Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

gungy brushes and other questions

View previous topic View next topic Go down

gungy brushes and other questions

Post by staysilly on Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:58 pm

Hi mentors

I've been working now for quite a few years, but I have to admit that only recently am I really beginning to see jobs coming in more frequently. Back to back birthday parties etc.

I have bought myself a brand new beautiful carrying case on wheels I love you I feel like my kit is beginning to be comfortable and user friendly. I'm getting quite quick and my designs are looking more polished and professional thanks to all your amazing tips and videos.

BUT, I have a few difficulties that I just cannot seem to work out! Now I know some of you are going to roll your eyes and ask yourself how the hell has she been working, but these things just don't seem to have smoothed themselves out, anyway, here are my problems (please go easy on me!):

1. How do I stop my paint brushes from getting gungy and gloopy after working more than an hour straight? I spray my sponges and paints, I try to use the same brush for each colour or colour combo, but my white and black especially tend to get really congealed after a few faces. Should I be washing them off more often? I live in a very hot climate, so I have to spray the paints almost every face and so my paint doesn't stay lovely and wet very long.

2. I seem to end up with very messy paints, different colours mixed on the tops, trying to find pure white at the end of a gig is hard! is this normal?? what can I do to keep things purer?

3. Last one, and this is a bit silly, but I have the Royal Brush - Square Brush Basin, which I normally find really convenient, I try to keep one side clear so that I can get to all the brushes easily, but I do end up swiping myself a lot!

OK, just give it to me straight, am I a bloody messy face painter? or is any of this normal?

I'm laughing at myself, so I hope that you are too. You're all absolutely amazing and the highlight of my day is logging on here and seeing what you've all been up to! Thank you so much! cheers
staysilly

Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2010-11-10

Back to top Go down

Re: gungy brushes and other questions

Post by TheGildedCat on Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:24 pm

1. Yes, rinse your brush between each use. I use the same brush over and over in the same color, but I do rinse it between uses or else it does get gunked up. Think of the bristles like a pen nib - there needs to be flow between where the brush holds it's ink (near the ferrule), and where it comes out (the tip). If the paint has hardened in the brush, then there is no flow!

2. I am a paint mixer as well, but I always use a dedicated white brush and black brush and I don't really mix my lining colors (wolfe) with my blending colors.

3. I hate that thing - if you can make it work for you, then great! I have no tips because I just hate using it. It's not well-designed for how I retrieve water for my brushes. I use the water bottle ice cube tray to hold my brushes and a separate water source.
http://www.amazon.com/Ice-Tubes-Llc-Cube-Tray/dp/B002DCCZA6/ref=pd_sim_k_10
TheGildedCat

Number of posts : 1577
Registration date : 2010-09-06

http://www.thegildedcat.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Denise Cold on Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:41 pm

I have that brush basin and I put the scrubbies in the bottom of the separated side. I only spray cakes for sponge work when I know I'm going to be taking all the water off the top. I dip for brush work and wash out between kids except for black and white and those are basically washed out as I dip them again. As far as the mixed colors (for blossoms and stuff) I just hold the cake over my water bin and spray off the color...that's the only other time I do that and I pat it off on my towel.

Denise Cold

Number of posts : 2717
Registration date : 2011-04-06

http://www.denisecold.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Jayde on Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:11 pm

Hi mentors

Here is my advise, without the eye roll:

1. How do I stop my paint brushes from getting gungy and gloopy after working more than an hour straight? I spray my sponges and paints, I try to use the same brush for each colour or colour combo, but my white and black especially tend to get really congealed after a few faces. Should I be washing them off more often? I live in a very hot climate, so I have to spray the paints almost every face and so my paint doesn't stay lovely and wet very long. I avoid spraying my paints. The air they are exposed to will dry the top surface layers but unless you're working in a convection over, some of that moisture will be retained under the surface and eventually you get gunk. I dip my brush in the water an swipe back and forth to load up with pigment. The swiping motion will help with the gunking up and the limited water being added to your paints will too. I have a black 3 compartment retangular water container and the first compartment is for dipping my brushes and the second two are back ups.
2. I seem to end up with very messy paints, different colours mixed on the tops, trying to find pure white at the end of a gig is hard! is this normal?? what can I do to keep things purer? If I have to mix my paints (as I do for double dipped flowers) I will reserve a single 5mm spot for the mixing and stick to that spot. I use one brush for each color otherwise so there is very little cross contamination. I often use white as a base for my double dipped flowers and despite rinsing that brush after each time I need to change the center color of my flowers, a little residual of the last color will inevitably start to discolor my white. Because of that I have a separate little white in my kit. The "mixing white" is in a little round pot a little bit bigger than a water bottle cap and I don't care if it changes tints througout the day as long as my main white stays white. Also, if I notice that my brush is picking up other colors while I paint, I take a second to dip the brush back in the water and wipe off that "contaminated) layer of paint before putting my brush back in the white for reloading.
3. Last one, and this is a bit silly, but I have the Royal Brush - Square Brush Basin, which I normally find really convenient, I try to keep one side clear so that I can get to all the brushes easily, but I do end up swiping myself a lot! Keep 2 sides clear? I don't use the basin anymore but I do use a container full of decorative beads to hold my brushes up and if it fills up with color loaded brushes I swipe myself quite a bit. I've managed to avoid a lot of that by keeping a separate cup of clean brushes next to my primary brush holder and only grabbing another brush to add to the mix of used brushes if what is already used doesn't meet my color/size requirement for the design I'm painting. In doing this I've found that I use a LOT less brushes that I can justify owning. I also get to wash fewer brushes at the end of the day Twisted Evil )

OK, just give it to me straight, am I a bloody messy face painter? or is any of this normal?
While the normalcy of any face painter is still up for debate, I can assure you that you are just going through the customary growing pain we all go through as we figure out how to structure our kits to fit our painting style/preference.

I'm laughing at myself, so I hope that you are too. You're all absolutely amazing and the highlight of my day is logging on here and seeing what you've all been up to! Thank you so much! cheers Laughing If you're laughing at yourself, you're one step ahead of the game and it a good place, trust me...life's too short.
Lady Jayde

Number of posts : 1844
Registration date : 2009-08-10

http://www.imaginastic-facepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by staysilly on Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:57 am

Thank you guys, you've made it sound a hell of a lot less complicated!!

Have a great week!
staysilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sweet Loretta on Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:21 pm

And don't stress some of us are just messier than others!
Sweet Loretta

Number of posts : 744
Registration date : 2008-09-25

http://www.sweet-loretta.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:09 pm

And everyone is messier than me.

Back to top Go down

Post by staysilly on Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:20 am

I suppose I shouldn't expect this to be any different to other parts of my life! lol! At least the faces normally come out un-messy Very Happy
staysilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Jayde on Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:40 am

Shannon Fennell wrote:And everyone is messier than me.
I'm not...
So there! Twisted Evil
Lady Jayde

Number of posts : 1844
Registration date : 2009-08-10

http://www.imaginastic-facepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ashley Pickin on Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:01 am

I have a couple of whites, and a couple of blacks on my table. One for sponging, one for brushes... I find that this works best for me, but it's not necessary... Just try out different methods, challenge yourself with new techniques...

"today I will not use the spray bottle at all"
"today I will do all of the white parts last, or first.."

You try out these different things and then you'll find a balance that you're comfy with.

Don't feel bad, we've all been there. Smile
Ashley Pickin

Number of posts : 838
Registration date : 2009-06-27

http://www.picnpaint.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top