Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

To Laminate or Not to Laminate

View previous topic View next topic Go down

To Laminate or Not to Laminate

Post by Kris5115 on Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:38 pm

I'm in the process of updating my display (again - it's a work in progress) and I really like how it is turning out so far. I'm at the point of putting pictures on it and I am trying to decide if I should laminate them or not. I like the idea of laminating the photos so they are waterproof but I don't have a laminator so I would have to buy one and the sleeves for the photos. Without lamination my cost per photo (printing photo and adding velcro to back) is $.25 each. And I like to update my photos and/or change them for various events. If I laminate them, the cost per photo goes up quite a bit (since I have the initial investment of a laminator to figure in too). For that price, I could just replace all the photos (or whichever get damaged if they get wet) several times over before recovering the cost of the laminator and sleeves. I've also considered velcroing a clear shower curtain (cut to fit) over the display but I'm not sure if the sticky tape side of the velcro would stick to the shower curtain. (Anyone know?)

How do you protect your displays? Am I better off right now just attaching the photos and replacing them as they get damaged (or I get better images)? For those with laminators, how much does it cost to laminate a 4x6 photo?

Here is a picture of me with the display (so far) and a 4x6 picture attached:

[img][/img]
Kris5115

Number of posts : 734
Registration date : 2012-04-10

Back to top Go down

Re: To Laminate or Not to Laminate

Post by artyfacesbyluz on Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:52 pm

OMG , is that display so huge or are you a small person?? how can a child look up so high to pick a picture? you will find out that your most request designs will be the ones in the middle.
I have a laminate board and I regret it, I had a weekly gig where the menu was different every time (premier movies) and the best option was the plastic photo covers, I use the ones they sell for baseball cards, but you can use the 4x6" .
artyfacesbyluz

Number of posts : 953
Registration date : 2011-02-22

http://www.artyfacesbyluz.com

Back to top Go down

Post by alezmata on Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:02 pm

I have a laminator and love it. You can laminate several photos in the large sheets and trim to fit. I print my photos on regular paper and laminating enhances the colors.
alezmata

Number of posts : 59
Registration date : 2011-08-26

Back to top Go down

Post by rthling on Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:04 pm

I use clear shelf paper to laminate my photos. Cheap and cheap. Haha!
rthling

Number of posts : 1829
Registration date : 2010-10-05

http://www.fancyfacesbydiane.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris5115 on Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:12 pm

The display is pretty big but the angles are really funny (my mom took the picture and I think she was sitting rather low down) and it looks more massive than it is. I plan to arrange the photos so that the ones I want the kids to pick most are in the middle (and the ones that I want to be less popular near the top or bottom). I could also put a banner with contact info or painting times at the top.

I also didn't glue the PVC together (just zip-tied together) so I could use just half of the display (single panel or double panel) depending on the venue.
Kris5115

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris5115 on Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:14 pm

Or I could have 2 price points (top = price A, bottom = price B)
Kris5115

Back to top Go down

Post by sweethavenarts on Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:59 pm

Also think about what else you can use your laminator for? I've got three kids, two in school, and my laminator gets used SO MUCH!! You can also find some for seriously around 20 dollars.
I'm the office supply enabler. GET A LAMINATOR!!
My display is going to look like yours. When I get it done. *sigh*
sweethavenarts

Number of posts : 343
Registration date : 2011-06-20

http://www.sweethavenarts.com

Back to top Go down

Post by billiebcc on Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:57 pm

Laminator!

I have this one and I love love love love love love love it!
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Scotch-Thermal-Laminator-2-Roller/17208765

I also use snapfish soooo much. Their coupon codes rock!
Right now they have 99 prints for 99cents...really how can you beat that?
billiebcc

Number of posts : 506
Registration date : 2011-11-05

http://www.angelwingsbodyart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:06 pm

Laminator is under $100. Worth every penny.

I do my photos 9 or 16 to a letter size sheet, and laminate that. My signs are all laminated, name tags are laminated.

I can do custom design sheets and laminate them and used them over and over.

I print my photos on bond paper NOT photo paper with my colour printer.

Back to top Go down

Post by a face painting mom on Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:51 am

Is bond paper like card stock Shannon?
a face painting mom

Number of posts : 1913
Registration date : 2011-07-13

http://www.afacepaintingmom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by zeebee on Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:07 am

I think I may invest in a laminator, thanks guys!
zeebee

Number of posts : 169
Registration date : 2010-05-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Bee Happy Design on Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:13 am

I've seen self-laminating sheets at various stores too. Though they might be more expensive in the long run and I've not used them so maybe they aren't as good?

I'm also trying to talk my hubby into making me a similar display board frame Smile although I think mine would be half that size to start. Laughing Looking forward to seeing your finished product Very Happy
Bee Happy Design

Number of posts : 289
Registration date : 2011-08-15

http://www.beehappyfaces.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Luvs to paint on Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:48 am

I buy laminating sheets at walmart and use my IRON without steam. place a piece of plain paper over the plastic and hold the iron over it for a few seconds -- not too long or it will shrivel if you've got the iron too hot. you can always check to see if it has bonded together. using my iron is much cheaper than buying a laminator.
Luvs to paint

Number of posts : 726
Registration date : 2011-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris5115 on Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:35 am

I decided to go ahead and start using the display without laminated pictures but I also think that laminating them is the way to go and I will look into getting a laminator (maybe even for Christmas). Then I'll start laminating the photos. Maybe I can use the iron idea until then too. Looks like a trip to Wal-Mart is in my future.

Here is how it looks today (I plan to use a yard stick and line up the photos better but for now, I was just working on their order and how many to use):

[img][/img]
Kris5115

Back to top Go down

Post by debranewmanart on Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:55 am

If you are careful with it, you can use clear packing tape to cover your photos. I did and they look fine. If you look at them very closely you can see where I overlapped the tape 1/8 of an inch, but most don't notice. It's really easy and cheap!

debranewmanart

Number of posts : 615
Registration date : 2011-06-26

http://www.facebook.com/debranewmanart

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris5115 on Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:59 am

Oooh I like the packing tape idea. I already have packing tape. I've also thought maybe I could use a clear shower curtain to go over the whole thing. But I haven't thought of a way to use the shower curtain and have it still look neat and be able to easily change out the photos.
Kris5115

Back to top Go down

Post by vegas mom on Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:35 pm

Kris do you have a teachers learning store near by? I have gotten a couple of things laminated for pennies. I used Lakeshore learning store and they have a self laminating machine. As I mentioned on another thread its only 30 cents per linear foot. I just did my stencil display. What are you using for your background with all the grommets?
vegas mom

Number of posts : 778
Registration date : 2011-11-06

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Magic-Wand-Face-Painting-and-Glit

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris5115 on Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:43 pm

I'll have to look into the teachers learning store option. I have no idea if there is one around here.

The background was a 6x8 indoor/outdoor carpet mat that I picked up for $9.99 at Menard's and cut into 2 3x3 foot squares. The male part of the Velcro tape sticks to it perfectly.
Kris5115

Back to top Go down

Post by vegas mom on Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:45 pm

Very Happy
vegas mom

Number of posts : 778
Registration date : 2011-11-06

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Magic-Wand-Face-Painting-and-Glit

Back to top Go down

Post by PaintedFaces on Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:54 pm

Laminator! All the way. I've found it less expensive because I can print my pictures on ordinary printer paper and laminate them and they are waterproof, professional looking, way less likely to get dogeared and the colours come up lovely and bright! Why? I have no idea, but it was a lovely surprise the first time I ran out of photo paper.

I can fit 3x 4x6" pictures onto one laminating pouch. Next time, I'm thinking of making them smaller, getting four in a pouch and having room for more pics on my board.

I use one of those fabric covered pin boards and stick velcro dots on the back of my laminated photographs. I can change up my board as often as I like that way.
PaintedFaces

Number of posts : 465
Registration date : 2012-06-29

http://www.paintedfaces.co.nz

Back to top Go down

Post by Luvs to paint on Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:56 pm

LAMINATE.... and I usually do, but at the last festival silly (ie., STUPID) me, decided to put some new photos in a clear plastic hanging photo sleeve organizer. I put a little piece of tape at the top of each sleeve to keep them secure (but not waterproof). The first day we had wild sudden wind and thunderstorm, we all had to grab and hold the tent legs down, pray we wouldn't get hit by lightening, got soaking wet and each and every photo sleeve filled up with water. I had to hold the display upside down and let the water drain, lol. it ruined every photo not laminated. UGGGGG!
Luvs to paint

Number of posts : 726
Registration date : 2011-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top