Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

How New is a Newbie? :-D

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: How New is a Newbie? :-D

Post by Perry Noia on Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:37 pm

The Usborne book is a good beginner book for full faces. I personally hate the klutz book... useless cheek art crap. You'll outgrow the Usborne book quickly though, it really is just for beginners. If you can find it at the library to borrow instead of buying it, do that.

The more useful books that I have are Marcela's "Fairy Princesses" and "Eye Designs" books. Other than that, look at the Snazaroo USA's photo pages for ideas. But I've never found step by steps to be useful for me at all... show me a finished product and I'll figure it out.
Perry Noia

Number of posts : 3523
Registration date : 2008-12-12

http://www.perrynoia.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Kammy on Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:10 am

I got the Klutz book mainly for the palette, as it was on sale and made the whole thing cheaper than buying the Wolfe appetiser set!

I agree that it's very, very basic. My little boy likes looking through it, though, and I can see why it's popular with painting mamas because it encourages them to jump straight in and have a go. Smile

I've had my eye on the books you mention, though I was hoping to get Shannon's "Your Face or Mine" first, as that looks excellent.

I really should get my botty over to the library...
Kammy

Number of posts : 1408
Registration date : 2012-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Rebons on Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:55 pm

I just bought the Wolfe bros Extreme Face Painting book on Amazon... New copy for $10 including shipping. I'm so excited! I'm with you Kammy on fabatv, so wish they had a cheaper option.
Rebons

Number of posts : 327
Registration date : 2012-08-14

Http://happypaintedfaces.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SimoneDC on Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:52 pm

I'm an obsessed newbie Smile I first picked up a paintbrush and a Snaz party kit from the art store in mid-July this year and have been practising almost every day since then! YouTube has been my best friend, and this fantastic Forum has been a wonderful source of inspiration and information. I haven't bought any books. Yet. But that may change!!

For me, painting every day has helped tremendously. Also I had to get in a lot of practice within the first week of picking up face painting because I had naively volunteered to paint at a charity event. Luckily, my best friend is a professional face painter. She lives in Hongkong but was in Singapore the week I was supposed to paint at the event, and she taught me lots and painted right beside me at the event as well. So i learned a lot and aim to continue learning and practising and just having fun.
SimoneDC

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2012-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Kammy on Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:36 am

Obsessed newbie here too, Simone - I have to stop myself talking about it all the time, because I'm worried others will either get terribly bored or think I've totally lost it.

They might be right about the latter...

I love your avatar photo. Smile

Kammy xx
Kammy

Back to top Go down

Post by SimoneDC on Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:41 am

Thanks, Kammy! And I adore *your* avatar picture, especially since I have a thing about butterflies -- they're the first thing i ever painted. Thank goodness for a Forum like this where we can talk FP with like-minded people Smile My colleagues are getting a little tired of me going on and on about FP Very Happy
SimoneDC

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2012-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Mama Bear (Melissa) on Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:12 pm

Hi Kammy. I've been painting for about 3 months now. I practice as often as the family schedule will allow (which isn't as much as I would like). I find practicing so relaxing. My kids are not the most willing participants when it comes to practice, so I usually paint my arms and legs. I haven't tried to get any paid jobs yet. Still working on my line work and getting various supplies. Here is a link for TAG Body Art's facebook page. Lots of pictures and step by steps. Happy painting. Smile
https://www.facebook.com/TAGBodyArt?ref=ts
Mama Bear (Melissa)

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2012-07-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Jayde on Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:52 am

a face painting mom wrote:It is all so relative, really. Something I have noticed, even though I have not been at my business very long (in my second year) there are other painters who are kind of stuck in a bygone time and do not move forward with business practices or design. I think you have to stay fresh, keep learning, keep evolving your work. So, by years, I am still a newbie compaired to some of the painters in my area who have been painting 10 years or more, but in many ways, being new is not a disadvantage, especially if you are the kind of painter who does not grow. So I guess, what I would say is, if you stay a newbie, meaning that you keep growing, keep learning, keep improving your business, and be open to new things, you are really better off in business than if you sit on your skills. I hope I never really think of myself as established!

Couldn't have said it better Martha. I've been painting for 9 years, professionally for about 3.5 and I still consider myself a newbie... a pretty learned newbie, but a newbie none the less. I don't ever want to be an old salt in this industry...fresh and new is always relevant. That being said, from the business side of the fence, escaping your newbie status is a good thing. I suppose I gage my newbie-ness on the business front based on whether or not I am capable of determining a best business practice without having to consult my peers and by the ratio of questions I have to ask vs. questions I have answers for. Unfortunately, the later is a flawed perception for me since I find myself refrainign from answering a lot of questions because being learned is synonymous with being a 'know it all' for some Sad
Lady Jayde

Number of posts : 1844
Registration date : 2009-08-10

http://www.imaginastic-facepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kammy on Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:47 pm

Lady Jayde wrote:Unfortunately, the later is a flawed perception for me since I find myself refrainign from answering a lot of questions because being learned is synonymous with being a 'know it all' for some Sad
I hate that point of view (theirs, not yours!) because it stifles education so severely. I'd have far more respect for someone who said "I don't know the answer to your question, but I'll find out!" than someone who either evaded the question or disregarded it, thinking they already "know enough". Nobody knows everything about anything, and it's really arrogant to think you have nothing left to learn.

We're all at different points on a learning curve. I get that much. But frankly, Lady Jayde...looking at your avatar, I can't imagine EVER being that good. Laughing
Kammy

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Jayde on Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:33 pm

Kammy wrote:
Lady Jayde wrote:Unfortunately, the later is a flawed perception for me since I find myself refrainign from answering a lot of questions because being learned is synonymous with being a 'know it all' for some Sad
I hate that point of view (theirs, not yours!) because it stifles education so severely. I'd have far more respect for someone who said "I don't know the answer to your question, but I'll find out!" than someone who either evaded the question or disregarded it, thinking they already "know enough". Nobody knows everything about anything, and it's really arrogant to think you have nothing left to learn.

We're all at different points on a learning curve. I get that much. But frankly, Lady Jayde...looking at your avatar, I can't imagine EVER being that good. Laughing

You're too sweet! It's an age old argument that I dare not stir back up. Perception is as perception does. Sadly I used to be very willing to regurgitate all that I've learned from people I know in the industry, but when you get kicked for doing just that, it becomes easier to answer the questions asked in private messages or in your head. I'm not bothered much by it though...it is what it is.

Now, judging by what you've written in your other posts, that buttterfly is one of your firsts...if that's the case, you're lightyears ahead of the game compared to when I started. I'm still a newbie with lots to learn, but thank you for appreciating how far I've come. And YES... YOU WILLget there...hopefully, you'll paint something similar WITHOUT having to deal with stripper booty clapping and car towing fees like I did. It's a long, painfully funny story...
Lady Jayde

Back to top Go down

Post by a face painting mom on Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:59 pm

Bwahahahaahaha...still ooogle your stripper spots CJ! I will welcome education from you anytime! Very Happy

a face painting mom

Number of posts : 1913
Registration date : 2011-07-13

http://www.afacepaintingmom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ladysinaz on Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:14 pm

Meh
I have no problem being a "know it all" Razz
If i indeed know it. I Love it when ppl tell me whats what, so that is what i do when i'm in the position that i have more knowledge on a particular thing, or if i have an opinion (cause i have those too lol)

I've been doing body art in one form or another well over a decade.... Off and On :/ this is not helpful.
I'm the definition of jack of all trades, master of none.
So years ish of experience, yet as newbie as it gets with some stuff
ladysinaz

Number of posts : 291
Registration date : 2012-08-11

http://www.maguscorium.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kammy on Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:16 am

Lady Jayde wrote:And YES... YOU WILLget there...hopefully, you'll paint something similar WITHOUT having to deal with stripper booty clapping and car towing fees like I did. It's a long, painfully funny story...
Do I get to hear this story.....? Or is it a case of "I could tell you, but I'd have to kill you"? Laughing
Kammy

Back to top Go down

Post by Jody Rife on Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:27 am

This is my second year in business. The year before that ,I painted 3 times with face paint. Once at a church event then twice at a school. The last school about broke me and I went home in tears and didn't paint for months! I have since grown a bit tougher skin and really do love face painting.
I am still very new in so many areas. I have found myself banging my head against a wall many times for what I consider, my newbie mistakes this past Summer. But we are all growing, making mistakes as we go and learning. I can tell you that we are all in the right place. I have learned much from diff. places but never so much as on this forum.

Jody Rife

Number of posts : 1725
Registration date : 2011-02-19

http://www.jodyrife.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Erica's Funny Faces on Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:03 am

I am a newb for sure lol. I started doing "family fun nights" at Sears face painting with the Klutz kit about a year ago and recently decided to start on my own. In the last 2 months I purchased the Diamond FX Dream Kit from JestPaint.com http://www.jestpaint.com/product-p/dfxpa109.htm and have been booking parties in my area. I have done approximately 10 so far... I consider myself a newbie not because of my skill level but because of the time I have invested, not much lol. I look around and see all these artists w/ 10+yrs of experience and I am wow'ed! Hopefully I will have years of expertise to share some day but I am soooo thankful for this forum, it has for sure helped me..... Very Happy
Erica's Funny Faces

Number of posts : 1306
Registration date : 2012-08-20

http://www.thefunnyfacepainter.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Erica's Funny Faces on Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:09 am

I just wanted to say that your avatar pic is AMAZING Jody! Wow!!! Can I get a tutorial for that?lol cheers
Erica's Funny Faces

Back to top Go down

Post by Jody Rife on Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:38 am

Haha Erica, here's the secret for that one. Get mad at your hubby and steam off by yourself to paint....that is what resulted,LOL
Jody Rife

Number of posts : 1725
Registration date : 2011-02-19

http://www.jodyrife.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Erica's Funny Faces on Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:01 am

Well I am sure you came back and WON that arguement, I mean...how could he argue with a face like that! Yikes!!! Probably scared the bejesus outta him! LMAO!!! Shocked
Erica's Funny Faces

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Jayde on Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:04 pm

Kammy wrote:
Lady Jayde wrote:And YES... YOU WILLget there...hopefully, you'll paint something similar WITHOUT having to deal with stripper booty clapping and car towing fees like I did. It's a long, painfully funny story...
Do I get to hear this story.....? Or is it a case of "I could tell you, but I'd have to kill you"? Laughing

I'll give you the cliff notes version:

WHY IT'S NEVER A GOOD IDEA TO PAINT GHETTO FABULOUS STRIPPERS

Amanda (from FPF) and I went to a paid body painting gig for two "dancers" who up until the last minute were indecisive about whether or not the even wanted to get painted. The clients were supposed to be getting tigers and when they finally decided it was a go, we booked the gig. We get there and can't find the address despite a very functional GPS. Why? Because the client failed to mention that she lived in a3 story walkup above a retail shop. So we locate the building and the clients boyfriend tells us to park across the street. We, being good listeners since Kindergarten, do as we're told.

The client informs us that the other person to be painted is running late...like 45 minutes late. 1st bad omen. I help Amanda base out her model until mine arrives. My model arrives, loud and proud, and declares that she doesn't want to be a tiger...she wants to be a Cheetah! And as if the prospect of painting hundreds if spots weren't enough to torque my bloomers, she declares that she wants to be, of all things, a WHITE cheetah! So this super tattood chick wants to deplete the world's supply of white makeup in order to become a Cheetah. We decide fine, just have to work faster.

Well, aside from the fact that my model had a nervous condition (called Cantsitstillforfivedamnedminutes) I had to contend with her impulse to dance, move, yell, and swear the entire time. If that wasn't bad enough, when I got to the part where I had to paint here rear, she started to shake (out of habit she claims) to the blaringly loud rap music that was playing in the apartment. That shaking culminated into a very impressive (Amanda was struck dumb) and coordinated booty clap that threatened not only my sanity but the very brush that was trying to apply paint to the gelatinous mass! That was one of life's moments that gets you stuck on stupid with no way off.

When we finally finished with them, Amanda's model did her awesome painting a disservice by donning a Farrah Fawcett hair flip and the two girls posed for a bunch of picture for us. We packed up and they paid us. The even gave us a tip... $2...but it was a tip none the less. Nevermind that Booty Girl's change of plan force an extension of the booking, nevermind that her tardiness made it take longer than we'd planned (Amanda and I both agreed that we'd hang tough together and who ever got done first would help the other finish so that we BOTH would leave together).

We took our money and high tailed it out of there only to find empty parking spaces where our trucks had been. WE make some phonecalls and discover that the idiot boyfriend had directed us to park in a private lot! We called the client who before we left was talking about making a stop at a specialty shop to get some funky contact lenses) and told her of the dilemma. She tells us that we shouldn't have listened to her boyfriend and that he didn't know what he was talking about (begs the question of "why you'd send an idiot to meet us" doesn't it?). She CLAIMS that she doesn't have anymore money and therefore can't help us with the tow costs (I guess she was going to dance for those contact lenses). We finally get my husband to come and pick us up and take us to get our cars and after the fees for the towing we both came away with like $50...no wait...$52...for two full body paintings.

And that folks, is why CJ doesn't paint strippers, exotic dancers, pole olympians, or anyone else who has a reasonable reason to dance naked for the general public. Lesson learned, filed and heeded.

It still stings to think about it... Mad
Lady Jayde

Back to top Go down

Post by Erica's Funny Faces on Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:42 pm

Lady Jayde
OMG! I swear I had to stop reading your testimonial like 5 times to wipe the tears from my eyes! I hope I never have funny, but infuriating at the time, stories like that to tell EVER! Neutral I would have went to the club she was "dancing" at just to throw nickels at her and give her some real spots! Mwahahaha!
Erica's Funny Faces

Back to top Go down

Post by Kammy on Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:03 pm

Um........

Speechless here. But I'll try to express what I'm thinking in some form of coherent fashion.

Oh. My. Zod.

As a consolation....um....at least you got a scorching avatar outta the whole debacle? And a story that'll get you bought sympathy drinks until you're 70?

I'm trying not to laugh. Really I am. I'm a nice person! But I'm still laughing. Laughing I'm so sorry you had to go through that!
Kammy

Back to top Go down

Post by Valerie A on Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:23 am

Lady Jayde!!!!!!!
What a story! Some of the worst moments give us such great laughter later!
Well, at least you've made all of us laugh!! lol! Maybe you're not to that stage yet Shocked
Thanks! you made my night! cheers
Valerie A

Number of posts : 1035
Registration date : 2012-07-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Erica's Funny Faces on Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:29 am

Anyone else have any crazy stories that had them peeved to no end? I have only done about 10 parties in the last 2mths so I haven't had to much exposure....Anything besides strippers that I should steer clear of?
Erica's Funny Faces

Back to top Go down

Post by AngelBare on Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:09 pm

No crazy stories here, yet, and definitely a newbie as far as the business end of things.

I've been painting (all kinds, including FP) since I was a freshman in high school. I'm the happiest with a paintbrush or a pencil in my hand. I've had to learn that lesson the hard way. I tried to give it up about seven years ago to go into drafting, because that's "where the money was" , according to my grandfatherly great-uncle, and I was miserable the entire time.

I quit my day job summer of 2010 when my mother was diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma, which is cancer of the white blood cells. My husband and I moved in with my parents to help them out and so I could keep an eye on her. Because she has always worked in the medical field, she was forced into early retirement, basically, because of the immune-compromization of her chemo treatments (she is currently in year 2 of 3)

We started doing flea markets and farmers markets summer 2011, and I went back to school to my original major(s), French and Art. My church put on a harvest festival last year, and I was asked if I could help with the little face-painting booth. The paints were horrible, the cheap kind you get from wal-mart, and a lot of the kids were very disappointed. At least it wasn't acrylics, though. I decided to do some research when I got home, and since then have bought up every color of Snazaroo I can find in the local Hobby Lobby and Michael's. (I'd love to buy other brands, but they aren't available here, and I'm poor, so I rarely order things online). I have done a few birthday parties and charity or church functions since then and I love it, but I still have yet to apply for my business license or draw up any kind of contract. I might be asking for tips about that before long. I did manage to print off a few business cards and do a little marketing at the last farmer's market. So, despite the art history, I certainly consider myself a newbie.
AngelBare

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2012-05-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Kammy on Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:31 pm

Angelbare - firstly (and most importantly), I'm sorry to hear your mum has cancer. I hope she's doing well on her treatment, and continues to do so. Smile

You have quite the story! I'm glad you finally figured out what makes you happiest, and I hope it becomes a prosperous joy for you. I doubt I'll ever be a professional (don't have the artistic talent, for a start!) but I get a huge amount of enjoyment from face painting, and it's the first time I've felt I can pick up a brush and do something I actually like. Smile

Glad to have you here with us. It's a great place, and a real treasure chest of inspiration and education.

Kammy x
Kammy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top