, $8 and $10 and people were tipping beyond those prices. Nothing like painting a $6 design and getting handed a 10 dollar bill with a "keep it" from a rested and happy parent!

Lesson #5,861: The wind is not your friend. It is out to get your tent and all that is inside of it. Canopy tents should come with "Hold on for dear life handles".

Lesson #5,862: The cannon bang that starts off fireworks are not a face painter's friend, either. Not only do I jump and let out a little scream, so does the person in my chair and then I have to wipe off a black line mistake that, try as I might, cannot find a way to incorporate it into the design. This happened both nights there were fireworks... (loud balloon popping does the same exact thing to me!)

Lesson #5,863: My ankles CAN swell the size of elephants and stay that way for a week. Who cares if the face painter has to soak her big fat swollen tootsies in her foot bath!!!!

Lesson #5,864: Funnel cakes are still good 6 hours after they were made.

Lesson #5,865: Bartering face paints & glitter tattoos works well for vendors, whether it's for them or one of their family members.

Lesson #5,866: Miss Ronnie CAN have a wine slushie - but only when the fair is over and it's time to break everything down.

Little kids still say the darndest things: "Will you come to Florida with us and you can paint at SeaWorld?!)

Monster trucks are LOUD... so are Lawn Mower Pulling contests!

Yes, I can sit for hours and hours and not have to use the ladies room... but the minute I stand up and move around - well, gravity kicks in and then I gotta run!!!! Yikes!!!

Finally, my biggest lesson I have learned; Just like the song says "I Will Survive"....

Thanks for reading. I missed interacting all week with you guys. But I have more county fairs back to back and won't be on here too much for a couple of weeks.

I miss you already!!!! sunny
Miss Ronnie

Number of posts : 3089
Registration date : 2011-08-28

http://www.wix.com/missronnie/fantasyfaces

Back to top Go down

Re: Week Long Events

Post by Luvs to paint on Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:44 pm

Yay Ronnie!!! cheers

(We just have to be related somewhere down the line, toooo many darn similarities, lol) ...

Try elevating those cankles (lying down with them elevated above your heart), while someone waits on your every whim (wishful thinking, lol)... helps mine more than soaking.
Luvs to paint

Number of posts : 726
Registration date : 2011-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnie on Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:08 am

Last year we did...9? County fairs. Yeah.
Heat. It sucks.
On black top it sucks worse.
That's about all I have to say about that. lol Well, and a cooler with moist washcloths in it is AMAZING.

The breeze, or worse the drag race-circle8-tractor pull-demo derby-lawn mower-insert-mechanized-loud-and-dirty-race-here, kicking clouds of dirt into the tent is always my favorite part. Rolling Eyes

Welcome to the survivors club! Smile
Lynnie

Number of posts : 733
Registration date : 2010-02-09

http://www.artful-body.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Miss Ronnie on Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:18 am

omg, Lynnie... I never even thought of a cooler with moist washclothes!!!

I am always amazed at the genius of others!!!

Next week's county fair I'll be in an air-conditioned building...Woot-woot!!!
Miss Ronnie

Back to top Go down

Post by rthling on Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:30 am

I'm so glad to hear your new booth partner was a good fit for you.

Be safe!
rthling

Number of posts : 1829
Registration date : 2010-10-05

http://www.fancyfacesbydiane.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Denise Cold on Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:16 am

So glad things are working out for you...even the camp kitchen! Good luck with your other fairs and take care of yourself. Get a hotel if you're that tired!

D.
Denise Cold

Number of posts : 2717
Registration date : 2011-04-06

http://www.denisecold.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Miss Ronnie on Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:25 am

Next fair is only 17 miles from my parent's house... so I get to visit a bit each night and sleep in my old room!!!! (and maybe Mom will do my laundry Laughing)
Miss Ronnie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:31 am

Did you get PHOTOS?????

Back to top Go down

Post by Perry Noia on Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:37 am

if you can find the little tensor ankle braces, they will keep your ankles from swelling.
Perry Noia

Number of posts : 3523
Registration date : 2008-12-12

http://www.perrynoia.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Miss Ronnie on Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:39 am

This is our thrown-together-at-the-last-minute set up... it worked quite well. My area was in the back in my "cave"

These are the only photos I took because i was crazy busy. The panda girl was my first customer.
The Rainbow Tiger boy was working in the Utter Delights Ice Cream directly across from us - traded his face for a chocolate shake - YUM! His grandpa owns the traveling booth and Zach is only 13 years old, helping his gramps for the summer!
The Young man with the cheek art is heading off to Marine boot camp and he pulled up the picture he wanted on his phone. It came out pretty good... but it made me nervous. I didn't even charge him because I painted his girlfriend, too and it was my way of thanking him for serving our country.

Miss Ronnie

Back to top Go down

Post by Miss Ronnie on Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:00 am

Ooooo, thanks Perry!!! - I'm going to google tensor ankle braces now!!!! I love you
Miss Ronnie

Back to top Go down

Post by veelux on Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:47 pm

Ronnie, I don't know if it gets any cuter than you...You are so sweet and upbeat...a truly good soul...

I hope your fans keep you cool all year so you can just enjoy yourself and spread the fun out there....

Peace girl cheers
veelux

Number of posts : 1464
Registration date : 2012-02-11

http://www.glitznglowz.com

Back to top Go down

Post by debranewmanart on Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:12 pm

I like the way you get to know your customers Very Happy

debranewmanart

Number of posts : 615
Registration date : 2011-06-26

http://www.facebook.com/debranewmanart

Back to top Go down

Post by Denise Cold on Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:31 pm

Your face painting is fabulous, especially the Marine symbol. Nice setup.

D.
Denise Cold

Back to top Go down

Post by Miss Ronnie on Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:04 am

Thanks for all your kind words, ladies.

My body betrays me at every turn, so when I get home I just want to stay there and recuperate. This goes for even grocery shopping, which I have to use a motorized wheelchair for because my heel spurs hurt too much to walk up and down aisles. I need to rest from doing ANYTHING!!! I'm hoping that after I force myself through this rigorous routine this summer that I will be more physically able to do normal things...

...like housekeeping

or practicing some designs!

The good thing is that I am back down to having a total weight loss of 10 lbs... which is not that much in the grand scheme of having to lose 100lbs... but it is something: that still equates to two 5lb. bags of sugar that I am no longer carrying around!!!

Denise - you are nothing but a source of inspiration for me and you posting what you learn constantly helps so many of us!

Wishing there was a face paint forum picnic this summer! Very Happy
Miss Ronnie

Back to top Go down

Post by Becky521 on Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:51 am

Miss Ronnie wrote:Yes, I can sit for hours and hours and not have to use the ladies room... but the minute I stand up and move around - well, gravity kicks in and then I gotta run!!!! Yikes!!!

Oh yeah, I can relate to that one!
Becky521

Number of posts : 438
Registration date : 2012-03-07

Http://fantasticfacesbybecky.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Becky521 on Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:54 am

Miss Ronnie wrote:
The good thing is that I am back down to having a total weight loss of 10 lbs... which is not that much in the grand scheme of having to lose 100lbs... but it is something: that still equates to two 5lb. bags of sugar that I am no longer carrying around!!!

WTG!!! That's 10% to your goal which is AMAZING! I'm only down 2 lbs myself. I lost 10, gained it back when I tried to switch weight loss programs and I think that messed up my metabolism because it took me almost 2 months to lose back the 8 lbs that it took me 2 weeks to lose the first time! grrrrr.

Becky521

Back to top Go down

Post by Denise Cold on Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:29 pm

I found out that I'm retaining a LOT of water. I had to stop but I was taking hubby's water pills..8 lbs in 3 days. I'm a camel! The stoopid doctor that I had JUST been too two weeks previously wanted to make a new appointment to give me the Rx. Whatever. I'm looking for a new doctor as long as I have to go in. Had the same doctor for 20 years and he retired. Sigh.

A face painting picnic sounds so fab you have no idea. No one understands my geekiness. Smile
Denise Cold

Back to top Go down

Post by HillbillyDiva1 on Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:26 pm

Miss Ronnie I know how you feel I too am a big gal with heath problem. The weight didn't cause them but it doesn't help. I've only lost 6lb. and I think alot of that is because my regular job is in the heat outside in a long dress painting parasols. I don't think I would have the strength to do a week long out door event especially in this heat. BTW Ladies it just started raining here can I hear a hallelujah!
HillbillyDiva1

Number of posts : 475
Registration date : 2011-09-04

http://www.gandgfaceandbodyart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Miss Ronnie on Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:31 pm

Hallelujah! It rained here quite a bit today, too.

Unfortunately, I had to break down and take a hydrocodone for my back again a couple of hours ago..... purrrrrrrrrrrr.........
Miss Ronnie

Back to top Go down

Post by Luvs to paint on Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:07 pm

I do a 6 day, all day event every October, but thankfully it's inside. Climate controlled and close to the potty! Yahoo!!
Luvs to paint

Number of posts : 726
Registration date : 2011-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Becky521 on Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:31 pm

Climate control and. Lose to the potty for the win!
Becky521

Back to top Go down

Post by Miss Ronnie on Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:09 am

Going to set up for this coming week's county fair tomorrow... groan.

But air conditioned building and working plumbing is like heaven to my ears!
Laughing
Miss Ronnie

Back to top Go down

Post by Stacia on Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:42 am

Miss Ronnie, I Hope your body cooperates with you today as you set up. Congrats on the 10lbs lost! I've somehow managed to lose 14lbs to date (started Paleo and even started working out at the gym again), and I feel like it's made a little difference on my back and knees...and that has inspired me to stay on track to lose more. Can't wait to hear about your next 10lbs lost, so keep it up Wink!
Stacia

Number of posts : 750
Registration date : 2010-07-13

https://www.facebook.com/BoiseFacePainting

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top