Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Where do you draw the line at Stolen Photos?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Where do you draw the line at Stolen Photos?

Post by DreamWarrior on Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:19 pm

Question:

For those of us starting out in the business, please tell me what exactly is considered a stolen photo?

Other than the blatant use of another face painters work being displayed as your own, what else is there to know as far as face painting etiquette? study

I search online and youtube for designs and tutorials and work my butt off trying to replicate the same/similar image.

Once I'm satisfied with the look - do I have the rights to display what I painted on my boards, even though it's someone else's design? scratch Should I mention on the board, "Inspired by So-and-So" giving credit where it's due?

For Example:
Lisa Joy Young did a tutorial on a fall pumpkin and I re-did it on my daughter. I was soo happy with the results that I took a picture and plan to use it on my board... is that a FP "no-no"?

My photo: Also note, I learned how to watermark! lol
[img][/img]

Let me know what you think!

Thanks!!
DreamWarrior

Number of posts : 119
Registration date : 2012-07-20

Back to top Go down

Re: Where do you draw the line at Stolen Photos?

Post by SuzySparkles on Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:26 pm

Put it on your board with no mention of anyone... Regular people at a pumpkin patch or a birthday party do not care OR KNOW who Brian Wolfe or Lisa Joy Young are... If you paint it, put it on your board... and have fun!! Smile
SuzySparkles

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2009-11-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Lacey's Faces on Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:01 pm

I agree, as long as you painted it it's not stealing in my opinion.
Way cute pumpkin btw!
Lacey's Faces

Number of posts : 296
Registration date : 2012-06-13

Back to top Go down

Post by ParTIA on Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:35 pm

I agree, most all of us are inspired by someone. But it must be your actual painting.
ParTIA

Number of posts : 184
Registration date : 2011-07-05

http://www.partiafacepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Jayde on Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:55 pm

Once you recreate it with your own artistic flair you've created something different. If you're going to case copy down to the last teardrop placement I'd be reluctant to slap a watermark on it, just seems wrong to me. Inspiration can spark invention, but copying is just copying (and no I don't buy the whole "highest form of flattery" crap). You also have to consider where you're going t use it when it comes to giving credit for inspriation. Like Suzy said, your overage pumpkin patch customer won't care. The easiest way to avoid it all is to access the design that inspires you and use it a foundation for your own design...make it yours by putting a little of you in it and you'll get very few neigh sayers.
Lady Jayde

Number of posts : 1844
Registration date : 2009-08-10

http://www.imaginastic-facepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Perry Noia on Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:13 pm

Someone can think that their design is completely original, but someone, somewhere has painted it before. I swear to you that I came up with my flying unicorn idea straight out of my own imagination and thought it was the most amazingly creative, never been done before thing in the whole world... didn't I at almost the exact same time see the same design idea start coming from EVERYWHERE? Do I think they stole from me? That would be giving myself far too much credit... ideas blossom from many places at once.

If you painted it on yourself or your own model, then it is YOURS. Just don't post pictures of me and my kids without my permission Wink
Perry Noia

Number of posts : 3523
Registration date : 2008-12-12

http://www.perrynoia.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Miss Ronnie on Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:20 pm

When someone is providing a tutorial, I would imagine that they automatically assume that their design will be recreated many times over by countless others....
Miss Ronnie

Number of posts : 3089
Registration date : 2011-08-28

http://www.wix.com/missronnie/fantasyfaces

Back to top Go down

Post by DreamWarrior on Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:58 pm

Thanks everyone for all your awesome comments! I just wanted to make sure I wasn't stepping on anyone's toes! Very Happy
DreamWarrior

Number of posts : 119
Registration date : 2012-07-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Perry Noia on Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:59 pm

There will always be someone getting their panties in a bunch, don't worry, you're fine Very Happy
Perry Noia

Number of posts : 3523
Registration date : 2008-12-12

http://www.perrynoia.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Denise Cold on Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:45 pm

I have a new one, to me anyway, I found that my competitors put all of their Vegas conference photos in a folder on their business page and didn't label the folder and mixed in their own pictures in with Pashur, Mark Reid, Kerry Ann Smith, Dutch...you name the painter, they were there....the quality difference is really obvious (they are new painters) and they also call themselves award winning (I think they got a partial scholarship to the conference...so did I the year before but it wasn't for my painting which is the implication!)

...and get this, I'm in there too with a design from Kerry Ann Smith on my face! LOL! Metina, Suzy, everyone is there in the folder. I've sent a message to one of my other Utah Painters that is "friends" with them to do something about it and I haven't tattled yet but I will soon.

No, they didn't outright lie and claim the photos were painted by them but the lack of labeling on some of the best artists in the world is deceptive to new clients.

As far as the original question...In your market you don't have to give credit for the design just make sure you paint it yourself. In the online fp community don't say "look at the design I came up with" without crediting the original artist...I think it's just nice. I try to avoid re-posting a photo from another artist because invariably everyone says "great design" and I'm like "yeah, that's why it was in my inspiration folder! It's not mine" so now I PM them the photo. Another aspect is, even if you paint it yourself, I don't think it's cool to enter a contest with a design that someone else came up with.

I do suggest that in the future you label your inspiration pictures with "spider_pashur" or something like that. I had a problem with that this summer because I had an angry bird picture in my inspiration folder and I put it on my board and then Marcela was asking who came up with the angry bird design and I was getting credit and then another painter took credit and I couldn't figure out who did the original...it was frustrating. So that's my policy...if it's good enough to go in your folder then it's good enough to give credit to the "author." I still don't know who came up with those faces printouts...anyone?

Sorry, that was a too long answer. Perry is right, there are a lot of bunched panties in the FP community. Smile

D.
Denise Cold

Number of posts : 2717
Registration date : 2011-04-06

http://www.denisecold.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Jayde on Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:31 am

Perry Noia wrote:Someone can think that their design is completely original, but someone, somewhere has painted it before. I swear to you that I came up with my flying unicorn idea straight out of my own imagination and thought it was the most amazingly creative, never been done before thing in the whole world... didn't I at almost the exact same time see the same design idea start coming from EVERYWHERE? Do I think they stole from me? That would be giving myself far too much credit... ideas blossom from many places at once.

If you painted it on yourself or your own model, then it is YOURS. Just don't post pictures of me and my kids without my permission Wink

You're not the only one Perry. When i was interviewing Mark he told m ethe story about a mouth frog that he'd painted years ago hut never published pictures of. Another artist across the globe posted practically thesame design a while later without having seen his. I think that over time creative minds come to identical creative destinations.the only original ideas left will be comprised of a mashup of existing ideas.
Lady Jayde

Number of posts : 1844
Registration date : 2009-08-10

http://www.imaginastic-facepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Criss on Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:26 am

Ha ha that's funny Lady Jayde, because I also have a mouth frog that's been on my board for about six years, I got the idea from a character in a book. I saw Mark's about two years ago and laughed to myself and thought that was awesome we had the same design Smile (no, I don't believe I'm the person he's referencing)
Criss

Number of posts : 906
Registration date : 2009-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Facepainting by Tina on Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:09 am

I actually reviewed copyright laws in excess when launching my cake decorating business (invariably EVERY bride comes to me with a photo of a cake "they just have got to have!") and I wanted to make sure I was able to legally "copy" another cake design.

The laws are long and use lots of fancy wording, but the jist of the laws are that it is illegal to use someone else's photo (even someone else's photo of YOUR product, if they don't give you permission...so if a professional photography snaps photos of your work at a fair, you would have to "buy" the rights to those photos from the photog)

It is legal, however, to "copy"...even and EXACT copy (if you're talented enough) of someone else's design, because it's considered "artistic license" which basically means that no matter what you do, you aren't the same person so it won't be a dead on exact replication....even 2 faces that YOU paint, will vary slightly...and that makes it different under copyright laws. Also, you can't patent a "design" even though people try! The only exception to these laws are copyrighted characters, things like Mickey Mouse, Spongebob, Spiderman, etc........granted, the owners of the characters might not care (unless it's Disney) if you paint a boy like spidey, but technically even if you change the color/name...if it resembles THEIR character at all...it is copyright infringment.

As long as you paint your own paintings, and take your own pics, get permission from parents of kids you photograph, you will be fine.

It is a BIG BIG no no, to take a photo of a random kid on the web with a cool cheek art, and plop it on your board. You can't assume the person who owns that kid won't wind up at your booth (since search engines often give you searches tailored to where you live, it's quite possible your google search rendered face painting photos of people in your area!)

I think everyone else covered it, give a nod when you replicate someone's design when you post it in a forum, on your board for gigs, make sure the photos are your own.
Facepainting by Tina

Number of posts : 447
Registration date : 2012-09-12

http://www.tinassugarshack.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top