Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Assistants??

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Assistants??

Post by fabulousfaceskellie on Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:34 pm

Hello Smile,

I am very new to face painting and have only done a few free/volunteer "gigs". Tomorrow I have my very first PAYING gig- needless to say I am extremely excited!!!i am wondering though.. Do a lot of you have assistants or anything? I am fine working alone and everything.. But what about setting up tables.. Tents.. And getting fresh water.

I would love to hear any and everyone's thoughts!!

Thanks !!! - Kellie :-)

fabulousfaceskellie

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2012-09-07

Back to top Go down

Re: Assistants??

Post by Guest on Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:38 pm

You take your water with you. Always. Never depend on water sources at the venue as you have no idea if they will be potable or sanitary.

If you have someone to take with you to help if you need help you can. If you can handle it alone fine. Whatever you prefer.

Back to top Go down

Post by ARTSY LADY on Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:58 pm

So far all small events Ive done Its been only me I set up my canopy my chairs and tables and my entire equipment in like ten minutes, and for some reason I have ALWAYS taken with me two gallons of water. Never had to use them all but if need be they are there!
ARTSY LADY

Number of posts : 191
Registration date : 2012-06-02

Back to top Go down

Post by debranewmanart on Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:12 pm

I do it all by myself. It is best to be self sufficient. Which means you get to keep ALL the money too. Very Happy

debranewmanart

Number of posts : 615
Registration date : 2011-06-26

http://www.facebook.com/debranewmanart

Back to top Go down

Post by ARTSY LADY on Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:17 pm

Thats my favorite part too!!!!!!!
ARTSY LADY

Number of posts : 191
Registration date : 2012-06-02

Back to top Go down

Post by fesspenter on Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:07 am

When I am on my own...
My tent weights are 6 gallon potable water containers. One is filled with distilled water that I use for face painting. I attach them with bungee cords from their built in handle to the frame of the tent.
Set up and take down do not take very long.
When I am doing PPF I like to bring one of my daughters as Line Manager. She will get the children to decide what they want before they ever sit down in my chair. Having a Line Manager creates more income as I am painting more faces per hour. My daughters, Darcy and Holland, have been bringing the next child to my chair and helping the finished client out and over to the mirror. They wash brushes, schedule breaks for the team, makes sure everyone has tasty beverages. A Line Manager also makes sure there is no butting in line and has the icky, nasty job of closing down the line.
fesspenter

Number of posts : 3331
Registration date : 2011-04-29

http://www.wix.com/lisaleyes/facepaintbylisaleyes

Back to top Go down

Post by fabulousfaceskellie on Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:59 am

Nice! Thank you all for these very helpful replies!!

fabulousfaceskellie

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2012-09-07

Back to top Go down

Post by ginganinja on Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:24 pm

My mom is my line manager. She's awesome! It really helps with festivals and PPF events. She helps the kids decide, makes sure they have clean faces before they get to the chair, and she also takes payment from the 'rents. My Aunt is my go to back up painter. She's learning some of the simpler designs, and loves doing glitter tats. Its a family affair!

ginganinja

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2012-07-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Perry Noia on Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:57 pm

I don't usually have "assistants"... at long festivals or very busy events, I prefer to have another painter with me, but we don't have anyone around who isn't painting. We take care of our own water and brushes, etc. I am NEVER responsible for the line... their problem, not mine.... if they can't figure out who's next, then nobody is going until they figure it out.
Perry Noia

Number of posts : 3523
Registration date : 2008-12-12

http://www.perrynoia.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by FUNtasy on Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:01 am

I am very new doing face painting.
For me is just wonderful to have and assistant, she does a lot of little things that at the end save me a lot of time, because instead of waiting for people to decide on the designs or who is next, she take care of people being sure what they want and that, allow me to just focus on painting without wasting time, after all time is money!. For me, my assistant is awesome, she promote the business, take pictures and of course take care of the line and all other things, and sometimes when I get god tips I have being able to pay her just with that.
To close the line without to much trouble we have a displays that says: last face painted at: ? and before that time we give the people numbers with our logo on let say 1-4 so, before the deadline I just paint those that have our cards and we find that make things easier and in fact, the one that has the last number usually announce any other person that pretend to be in line that he will be the last that we going to paint. hahaha little trick!

I will say that depend what kind of job does your assistant is how you will be able to decide if is worth or not, In my particular situation I do more business with her help.
FUNtasy

Number of posts : 126
Registration date : 2012-07-21

http://www.FUNtasy.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by veelux on Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:29 am

We never have a line manager but always have a sign that tells people when we are finished. My husband does glitter tatts. and sells cotton candy (at street festivals) so he can usually keep an eye on whats going on and let people know we are almost at the end.

Only once I had a crabby Mom who expected me to paint the 20 or so kids who were still lined up - not paying attention to the signs. This was a paid hourly event and I politely told her we had to leave to attend another event.

She continued to complain to the other parents around her, but not my problem if they choose to ignore the sign.
veelux

Number of posts : 1464
Registration date : 2012-02-11

http://www.glitznglowz.com

Back to top Go down

Post by artyfacesbyluz on Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:09 pm

In a pay per face event it worth for you to pay somebody an hour fee just to collect the money and be the line manager it takes 2 half faces to collect, line up and get the kid pick the face he wants.
artyfacesbyluz

Number of posts : 953
Registration date : 2011-02-22

http://www.artyfacesbyluz.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris5115 on Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:32 pm

Well I was hoping to get my 12 & 10 year olds to be line managers for me but at the event where I painted yesterday they were enticed and lured away by the bouncy house near us. The good news is that those in line were well behaved and even helped hold down the tent that was provided but not staked down and several times decided to launch into the air.
Kris5115

Number of posts : 741
Registration date : 2012-04-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top