Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Heads up - watch your stencils

Go down

Heads up - watch your stencils

Post by mhr2133 on Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:01 pm

We started to notice occasionally that we were going through a lot of stencils. Then at a restaurant gig all of the spiderman stencils went missing. We've never had anything stolen from our kits before but I think with the retail marketing of Glimmer/Shimmer kits available at Walmart the kids and parents have been asking about the stencils and unfortunately looks like they steal them.

For the first time we have something in the kits that they want and can use at home with their Glimmer kits. The waste is that the stencils they have taken were so detailed only the most experienced of our artists have any chance of using them but they don't know that.

We all like to believe that we have total control over our kits but just a heads up, when your painting you can really get into the "zone" and lose track of everything around you.
mhr2133

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2011-10-16

Back to top Go down

Re: Heads up - watch your stencils

Post by JENDZS on Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:11 am

What a shame! Thanks for the heads up. I agree, when you are in the "zone", sometimes it gets hard to keep track of everything!
JENDZS

Number of posts : 159
Registration date : 2010-11-15

http://www.facepaintingbyjen.com

Back to top Go down

Post by skjfunny on Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:18 am

We have done glitter tatts for at least 5 years at a hotel in the summer, this year it has been a nightmare. I am so tired of hearing "Are they Glimmer?" "Did you get these from on T.V.?" Yes, we have had them stolen this year and it is unbelievable that a parent wouldn't notice or CARE. Of course, that parent might be the one that cut in line and said she was in a hurry the kids could wait, she's been wanting one of these tattoos! The hotel pays so they are free and we are swarmed with people, made signs to cut off the line but the problem is they are so beautiful that 20 mins. after we start they have returned to the pool and everyone loves them so much they come to get one...sorry they line is full by then. This year I started doing some for the boys in just the black ink and they really love it. Wonder what the NEXT exciting new fad will be??? sunny
skjfunny

Number of posts : 198
Registration date : 2010-08-17

http://sunshinetheclown.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Face Painting by Jessica on Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:30 am

Thankfully I haven't seen any of those dreaded commercials for Canada so we appear to be the only provider of them.

What a poop for taking your stencil... I'm wondering if you found out who it was and could prove it... would it be worth pressing charges?

When I worked at a pizzeria I caught a grown man stealing a dip. I went up to him and said, "It will be a 80 cents for that dip in your pocket.", he threw down a loonie and walked out.

Some people...
Face Painting by Jessica

Number of posts : 644
Registration date : 2012-04-12

http://www.facepaintingbyjessica.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by skjfunny on Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:49 am

Our company is in the entertainment/hospitality business...words with guests of the hotel just won't work. It doesn't matter how wrong they are it is important we smile and let it go. Long term operating this way has proven worthwhile since our rates are higher and we are still in demand. Being Right doesn't matter if it costs us money and accounts. One of the best pieces of advice I got many years ago was "Do you wanna be right or do you wanna be happy?" Learning to let it go makes life much easier. Now I don't mean that for ethics in my own life, but it just isn't good business to police guests at an event if you want to be hired back. sunny
skjfunny

Number of posts : 198
Registration date : 2010-08-17

http://sunshinetheclown.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Face Painting by Jessica on Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:22 am

Good point, I was thinking it was a private booking. But you're right, when it comes down to a stencil it would not be worth it to press charges.

Sometimes I just get so mad when clients don't take us seriously.
Face Painting by Jessica

Number of posts : 644
Registration date : 2012-04-12

http://www.facepaintingbyjessica.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by anniel on Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:25 pm

I had a tween come up and start helping herself to my display--I looked at her, and told her, "Hey, those belong to me" & she shrugged & left them. Just kinds surprised.
anniel

Number of posts : 2317
Registration date : 2010-12-27

http://entertainment-etc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by EileenF on Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:40 am

I strongly suggest keeping stencils in an area behind the booth or right by your feet where you are working. It is best if the public does not have access at all to your stencils. Events can get crowded and hectic, but the way I have my things set up is that everything is in my reach and I would notice if someone wanted to have a 5 finger discount. I had a lady once ask me if she could have stencils for her use so she can decorate cookies with them! lol I think the only one that is sold on TV is Shimmer body art. They are total copycats of Glimmer body art,if you look at Glimmer (the pro website) you can see that Shimmer is a total copycat. Glimmer body art is what I work with, and they are not sold at Walmart. Just take a look at Shimmer's website and you will see they are copying Glimmer. Down to a "t" from the bottles of glue, to the stencils, to the company's name that removes the "G" and replaced it with "Sh". Glimmer has been around forever.

What Shimmer is doing (in my opinion) is they are selling the $14.99 kits to mimic Glimmer Body Art's "Party in a box". Glimmer's comes with 12 stencils, a glue, 4 glitters and the brushes. On the upside, Glimmer Body Art has 3 different small (or party in a box) kits vs. only 1 that I can see on Shimmer's website. On Shimmerbodyart.com, the next kit up has 40 stencils, 12 glitters, 2 glues, 2 brush sets. Glimmer's next step up is the Business Kit, which is for a professional, and it is the one that I use. It comes with 150 stencils, 2 brush sets, 30 glitters, 4 glues, poster, care card and a palette which is optional.

Shimmer has no list of what kind of glitter or glue is used. (In case customers ask). Let your customers know that you only use cosmetic-grade glitter and glue that is safe for the skin. If they ask you if it is what is on the commercials, be proud to say know and why. Glimmer's glue is dermatologist-tested and the glitter is cosmetic-grade. Shimmer Body Art is only a 1 page website, not very informative to the public as far as ingredients. Also, they do not have any information for customers to order more supplies like stencils or glue.

Personally, I think it's great that there is competition. That way, we can educate our customers better that we offer nothing but the best. We use products that are safe on the skin. I am not saying Shimmer is NOT safe, I don't know. But you would think that they would offer the public some info that is easy to access on what ingredients are in their products.

For instance, here is an example. I am a hair stylist as well, and it doesn't bother me one bit that hair color is sold at the supermarket. (Same idea as glitter kits sold at Walmart now) Box color... Is it good? I don't know what's in it, and it works for some people and that's great. Is it bad to color your hair at home? Maybe yes, maybe no. It depends on your experience. And that's where I make my money. Fixing color mistakes from people who went that route later appreciateed my knowledge as a professional. There is always going to be that one company that tries to take products and services out of professional's hands and give it to the public. As seen on TV! Or at huge retailers. Now you see at-home microderm treatments, press-on nails, waxing,... the list goes on and on. And now, Shimmer body art.

I hope nobody is discouraged about Shimmer. It's all in how you look at it. If you show the world that your work is unique, you will attract customers who will pay you for it and admire quality.

Some people may "think" that stencils are freebies if they are displayed in such a way for people to have access to them. To them, they are just "stickers". So it's up to you how to organize your stencils and setup to be prepared for people who steal.

I always keep a big rolling box that I put all my stuff in for events. I always keep it under the table that has a tablecloth on it. I would not miss it if someone tried to mess with it.

Heres some ideas. Organize your stencils for that event on a poster and number them. Then right next to you, have a folder (like a calliaope or coupon folder or however its spelled) and have the tabs numbered according to your poster. It is very neat, and keeps hands off your stencils. Or you can get a small photo box and do the same thing. Always try to have someone work with you if possible to be your second pair of eyes.

I will be honest, I have worked trade shows for a big company and was hired to do glitter tattoos retailing Glimmer Body Art. As long as you have a system, nothing will be missing by the end of the day. Maybe tattoo a glitter eye on the back of your head for good luck Smile That's a joke we have!

I hope it helps! Smile
EileenF

Number of posts : 105
Registration date : 2012-03-26

Back to top Go down

Post by EileenF on Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:44 am

I meant "no" not "know"... haha I'm sleepy.
EileenF

Back to top Go down

Post by vegas mom on Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:19 am

I think I read somewhere on here that Glimmer is merchandising their product on TV as Shimmer....
http://www.facepaintforum.com/t11219p15-shimmer-commercials-on-nickelodeon?highlight=shimmer

Last edited by vegas mom on Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:22 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added thread link)
vegas mom

Number of posts : 778
Registration date : 2011-11-06

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Magic-Wand-Face-Painting-and-Glit

Back to top Go down

Post by veelux on Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:31 am

We photocopied all the stencils we have ,and made books (duo tangs with sheet protectors) with a numbering system. My husband keeps al of the stencilsl in 2 large recipe type boxes on his table. The boxes are big enough to fit most sizes, even the quite large ones. No sticky fingers allowed. We pass the books around and the kids tell us the number they want and he has a copy for the price so it works pretty smooth.
veelux

Number of posts : 1464
Registration date : 2012-02-11

http://www.glitznglowz.com

Back to top Go down

Post by barbb919 on Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:17 am

I also have a book with copies of the designs and they are numbered...i keep the stencils bye me...here is a picture of my glitter tattoo kit[img][/img]
barbb919

Number of posts : 2109
Registration date : 2010-03-23

http://tappysfacepainting.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Linda Adams on Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:01 am

I thought Glimmer owned Shimmer and was selling kits to the public via Shimmer.
Linda Adams

Number of posts : 563
Registration date : 2009-04-30

http://www.NotQuiteWarpaint.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Noella on Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:43 pm

If they are the same, the domain ownership and registration information is about as far apart as you can get (while still being in the same country)

Domain Name: SHIMMERBODYART.COM
Registrant:
IdeaVillage
Wayne Plaza II
155 US Hwy 46 W 4th fl.
Wayne, New Jersey 07470
United States

Registered through: GoDaddy.com, LLC (http://www.godaddy.com)
Domain Name: SHIMMERBODYART.COM
Created on: 21-Feb-12
Expires on: 21-Feb-13
Last Updated on: 30-Apr-12

Domain servers in listed order:
PDNS1.ULTRADNS.NET
PDNS2.ULTRADNS.NET
PDNS3.ULTRADNS.ORG
PDNS4.ULTRADNS.ORG
PDNS5.ULTRADNS.INFO
PDNS6.ULTRADNS.CO.UK
------------------------------------
Domain Name: GLITTERTATTOOSTORE.COM
Registrar: DOMAINPEOPLE, INC.
Whois Server: whois.domainpeople.com
Referral URL: http://www.domainpeople.com
Name Server: DNS01.PROSTORES.COM
Name Server: DNS02.PROSTORES.COM
Name Server: DNS03.PROSTORES.COM
Name Server: DNS04.PROSTORES.COM
Updated Date: 27-apr-2010
Creation Date: 15-sep-2007
Expiration Date: 15-sep-2018

Registrant Contact:
Salustiano III Samaco
Salustiano III ()

Fax:
3601 W. Rosecrans Ave. #14
HAWTHORNE, CA 90250
US

-------------------------------------------

Domain Name: GLIMMERPRO.COM
Registrar: NETWORK SOLUTIONS, LLC.
Whois Server: whois.networksolutions.com
Referral URL: http://www.networksolutions.com/en_US/
Name Server: NS1.BLUEHOST.COM
Name Server: NS2.BLUEHOST.COM
Updated Date: 03-jul-2012
Creation Date: 01-feb-2011
Expiration Date: 01-feb-2020

Registrant:
Samaco, Macky
Glimmer Body Art
2311 W 205th Street
Suite 104
Torrance, CA 90501
US
------------------------------------
Domain Name: GLIMMERBODYART.US
Sponsoring Registrar: .US REGISTRAR L.L.C.
Registrar URL (registration services): www.networksolutions.com
Domain Status: clientTransferProhibited
Registrant ID: 52654032
Registrant Name: Macky Samaco
Registrant Organization: Glimmer Body Art
Registrant Address1: 2311 W 205th Street
Registrant Address2: Suite 104
Registrant City: Torrance
Registrant State/Province: CA
Registrant Postal Code: 90501
Registrant Country: United States
Registrant Country Code: US
Name Server: YNS1.YAHOO.COM
Name Server: YNS2.YAHOO.COM
----------------------------

All of these are public information in the "whois" database - the last two are definitely related, the second one I wasn't sure if it was related (doesn't look it from the DNS side, but it could be because the address is close), but the first one (shimmer) has nothing at all in common - it's even a single year registration. I did find it interesting that when searching for Glimmer, Shimmer has bought the words.....

Noella

Number of posts : 532
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnie on Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:08 pm

Yeah. Mark from Glimmer admitted to Shimmer being a merchandising thing for them.

We have numbered posters out front and the stencils are kept in a closed box on the back of the table. We learned that about 3 years ago when stencils walked, before the Shimmer craze, which I don't have cable so I haven't seen, but it will fade. Fushigi -or however that's spelled- did. I'm a contact juggler and only saw a surge in that for one season. Something will replace it soon enough.
Lynnie

Number of posts : 733
Registration date : 2010-02-09

http://www.artful-body.com

Back to top Go down

Post by EileenF on Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:43 pm

I contacted my girl at Glimmer to ask, and I will post her reply when I can get to my computer. I am having trouble from my phone. Sad
EileenF

Back to top Go down

Post by Miss Ronnie on Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:24 pm

Last Christmas I thought that I had my red Starblends stolen from me... but it did turn up later after I'd already purchased a replacement.

Other than that, there is no way that anyone could ever steal any of my products from me. I have everything right within my reach and nobody could touch a thing without me knowing it because they'd have to reach right in front of me to do it...... love my REI camp kitchen!!!!

Miss Ronnie

Number of posts : 3089
Registration date : 2011-08-28

http://www.wix.com/missronnie/fantasyfaces

Back to top Go down

Post by EileenF on Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:55 am

Agreed! Yes I spoke to Lindsay at Glimmer and Glimmer manufactures Shimmer body art.
EileenF

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down