Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

So many questions, so little time~

View previous topic View next topic Go down

So many questions, so little time~

Post by DigitalDiva on Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:49 pm

Hello!
So I would love to start practicing with my face painting, however, I am not quite quite sure where to start. I have siblings and a few young neighbors that would be willing to be some practice for me (trust me, the five year old next door would want nothing more than have her face painted). I have one major issue: what paint to use D:! I heard some people recommened Snazaroo for beginners, and after looking up prices kits did not seem too terrible. Are there other brands outh there that won't burn a hole in my pocket, but decent enough to practice with? What about where to buy? Any specific websites or chains that are nice and reliable? What about brushes? should I worry about using special ones in particular? What about sponges? I probably could fill up pages upon pages with questions, but I think I will spare you guys for now XD.
Any information is benificial and will be very much appreciated! I'm so new at this I don't know how to start! Thank you so much in advanced! Smile <3

DigitalDiva

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2013-02-21

Back to top Go down

Re: So many questions, so little time~

Post by fesspenter on Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:48 am

Dear DigitalDiva:
Always practice with the same paint that you use at gigs.
Snaz is a good brand, and I have never reacted to any Snazaroo products. I am sensitive to make up, perfume and face paint, so I have to use good quality paint.
I practiced on my children until they would run screaming from me when I pulled out my paint.
I replaced my family with a practice head.

I purchase my paint here on The FacePaintForumShop. Click on the colorful rectangle marked FacePaintForumShop and that takes you into the Shop. Shipping is fast and the prices are competitive.

As for the paint, I use a combination of Wolfe, TAG, Diamond F/X, MAC, Kryolan Aquacolor, FAB, Ben Nye, Paradise.

For line work:
Wolfe Black
Wolfe White

For bases I use a combination of any and all of the above. I have been purchasing primarily TAG. If you are looking for a palette, try the Diamond F/X palette. The colors are manufactured in the same factory in China as Wolfe & TAG.

There are multiple threads on this Forum regarding "Best Brushes", "Best Sponges" Favorite One Stroke Colors". Have fun reading.

Happy Painting!
fesspenter

Number of posts : 3330
Registration date : 2011-04-29

http://www.wix.com/lisaleyes/facepaintbylisaleyes

Back to top Go down

Post by kingsmeadmama on Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:55 am

I think Lisa answered your questions really well. I don't have a whole lot more to add. I am very new to the game, and like snaz for bases (like the red part of spiderman's mask) but not for the line work. I've got DFX for that, and quite like it.

there are a TONNE of great threads here if you search them, you'll find most of your questions have been answered in great detail Smile
kingsmeadmama

Number of posts : 351
Registration date : 2012-10-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Valerie A on Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:12 pm

Yes, like Lisa said: use the forum shop right here!
I used snaz at first...and was VERY frustrated about my linework! Definitely get Wolfe or DFX for linework (I prefer Wolfe myself.)
I asked Metina about making that box bigger (FacePaintForumShop) or more obvious somehow...I was on here awhile before I realized it was even there. And I notice lots of other new people don't see it either.
In fact I was referred to the shop and stumbled across the forum, but that banner just didn't jump out at me. scratch
Maybe it needs a big "BUY PAINT HERE" with a big fat arrow. lol!
Valerie A

Number of posts : 1035
Registration date : 2012-07-18

Back to top Go down

Post by JennyNixe on Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:58 am

Last I checked, Metina does not carry small Snaz palettes. Michaels does and, if you look online, you can find a coupon for at least 40% off any regularly priced item. This should allow you to buy a Snazaroo kit with a fair number of colors for about $12. Use the extra $8 to buy a small set of taklon paint brushes, with small and medium round brushes, maybe a flat or two. If you have another $3, pick up some artist sponges (the yellow foam disks, NOT sea sponges) that come 3 to a pack.

Another option (also at Michaels) is to get the Klutz Face Painting book, which comes with a basic palette of Wolfe paints. Wolfe paints are a slightly different consistency than Snaz, and are better for line work. With the coupon, the book/kit should cost about the same as the Snaz kit. The brushes and sponges would be the same.

Or you could make separate trips and use coupons each time, get both, and have a nice beginner set up for about $35-40. This would allow you to try kind of the two main types of face paint, Snaz (which is great for bases and blending and is similar to Paradise) and Wolfe (which is waxier and excellent for linework, like DFX and Tag).

I think most folks use a variety of brands, depending on color choice and what they're using it for. Personally, I started with Snaz and then moved on to Wolfe. Now I've got some of just about everything. When you want to make a bigger investment, the Forum shop is definitely the way to go. (I'm not trying to undermine Metina here, but for a teen who is just starting out, buying local is the best way to start, IMO.)

Welcome to an incredibly fun hobby! Feel free to PM me if you have questions!

Last edited by JennyNixe on Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:04 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added some stuff)
JennyNixe

Number of posts : 606
Registration date : 2012-10-07

Back to top Go down

Post by DigitalDiva on Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:15 pm

Thank you all soo much for all the tips and support guys Very Happy!
I will be considering all of the awesome tips given to me. I appreciate it Smile
Now just to get on over to Michaels and see if I can get some of the supplies and get started!

DigitalDiva

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2013-02-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top