Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

How much space do I need?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

How much space do I need?

Post by Goolie on Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:51 pm

Question So I have been a "lurker" here for quite awhile. I haven't posted much, sorry about that! I am thinking about doing a craft show and it's a two day event. A 6ft.x4ft. booth space is $75.00. Would this be enough room for painting? And two, is it worth the cost of the booth to do this? Thanks for the help!
Goolie

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2009-11-11

Back to top Go down

Re: How much space do I need?

Post by fesspenter on Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:07 pm

Dear Goolie:
Welcome to the Forum!
While I have never had much luck at a Craft Show, as there are very few children there...
The space is very small.
Do you stand or sit to paint?
If there is a lineup, where do your patrons stand?

I feel Craft Shows would be great if I could convince the adults & Vendors to get their faces painted.
$75 might be reasonable over two days only if you are busy.

What is the price range you are charging and how long does it take you to paint the average face? You do not have to answer my question on this Forum, as these are questions you may ask yourself to figure out if you would make a profit.

Happy Painting!
fesspenter

Number of posts : 3333
Registration date : 2011-04-29

http://www.wix.com/lisaleyes/facepaintbylisaleyes

Back to top Go down

Post by a face painting mom on Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:43 pm

The only craft show that could be worth it would be the ones that are attached to elementary schools and where there are childrens events going on. I do one every year where there is a kids gallery (they are the crafters and sell things in a special kids area) and where there is a stage set up and every piano teacher and dance school in town performs, so there is a constant stream of kids coming in and out, and most get a little pocket cash to keep them busy while mom and dad whatch Suzzie play chopsitcks and Henry do Takando. 75 is a lot for a craft show, especialy if you are talking just a few hours. You might try to negotiate some free space as "entertainemtent" it is always worth asking, all they can do is say no!
a face painting mom

Number of posts : 1913
Registration date : 2011-07-13

http://www.afacepaintingmom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Goolie on Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:53 pm

The $75.00 is for both days, 8 hours each day. I am really just looking to make some contacts and pass out some cards for future bookings. I am not sure that this is the right fit for me.
Goolie

Back to top Go down

Post by a face painting mom on Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:33 pm

That is a long craft show! If you are doing the event for advertisment, that is a decent investment for 16 hours, it is a good price, for that time frame. But...is it your target market? If it is, it is probably worth it, even if you are not busy, but if the traffic is not going to be heavy in young families who want to do birthday parties (or what ever your market is) then probably not. I would do a 4 hour event for 50 bucks when the traffic is in my target and there are going to be enough kids there to keep me busy the whole time. I would still try to get it for less, I always ask, you never know, and send them some pictures so they can advertise that you will be there, they may be able to justify lowering your rent if they think that you can bring in more traffic to thier event. Worth a try.
a face painting mom

Number of posts : 1913
Registration date : 2011-07-13

http://www.afacepaintingmom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TinafromNY on Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:57 pm

I think that although the space is small, it's big enough for a table and chairs, so OK. $75. seems like a lot for a space that small, even for two days. Lots of local craft fairs around here just charge $10 and never more than $25 (I'm upstate NY). I agree that there won't be many kids at a craft show probably. I suggest spending the money at a better venue, like maybe a school function that's public
TinafromNY

Number of posts : 993
Registration date : 2012-07-05

http://www.facefanaticfacepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Goolie on Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:06 pm

I think you guys are right, thanks for the advice. I think I will pass on this one.
Goolie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sweet Loretta on Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:42 pm

Do not compar3 space costs with states too far from you. The is no way in California anyone would let you into any size, typ3 or such show for $10 or $25. You need to compare it with like shows in your own area.

Too without noting crowd size and type no one can answer if $75 for two days is a good investment or not. There are factors to consider. Is 4x6 feet enough to work in for a small community show - yes. Would it be enough for a crown of 4 0r 10,000, no.

You have to do homework on events, and most all events take time to build and be profitable. A craft show or huge fair - either could go bust the first year, break even another and a make a killer profit a few years on....

If you are new it is prob a good show to get your feet wet.
Sweet Loretta

Number of posts : 744
Registration date : 2008-09-25

http://www.sweet-loretta.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top