Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Starblend ideas!

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Starblend ideas!

Post by alezmata on Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:33 am

Thanks Denise. I think that I will practice one lollipop per face, especially since you can double load before you start applying to the face. Clever.

Rubbing the product in a circular motion, tapping and pressing before applying the starblends controls the extra powder. Doing it this way I don't have any powder falling off onto clothes or where I don't want it.

I also use a black kitchen napkin over the lap of the person. Just in case I drip paint or for any other mistakes. I learned the hard way, I dripped Wolfe metallic rose down the most beautiful sweater and on to the khakis. In slow motion of course. In order to make up for it I sent her a coupon for free face painting, 1 hr 8-10 kids. They were beautiful clothes. I had 2 parties that day and had been painting for 6 hrs.

You could also use a barbers smock until you have more control of the starblends.
alezmata

Number of posts : 59
Registration date : 2011-08-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Face Painting By Donna on Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:35 am

So all this starblend talk jinxed me I think..as I was packing up the car..my orange & yellow went falling to the pavement..cracking into a million pieces...only a little survived . I'm not sure if it will be too hard to use in pieces..ugh!

Face Painting By Donna

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2011-02-11

http://www.facepaintingbydonna.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Denise Cold on Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:22 pm

Some have had success by soaking with high concentrate alcohol and smushing back into the container and letting it dry. I think Linda Schrenk has done it.

D.

denise@paintedparty.com
www.paintedparty.com

Denise Cold

Number of posts : 2717
Registration date : 2011-04-06

http://www.denisecold.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Face Painting By Donna on Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:46 pm

thanks Denise! You are my Starblend Guru..lol!
Razz

Face Painting By Donna

Back to top Go down

Post by Face Painting by Jessica on Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:24 am

I'm loving my white starblend now, but I'm wondering if it will get used up quicker than if I were using paint. One thing I like is that I don't have to apply goopy TAG white to that unfortunate soul who sits in my chair at the end of the day. I suppose it will keep my white paint more intact.

But in all reality, which do you think is the more economial option between aint and Starblends?
Face Painting by Jessica

Number of posts : 644
Registration date : 2012-04-12

http://www.facepaintingbyjessica.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Denise Cold on Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:31 pm

Definitely Starblends. I really have to lather up my paints to do a full face and the Starblends I only have to load my lolly maybe twice to do a skull or a spidey. It's really cut down on my paint orders for regular colors (shhh...don't tell anyone) and I've only had to replace my white and red once.

denise@paintedparty.com
www.paintedparty.com

Denise Cold

Back to top Go down

Post by Kammy on Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:48 pm

Denise Cold wrote:Definitely Starblends. I really have to lather up my paints to do a full face and the Starblends I only have to load my lolly maybe twice to do a skull or a spidey. It's really cut down on my paint orders for regular colors (shhh...don't tell anyone) and I've only had to replace my white and red once.
That alone makes me want the white, red and black Starblends. Saving money is gooood. Thanks for the info.
Kammy

Number of posts : 1408
Registration date : 2012-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Kammy on Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:52 pm

Oh, I forgot to ask something I'm curious about, since we have The Starblend Guru on hand...

Denise, do you ever use the Starblends over a sponged base - say, white SB over a sponged white base - in order to make a smoother surface and increase the opacity and even coverage? Do they work well that way? Or does it just make a modgey (that should be a word...right? Laughing ) mess?

I ask because I've seen some beautiful sugar skulls recently with absolutely picture-perfect, smooth, porcelain-like white bases, and I wondered if the Starblends would work over paint to achieve something like that. Or would it be better just to apply gentle layers of the SB until it looked perfectly white?
Kammy

Back to top Go down

Starblends over paint

Post by Denise Cold on Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:27 pm

Oh yes... That would be a good thing to try, haven't done it full face but (I know I sound like SUCH A STARBLEND FREAK RIGHT NOW but...)

I was using starblend to add shading to a triceretops design and it worked so well. I had put down the base in light green paint and then went back over it with my dark green Starblend to deepen the eye sockets (and make them more comfortable) and outline the muzzle to get the differentiation and then ran lines from the forehead out to each of the spikes. The picture doesn't show the detail very well (and it's a little messed up from eating) but then I sponged on the spots and it looked so layered and cool in real life.

I've also done it the other way. I'll base out Hulk eyes with the Starblend and then have them do the scrinched eyes and sponge a light paint over the starblends to get the highlights. Here's a photo of me with them on:

I think using paint and Starblends together is the best of both worlds. Like you can use your stencils with Starblends over paint (just make sure you don't load too much on the lolly) or you can sponge paint over starblends and it works really well.

The same for Ben Nye Lumieres...but you can't buy those until you have $300 in the bank. This is a TT intervention. Razz

denise@paintedparty.com
www.paintedparty.com

Denise Cold

Back to top Go down

Post by Denise Cold on Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:30 pm

Oh, Donna! Did you catch my repair video? Found out from Shelly Ayers that you can just repress them.

http://youtu.be/UIC8qdSbDnw

denise@paintedparty.com
www.paintedparty.com

Denise Cold

Back to top Go down

Post by Kammy on Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:00 pm

I love the way you use scrunchy eyes to make those lines - so cool! Thanks for the answer, that's exactly the sort of information I was looking for. I'd love to see what sort of pure white base you could achieve with sponged paint and Starblends...not that I'm encouraging you or anything, you understand....
Denise Cold wrote:The same for Ben Nye Lumieres...but you can't buy those until you have $300 in the bank. This is a TT intervention. Razz
Dagnammit, did I just get an official TT diagnosis????

Le sigh. Laughing

Last edited by Kammy on Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kammy

Back to top Go down

Post by Face Painting By Donna on Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:23 pm

No Denise I didn't see it.I still kept the cracked ones.point me in the right direction...lol Thanks! Very Happy

Face Painting By Donna

Back to top Go down

Post by Denise Cold on Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:42 pm

Basically you powder them up again with a seive and repress...isn't that im-PRESS-ive. Get it...im-press-ive...sigh

http://youtu.be/UIC8qdSbDnw

denise@paintedparty.com
www.paintedparty.com

Denise Cold

Back to top Go down

Post by martha on Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:59 pm

I watched your Starblend and your chapstick sushi videos this past weekend. Very im-press-sieve for sure Denise. I was amazed that the Starblends went back into cake without a binder of some sort for sure.
martha

Number of posts : 1951
Registration date : 2011-05-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Denise Cold on Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:37 pm

I guess there is a binder in there. I was actually watching the pressed makeup videos and she talked about a powdered base binder for pressing and how MAC powders already came with it. So it's there...we just don't see it. Smile

denise@paintedparty.com
www.paintedparty.com

Denise Cold

Back to top Go down

Post by Luvs to paint on Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:49 pm

i knocked my Lumiere kit to the concrete ground this past weekend, it popped open and all the little pots ran in ever direction. it was in slow motion, lol. lucky for me, not a single one cracked or was ruined. it had been flooding that day too and every pot, when it finally stopped rolling, missed the surrounding puddles! lucky me!
Luvs to paint

Number of posts : 726

Back to top Go down

Post by Mary Kraynik on Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:27 pm

I have been face painting for many years and I just met someone who face paints and uses the starblend. Seems so much lighter and better looking than putting the paint on wet. What basic colors do you recommend to get first? Any suggestions.....Mary

Mary Kraynik

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2013-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Rebons on Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:02 am

Hi Mary
If you search not using the search bar above, but by google (type "starblends site:facepaintforum.com"), you will find a wealth of information. The short answer (IMHO) is black, white & red. Smile
Happy reading!
Rebons

Number of posts : 327
Registration date : 2012-08-14

Http://happypaintedfaces.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by RickyMUA on Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:49 pm

Is the one stroke on your board of face designs a star blend as well? If so how is that possible?
RickyMUA

Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2013-05-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Denise Cold on Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:32 pm

Yay Rebons! That's it.

If you like those, you will probably want to get orange, yellow & pink. If you hate them then you only have three to get rid of. Smile

denise@paintedparty.com
www.paintedparty.com

Denise Cold

Back to top Go down

Post by Denise Cold on Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:38 pm

RickyMUA...there is a mix on my boards of Starblends and regular designs. The animal board is all Starblends except the dog has some outlining with one-stroke. Usually, any full faced boy design or animal I start with starblends. Girl designs I tend to use rainbows except I'll use Starblends for the little rose princess, Hello Kitty, and the bird because I'm layering so I want the powder underneath because it's a little easier to paint on top of it. Ben Nye Lumieres are great for basing girl designs too. Linda Shrenk has some great ones.

denise@paintedparty.com
www.paintedparty.com

Denise Cold

Back to top Go down

Post by Niki Chennell on Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:51 am

Denise Cold wrote:RickyMUA...there is a mix on my boards of Starblends and regular designs. The animal board is all Starblends except the dog has some outlining with one-stroke. Usually, any full faced boy design or animal I start with starblends. Girl designs I tend to use rainbows except I'll use Starblends for the little rose princess, Hello Kitty, and the bird because I'm layering so I want the powder underneath because it's a little easier to paint on top of it. Ben Nye Lumieres are great for basing girl designs too. Linda Shrenk has some great ones.

Hi. Im new to this Forum so Im sorry if this question has already been answered. It was hard reading all 5 pages. Are the Starblends used wet or dry? I use Paradise AQ normally but I'm loving the idea of an opaque powder. Btw Denise i love you work. SmileSmile
Niki Chennell

Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2014-10-29

Back to top Go down

Post by fesspenter on Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:11 am

Dear Niki Chennell:
The Starblends are used dry.
If you get them wet, it changes the consistency of the Starblend, and then they must subsequently always be used wet.... unless you use Denise Cold's tip of breaking up the Starblend and putting it through a sieve several times and repacking the Starblend back into a container.
Starblends are excellent on hot days, when there is a lot of humidity, or there are sweaty children. Starblends do not run like paint. When you sweat wearing Starblends, the colour gets more intense.

Happy Painting!
fesspenter

Number of posts : 3328
Registration date : 2011-04-29

http://www.wix.com/lisaleyes/facepaintbylisaleyes

Back to top Go down

Post by Niki Chennell on Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:16 am

fesspenter wrote:Dear Niki Chennell:
The Starblends are used dry.
If you get them wet, it changes the consistency of the Starblend, and then they must subsequently always be used wet.... unless you use Denise Cold's tip of breaking up the Starblend and putting it through a sieve several times and repacking the Starblend back into a container.  
Starblends are excellent on hot days, when there is a lot of humidity, or there are sweaty children.  Starblends do not run like paint.  When you sweat wearing Starblends, the colour gets more intense.

Happy Painting!

Thank you so much for the clarification. SmileSmile I'm excited to try them now. Gonna order the whote, red, and black as that seems to me the most suggested. Lol.
Niki Chennell

Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2014-10-29

Back to top Go down

Post by LittleMonsters on Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:09 pm

I finally used my black starblend yesterday (just for some shading) and I loved it! I didn't realize it was going to have such a huge impact and I put it on way too dark at first and then I just had to make it work! Smile
LittleMonsters

Number of posts : 397
Registration date : 2014-08-30

http://littlemonstersfacepainting.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top