Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Need advice from a local New yorker :)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Need advice from a local New yorker :)

Post by Rockie on Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:59 am

Good morning everyone . This is the "break room " and I decided to ask any one from New York some advice.

I am going To NYC, New York in a couple months and want to know where the best/safest neighborhoods are and where to STaY AWAy from........
I am going to do the tourist spots, however looking into visiting local neighborhoods and possibly New Jersey.

I would love any suggestions also for local Artist hot spots and also kid friendly places...

Please help this California girl ..

I have done HOURS of research, and have in mind some places, however
All the research on the net can't compare to a New Yorker's insight.

Very much appreciated - Thankyou Smile

Rockie

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2012-04-19

Back to top Go down

Re: Need advice from a local New yorker :)

Post by Psalmbook on Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:33 am

I'm nota New Yorker, but have been there for my son's dance competitions. The subway rocks & can get you around easily. New Yorker's are pretty friendly & will help a lost newbie... I stayed in Jersey & road the train in... big mistake. I should have just stayed in the city.
Psalmbook

Number of posts : 7642
Registration date : 2010-03-09

http://www.wix.com/psalmbook/Lindas-Face-Painting

Back to top Go down

Post by TinafromNY on Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:44 am

I'm originally from Brooklyn and went to school and worked in Manhattan for years, although lots has changed since I left. In general, I never used to go above the 80"s (st. numbers) and anything past 7th or 8th ave. gets a little seedy, even during the day. However, I'll say that people are always walking around, even very late, so the neighborhoods are busy. You still have to have that "instinct" to be careful in NY though. Just try to walk around like you belong there, don't carry your camera in full view cause it makes you look like a tourist and an easy mark! These are just precautions, not meant to make you afraid to walk around as it's pretty safe with all the people, especially in touristy sections! I like the east side, the times square area for entertainment, which has been "cleaned up" over the years, Mulberry st. for the Italians, Chinatown for something different, Village during the day for galleries & street vendors and outdoor cafes & art. Upper street numbers for famous museums etc. Downtown if you want to see Wall st. and the 911 site, Fulton St. area for cheap shopping, Central Park (watch yourself) during the day. Circleline tour at the peers on West side is a good outing and not too expensive. The "Intrepid" ship is docked there now too if you have any interest. Lots of great areas in Manhattan, get a guide at a sidewalk newstand or write to the tourist bureau beforehand - and lots of cheap cafes and restaurants, it's not all expensive, have fun! Tina ps - some neighborhoods in Brooklyn have really been cleaned up and changed since I've been there too and are very with it and urban now. Astoria (on the other side of the bridge from manhattan, is an interesting place, so are a few other neighborhoods in Brooklyn.
TinafromNY

Number of posts : 993
Registration date : 2012-07-05

http://www.facefanaticfacepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rockie on Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:37 pm

Thankyou so much for your tips Tina and Psalmbook Smile
Very much apprectiated cheers

Rockie

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2012-04-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top