Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Buying Bruses - things to avoid

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Buying Bruses - things to avoid

Post by kingsmeadmama on Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:26 pm

After reading many threads about buying brushes, I understand that they often come down to personal choice in terms of brand. that being said, can somebody please tell me if there are things I should avoid when buying brushes? I'm also wondering what makes a good quality brush, a good quality brush. I know that tools can make or break you, so I want to get something decent and hopefully avoid some frustration in the process.

thanks in advance for your input Smile
kingsmeadmama

Number of posts : 351
Registration date : 2012-10-14

Back to top Go down

Re: Buying Bruses - things to avoid

Post by Facepainting by Tina on Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:24 pm

It's hit and miss with me. I paid $11.99 for a loew cornell liner brush and used it once and it's crap!! I got a 10 pack of synthetic brushes that came with a collapsible water holder/brush holder at Michael's for $7.99 and then I got it half off...so paid $4 for 10 brushes and the holder and they rock!! I love each and every one of them and they're so springy and wonderful and easy to clean (the bristles did stain from pink and purple but who cares?)

You really just have to buy them all on sale (so you don't feel guilty) and try them out and when you find one you love...buy 4 more!! lol
Facepainting by Tina

Number of posts : 447
Registration date : 2012-09-12

http://www.tinassugarshack.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sweet Loretta on Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:16 pm

Loew Cornell is the preferred brand by most all the top pros and instructors - of course we have others tucked in for our personal choices but overall this is a brand everyone loves. The White Nylons are stiffest the Comfort Handles less so and the Golden Talklons even less being the softest.

Royal is another good, top and popular brand.

Avoid liners and fancy brushes like daggers and stipples. Save those for when you really know what your doing with your stroke work. Get any thing from a number 2 to a number 6 round to find what you like. Most use a number 4 as their main brush. Some painter like big number 6's and some prefer smaller ones, some like the range.

Many start out with stiffer brushes and move on to softer ones once they learn to control the brush and place their strokes.
Sweet Loretta

Number of posts : 744
Registration date : 2008-09-25

http://www.sweet-loretta.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Caswell Designs FP on Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:11 pm

Buy them on sale, both Hobby Lobby and Michaels has weekly coupons.

I will often stand in the store and test the springiness of the brushes out on the back of my hand.

My preference is Loew Cornell golden taklon, but I do have some Royals and a few others for specific jobs (rake, filberts, flats).
A good #2, 4 and 6 round. I keep separate #4s for my black and white, since I use them for detail work.
If you are using splits, you will want a quality flat brush. I like the green handled Plaid brand flats, that are found in the stenciling aisle of craft stores.

You want a brush that will hold its point for you.

It does take some trial and error before finding what works for you. I wasted a ton of money on different Royals when I started out, in every shape, size, bristle type.
But now I know what works for me, and I always buy them with a coupon. Just wish I could still find the Loew Cornell 7000c series of brushes. Those were my fave.
Caswell Designs FP

Number of posts : 584
Registration date : 2010-01-15

http://www.caswellfacepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by martha on Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:35 pm

Just wanted to add that wooden handle brushes will eventually peel although you can "Shannon Fennell" them with nail polish. I love it when I can find a good brush with an acrylic or plastic handle.
martha

Number of posts : 1951
Registration date : 2011-05-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Misha on Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:04 pm

I've been painting in different mediums off and on for 20 years. I have yet to master a liner brush.

I pick mine up one week at a time at Micheal's.
Misha

Number of posts : 329
Registration date : 2011-10-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Facepainting by Tina on Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:54 am

Good, so it's a user error on the liner brush hahhaha....really though, the brush totally fuzzed out and is all fluffy and shaggy after one use (maybe that's what it is supposed to do?)

I still have it (since I paid so much for it)...hopefully one day I will get good enough to use it.

Right now my very favorite detail brush is this one from the FPFshop

https://www.facepaintforumshop.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=200
Facepainting by Tina

Number of posts : 447
Registration date : 2012-09-12

http://www.tinassugarshack.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DreamWarrior on Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:32 pm

I thing I have learned from being a makeup artist is that brushes are a very personal thing. What one woman likes can be completely different from another... hence all the variations in hairs, handles, etc.

In my opinion, its by trial and error that you find your favorite and what works.
DreamWarrior

Number of posts : 119
Registration date : 2012-07-20

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGildedCat on Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:52 am

Start touching brushes every time you go into a store. Touch all the brushes you love at home. It makes it easier to get a "feel" (literally) for what you like in a brush. I can touch a brush in a store now and know if I'll like it or not. If you really have no idea, then start out with a #4 Loew Cornell white takon with the gold handle. It's a good, basic brush that has a lot of fans. You might not like it as much as another brush down the road, but at least you'll have a jumping-off point to know whether your looking for softer or firmer bristles, etc.
TheGildedCat

Number of posts : 1577
Registration date : 2010-09-06

http://www.thegildedcat.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top