Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Bad luck and venting

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Bad luck and venting

Post by PaintedFaces on Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:02 am

I grizzled today that I hate everything I've ever painted. I don't really, although I know there's vast room for improvement given how long I've been painting now. Really need to get that FABATV sub and practice way more. So there's my NY Resolution, I guess.

My life is usually pretty calm and injury free, I don't play sports or, as a rule, do crazy stunts. But, it's been a bit of a stink couple of months. Some of you might remember I concussed myself falling off a horse late last year. Then I dropped out of sight to have a meltdown over my birthday. (silly, I know, but there you go).

Well, on Monday I lost control of my car on a wet road and spun and rolled, crashing onto the roof, then the driver's side and winding up hung on a 45 degree angle on a fence in a ditch. I have bruises the size of saucers but other than that and whiplash, I walked away.... well, after I crawled out the driver's side window anyway. And now I'm bursting into tears every time I go to get into a car and sometimes just for no apparent reason. Since I live 30 min from anywhere, this is not acceptable. I have a fair to paint at tomorrow. My husband is going to drop me off and pick me up, since my car is a complete write off. I'm trying to feel really grateful to have walked away from what was a pretty serious accident, but it's thrown me badly.

Thanks for listening. Maybe venting will help.
PaintedFaces

Number of posts : 465
Registration date : 2012-06-29

http://www.paintedfaces.co.nz

Back to top Go down

Re: Bad luck and venting

Post by A New Face on Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:54 am

Good Luck!!! I am happy to hear you are ok. Having been in a bad accident myself when I was young I understand the hesitancy to get back behind the wheel. I wish you luck and send my prayers.
A New Face

Number of posts : 487
Registration date : 2012-11-05

http://anewfacenikkiwalters.wix.com/anewface

Back to top Go down

Post by JJJJJ on Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:15 am

Kara - You are going to feel okay and better again. You just need time to process it all. Keep moving through each day, and yeah - look at everything in front of you with new eyes. It's all a gift, especially since you were so lucky, really. Life sure is a roller coaster! Glad you are basically okay, and you WILL feel better again. Very Happy

JJJJJ

Number of posts : 1053
Registration date : 2011-08-26

Back to top Go down

Post by TinafromNY on Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:25 am

I was the same way after a bad car accident years ago. Just force yourself to drive, the anxiety will slowly lessen. Glad you're OK :-)
TinafromNY

Number of posts : 993
Registration date : 2012-07-05

http://www.facefanaticfacepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by l!zzie on Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:05 am

Can't really help, but sending you a BIG E-hug!!
l!zzie

Number of posts : 2256
Registration date : 2011-09-28

http://www.detiskwant.nl

Back to top Go down

Post by fesspenter on Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:07 am

Dear Kara:
That feeling of not doing a good job is completely normal.
I don't know if you have noticed this, but, that feeling of doubt arrives on our doorstep at the moment when our eye and quest for beauty becomes greater than our skillset at the moment.
You have arrived at a time in your life when your work is about to take a leap. Some people give up when they get to this part. Keep pushing through. You will get there, just in time to get to the next time when you feel dissatisfied with your work. It is always like this, as long as you are striving towards improvement.

It is completely normal to feel discombobulated after an accident.
There was a moment in your life on Monday,
where your whole world was rocked in 10-15 seconds.
You were driving.
There was the crash.
You were changed.
It takes time to assimilate all this information into yourself. Take your Omega 3-6-9 fatty acids, they may help with the feelings your brain is sending you after such a life changing moment. Arnica gel will help with the bruising and the whiplash.
I am so glad you only sustained bruising and whiplash, (Eeeeewww, what an icky thing for me to say. Don't read that sentence.) it could have been worse.

Keep pushing through the feelings of doubt.
Your paint brush will catch up with your new discerning eye.

Sending you
xoxox
fesspenter

Number of posts : 3330
Registration date : 2011-04-29

http://www.wix.com/lisaleyes/facepaintbylisaleyes

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie on Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:01 am

Pretty much what Lisa said!! And (((((hugs)))))!!!!!!! You will work through it and come out stronger than ever! Try some meditation techniques to ease your mind...it really does help! I love you
Sandie

Number of posts : 431
Registration date : 2012-09-19

http://www.imaginebysandie.com

Back to top Go down

Post by rthling on Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:54 pm

Aww, Kara, that sounds awful! I'm so glad you are okay.

Give yourself time to recover from the crash, both physically and mentally.
rthling

Number of posts : 1829
Registration date : 2010-10-05

http://www.fancyfacesbydiane.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Denise Cold on Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:05 pm

Wow! That is scary! I got into three in a row (not nearly bad as yours but pretty bad) and it took years to trust other drivers. Speedy recovery!

D.
Denise Cold

Number of posts : 2717
Registration date : 2011-04-06

http://www.denisecold.com

Back to top Go down

Post by amylady222 on Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:07 pm

have you seen anyone about Post Traumatic Stress disorder?

It does funny things--even years after my dads accident I still don't have my short term memory back.

You can regain control of your life, but be patient with yourself and take small steps. Sit in the driver seat for a while. Next time turn on the car while in the driver seat. Next time drive to the end of your driveway. and so on.

You can do this! You are a strong and amazing person to overcome what you have with the horse riding fall.

praying and good energy being sent for/to you!!
amylady222

Number of posts : 1176
Registration date : 2012-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post by PaintedFaces on Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:32 pm

Thank you all of you for your thoughts and words of encouragement. Gah, you make me cry! I keep telling myself I should count myself lucky to still be here. The insurance assessor looked at the car and said the same thing. Erk.

The fair yesterday was hard, even though it was quiet. Normally I'd be bummed about making very little money, but I think I'm happy it wasn't busy and at least I've come away with a little extra cash. I was an achy zombie for the rest of the day. I'm feeling ok today though.

I don't know if you have noticed this, but, that feeling of doubt arrives on our doorstep at the moment when our eye and quest for beauty becomes greater than our skillset at the moment.

This... I had never ever noticed this. Please let this be true! I used to feel proud of my painting and now all I see is bleh. Onward and upward!
PaintedFaces

Number of posts : 465
Registration date : 2012-06-29

http://www.paintedfaces.co.nz

Back to top Go down

Post by fesspenter on Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:07 pm

PaintedFaces wrote:

This... I had never ever noticed this. Please let this be true! I used to feel proud of my painting and now all I see is bleh. Onward and upward!

I never noticed this cycle of dissatisfaction/output improving until I became a trainer for my daughter's hockey team. Accomplished skaters would begin to fall over and over again. They would get up and try again. After a few terrible practices and games their skating skills would improve drastically in speed, or agility in turning, or dangling the puck up the whole sheet of ice with two opponents on them. I saw players who consistently scored goals begin to miss the net. When I asked them what they thought was going on.... They all said approximately the same thing... They thought they were not shooting as well as they could and that feeling started BEFORE they started missing the net. When they started scoring again, they would do it differently. They would try things they had never tried, lifting the puck, almost effortlessly from an outside viewers gaze.
I finally realized that I was the same. I would be going along painting and I would suddenly be dissatisfied with my work. It was my equivalent of falling on the ice. I would try to analyze what I needed to work on and I would suck. I would make blobby plops instead of roses. I would practice. I would try new things, and then suddenly... It felt like I could hit the back of the net with my puck. It goes in waves. It is a cycle that I have noticed a lot over the past 15 years. I think because I am striving to get better all the time, I am pickier about my own work. You are not alone. I have been working alongside some great painters who just decided they were not good enough anymore. I wish I had known about the feeling of being analytical (critiquing my work instead of criticizing myself), looking for what is wrong so I can make it right, instead of beating myself up over my art work. I would have shared that feeling with my fellow artists.
Keep pushing. You are creating beauty and making people happy.

Happy Painting!
fesspenter

Number of posts : 3330
Registration date : 2011-04-29

http://www.wix.com/lisaleyes/facepaintbylisaleyes

Back to top Go down

Post by mamakatrien on Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:43 am

fesspenter wrote:That feeling of not doing a good job is completely normal.

This is very true Lisa, it is a necessary step in the learning process of mastering any art. When I was young I went to the "académie des beaux-arts" for years. Classes always started out by teaching you how to observe, look at things, and then next recognising your own and other's mistakes. It is frustrating. And humbling. They make you look at the Great Artists with an eye for minute detail.

An then they teach you the mantra: I can't do this - YET. But if I practice I will be able to.

If anyting it taught me infinate patience and persistence. Just keep going, if you see the next level, you're almost there mastering it.
mamakatrien

Number of posts : 486
Registration date : 2011-10-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top