Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Gig Pointers, Please! *bit long!*

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Gig Pointers, Please! *bit long!*

Post by Valerie A on Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:26 pm

Been thinking about you Kammy and wondering how your first event went.
Bet you were VERY tired but exited at the same time at the end of the day.

Hope all went well and that you'll soon be back here when you get rested up.
sunny
Valerie A

Number of posts : 1035
Registration date : 2012-07-18

Back to top Go down

Post by vegas mom on Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:14 pm

skjfunny wrote:Practice the way you are going to work...all paints and brushes in place so you can quickly reach them...each time you have to search time is lost and frustration can build. Two waters, one to wash one to wet brush that stays clean. Keep a brush for white and one for black always wet and ready. Pack baby wipes and a liquid that doesn't spill for yourself. Many also pack a hand towel. Don't forget a non breakable mirror. Set up so you can see your line and speak to people with a big smile and pretend you've been doing it for years. Fact is with the thought you have put into it you'll know more about what you are doing than anyone in your line...they see you as the pro so simply act like one. Wear your best smile and ALWAYS double check your area before leaving a gig...leaving a rainbow cake can produce rain clouds in your day. sunny

Omg I just posted about this and feeling disorganized at a birthday party.. Setting my brushes down and looking for them, closing up some paints, ( kids were kicking dirt around and I didnt want it in my paints) setting them down just to have the next one want the same kind of design.. I hope this organization comes with practice..
vegas mom

Number of posts : 778
Registration date : 2011-11-06

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Magic-Wand-Face-Painting-and-Glit

Back to top Go down

Post by l!zzie on Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:51 am

Waiting for your first gig story Kammy!
How did it go?! Did you and the kids have fun?!
Have you made a nice amount of tips for Roma?
Was she there?

Last edited by l!zzie on Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:52 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Darn autocorrect....)
l!zzie

Number of posts : 2256
Registration date : 2011-09-28

http://www.detiskwant.nl

Back to top Go down

Post by Kammy on Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:47 am

Wow, lots of good wishes here! Firstly, to answer a question - no, Roma didn't come. She had to have minor surgery yesterday, but some of her family were there and I got to paint her big sister Ruby. Ruby also won the fancy dress contest (none of the judges knew her by sight, so it was genuine!), which really made me happy because with all that's going on with Roma, she obviously doesn't get very much attention right now.

To answer the rest...

It was awesome! I was nervous when I got there, but left myself plenty of time to set up, paint myself and a couple of the other team members before the event started.

When it did....oh my. "Not everyone will want to be painted," said the organiser. "There shouldn't be any queue, it'll be very relaxed," said the organiser.

"You big stinkin' fibber," says a very rushed Kammy. Laughing

There was a queue, but it was very good-natured. I got lots of "wow, look at how she's doing that!" comments from the adults while I was painting, and the look on children's faces when I showed them the final result was just enchanting.

I was literally getting them in the chair, saying "What would you like to be today?", thinking for 2 seconds, painting it for a few minutes, then watching their huge smile before saying "NEXT!"... Good job I'd been to the loo beforehand. Laughing

Star fairies, butterflies, kittens, rainbows and WUPPIES (see what you started, Lizzie??) were in high demand. I'm grateful that I didn't have to paint a Spidey all day. The best was a little girl I suspect was on the autistic spectrum (from work I've done in the past, and her reactions to sensory information). She was very nervous. Obviously wanted to be a butterfly, but was scrunching her little eyes up and flinching a lot. I took it slowly, sponging on her hand to show her how it would feel and so that she could see why, then altered the design so it didn't go TOO close to her eyes.

When I showed her the mirror, her face turned 180 degrees from the sad, scared little thing I'd seen so far into an absolutely joyful expression. Her mum was just thrilled, and her little brother dived straight into the chair and said "MY TURN!" Obviously he doesn't have the same anxieties as his wee sister. Laughing

By the end of the day, the organiser reckons I must have painted 2/3 of the kids attending. There were about 50 of them, so that's not bad for 2 hours but they weren't all full-faces - a few wanted wuppies (two teenage girls were hilarious, evangelising to everyone about how they needed a wuppie of their own because they're "SO COOL!"), rainbows with stenciled hearts over them, initials, etc. I finished my last face - with nobody else waiting, so no disappointments - about 15 minutes after the official event end.

We raised a good chunk of money for Roma. I'm thrilled about that more than anything. Smile

Oh, and after the event, the local pub landlord invited all of the event team over, and gave us bottles of wine and "interesting" shots....on the house, because he said he'd never seen a team work that hard in his life. Laughing

Sorry for babbling, but you did ask how it went!

Kammy xx
Kammy

Number of posts : 1408
Registration date : 2012-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Kammy on Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:53 am

Oh, and some of my work wasn't the best ever (I'm annoyed that I left the tongue off a doggie, but then again there was a buffet about to start and it would've got very smudged anyway!), but I was really, really pleased with some of it. I feel very pleased, having proven to myself that I can paint reasonably well, quickly and under pressure....and I can keep smiling and enjoy every second, too.

Thank you all for your encouragement!
Kammy

Back to top Go down

Post by l!zzie on Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:02 am

cheers
Yay for Kammy!!!
Great job!
l!zzie

Number of posts : 2256

http://www.detiskwant.nl

Back to top Go down

Post by dartiegirl on Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:06 am

Well done Kammy, sounds like it was a great success.
Did you manage to get any photos?
dartiegirl

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2012-06-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Kammy on Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:16 am

Very, very few of my own, sadly! I was so busy and Matt was off playing in the disco with Cian... Here's a couple that I do have, but I'm going to ask people who attended if they took any they can let me have copies of. Smile

This little star fairy couldn't stop smiling, and came back twice to thank me after running off to show everyone:

And this is me, face painting my friend's beautiful little girl Erin as a kitten to match her fancy dress outfit:

Erin waited in line sooo patiently, excitedly whispering (loudly) "Gill's face painting! It's GILL!!!" Laughing This is her painted up. She's asked to be on my display board:

And finally (told you I didn't have many!) a wuppie on a very happy teenage cheek. We decided he'd been on the booze:

Sorry I don't have more. I'll post them if I get them!
Kammy

Back to top Go down

Post by Kammy on Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:25 am

One more thing...

Out of all the kids I painted, only one was more fidgetty (or even AS fidgetty) as my son.

I guess this means I at least have a good training canvas. If I can paint him, I can paint ANYONE. Laughing
Kammy

Back to top Go down

Post by dartiegirl on Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:29 am

Wow, fantastic! All that practise has certainly paid off, no one would know it was your first gig. That kitty is just adorable!
I've got my second birthday party coming up in 2 weeks so I need to get practising again. I've packed all the gear away as we are renovating so I actually haven't touched my paints for about 3 weeks, eek! I'm definately getting withdrawal symptoms.
So were you able to get any future bookings out of this event?
dartiegirl

Back to top Go down

Post by Kammy on Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:45 am

Um....that's a bit embarrassing, actually.

I forgot to put my comments form - complete with contact details for future gigs - out before the event started. And then I really, really didn't have time to reach into my bag. So no, I didn't....even though I got a couple of mums asking if I do parties. Laughing

ON THE BRIGHT SIDE...the organiser is going to put my details on the event page, which attendees will be returning to in order to view photos of the party. She's also going to encourage them to send me photos of their painted-up littlies and any comments they have for me, so I'll hopefully hear from some of them.

Lesson learned on that one, I tells ya. I'm an eejit.
Kammy

Back to top Go down

Post by Perry Noia on Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:38 am

nice work, glad your first event went so well Very Happy
Perry Noia

Number of posts : 3523
Registration date : 2008-12-12

http://www.perrynoia.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Kammy on Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:22 am

Perry Noia wrote:nice work, glad your first event went so well Very Happy
Thank you, Perry! I loved painting at the event, and I don't think I could've done it - certainly not as happily or well - without all the encouragement I've had from FPF members like you. x
Kammy

Back to top Go down

Post by Kammy on Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:25 am

To answer the other bits that you wrote, Dartiegirl...

dartiegirl wrote:Wow, fantastic! All that practise has certainly paid off, no one would know it was your first gig. That kitty is just adorable!
Funny you should say that. Nobody DID know it was my first gig, and I wasn't going to tell them. Laughing The organiser knew it was my first charity event, but presumed I'd been painting for ages and was surprised to find out (at the end) that I'm new to face painting. She said she was very, very pleased with the service I provided. It made me happy. Smile
I've got my second birthday party coming up in 2 weeks so I need to get practising again. I've packed all the gear away as we are renovating so I actually haven't touched my paints for about 3 weeks, eek! I'm definately getting withdrawal symptoms.
Get painting, lassie! Use it or lose it, and all that. Laughing I currently have an experimental dragon mask over my eyes and my child is wuppififed. Yes, that's a real word. Really it is.

Kammy x
Kammy

Back to top Go down

Post by lady jynx on Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:35 am

Congrats on a job well done. Kammy. You survived, did a good job, made some money for Roma, and came away with some memories of your own. I am glad it went well. It is amazing how the time flies isn't it?

lady jynx

Number of posts : 351
Registration date : 2012-08-12

Back to top Go down

Post by vegas mom on Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:11 am

Congrats!!!! I'm so happy that you enjoyed your first big event and that it was so close to your heart!!! Keep up the great work!
vegas mom

Number of posts : 778
Registration date : 2011-11-06

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Magic-Wand-Face-Painting-and-Glit

Back to top Go down

Post by Valerie A on Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:53 pm

And to think we saw you go from "a little seed to full flower" right before our very eyes here, Kammy!
sunny

I haven't been here long myself, but even reading tons of threads, I don't think I've seen anyone ask so many good questions, soak up the information and do your "homework" the way you have!! Congratulations on a job well done!

cheers cheers cheers
Valerie A

Back to top Go down

Post by Kammy on Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:57 pm

Valerie - thank you so much for your lovely comments! I don't think I'm at full flower, but I've certainly learned a lot in the time I've been here, short as that time might be.

I'm enjoying this new journey I'm on. I'm trying very hard to learn, to listen and to improve, along with everyone else. I love this place! I've lurked and even commented on another couple of forums (I'm aware this one is based far from home for me), but....they're not FPF. They're not the same, and IMHO they're not as open and welcoming. Smile
Kammy

Back to top Go down

Post by Valerie A on Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:24 pm

I'm sure you have lots more "blossoming" to do flower
...just that you went from playing with your paint to a gig and did it with lots of research/work in a short time.

Before I found the forum, I was watching some of Lisa Joy Young's tutorials and reading the comments under each one. A fp'r blasted her for making the videos and said she should let people find out the hard way how to do everything like she did...LJY responded saying that there were so many kind people that helped her when she was starting out that she wanted to share what she knew. Somewhere she made reference to this forum and about all the helpful people here (that's how I found it.) Some forums you go on, if you are the new person, the older ones just carry on 'around' you, so to speak, and never acknowledge the newbies comments/newbie painting Wink attempts etc...not very welcoming!

It is so nice to be here with these astonishingly talented but welcoming people! I love you
Valerie A

Back to top Go down

Post by GracieFace on Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:50 pm

lady jynx wrote:It really isn't just the kids that get experiences out of the face painting. I know I have been touched many times over by many that have come to my chair. Each one has a story and it is amazing to the gift we are given.

This makes me incredibly happy and grateful that I am embarking on this new journey of my life, beginning to face paint. I am touched to hear of such wonderful heart felt stories. If I can help someone by brightening their day whilst I get to use a gift that God gave me that I enjoy, then I have found my niche:)
GracieFace

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2012-08-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Kammy on Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:31 am

GracieFace wrote:This makes me incredibly happy and grateful that I am embarking on this new journey of my life, beginning to face paint. I am touched to hear of such wonderful heart felt stories. If I can help someone by brightening their day whilst I get to use a gift that God gave me that I enjoy, then I have found my niche:)
I love to make people smile, especially children, and honestly - you will get SUCH a joyful thrill out of seeing children's faces when they see their painted faces in the mirror. It's like you've made a little fantasy come true for them. Smile
Kammy

Back to top Go down

Post by Kammy on Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:46 pm

I just wanted to come back to this thread, and say THANK YOU to everyone who helped to make my first gig so much fun, and such a success.

I was worried about the "working for free only gets you more free gigs" thing....but (as some of you know) I got my first paying gig because the landlord of a large community pub saw and loved my work at the charity event! I'll be the only face painter at a large party night at his establishment, paying no fee to be there and taking home 100% of my PPF takings over the 6 hours. Win-win situation for me, really. He said he was very impressed with the quality of my painting as well as the way I handled everything, so the tips you lot gave me obviously paid off. Smile It's a fancy-dress event too, so there's a good chance lots of people will wish to be painted.

Just wanted to update anyone who was interested, and express my gratitude for all the great support I got on this thread. You're fantastic! I love you
Kammy

Back to top Go down

Post by dartiegirl on Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:43 am

Wow, win-win indeed! That's an awesome sounding gig.
If its at a pub/club do you think there will be a black light? Great excuse to get out the neon paints. May also be a good opportunity to try some glitter tatts too if its an adult event. I'm sure you will be wonderful, I hope you have a great night x
dartiegirl

Back to top Go down

Post by Kammy on Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:06 am

Thanks Dartiegirl. Smile I think the best thing about this gig is that I can't lose. My transport's provided so I don't even have that small cost. If the worst happened and I didn't sell a single face all night, I'd have a night out, at a pub I like, reading a book and chatting to people. Sounds like a pretty pleasant way to spend an evening, to me! But of course, every time I DO paint a face, I get every penny with nothing having to go to the venue. Not quite sure why they wanted me there THAT much, but I'm glad they were so pleased with my work at the charity gig. They had no idea - and still don't! - that that fundraiser was my first ever facepainting event and that I only picked up brushes for the first time last month. Eep. Laughing

There aren't blacklights at the pub, but I'm going to make sure I have neons there anyway, as it's on a Friday night and some customers may be going on to a club after the event. Doubt it though - the gig doesn't finish until 1am!

I don't have any glitter tattoos yet, but it's something I'm hoping to get in the future. xx
Kammy

Back to top Go down

Post by Affordable Face Magic on Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:36 pm

Just discovered this thread today.
Valerie, that was my experience too when I started out last year. Lisa Joy Young led the way here. LOVE the FPF!
Kammy, it was good to follow your journey as you were supported & encouraged along the way. Congrats on a job well done & your resulting 2nd gig.
This is such a wonderful resource for all of us...advice, support, ideas, a wealth of experience, straight talking (yes I mean you Shannon & Perry & a few others!) & to top it off, Metina has what we need to do it all.
Affordable Face Magic

Number of posts : 839

http://www.affordablefacemagic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top