Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

How do you display your painting?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

How do you display your painting?

Post by Facepainting by Tina on Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:20 pm

I am just beginning and was curious how everyone displays their face painting techniques/abilities? The first few times I painted I had the generic boy/girl faces and drew designs on them and put that on a board. This time around, I have enough photos of actual people I have painted to use actual photos. However I am wondering if that is the way to go, after looking at Denise Cold's boards. I bought the exact same black foam core boards already and was going to display the photos on them, but wondering now if I should just paint on the boards like Denise did (looks so awesome)?? Or if I should paint on the board, and include an actual photo.

I also am having an issue setting my pricing. I'm going to be going a little on the "low" side of things since I'm still rather new at it. I have about 30 designs I am comfortable doing, but I am not quick at them yet (spend maybe 10 minutes on a full face design). As far as pricing goes, there are cheek designs, one eye, masks, and full face right? Can I combine some? I was thinking of doing $2 for cheek, $4 for one eye, $5 for masks, and $7 for full face. I'm worried too many people will go for the cheek designs and wondered if I should just have one price for one eye/mask together...since really they're almost as much paint and time for both??

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Also....do any of you offer free gifts to the kids to go with the face painting? I was throwing around the idea of making some sort of headband for the girls with curling ribbon to match their face?
Facepainting by Tina

Number of posts : 447
Registration date : 2012-09-12

http://www.tinassugarshack.com

Back to top Go down

Re: How do you display your painting?

Post by miss D on Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:18 pm

Khalstead wrote:I am just beginning and was curious how everyone displays their face painting techniques/abilities? The first few times I painted I had the generic boy/girl faces and drew designs on them and put that on a board. This time around, I have enough photos of actual people I have painted to use actual photos. However I am wondering if that is the way to go, after looking at Denise Cold's boards. I bought the exact same black foam core boards already and was going to display the photos on them, but wondering now if I should just paint on the boards like Denise did (looks so awesome)?? Or if I should paint on the board, and include an actual photo.

I also am having an issue setting my pricing. I'm going to be going a little on the "low" side of things since I'm still rather new at it. I have about 30 designs I am comfortable doing, but I am not quick at them yet (spend maybe 10 minutes on a full face design). As far as pricing goes, there are cheek designs, one eye, masks, and full face right? Can I combine some? I was thinking of doing $2 for cheek, $4 for one eye, $5 for masks, and $7 for full face. I'm worried too many people will go for the cheek designs and wondered if I should just have one price for one eye/mask together...since really they're almost as much paint and time for both??

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Also....do any of you offer free gifts to the kids to go with the face painting? I was throwing around the idea of making some sort of headband for the girls with curling ribbon to match their face?

Hi! I'm new also so I don't know how good my advice will be but I can only share my experience Smile I'm from Victoria, Australia so I don't know if things will be different where you're from but here is what I do - $5 for cheeks, $8 for masks and $10 for full face. Like yourself, I'm still not very fast at full faces so after a birthday party (which was by hourly rate) I decided to cut out full faces from all events until I can get faster at them. I can do a very quick cheek art for $5 so it doesn't make sense to spend alot of time on a full face for $10, when in the same time I could probably do 3 cheeks and make $15. I personally think your prices will be too low but it is entirely up to you and your prices have to be suited to your local area. Be confident in yourself and what you can do and remember the average person is not artistic & creative so anything you do will be a big wow to them. Can you check out prices of other facepainters in your area?
As for how to display your work if you can paint really well on a flat surface I would go with Denises set up if that's the way you want to go, I think this only works if u can paint well on that type of surface. For myself, my work looks better and more appealing In a photo so that's how I display my work. Just choose whatever show off your work best.
Like I said I am also new so I don't know how helpful my advice is but I do hope it helps you. Good luck! Very Happy
miss D

Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2012-08-17

Back to top Go down

Post by aholly on Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:55 pm

I'm also brand new and launching out there, my current theory is that for me a full face is too much time/ paint for the results and a mask/ half face is quicker, cheaper (for the parent) and looks just as good! also there is less smudging which always happens around the mouth with children!! I agree with Miss D about your pricing - im in NZ and i'm charging $3 for eye/ cheek designs and $5 for a mask...that's it, i'm only offering those options. Save the full faces for costume/ kids parties where you have more time? I don't offer free gifts as the face painting is special enough in my opinion!!!
aholly

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2012-07-08

http://www.facebook.com/StarletsFacepainting

Back to top Go down

Post by Facepainting by Tina on Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:48 pm

Thanks so much for the replies, I'm going to take your advice and get rid of the full face designs. At the gigs I have done so far (several were free for our church) and a few were for money, but it was for a fund raiser so I donated my time and materials..but they raised $3,000 in 2 days of me painting (long days : ( ...they were dealing in tickets (1 ticket was $.50) and I was charging 3 tickets for a cheek design and 6 tickets for butterfly masks (most popular) and things like an indian with a headband and feathers. I know I didn't paint a thousand people...so I know people were paying me more than I was asking...but again, I didn't get to keep any of it. There were many people that claimed to have paid $10 for a butterfly at a local amusement park and they felt mine was better quality..so they were sticking more tickets in the bucket.

Anyhow...I'm thinking of doing $3 cheek design and $5 for a mask...are the one eye designs considered the same as a mask?? I figure they take the same amount of paint and time (seems so anyhow) I can paint a mask in about 5-7 minutes (butterflies I can do in about 3-4...I find those incredibly simple and once you've done 100 in a row it gets pretty fast lol) Oh and I did check and can't find any face painters in a 50 mile radius of me : ( Closest is Cleveland, Ohio and not sure I can go by them because they charge $10/slice for wedding cake and I charge $2.50/slice (I'm a cake decorator too). People here think I'm the "expensive cake lady" lol Cleveland prices are $10 for masks...so I'm thinking $5 will be a good place to start. We will see how it goes..it's in 2 weeks.
Facepainting by Tina

Back to top Go down

Post by PaintedFaces on Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:08 pm

At PPF, you could upsell to headbands or hair flowers or anything like that, but I wouldn't offer them free, especially not at those prices! You'll be making a loss. You could do the headband or something for free for the birthday girl when you start booking parties. I do extra special bling for the birthday child only, it takes too long to do it on everyone and it's a nice extra touch for them.

I think 1-eye and cheek should be the same price. some cheek art takes longer than full faces. charge your full face price for a mask. seems that true full faces are getting less popular anyway, mostly due to the smudging and food issues you've already mentioned.

Good luck!
PaintedFaces

Number of posts : 465
Registration date : 2012-06-29

http://www.paintedfaces.co.nz

Back to top Go down

Post by Denise Cold on Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:00 am

My theory on pricing is that you should be able to make rate+ or you shouldn't be doing PPF. There are too many other expenses (tent, tables, chairs, food, etc.) that if you aren't making your rate then you are wasting time. You could be marketing your business in other ways like looking for corporate gigs.

So, if you are in a cheap area and your rate is $50.00 per hour you should be charging about .83 cents a minute (count the whole thing...chair, consult, mirror, out of chair.)

You don't have to do cheek, half, full. I make more money off of eye designs because they only take 3 minutes total and I can charge $5.00. It's seen more as a extreme makeup so girls love it. I would suggest having a mix of quick designs and masks on your board and then charging the same $5.00 price. It about evens out with small designs and larger ones...but the beauty is THEY HAVE THE CHOICE! Some boys would rather have a 2 minute dragon instead of spiderman...LOVE IT! EMBRACE IT! cheers

As far as $3.00 designs, MAKE THEM ASK YOU for a "little something" on a cheek for $3.00 and then you are doing them a favor and you get to decide if you'll do it. Re-read my epiphany post because I went through the same thing as you are doing right now.

As far as headbands are concerned: No freebies...time is money...even putting a freebie on a child (let's say it takes an extra minute to choose the color and place the freebie and then show them in the mirror) that will cost you about $8 per hour in TIME plus the extra expense. Now you've made $16 less per hour for face painting and your are automatically back down to $34 per hour!

I got wrapped up in the "experience" of face painting too until I realized that I was getting frustrated because I wasn't making enough money and people were getting frustrated because they are waiting too long. Save the experience stuff for parties...if you have the ability to make cool hairbands, offer that as a service at birthday parties for the birthday girl or as an add-on for $25.00 for all of the guests.

I'm going to beat you with hair tinsel for donating your time AND the money. $3,000??? I've never even made that for two whole days of PPF! Would you have even donated that if you had the cash??? I hope they had a line manager for you handing out business cards and making people promise they would hire you for every party they ever held....AGAIN...EVER! Unless a charity is near and dear you should be donating back a percentage like 20% or 30% just like every other parishioner. Do you think average Joe Schmoe donated 100% of his income for two 12 hour days? Smile and even if he did it would be about a $1300 donation.

The beating is over. Make sure that you value yourself or you'll be the most popular person invited to every free event known to man (because you're obviously a very nice person.) Have a charity policy and stick with it.

BTW...I used to be a cake decorator too. You'll love henna. Smile

Denise Cold

Number of posts : 2717
Registration date : 2011-04-06

http://www.denisecold.com

Back to top Go down

Post by tigerlillyjessie on Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:17 am

Hi everyone,
I really love this post, thanks Khalstead! I am going through a similar thing. I got my first steady gig at some high-class markets, which I am stoked about, but at the first market last month I did what you recommended Denise and just charged a flat $5. Looking back it was good that I did, because the change was easy and I could get my name out there by doing some cool full-face tigers and such, but for the next market I am going to leave my price the same but remove all full faces and too-complicated things from the board too speed myself up. I still feel so slow! Especially when there's that intimidating blur of parents and kids waiting in my peripheral vision lol.

I also put real photos of kids (and my husband and I) on my board, I haven't found the board that denise uses in Australia and I don't think I can paint good enough to do that yet, but I do want to take better photos with all black backgrounds so it looks more professional - like Daizy Designs Very Happy I'll post a photo of my setup in a minute.
tigerlillyjessie

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2012-01-19

http://www.enchantedbrushes.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post by tigerlillyjessie on Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:45 am

I am only starting out so I still have a long way to go! My bigger set up is shown in the first photo then in the second is the same thing but with a smaller table. Also - does anyone know where you can get a fatmax in Australia? Thanks!

tigerlillyjessie

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2012-01-19

http://www.enchantedbrushes.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post by Facepainting by Tina on Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:38 am

Love your set up Tiger (love the look of a black tablecloth...makes it seem so upscale! Denise, thanks for the beating (I needed that)....the $3,000 donation was for my kids school (they were raising money so they didn't have to raise tuition...which I'm grateful for, because I have 4 kids at around $200/month in tuition as is) all parents are supposed to volunteer, and each of us used our talents as we saw fit. I am an owner/operator of a home-based bakery as well...so in years past, I killed myself up all night for a week before baking all kinds of cakes,cookies,etc. I thought with face painting, I could at least sleep the preceeding week. This year I am doing it for them again, and I have wedding cakes AND the face painting to contend with UGH (I think I have a death wish).

I have eliminated all full faces...and I agree with you that the masks may as well be a full face. I am toying with the idea of $5/each for any design....but feel like some of the bigger masks (like blowing cherry tree, dinosaur ,etc. seem like I could upsell to $7? I don't know...it's my first REAL gig, so maybe I will make it a flat $5 and see how crammed and rediculous it gets. My husband is selling "sandy candy" (edible candy sand art) at the same booth as me...I have a feeling things are going to get insane!! lol
Facepainting by Tina

Back to top Go down

Post by Perry Noia on Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:25 pm

Below are my sample boards, they are waterproof banners from VistaPrint. I change them once a year or so when they go on sale really cheap and I feel like changing my signs. As the disclaimer at the bottom states, prices are based on TIME and COMPLEXITY and NOT on size... cheek art takes forever compared to some of the most popular full faces and I could put out 3 Spider-Man faces in the time of 1 cheek art monkey. Don't give away your work or your products... everything costs money and your time and energy IS valuable. How much in materials and work time would you be spending on making these giveaways?

For birthday parties, I have little colouring books (with drawings of me and all of my contact info) to send home with all of the kids as well as a little 3 pack of crayons. At pay per face stuff, you get what you pay for and that is that, NEXT!!!!

Last edited by Perry Noia on Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:26 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : forgot to add the pictures)
Perry Noia

Number of posts : 3523
Registration date : 2008-12-12

http://www.perrynoia.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Facepainting by Tina on Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:57 pm

Awesome Perry! Care if I use that statement?? I like it!
Facepainting by Tina

Back to top Go down

Post by Perry Noia on Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:28 pm

You can use anything of mine except the pictures of my children Wink
Perry Noia

Number of posts : 3523
Registration date : 2008-12-12

http://www.perrynoia.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Ms d on Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:14 pm

This is my first post but I find your ideas stimulating. I have tried many ways to display and currently I am using a baseball card frame display that I happened upon at Joann's. It holds 12 baseball size cards and I change out pictures. It is approximately 11 X 14 and I bought an easel to put it on. I also bought another one and put my stencils in it to display for glitter tattoos. What I like about it is I can change out pictures and stencils to what I am offering that day. I also like the mobility of it as they are not heavy or bulky to carry around. I don't have a picture of them to share but hope you get the idea.

I do three charity events a year and that is it! Everyone wants a facepainter for free. If I don't have any feedback from the event, I will do a different one the next year. It is a good way to get experience, exposure and hand out cards but it is using up your product, time and wear and tear on your equipment and your body! It is a good feeling after it is done but does not help pay your expenses so you must limit your charity gigs.

Trial and error - find what works for you. Happy Painting!
Ms d

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2011-03-13

http://designsbymsd.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:44 pm

I use different displays depending on the event type, the numbers etc.

My displays are shown on this link http://shannonfennell.wordpress.com/whats-in-my-face-painting-kit/

And this is what I have been doing lately

http://www.facebook.com/shannonfennell.faceart?sk=wall#!/photo.php?fbid=432193700126846&set=t.100002668803712&type=3&theater

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top