Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

So this 'course' is no good...

View previous topic View next topic Go down

So this 'course' is no good...

Post by Shiranshoku on Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:56 am

Hi everyone!

I've just introduced myself in the introduction thread (makes sense!) but I already want to swamp you all with questions!

I'm using the search button too, no worries...

So I enrolled in a course close by, figuring that since I can't even hold a brush properly, I'd need help. IRL.

I had my first lesson yesterday and I was bummed. **Warning: rant coming up**
- The teacher had never heard of splitcakes or one stroke
- He won't teach us techniques, he wants us to discover for ourselves, to be creative. So we're not learning anything that can help us create a face that will make a kid happy, we just randomly did some sponging and brushwork and afterwards had to present to the rest of the class what 'we saw' in those 'random dots of colour' as an 'exercise for our imagination'.
- The materials are disgusting. We use very old, cracked and dirty Snazaroo palettes that aren't properly cleaned afterwards. The brushes are equally disgusting with bristles in all directions.
- The materials aren't clean: he said all he did was wipe the palettes with some paper towels, and give the brushes a quick rinse. At least the sponges get washed...
- It cost 150 , which is 200 US dollar. I have 4 more 'lessons' to go.

Unfortunately, I can't get my money back. I'm going to try, though, but I'm afraid it won't work...

/end of rant.

So anyway, what I wanted to ask...
I'd like to practice basic brushstrokes and sponging techniques on my arm or thigh. Are there any videos out there that I could refer to? I have literally no idea what I'm doing, lol.

Thanks in advance!

Shiranshoku

Shiranshoku

Number of posts : 83
Registration date : 2013-01-31

Back to top Go down

Re: So this 'course' is no good...

Post by Kammy on Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:41 pm

Oh my goodness, it sounds like *I* could do a better job, and I've only been face painting for 5 months! Perhaps he saw a quick buck to be made, knows very little and is just making excuses to sit back and do nothing?

If he's not actually teaching you, then you should surely be entitled to a refund? After all, isn't that "experience" and "teaching" what you signed up to expect???

Really angry that someone's ripping people off this way. I hope you get your money back. In the meantime, I think Lisa Joy Young has some basic brush stroke and technique tutorials up on YouTube. You might try those, if you haven't seen them? Heather from Silly Farm has some good ones too, under the YouTube ID "sillyheatherb". All worth checking out.

Kammy x
Kammy

Number of posts : 1408
Registration date : 2012-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Shiranshoku on Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:56 pm

Hi Kammy,

Because it's a short course of only 5 lessons, it's in their TOS that I can't get a refund. And I agreed to those TOS when I paid for them, so I don't really see a way out.

It really bugs me, because it's a pretty big firm that does courses in various subjects all over the country, so I expected decent lessons... If I think about the amount of supplies I could've bought to get myself going for that money, I could just cry...

Thank you for the helpful tips, though! Youtube it is Smile.
Shiranshoku

Back to top Go down

Post by Creabella on Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:54 pm

What a louzy course that is! YouTube is a great way to get done idea's of techniques! Just 'Google' on YouTube ! And you will find tons of video's!

Creabella

Number of posts : 1218
Registration date : 2012-11-02

https://www.creabellafaceart.nl

Back to top Go down

Post by Affordable Face Magic on Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:18 pm

OK, can't get your $ back..live n learn (not from that instructor). Most of us will agree w/the previous advice. LJY & Heather are my "Internet Mentors". If you're on Facebook, there are a wealth of GROUPS to join:
(Some are "CLOSED" which means you PM me or someone else & we invite you to join)... of course, FPF is the bomb!!!

ONE STROKE FACE pAINTING (OPEN)
FACE PAINTING TUTORIALS (OPEN)
FAST FACES-FACE PAINTING IN 3 MINUTES (CLOSED
FACE AND BODY PAINTERS (CLOSED)
FACE PAINTERS FAST POUNCER DESIGN (CLOSED(
CHRISTMAS FACE PAINTING IDEAS (CLOSED)
FACE PAINTERS KITS (CLOSED0
JEWEL JUNKIE FACES (OPEN)
BUSINESS AND MARKETING FOR FACE AND BODY ARTISTS (CLOSED)
MONSTERS GHOULS AND SCARY THINGS (OPEN)
HALLOWEEN FACE PAINTING (CLOSED)
FACE PAINTING WITH ARTY CAKES AND SUSHI ROLLS (OPEN)
GLITTERFEST - GLITTER TATTOO & BODY BLING ARTIST'S FORUM (CLOSED)
BLACKLIGHT /UV FACE PAINTING/MAKEUP ARTIST DESIGNS (OPEN)

Affordable Face Magic

Number of posts : 839
Registration date : 2011-09-28

http://www.affordablefacemagic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Affordable Face Magic on Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:39 pm

BTW, Metina, here @ the Face Paint Foum Shop, has most of your supplies at a great price AND ships qiuckly.
Affordable Face Magic

Back to top Go down

Post by mamakatrien on Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:30 pm

What a bummer - Is he organising this course privately or was it an organisation who booked him ( in which case I would def. inform them of his malpractice)
Just to make sure I avoid this course, where was it advertised?
mamakatrien

Number of posts : 486
Registration date : 2011-10-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Shiranshoku on Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:04 pm

@ Pat: I'll live Smile Thank you for the great advice! I have been checking out the forumshop, but it'll have to wait. 150 is a lot of money.

@ Katrien: it was a course by Syntra Genk. I have informed them, but they didn't seem to mind. Meh.
Shiranshoku

Back to top Go down

Post by Carmen (Sweet Illusions) on Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:07 pm

@ Affordable face Magic, Can please join the fast faces-face painting in 3 minutes. My fb is www.facebook.com/sweetillusions.nijmegen.

@Shiranshoku, that is just terrible that someone can get away with that.
I'm from Holland and I have taken a course here also for 4 lessons al of them for 2,5 hours and i paid 75 and here I learned alot.
The first lesson was all about blending colours, teardrop, swirl, hearts and starbursts. The other three lessons we learned to do basic figures, like tigers, butterfly's, spiderman etc..

I can't believe that you paid all that money for just to figure it out yourself in a group. I mean you could do that with a group of friends and still have the money in your pocket!!
I hope that the other three lessons wil be better, so that you at least learn something.

Good luck
Carmen (Sweet Illusions)

Number of posts : 110
Registration date : 2012-12-04

http://www.sweet-illusions.nl

Back to top Go down

Post by Affordable Face Magic on Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:22 pm

Sweet Illusions, I sent you a message on FB.
Pat
Affordable Face Magic

Back to top Go down

Post by MissHeidi on Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:04 pm

Pat - thank you for the list of groups on FB - I knew of a few, but was missing out on many more!!
MissHeidi

Number of posts : 275
Registration date : 2012-07-30

http://www.colormewildfacepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by eva on Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:42 pm

Fabatv is pretty cool for beginners and at 30 bucks for a month, I think it just can't be beat. I love mark Reid's and Marcella murads brushstroke tutorials on there.
eva

Number of posts : 1108
Registration date : 2008-12-13

http://www.cincinnatifacepainters.com

Back to top Go down

Post by veelux on Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:19 am

I would be pretty steamed if that happened. I would keep complaining to them because it isn't right and they shouldn't blow it off like that. They should reimburse you or get someone who knows what they are doing at least ( and decent supplies) Yikes, so sorry that happened.
veelux

Number of posts : 1464
Registration date : 2012-02-11

http://www.glitznglowz.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kammy on Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:35 am

I second AffordableFaceMagic about the FB groups. I've learned so much from them, and they're very welcoming and warm for the most part. :-)

Since you say you're new, might I also suggest New Face Painters Help Group on FB? They're a great bunch, and extremely friendly. I'm sure you'd be welcome there.
Kammy

Number of posts : 1408
Registration date : 2012-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Jayde on Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:36 am

I personally would be very vocal about this on the social media front and any review sites for the company that is perpetrating this fraud...if for no other reason that to forwarn other people. I would definitly petition for a refund because he isn't teach you to be a professional painter at all! It seems that now adays everybody and their mother wants to be an instructor and it sickens me. I don't know which is worse, those who do it to scam money or those who do it for ego boost payments.

I would definitely get more vocal about it...they aren't delivering what your'e paying for so there has to be a loophole. Can you find a solicitor who'll offer a consult to see if you can get out of this via legal means?
Lady Jayde

Number of posts : 1844
Registration date : 2009-08-10

http://www.imaginastic-facepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by mamakatrien on Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:05 pm

Ah, the syntra courses... I took two of those (for free) when I was working - can't remember if they were totally free or if my company paid for me to do them.

One was on time management and the other on business communication. They were both terrible. Absolutely lousy courses with no professionalism at all, it was like a course for schoolkids on how to use an agenda and how to use the phone, basically. AND they took 3 days each to teach this. LOL.

VDAB has similar courses, but those are waaay better!
mamakatrien

Registration date : 2011-10-21

Back to top Go down

Post by ninaschau on Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:27 pm

I second Lady Jayde, give them a bad review wherever you can, and now that you have found the forum, hopefully you get lots of input here before spending big money, plus, we learn so much just from each other with pictures and contests and challenges
ninaschau

Registration date : 2012-08-03

http://www.fantasyfacebyNina,com

Back to top Go down

Post by JennyNixe on Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:20 am

This is a link to a brush basics tutorial by Heather Banks (co-owner of Silly Farm).
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gGac-NN_sZ8

She has a channel on You Tube, sillyheatherb, and Lisa Joy Young's channel is also very good.

I have FABATV and I love it. Marcella does some really good basic brush exercises.
JennyNixe

Number of posts : 606
Registration date : 2012-10-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Shiranshoku on Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:50 pm

Thanks everyone for your reactions and encouragement! The second class luckily wasn't as bad... Since I'm stuck. Tried to get a refund but it won't happen.

I've gotten some basic paints at home so I can practice!
Shiranshoku

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:50 pm

i'm so bummed or you!
i had an art teacher that taught watercolor that way?!
so...i know the whole see the image thing.

fabatv is a great bargain...not just for beginners, but for everyone
i watched wiser teacg graffiti last fri night

at only 30.00 a month...you can't go wrong
good luck...maybe you can network with the other students...and who knows where that will take you?!

ttfn
rebecca
ox

Back to top Go down

Post by fairyfox on Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:30 pm

Or better yet, get them to hire you to teach! Smile
Good attitude to just see what you can get out of it!
fairyfox

Number of posts : 351
Registration date : 2011-04-22

http://jacanaparties.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:40 pm

if you found the class in something like the hearning annex...then you totally could post a workshop there!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top