Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Festivals and Faires.... How do you find them?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Festivals and Faires.... How do you find them?

Post by mslalahoney on Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:15 am

and... if they already have someone facepainting, is it okay to compete or is it, first come... to bad?

I'd like to do a few events but don't know where to start.

Renee
mslalahoney

Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2012-05-22

http://facepaintingbyrenee.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Festivals and Faires.... How do you find them?

Post by veelux on Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:13 am

I don't know about your area, but here I can google events in my province and I usually get a good list of them. There are some pages that are just for that purpose. I also watch Kijiji for upcoming events and have found some very good ones there. hope this helps.
veelux

Number of posts : 1464
Registration date : 2012-02-11

http://www.glitznglowz.com

Back to top Go down

Post by anniel on Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:59 am

I have found websites that list events...but my brain just took a short walk & I can't remember exactly what I googled to find them...
anniel

Number of posts : 2317
Registration date : 2010-12-27

http://entertainment-etc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sweet Loretta on Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:37 pm

Well that is a pretty open question. What type of event and what size are you prepared to handle.

ie Can you do a one day event that attracts 1500 people or a three day event that has 15,000?

Events do vary by size the bigger an event with the more potential to make money, the more it cost to get into an event and the more your will have to spend on a booth and displays.

Sometimes it can be first come but many like to have their repeat person. And it ticking off another painter is a bad way to start out. Your competitor is your best ally.

A good way to get into festivals in your area may be to start by working for an established artist. Its a great way to learn the ropes and get mentored. As you grow you know how to find the events right for you. But for now the more established painters have the big events in your area, and some hire painters to work for them.

Sweet Loretta

Number of posts : 744
Registration date : 2008-09-25

http://www.sweet-loretta.com

Back to top Go down

Post by mslalahoney on Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:54 pm

What does it look like when you work for an established artist... Do you use their supplies, do they pay you by face or by hour? I'm not interested in working at extremely large events, but I wouldn't mind working some smaller ones in my area.
mslalahoney

Back to top Go down

Post by Misha on Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:01 pm

Around here I can barely get another FPer to smile at me let alone work with me, lol.
Misha

Number of posts : 329
Registration date : 2011-10-24

Back to top Go down

Post by shadowdrawing on Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:02 pm

Misha - I'm so happy!!! I thought it was just me! I tend to get the "annoyed eyebrows" along with the lack of a smile.
shadowdrawing

Number of posts : 201
Registration date : 2012-08-19

http://www.shadowdrawing.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sweet Loretta on Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:53 pm

Generally when you work for another painter you use their supplies and either they pay you a percentage of the take or a take a percentage of what you make that day. Some might charge you a booth fee and take a percentage of what you make or a booth fee and you keep what you make. A lot depends on your skills and if you are painting their designs or it is open designs. Overall it has to be a win-win.

As for painters giving you the hairy eyeball, it may be worth a walk in the established painters shoes. There is a pleathra of new painters and we established seasoned professionals are having to deal with not simply an influx of new competition but much more.

I have bad experiences, as have so many established pros, in dealing with new locals. I have had them lie to event coordinators about me and events transpired, lie to other painters, sought out my clients out purposely to pitch my ideas, had event coordinators write them checks to steal money from me, use my website content, take my ads and make them their own.... My stories are like many established true pros. We have worked hard and now are experiencing not just competition but very unethical practices. So bear with us.

If you are intent on making it you have to network and pay your dues... No one taught us to face paint. We laid the road. We have spent thousands to learn not been spoon fed from the internet. Most of us, do this full time and have done this for many years and worked hard to build out skills and businesses. If you are new in town you have to let other painters know it, not simply compete. This is really how many, many established pros are feeling (we talk).

If you smile and approach another painter the smile will come back. If not walk on. The real pros will greet you. They may not be thrilled to see new painters but they will be nice to you. And if you approach the top pro in your area one on one outside an event and ask for help most will help. They want you to find your own way not take their events, clients and ride their coat tails.

Festivals often have a painter who has been there for years, and it is hard to unseat them, even if you are better. Look for new events, charity events where you can charge (pancake breakfasts and such), these are good ways to get into experiencing events. And do ask established pros if they need help, it will buy goodwill, good karma as opposed to trying to get their event. There are dozens of places I can think of a new painter could approach. Painters like me will pass on some of these as they are too small and our calendars too full. As you the grow, there are still plenty of big events, but you have to seek those and make connection.

Last week I had two festival promoters calling me. One from our of state who has several events they want me for... I can not do them all and they a mid-to-big events, so networking is critical. And it is the new kid on the block who should make contact first. After all you did you homework right? You knew others where in your working area when you started.
Sweet Loretta

Number of posts : 744
Registration date : 2008-09-25

http://www.sweet-loretta.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Jayde on Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:11 pm

You rock Loretta!
Lady Jayde

Number of posts : 1844
Registration date : 2009-08-10

http://www.imaginastic-facepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by rthling on Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:41 pm

Thank you, Loretta!
I am still fairly new, but have done everything I could to network with local painters. Only one has responded and now we sent clients each other's way whenever we are unavailable.
Such a blessing to network and have a local friend in the industry!

As for working festivals together, we have split the booth fee in half, used our own paints and pictures, and each kept what we made for the day. I'm faster, so I can make more than her, but it's not competition that way.
rthling

Number of posts : 1830
Registration date : 2010-10-05

http://www.fancyfacesbydiane.com

Back to top Go down

Post by mslalahoney on Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:45 am

Awesome information... I'm in the San Francisco bay area... Anyone know where I can find the experienced professional painters here? By the way... you guys on FPF are a wonderful place to get information.
mslalahoney

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:58 am

Check the online directories to find painters in your area... There are several.

Really all you need to do is Google "Face painter San Francisco" and you'll get a large list...

Back to top Go down

Post by Misha on Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:21 pm

Emailed another painter in the area that I've actually seen painting (the others seem to only exist online), it was a week ago with no response. I introduced myself and stressed I was being friendly. Asked what events she normally does so I can avoid applying to them. No response. Sigh, I know I'm new, I know I'm competition, but I'd rather have had her respond with a, "Go to hell!" than nothing.

As for finding festivals I just spent a few hours searching the other day myself! Start with fairs and festivals in whatever state you're in. Search individual city and towns parks and rec depts. for town events planned. Try local college websites for links to weekend events. Google Ren Faires and Harvest festivals. You'll be amazed how with a little time invested they start to fall into place! Good luck!
Misha

Number of posts : 329
Registration date : 2011-10-24

Back to top Go down

Post by amylady222 on Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:45 pm

I didn't read the other posts--so sorry if I repeat---if you live in the bay area, start by looking local--call the chambers of commerce, google "CA Bay area events" and start making phone calls, or visiting locations, or mailing out flyers---contact any and every lead.

Also contact any child friendly area with in a couple miles of you--daycares, schools, churches, play places, and child friendly restraunts---there are literally endless possibilities!

If you have others in the area--(which I am SURE you do) look in the phone book--look up online, contact them and introduce yourself---get a Jam together (a group of painters coming together to paint, share ideas, and have fun!)---that way you know which ones are friendly and which ones are not.
Random: my bro lives in that area---can't remember which city!? I will have to figure that out. Smile

Have fun!!
amylady222

Number of posts : 1176
Registration date : 2012-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post by a face painting mom on Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:53 pm

Like what Loretta had to say! I work with one of her buddies, the great Robbie Hay, who was a pioneer in the buisness too. There is more than likely, someone who was a pioneer in the business in your area; find them, and your life will be much fuller for knowing them. I am paying dues right now, working some less desireable festivals has lead to some very good ones for me that I came by without stepping on anyone, and avoiding the gigs that I know have been long term stands for my fellow area painters feels like the right thing to do.

As for finding events, a google search of fairs and festivals + your city is a good bet. Don't over look the smaller communities around your area, in the far suburbs, or small cities surrounding your metro, they can be nice festivals with good foot traffic, and may be the event of the season for the area, while they can usually only handle one painter, I found no lack of these without painters already. Writing the event coordinator and asking if they already have an established face painter is another option (and asking for a discount, because you are entertainment Very Happy) some will tell you if they do if you apply, some will just take your money, but asking is going to help you make a decison about what to do and what to pass on. Some established festivals may not have a painter, and you can blaze the path, and if you do, you will appreciate the event coordinator looking out for you and other painters checking to see before they take the plunge.

Anticipated foot traffic is something to look at too, it would be nice to check with the other painter to find out if they think that the festival will support two, some will without any problem at all, but you should ask the painter who is there, not the event coordinator, who really does not know if the painter is slammed or not.

I really think that what goes around, comes around, eventually, so treating other painters the way that you want to be treated is a good thing, even if you have not met them yet. Stay in the business, and you will meet the other painters in your area, and having associates instead of competition is a wonderful place to be. Let the craigs list, uninsured start up using acrylics be your competition, and treat other professional painters in your area like the gold that they are, and most of them will do the very same for you. The better they are, the better you are, and the more money all the true professionals in your area can make!

That said, there is plenty of work out there, you just have to turn over some rocks and look for the places that need you. There will be some!

a face painting mom

Number of posts : 1913
Registration date : 2011-07-13

http://www.afacepaintingmom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenn Doll on Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:25 pm

I only know of one other painter in my area. I met her when she painted at my nephews birthday... Before I really got into painting.

She was so nice... I am an event planner as my "real" job and have hired her twice for my corprate events. If I were to get a call for a date I was already booked, I would totally call her...

I suggest finding out more about your local peeps. Smile
Jenn Doll

Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2012-03-12

https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Landen-Road-Designs/4471074784

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelley Bellefontaine on Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:00 pm

I would like to give Loretta a great big hug! She has said it perfectly. So has a facepainting mom.It is all about the approach. Very Happy . I much prefer associates and friends, I have enough competition who play dirty. The problem is this industry attracts just as many unethical types as it does the nice ones. Established pros have all had our share of dealing with nasty painters, so it can make us a little "gun-shy" so to speak! hang in there, be yourselves , treat others with respect and kindness, it will come back to you Very Happy
Shelley Bellefontaine

Number of posts : 236
Registration date : 2009-05-05

http://www.you-name-it.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top