Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Accidental Advertising!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Accidental Advertising!

Post by Kammy on Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:23 am

Well, life's sometimes a bit surreal. My little boy spends 2.5 hours in nursery every weekday, and I often use that time to practice face painting. Today I had a friend around and we were talking for a while, but then some ShinyNewExciting paints and brushes arrived (YAY!) and I got going.

I painted myself as a tiger. Full face. All's fine to here, right?

I lost track of the time and realised I had to pick my son up in 5 minutes, and then had to do the shopping for dinner before coming home again.

Yup, I ended up doing all the above made up as a tiger. Gave my upstairs neighbour a bit of a shock, too. Eep!

Anyway...one of the parents at nursery asked if I'll do face painting at her daughter's birthday party in a few weeks' time! I was a bit startled by the request, but said I'd certainly have a go! Since I'd be at the party anyway (my son's invited) and it's the first time I've done anything like this, I only want to charge enough to cover my materials, but essentially....

It looks like I've got my first gig! But I've only been painting 2 weeks! And I'm really not sure I'm up to it, but the little girl's mum loved my tiger face! ARGH. I wasn't even expecting to be a party painter or anything other, really, than "a fun mum who paints faces when her son's friends come over to play".... What do I do now, apart from practice like mad??

A Very Startled Tiger x
Kammy

Number of posts : 1408
Registration date : 2012-09-04

Back to top Go down

Re: Accidental Advertising!

Post by Denise Cold on Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:34 am

Yeah! Glad to hear it worked. I guess I'll have to try the tiger face more.

D.
Denise Cold

Number of posts : 2717
Registration date : 2011-04-06

http://www.denisecold.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kammy on Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:06 pm

That's the point though - I genuinely DIDN'T mean to do it. It just worked out that way!

Perhaps I've hit on the best advertising ever. I'm a bit scared, though...
Kammy

Back to top Go down

Post by MeeMee on Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:06 pm

Congrat's and good luck.
MeeMee

Number of posts : 320
Registration date : 2009-09-03

http://www.specialtimesentertainment.com

Back to top Go down

Post by amylady222 on Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:08 pm

Do your face in about 5 girl design and 5 boy designs and take pictures. Get them developed and put them on a posterboard to help the kids see what you can do.

I also carry with me my "idea" book--it has pictures of faces I like that I haven't had lots of practice with, so if someone asks for a car face--I pull out my folder and "copy it" the best I can until I have my own design down. (maybe this is considered stealing I don't know--I don't POST them anywhere just use them for my own brain jolt-until I have a good design of my own) If I had a smart phone or something like that i could just look it up, but alas I do not. Plus I keep this in the car with lots of blank pages so when I see a cool shirt, a sign, a color combo I like I can write it down (at the next stop mind you!)---In this book I also have my own designs pictured step by step so I don't forget how to do it or leave out something important,

Maybe get a few business cards made (or make a few quick ones of your own until you have time to order nice ones) to pass out to the other moms.

If you are like me I made a checklist to go over to make sure I don't forget anything I might need.

Practice and have fun!!

amylady222

Number of posts : 1176
Registration date : 2012-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:18 pm

amylady222 wrote:.... take pictures. Get them developed ....

Can you still get photos "developed"?? scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by Kammy on Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:30 pm

Shannon Fennell wrote:
amylady222 wrote:.... take pictures. Get them developed ....

Can you still get photos "developed"?? scratch

Apparently you can, Shannon - I just had a friend ask me today where she could get a disposable camera film made into, y'know, REAL PICTURES. Laughing My "developing" involves chucking digital files at my photo printer and waiting a few minutes.

Thanks for the encouragement, everyone. And yes, amylady - I was thinking just a small selection of faces I feel kids will enjoy and I can do at least adequately. I suppose although I'm a newbie, at least I know I'm using good materials that won't harm the kids, and it'll be fun as I won't be too rushed.
Kammy

Back to top Go down

Post by KaranLeaf on Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:49 pm

That's Awesome Smile Congratulations!! I know you will enjoy the experience. Sounds like you are on your way to making $ while making kids happy. Walking art maybe the best advertising ever.
I have been thinking of maybe going out with cheek art on or something on back of my hand.. I just made up a few business cards the other day ..

KaranLeaf

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2012-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by debranewmanart on Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:54 pm

Good Job Kammy! For some reason a tiger always gets attention. When I do PPF events painted as a tiger I make more money!

debranewmanart

Number of posts : 615
Registration date : 2011-06-26

http://www.facebook.com/debranewmanart

Back to top Go down

Post by Kammy on Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:25 pm

debra - I wonder why that is?? Maybe they're subconsciously afraid you'll eat them if they don't pay you well? Laughing

I'm all excited and nervous at the same time. I have about 5 weeks to practice lots and get some decent, fun faces down that will make the children smile. I'm doing at least one face a day right now, and I know that good face painting takes a lot of work and experience. They're really, really sweet kids at Cian's nursery, so the party itself will be a hoot, but I hope I can make them happy.

Of course, there's still the chance she'll change her mind, but this has definitely raised some curiosity in me about whether I might, one day, be more than just a mum-who-paints. And it's flattering that she liked my face enough to ask, right?

Kammy x
Kammy

Back to top Go down

Post by dartiegirl on Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:10 am

Great idea! I might have to try picking up my daughter's from day care in full face and see if I can get myself a gig!
dartiegirl

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2012-06-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Kammy on Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:10 pm

It gets worse. I'm doing a charity gig now for paint costs only, because it's a cause I really want to contribute to and my friend volunteered me!

I seem to be a novice-but-gigging face painter.

And I'm not even sure how it happened.

Halp.
Kammy

Back to top Go down

Post by MissHeidi on Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:05 pm

You will do great! I started at a charity event where the organizers provided Snaz kits from a craft store and said "go for it!" I had never painted a face in my life! I'm glad nobody had a camera, BUT the important part is that all the kids were delighted to have their faces painted!
MissHeidi

Number of posts : 275
Registration date : 2012-07-30

http://www.colormewildfacepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kammy on Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:47 pm

To be honest, regarding the charity gig all I'm interested in is that the kids are happy and some money is made for this little girl's treatment. She was born with cancer, though her twin fortunately escaped the same fate, and she needs a rare form of treatment not available in the UK.

If I manage to make kids smile, and some money for her life, I'll be happy. At this point all I've asked is a tiny donation towards paint replacement.

As for the party, payment hasn't been discussed yet. I'll have to think about it. Smile

Thanks so much for all the encouragement, everyone. Frankly, I'm terrified! This is all a bit sudden and accidental.

Kammy x
Kammy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top