Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

I need help with training my helpers???

View previous topic View next topic Go down

I need help with training my helpers???

Post by Lady Jayde on Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:19 pm

Hiya,
Okay, silly request #1,239:

I have been "given" 2 youth volunteers from my church to train for the Halloween Kidsfest. I have already assembled the mini kits for the event and I've been beating it into the powers that be the importance of room size, and crowd control. I received an email a couple of days ago informing me that they are setting up training sessions for my helpers on Fridays from now until Oct. 30th. Not a problem really, because I have to be up at the church anyway because my daughter is in the Christmas play.

So far, I've decided not to have them practice out of the kits I've assembled because, 1) If they mess it up, I'll be reassembling it, and 2) if they decide to flake, we will be out a kit on the day we need it. So I bought 2 8-color snaz kits and a few brushes (yes, on the church's dime) for the practice sessions. I'm intending to give them each a kit, 3 brushes, a practice pad (not proface, but close enough) and something that resembles instruction.

The problem is, I don't know exactly how to go about the training. I've come up with a make shift syllabus, but I don't want to miss anything. Could you guys look over my intended teach topics as advise me on how to go about it? I'm going to have roughly 1-1.5 hours per session to train.

1. Hygiene (cleaning brushes, water appearance, sanitizer usage, ect.)
2. How to use water activated paints
3. Basic Brush Strokes (Tear drops and such)
4. The best brush (like I'd really know... I bring a lot of brushes but only use like 3 of them).
5. Simple Cheek art
6. Sponging techniques
7. Fast full face & 3/4 face designs using sponges and brushes.

I feel like I'm leaving something out and I want to make sure that my helpers are competent enough to handle the long line of kids without having to pull me away from working.

Also, anybody have an idea of some good, easy to paint easy faces I could give them to practice at home? I'm leaving the designs up to them (for the most part) but I would like to have them versed in some easy things in case the line is impossible.

Thanks in advance!
Lady Jayde

Number of posts : 1844
Registration date : 2009-08-10

http://www.imaginastic-facepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Re: I need help with training my helpers???

Post by Guest on Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:37 pm

For beginners just give them one brush... don't go into the different things. Pick a good all purpose one.

When I teach beginners they get the Snaz Rainbow palette, one good brush (the gold handled Snaz round which is pretty decent) a couple (meaning one cut in half) GOOD sponges, and a copy of my book...

Start with sponging... get the base down. Then the brushwork. Keep it really basic.

I usually do 3 hour to full day workshops and demo a white base design (dalmatian), a two colour base design (tiger), a multiple colour (sunset) and then something like a mouth dino or shark - something fun and easy.

If you are going to have a display out - concentrate on ONLY those designs. You want them to be able to paint THOSE. If they turn out to be creative - good - but get the designs down that you are going to be painting.

Actually - I would recommend having a display of the designs that can be painted. When I work with assistants they pick what they are comfortable with or like to paint, and I get everyone else!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Jayde on Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:50 pm

So, should I ask for a few 'models' that are always running around the church creating havoc as well? Would it be easier for them if I gave them live faces to practice on?

thanks so much Shannon, I'm so glad I thought to come here instead of going it alone, your way sounds so much more stress free!
Lady Jayde

Number of posts : 1844
Registration date : 2009-08-10

http://www.imaginastic-facepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosenberg-Cox on Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:57 pm

Live models to practice on would be a plus. The helpers may feel comfortable with the knowledge after training but working with a time pressure and kids who don't sit still for long tends to change a lot.
Rosenberg-Cox

Number of posts : 236
Registration date : 2009-08-27

http://www.facepainting.coxmanor.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:53 pm

I always have live models - my students bring their own and so do I. It is really so much easier for people who have never painted before to do it on a person.

Definitely come up with a selection of designs in advance and only work on those - then use the same designs at the event.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top