Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Trying to buy locally!!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Trying to buy locally!!

Post by veelux on Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:28 pm

I just had an experience that is kind of confusing...so thought I would share.
I found a cool cotton candy product that comes from the US. ( I am in Canada)
The cost for the product is $1.25 each , in lots of 400. Yay! $500.00 total. Cool
So, I contact them to find out how I can order as their website doesn't have an option for shipping to Canada.
They email me back and tell me they have a distributor in my Province here in Canada(Alberta) Yay!
So Now I call him to get prices and he is going to charge me 1.95 each, + 5% GST
= around $780.00 !
Then I have to pay shipping (3 hours away) or go get them Crying or Very sad
So I contact the company and ask them if I can buy direct and he says "Sure" shipping is $ 80.00!
What??? So I order them and with shippping, duty and import taxes, I still saved over $200.00I am not sure what the Rep. is up to because I am sure he is getting his wholesale to sell here, but I can't afford to buy locally and that just feels wrong. Evil or Very Mad
I told the company how much he was asking and they didn't reply so not sure if they will do anything or not. I will just keep ordering Direct I guess. tongue
veelux

Number of posts : 1464
Registration date : 2012-02-11

http://www.glitznglowz.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Trying to buy locally!!

Post by Facepainting by Tina on Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:59 am

I hate when that happens, unfortunately it seems to happen a lot with me. I wind up ordering from other countries and even mail ordering from other states vs shopping in my small town, because it will cost me 5 or 6 times the amount to walk in a store locally and pick it up Sad

We had a local cake and party supply store here where I live, and I really wanted to help "support" them by shopping there, but their prices were WAY higher than what I could buy the items online, and they had lesser quality stuff than I used for my cake business....sooooo...I started to talk to the owners, gave them information on websites where they could order the stuff for MUCH cheaper than they were currently getting it, by the time they marked it up, it was a little more than if I ordered it myself...BUT I didn't have to order 10 of one color...I could run in at the drop of a hat and buy only 1...or 1 of each of the 20 colors...because they had them in stock. Wound up being hired to make cakes for their storefront and we formed a friendship that has lasted almost 10 yrs. now....their store has since shut down Sad but the friendship remains!

Maybe you could discuss with the rep the price you're getting and tell him you'd love to keep the business "local" if possible? Maybe he just doesn't know?? If he's not open to figuring it out to get you as a customer, then forget about it...but he might be??
Facepainting by Tina

Number of posts : 447
Registration date : 2012-09-12

http://www.tinassugarshack.com

Back to top Go down

Post by veelux on Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:52 pm

I agree Tina, I will discuss it with him for sure and see if he can at least give me the same price or there abouts. I know I am going to use lots of these items because they are so cool!
veelux

Number of posts : 1464
Registration date : 2012-02-11

http://www.glitznglowz.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top