Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Paint on Eyes and Lips

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Paint on Eyes and Lips

Post by smiley143 on Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:59 am

My question is painting on the eyes and lips is really OK?

I see a that alot of face painting is on the eye lids, right under the eyes and on the lips. I am kind of scared of painting real close to a litlle kids eyes or on their lips. I don't want to get any in their eyes. And what if a parent ask me if it will hurt their kid.

I have Tag paints.

smiley143

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2012-08-07

Back to top Go down

Re: Paint on Eyes and Lips

Post by vinnie on Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:39 am

I paint on the eyes and lips, but it really depends on the child (if they let you), and also how you paint around the eyes. Just be gentler. Unless you poke them in the eye with the brush you'll be fine Wink

Boys for some reason normally don't like anything around the eye, lol. For this one I mostly painted the top of the eye leaving under the eye a little messy, which I think adds to this design anyway. Smile and I painted the top of his lips.

Then there is this one. Girls love these types of designs because it's like makeup, lol.

vinnie

Number of posts : 315
Registration date : 2010-08-27

http://www.colormefacepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by smiley143 on Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:34 pm

Thank you - I love your samples!

smiley143

Back to top Go down

Post by vinnie on Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:58 pm

Thanks! Happy painting! Smile
vinnie

Back to top Go down

Post by Denise Cold on Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:33 pm

I found some paint that doesn't make my lips numb so I potted it separately in a little glitter pot for when girls ask for lipstick. It's the light magenta from Jest Paint and I didn't like it as a paint (too transparent) but it makes a fabulous lip tint and didn't numb my lips. I don't know if the other colors would be good like that or not. Just noticed it's on my lips in the butterfly picture... Smile

BTW....LOVE that skull Vinnie. Smile How much longer does it take to do the teeth and details?
Denise Cold

Number of posts : 2717
Registration date : 2011-04-06

http://www.denisecold.com

Back to top Go down

Post by vinnie on Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:45 pm

Hmmm, I've never had paints make my lips numb scratch I even add some glitter to the lips, oh boy, doe the girls go crazy for that!

Thanks Denise. This skull is pretty quick. Eveeything in white I paint all at once, then just add the black details, including the lines for the teeth. Smile
vinnie

Back to top Go down

Post by Denise Cold on Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:57 pm

Maybe it only effects certain people but all of the Dfx, Wolfe & TAG seem to do it. I should try them since I am one of the sensitive ones. I've got a Paradise that I can try too. It's like a tingling chemical feel...numb is the best word for it. It continues awhile after I remove it.

D.
Denise Cold

Back to top Go down

Post by smiley143 on Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:13 pm

I am going to try them on my lips tonight.

The parents don't have a problem with it?

smiley143

Back to top Go down

Post by vinnie on Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:39 pm

I use mostly DFX. No, so far none of the parents have a problem with it. I usually hear the "aww, how cute!" as I'm painting their lips, lol. And then a "wow" when I add the glitter, lol. I use a metallic pink and opalescent white glitter, that way it's more of a girlie look and not the sexy red lipstick Wink
vinnie

Back to top Go down

Post by elantaura on Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:17 pm

Never had a problem with any brand with numbness.
But though I would add that acording to my kids FAB tastes the worst.
elantaura

Number of posts : 728
Registration date : 2011-08-22

http://suejuddfacepaintingandbodyart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by staysilly on Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:49 am

I also notice the boys are more nervous about it.

I try to talk them through it gently, reminding them that its not painful and asking them to look up at the sky or ceiling when I paint under their eyes.

For little kids I like to leave a gap around their eyes, even if they are getting a pirates black eye patch or something like that. They are more likely to rub their eyes and I prefer to be careful rather than getting a perfect design.
staysilly

Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2010-11-10

Back to top Go down

Brushes on Boys

Post by Denise Cold on Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:56 pm

I don't do brushes around boys eyes anymore now that I got my Starblends and BOY has it helped. I've even had boys thank me for it "this is much more comfortable" "this doesn't feel like paint" "I don't feel anything."

This is also one of the reasons I don't do a patch on the pirate anymore. I know that they will have a really hard time getting it off and will have eye liner on one eye. I know they'll probably have a little residue with black Starblends when I do skulls and such but at least it's both eyes. Smile

I still sponge over boys eyes for dragons and such but always powder their lid with the Starblends afterwards by either shading or matching (like Tigers.) I don't remember to do this as well with the girls but I'll use Ben Nye if I do. I did this with a dragonfly eye design. She liked the TAG teal color for the base so I used the Ben Nye pinkish color and went over her eye lid and then added that color to spots around the base of the design. It added a little dimension to the design.

As far as safe, I have unfortunately had paint get in a couple of clients eyes and it looks horrible but they haven't said it hurts but it will water up. Have regular tissues or cotton pads for this. It's a good idea anyway because sometimes they just tear up automatically. Having them look up when you paint under their eye helps. The best way to avoid this is water control. If your paint is too wet, either sponge or brush, you will get it into their eyes because of wicking and cohesion. The water will wick up their wet eyes. It has to be makeup consistency.

Usually the only time I've had a parent worried about toxicity is when it's on their lips. Paint and even cosmetic glitter are non-toxic.

Whew. Yak. Yak. Yak. pirat
Denise Cold

Back to top Go down

Post by ambodyart on Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:24 pm

denise- love that idea with the starblends. I am going to go on a shopping spree and pick up palettes of several different brands/types of paint/powder to see what works better.

I currently have only Wolfe Fx in my kit and if you read the label on the pot it tells you what numbers you can/cannot put on the eyes/lips. I know the pinks/reds are a "no-no". Also if you are unsure you can download the MSDS sheets for the paints. I have the ones for wolfe in my kit just in case along with the ingredients lists for everything I use. I have it all in a binder.

When in doubt I tweak the design and use white around the eye or leave a space.

Soooooo going to buy some new palettes to play with.... off to work on my wishlist!

ambodyart

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2012-08-21

Back to top Go down

Post by LilSister on Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:19 pm

Denise Cold wrote:Maybe it only effects certain people but all of the Dfx, Wolfe & TAG seem to do it. I should try them since I am one of the sensitive ones. I've got a Paradise that I can try too. It's like a tingling chemical feel...numb is the best word for it. It continues awhile after I remove it.

D.

Paints have the same effect on me, My lips went numb. I took some Benadryl and was fine. It was the Wolfe Red that got me.
LilSister

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2012-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by daphne78 on Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:28 am

Yesterday, when I did my faboulus (LOL, other word is terrible) spiderman on myself, I've painted my lips and now I know this feeling! My kids and the other kids a paint a couple of times a week never told me this!
daphne78

Number of posts : 341
Registration date : 2012-08-22

http://daphneschminkt.webklik.nl

Back to top Go down

Post by tamarielpaints on Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:21 pm

I like this: http://www.coastalscents.com/makeup/palettes/lip-palettes/66lippalette.html

The gold color is what I used in my peacock avatar.
tamarielpaints

Number of posts : 637
Registration date : 2010-12-07

http://www.tamarielpaints.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ambodyart on Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:32 pm

As far as adding lip color with a mask, crown, etc. I'd say just go to the dollar store or five below and get some lip gloss palettes and a bunch of applicators. I you know someone who sells Avon or Mary Kay maybe you could get them to order you a bunch of the sample size lipsticks. At least to see if it's even worth it.

I tell the girls I paint at the amusement park the paint tastes bad. They are usually ok with that explanation. Last thing I want to do is say "I can't paint your lipstick because it may cause a reaction.

If the design goes over the mouth or eyes I make sure I'm using a "safe" color.
ambodyart

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2012-08-21

Back to top Go down

Post by victoriaclarke77 on Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:27 am

I also paint near the eyes of kids but before that i make it clear to kid to just sit quietly and than paint.

victoriaclarke77

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2012-07-03

http://michaelscoupons2012.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by Kammy on Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:25 pm

I only paint my little boy or myself so far, but we both have rather sensitive skin. Despite that, I find I can use Snazaroo around the eye and on the eyelid, and it's not caused any sort of reaction yet.

I'm a little wary of using the Wolfe ones too close to the eye, though - partly because I know the Snaz is fine there and I don't see the point in risking it, but also because the Wolfe stains a bit more and I wouldn't want to irritate Cian's skin whilst removing the stuff. Interestingly, there's even a warning with the Wolfe palette about using a couple of specific colours in the set (green and red, I think?) around the eyes.

Kammy x
Kammy

Number of posts : 1408
Registration date : 2012-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by shadowdrawing on Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:24 pm

My husband's lips went numb with DFX Black.
shadowdrawing

Number of posts : 201
Registration date : 2012-08-19

http://www.shadowdrawing.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Gisrus on Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:22 pm

vinnie wrote:Boys for some reason normally don't like anything around the eye, lol. For this one I mostly painted the top of the eye leaving under the eye a little messy, which I think adds to this design anyway. Smile and I painted the top of his lips.

Then there is this one. Girls love these types of designs because it's like makeup, lol.

Vinnie, your girl design is cute but I absolutely I love you your skeleton

sunny

Gisrus

Number of posts : 132
Registration date : 2010-07-26

http://www.facepainting-ireland.com

Back to top Go down

Post by victoriaclarke77 on Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:20 am

just i would kike to give 1 more suggestion.
1. The color of flesh. Once you have an accurate drawing, decide what color the flesh will be in the painting. Different artists use a different variety of colors. I suggest purchasing a good tutorial book that describes different ethnicity and colors for different flesh. A common cool light skin tone would be titanium white mixed with alizarin crimson with a touch of cadmium red. For a darker or warmer version of this you would add a touch of cadmium yellow medium. I have even added a touch of burnt umber to darken this skin tone. A common mixture for dark skinned people would be titanium white, burnt umber, cadmium red, and a touch of cadmium yellow medium. To darken the tone, add more brunt umber and cadmium red medium.

2. Painting the eyes. I like to start my portraits with the eyes. Every single time that you paint an eye make sure it contains these elements. overall shape, the upper and lower eye lid, the pupil, the sclera or white of the eye, the upper and lower lashes, the eyebrow, the corner membrane, and the catch-light or highlight. There are a lot of components of the eye and it is the most complicated facial feature to paint. If your painting is not to be too detailed, as in a very distant person, you can omit the eye lids the corner membrane and maybe even the lashes.

3. The lips. Lips can also make or break a portrait. To paint lips, first start with a drawing of them. Follow the facial proportion guidelines and outline the lips with a color you have gotten from the flesh tone but add a little more red or rose. Another good color for lips is a tiny bit of raw umber or crimson added to the flesh tone. Now fill in the lips with color. The upper lip will be darker than the lower lip. Be careful not to make the lips look too pink or red, unless the subject is wearing lipstick. Make sure to show a little highlight on the bottom lip. The more highlight you add, the more moist the lip will appear. Softly blend the bottom line of the bottom lip with the skin to make them look natural, there should be no hard line. Now add shadows directly above the top lip, and under the bottom lip and in the chin crease.

victoriaclarke77

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2012-07-03

http://michaelscoupons2012.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by Daizy on Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:38 am

victoriaclarke77 wrote:just i would kike to give 1 more suggestion.
1. The color of flesh. Once you have an accurate drawing, decide what color the flesh will be in the painting. Different artists use a different variety of colors. I suggest purchasing a good tutorial book that describes different ethnicity and colors for different flesh. A common cool light skin tone would be titanium white mixed with alizarin crimson with a touch of cadmium red. For a darker or warmer version of this you would add a touch of cadmium yellow medium. I have even added a touch of burnt umber to darken this skin tone. A common mixture for dark skinned people would be titanium white, burnt umber, cadmium red, and a touch of cadmium yellow medium. To darken the tone, add more brunt umber and cadmium red medium.

2. Painting the eyes. I like to start my portraits with the eyes. Every single time that you paint an eye make sure it contains these elements. overall shape, the upper and lower eye lid, the pupil, the sclera or white of the eye, the upper and lower lashes, the eyebrow, the corner membrane, and the catch-light or highlight. There are a lot of components of the eye and it is the most complicated facial feature to paint. If your painting is not to be too detailed, as in a very distant person, you can omit the eye lids the corner membrane and maybe even the lashes.

3. The lips. Lips can also make or break a portrait. To paint lips, first start with a drawing of them. Follow the facial proportion guidelines and outline the lips with a color you have gotten from the flesh tone but add a little more red or rose. Another good color for lips is a tiny bit of raw umber or crimson added to the flesh tone. Now fill in the lips with color. The upper lip will be darker than the lower lip. Be careful not to make the lips look too pink or red, unless the subject is wearing lipstick. Make sure to show a little highlight on the bottom lip. The more highlight you add, the more moist the lip will appear. Softly blend the bottom line of the bottom lip with the skin to make them look natural, there should be no hard line. Now add shadows directly above the top lip, and under the bottom lip and in the chin crease.

I'm not quite sure how this applies to painting on the face.... scratch
Daizy

Number of posts : 860
Registration date : 2010-09-02

http://www.daizydesign.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kammy on Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:04 am

Me neither, Daizy. I'm a bit confused, frankly....
Kammy

Number of posts : 1408
Registration date : 2012-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by daphne78 on Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:14 am

I think it's also a bit strange, but....
on the other hand, when I'm painting eyes on my eyelids I can use the tips about painting eyes.

But still these tips are more for portrait painting (canvas) then face or bodypainting I think.
And they have nothing to do with the subject of this topic...
daphne78

Number of posts : 341
Registration date : 2012-08-22

http://daphneschminkt.webklik.nl

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top