Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Rubbing Alcohol For Sanitizing Brushes - Free Container!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Rubbing Alcohol For Sanitizing Brushes - Free Container!

Post by AvidLebon on Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:39 pm

I've been looking for something to put my rubbing alcohol in, something to conveniently dip my brushes in after I rinse them so they can dry and be sanitary, when I stumbled across this. It looks like it might work? One can't use an open container as the alcohol would evaporate too quickly (and smell pretty funky), but this looks like it's got a rubbery x top that will fold out of the way for your brush. I can't tell how big it is from the size though. The best part is they'll give you a sample for free to try out, so why not? The page is here:

http://info1.thermoscientific.com/forms/CMD_9mmVialClosures?ce=E.12CMD.CC113.G044670.04&gp=WMI-Web%20MS%20Internal

I don't know about the rest of you, but I have two email addresses; one for friends and family only, and one for spam. (I also have a third for business that auto-forwards to my primary friends and family one.) So if you have a spam acct, I'd probably use it to be safe. If anyone else gets one, let me know how you like it and if it works out for you! Just sharing cuz it's free and maybe someone else might benefit from this find too.
AvidLebon

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2012-09-16

http://avidlebon.deviantart.com/gallery/

Back to top Go down

Re: Rubbing Alcohol For Sanitizing Brushes - Free Container!

Post by Guest on Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:05 pm

I use baby food containers... from the dollar store. The lids are split, with a piece that rotates to create an opening that is half the lid, then slides back over to close it.

Smallish, holds enough alcohol to do the job, and the lid stops it from evapourating too quickly.

Bought a package of 6 for $1.50 I think.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:05 pm

I have no idea why that posted twice...

Last edited by Shannon Fennell on Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by fesspenter on Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:08 pm

Dear AvidLebon:
I have a tiny handmade ceramic bowl I bought at a pottery sale many years ago. I pour enough 70% isopropyl alcohol to immerse my brush. I have never noticed a smell emanating from the bowl. Nobody puts their nose that close to my kit.
I swish the brush through the surgical scrub brush bath compartment to remove the paint, shape it with my fingers, then plunge it into the alcohol pot and put it in a cup to dry. I have over 100 brushes, so by the time I need a brush, it is already dry.
It is like an assembly line.
I AM from Detroit, so assembly lines must be in my blood somewhere!
xoxo
fesspenter

Number of posts : 3333
Registration date : 2011-04-29

http://www.wix.com/lisaleyes/facepaintbylisaleyes

Back to top Go down

Post by Sweet Loretta on Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:14 pm

My husband is a scientist and we have lots of vials with those tops around. If I understand how you think they work it is not what you want.

The do make bottle for dispensing alcohol. There are a few types they all work by a pump action. They rerun $ to $12 depending on style and were you buy them. Amerikan Body Art has them.

http://amerikanbodyart.com/Cosmetic-Brushes-Applicators.html

Be careful may bristles will be instantly ruined by alcohol. Overall it will cause the bristles to loose shape, dry them out and shorten their life.
Sweet Loretta

Number of posts : 744
Registration date : 2008-09-25

http://www.sweet-loretta.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:27 pm

The alcohol is hard on brushes, yes. The sables particularly... I usually get one season out of them before they become "scruffy brushes". But that's what I have to use so it is a cost of doing business.

Washing the brushes with proper soap and reshaping after a gig help keeps them in reasonable shape for longer.

Back to top Go down

Post by Noella on Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:37 pm

I use a Menda bottle - when the top is closed, I can just press down once and it fills a small "well" with alcohol - run the brush through it and put it aside to dry... I can also use it to saturate a cotton ball/swab/wipe by having the top open, putting it on the top, and pressing down....

I have a separate one for water so that I'm only working with a brush full of water at once - saves on possible spills.
Noella

Number of posts : 532
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Miss Ronnie on Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:28 pm

I bought a similar dispensing bottle (made for nail polish remover) from a beauty supply store. It never works properly and has ended up leaking out all the alcohol if tipped, even when cap is tightly on.

Is Menda that much better, Noella?
Miss Ronnie

Number of posts : 3089
Registration date : 2011-08-28

http://www.wix.com/missronnie/fantasyfaces

Back to top Go down

Post by Noella on Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:54 pm

I store it sideways to travel - and store at home too ("locked" - it just twists to do it and then it can't pump) and I've never leaked either alcohol or water. Which means now that I think of it, it is only ever upright while I'm at a gig using it.... I always leave the top closed when I'm not actively dipping a brush in (I can flip it open with a brush in hand), then I pump to get liquid in the well, open it, dip, flip it closed. At the end of the gig, wipe out both wells, twist lock each, put away, done.... water and alcohol container always clean, not ever spilled, and even keeps bugs (and fingers out). I do have a spray bottle of each for if I need it (clips onto my vest) and a dropper bottle of each in a pocket, but the Menda's are where my brushes go....
Noella

Number of posts : 532
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Sweet Loretta on Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:32 pm

I also use Menda dispensing bottles, these are really good bottles. I have one very expensive one and then several of the plastic locking cap types. All good. There are lots of cheap versions get a good brand and you'll be happy.
Sweet Loretta

Number of posts : 744
Registration date : 2008-09-25

http://www.sweet-loretta.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top