Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

The absolute BEST day ever! Long diatribe...

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The absolute BEST day ever! Long diatribe...

Post by Lady Jayde on Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:22 pm

Today I had the Pumpkin Festival at the Elementary school down the street. If you remember, I was dreading the event because of the way the PTA mom's treated me a few years ago. Well, I arrived this morning and they had a separate table all for me set up next to the other face painting table and they even offered to help me to get set up (somebody brought me a plastic cup of water and offered me some brushes...go figure!).

So, I get set up and start painting...the first thing...a butterfly...great...right off the bat...my day was set from that point on. Neon butterflies, Metina, that DFX rainbow I bought here got a workout today! I didn't dare look up to see what was going on with the lines, but my son kept giving me periodic reports. According to him, people were migrating from the other queue after they saw what I was turning out (yay!) and my line was the longest. I was calm and collected but I did get a little unnerved when he came and told me that my line was out the door! But I kept on trekking and I was basking in the glow of appreciation from both the kids and the parents. My daughter took it upon herself to put out a bunch of business cards after one of the parents asked her if I had one. I gave out about 25 or 30 of them and I was asked umteen times if I did birthday parties. (double yay!).

One of the dad's that was standing by watching me asked me how long it took to paint each child, smart man was doing math to determine whether he should let his kids get in line an hour before the festival ended...I appreciated that. He then told his kids that they'd probably not be able to get painted and walked away. Then a few minutes later, I hear someone saying, "dude, you've got to see what she's paintin', it's awesome!", when I looked up, there was the dad again, this time he was with a friend and they were gawkin' big time! So then the dad asks if I did parties...he knew I did, he'd read my card, I told him I did. Then he asked me, "I mean do you do parties like today?" So I asked if he meant a party with 200 kids. He said "no, I mean like at 4 o'clock today. I told him that I could come over after I finished the festival and cleaned up my brushes and sponges. So he asked my rates, said "really? Cool!" and went off to get a pen to give me his information! I figured he'd be like the plethora of price check phone calls I've been receiving lately, but he did come back! With his address and phone number, even tried to pay me there, but his friend told him to hold off until he could figure out how long of a party it was going to be and that he didn't think that an hour was going to cut it!

So, I rush home after the festival, I stayed an extra 30 minutes to finish the 5 or 6 kids just because I was riding the wave of appreciation. At home, I washed my brushes and sponges, I put my sponges in some boiling water in a container to further sterilize them and wiped down my paints and I was off again!

I got to the party and they guys were waiting for me on the curb! The carried all of my stuff in, tried to get me to eat first and kept the kids away from me while I set up. I did the daughter and son of the guy who first entreated me for the gig and he was over the moon...I thought he was going to pee his pants. I should add that as soon as I got in the house he told me that they were going to pay me for my time and that he wanted me to go all out on all of the faces! Music to my ears! I painted about 8 kids and 3 adults (including the birthday boy's dad and this very handsome guy who wanted a tribal design around his eye). I had so much fun and there was so much goofing off between faces that I was considering only billing him for an hour, but the dad told me that he was paying me for 2 hours and he wasn't going to penalize me just because his family was a bunch of goof offs! The tribal design was my first and I had the dad from the festival 'advise' me (he wanted me to use pink, but I got him around to my way of thinking, lol).
The guy I did the tribal on was so happy that he kept going to the bathroom to look at it and he told me that if her weren't married, he'd be getting my design inked on his face! Wow!

After I painted the last kid, the dad comes downstairs with this huge plate of food and a glass of ice water and orders me to eat something. So I spent another 30 minutes watching the football game and chatting with the dads and being heaped with praise and promises. The dad of the birthday boy has promised to email me copies of the pictures he took (he took a heck of a lot of pictures!) AND asked if he could scan my business card and include it at the bottom of the birthday party email he was going to send to his work colleagues! Can you say heck yeah!??? I gave out 15 cards just at that party! And I have 2 possible gigs coming from that! They paid me for the 2 hours AND I got a $10 tip about 3/4 of the way through and nobody balked at the price!

I am riding so high right now I don't know what to do! The kids faces lit up with every face I did today but the parents were the high point. I tell you, when you are showered with appreciation, it hardly seems to matter that you haven't eaten anything solid in 6 hours nor had a drop of water to drink in just as long! I am so energized right now I don't know what to do!

I just wanted to share my awesome experience and I hope that everybody had a day just as awesome as mine was!
cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers
Lady Jayde

Number of posts : 1844
Registration date : 2009-08-10

http://www.imaginastic-facepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Re: The absolute BEST day ever! Long diatribe...

Post by Guest on Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:32 pm

Well.... well????? About that confidence issue... what have you got to say now????????? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm???

Back to top Go down

Post by moonprints on Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:47 pm

that is awesome!! Smile

You'll have to let us know what other gigs come from that awesome spontaneous booking! go you!
moonprints

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2009-10-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Jayde on Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:54 pm

...confidence issue? what confidence issue? Why Shannon, I have no idea what' you're talking about! Shocked

I know, I know! I feel like kicking my own butt for having issues, but I'm feeling to good to do it now! I really need to thank everybody here who'd put up with me and still told me that I can do this! I'm going to have myself a beer now...because I feel I've earned it! Is this how you guys feel every time? Or do you old salts get used to it? I can't imagine what it's like to be YOU Shannon, but I know that it feels good to be me right now.

Okay, I'm being obnoxious...I'll leave now. Embarassed
Lady Jayde

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:24 pm

Well... obviously it feels pretty good to be YOU right now!

It's still fun when things go great, the kids are happy, the parents are impressed and the client tips!!!

My salty butt gets excited 'bout bein' in the paper ... reporter is coming over Monday to interview and take photos... again

Back to top Go down

Post by Metina on Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:33 pm

Good for you. I am so happy you are happy. My job went really well today too. Painted for about three hours straight and my client kept telling me to take a break. Finally about 30 minutes before the job is to end she says, "We are done!" and slapped a $50 bill in my hand as a tip. I WAS floored. They were so pleased and the paper was there taking photos and my business card. I can't wait to see if I am in there again.

Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy. Remember you make your destiny. If you think it, you will be it.

Shipping from $3.99
Washington DC Metro--But Serving the World!
Metina
Admin

Number of posts : 3708
Registration date : 2008-09-04

http://www.facepaintforumshop.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Metzpah on Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:01 am

Huzzah!!! awesome job, awesome story! thanks for sharing Smile
Metzpah

Number of posts : 1105
Registration date : 2008-09-26

http://www.flickr.com/photos/metzpah/sets/72157608680393072/

Back to top Go down

Post by reneec808 on Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:15 am

Hooray cheers Good for you...and lucky for those kids that you painted...you'll probably close your eyes and see the smiles on those kids faces for days... sunny
reneec808

Number of posts : 188
Registration date : 2009-05-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Heather Timmons on Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:17 am

There is nothing quite the same as having an awesome day! Grats and keep riding the high as long as you can! Very Happy
Heather Timmons

Number of posts : 786
Registration date : 2008-09-28

http://www.catsmeowinfo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Magic on Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:25 am

So awesome, congrats-I love when the kids say "you know your really good at this you're like an artist"- I have a big private party tomorrow 50 kids -I hope I have a great day too!
Magic

Number of posts : 556
Registration date : 2008-10-01

http://www.makingfacesparties.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Just Jenny on Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:19 am

Congratulations! Now that is what I call a great day. Wishing you many many more. You Rock!

Jenny

Just Jenny

Number of posts : 465
Registration date : 2008-10-16

http://www.JustJennyFaceArt.Com

Back to top Go down

Post by Criss on Sun Oct 11, 2009 2:05 am

Knew you had it in you Wink Keep it up!!!!!! Glad to hear you had such a fantastic day, certainly makes it worth while doesn't it?
Criss

Number of posts : 906
Registration date : 2009-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Judy on Sun Oct 11, 2009 2:52 am

Kudos (spelling??) to you!! Remember this feeling and replay it over and over in your head!
Judy

Number of posts : 335
Registration date : 2009-08-01

http://www.facefx.info

Back to top Go down

Post by Kristal on Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:08 am

Congratulations! That's absolutely fabtastic! See? Knew you could do it.

...today was a good day for parties, eh? I had a 3 hour birthday where everyone was raving ("those balloons are ridiculous!!") (funny, because really, everyone was either a tiger or had a dolphin jumping in a rainbow...very imaginative. Ha.), and after the grandpa settled the bill with me, I was finished about 10 minutes early and the birthday girl's parents gave me a $60 tip...what a day!

(show us some of those photos!)
Kristal

Number of posts : 1587
Registration date : 2009-03-10

http://www.faceaballoonza.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Jayde on Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:41 am

I'm so glad everybody else got to 'ride the wave' too! You can bet your sweet petunias I'll have some pictures up here as soon as I get them!
Lady Jayde

Back to top Go down

Post by aprilmoonflower on Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:28 am

Congratulations!!!! This is so awesome and I'm so happy to hear about this! Also I am glad NOW you really know how awesome you are! Very Happy
aprilmoonflower

Number of posts : 713
Registration date : 2009-08-28

Back to top Go down

Post by glendaoneill on Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:21 pm

What a great day!!!!! Really glad to hear how good it went Very Happy

Glenda
glendaoneill

Number of posts : 409
Registration date : 2009-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by JBax on Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:19 pm

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The boot to the butt didn't feel so bad, did it? Very Happy
JBax

Number of posts : 1890
Registration date : 2009-08-30

http://www.eyecandyarts.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by AngieAnders on Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:37 pm

I am SOOOOO happy for you!! And I'm glad that confidence issue is out of the way. It never gets old, being appreciated! And it never ceases to thrill, having people in awe. Soak it up!! Very Happy
AngieAnders

Number of posts : 1849
Registration date : 2008-09-22

http://www.facesalive.com

Back to top Go down

Post by funfacesforu on Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:43 pm

Congratulations. Hope you many more days like that.
funfacesforu

Number of posts : 136
Registration date : 2008-12-05

Back to top Go down

Post by WyndyO on Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:56 pm

Now you must run your mouse over all of us who responded to your "amazing day" post and pass on these good vibes to all of us here!!!! Thanks for sharing and giving us all hope!!!
WyndyO

Number of posts : 779
Registration date : 2008-11-11

http://www.wowfactorypaint.com

Back to top Go down

Post by colormyworld on Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:38 pm

Congratulations! You deserve the praise...you've worked hard to get there, now BASK!
colormyworld

Number of posts : 290
Registration date : 2009-06-23

http://www.sporktacularcreations.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top