Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Set me straight

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Set me straight

Post by granola on Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:18 pm

Quick question fellow Face painters, found out there is a clown that does Face painting in my neighborhood from some friends. Went home and quickly looked her up and sent her a message for a date. i feel like a stalker now, hope she doesn't think I'm a weirdo, but I got soo excited that there was a fellow Face painter/ballon twister in the neighborhood, I wanna pick her brain! Was this a weird/bold move? scratch
granola

Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2012-11-17

Back to top Go down

Re: Set me straight

Post by Erica's Funny Faces on Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:21 pm

Not at all Smile I contacted a local painter the same way when I ffirst started (not long ago lol) and we talk often, share ideas, pass jobs to each other, etc. I had a face painter contact me the same way and I hope to meet them both soon to jam! It is exciting when you find people with common interests...
Erica's Funny Faces

Number of posts : 1306
Registration date : 2012-08-20

http://www.thefunnyfacepainter.com

Back to top Go down

Post by granola on Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:28 pm

Smile Ahh, thank you Erica, I feel at ease now, can go on about my day. Was second guessing myself there for a second What a Face
granola

Back to top Go down

Post by Erica's Funny Faces on Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:34 pm

I, however, have a serious clown phobia and will not be reaching out to any clowns. They are friendly enough to talk to via FPF and crazy talented but I can't fraternize with them when they are in character...I wish I could get over it because I am sure I will be booked alongside one someday.
Erica's Funny Faces

Number of posts : 1306
Registration date : 2012-08-20

http://www.thefunnyfacepainter.com

Back to top Go down

Post by fesspenter on Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:37 pm

I have met a nice team of great fellow face painters through this Forum.
Tip of the hat to Face Painting by Jessica, and Ruggabug. We can call each other to give away jobs. What I am looking forward to is getting the opportunity to work as a team with any and all of them. I feel lucky to have others around me that I can share my happy addiction. It is also good to make acquaintances with magicians, balloon twisters, glitter tattoo artists, so that you can create opportunities for add-ons for your events.
Also, more friends to share bling addictions with.

Happy Painting!
fesspenter

Number of posts : 3325
Registration date : 2011-04-29

http://www.wix.com/lisaleyes/facepaintbylisaleyes

Back to top Go down

Post by TinafromNY on Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:51 pm

Hi Granola,
I don't think it's weird at all, it was a good move. One caution...you said "I want to pick her brains". Be careful not to make it look like thats why you contacted her, or it might scare her away. I was at a job once, with Lynne from the Forum (Pinkundies). A woman started picking our brains non-stop - she wanted to know EVERYTHNG about how we were doing this etc. and took both our cards. It drove us NUTS and we planned to avoid her if she ever contacted us again.

Last edited by TinafromNY on Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:52 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
TinafromNY

Number of posts : 993
Registration date : 2012-07-05

http://www.facefanaticfacepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by granola on Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:48 pm

Oh dear! Thanks Tina, will keep that in mind when I am talking with her. I could see how that would be a pain in the rear. Will sway convo. elsewhere as well. Wink
granola

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:23 pm

I agree... don't make the approach as "wanting to pick her brains". Meet, get to know each other... if you hit it off go from there.

Nothing is more off-putting than someone contacting me wanting "to pick my brains" or "learn how I run my business" or want to shadow me on my jobs (?!!)...

I'm more than happy to meet new painters in my area... I've suggested we get together for coffee so we can get to know each other, in the past. No one took me up on it.

Back to top Go down

Post by erica21 on Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:33 am

Shannon, I wish I'd lived in your area. Well maybe not permanently but def for coffee and chats! I really love snow! :-)
erica21

Number of posts : 160
Registration date : 2011-11-26

Back to top Go down

Post by l!zzie on Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:07 am

I wish Shannon and I lived both on Hawaii..... Very Happy
l!zzie

Number of posts : 2256
Registration date : 2011-09-28

http://www.detiskwant.nl

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmbook on Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:41 am

When I contact or run into another face painter/clown/balloon twister/etc I give them a quick approach & let them know I'd like to get to know them for networking purposes. Sending them gigs when I'm booked up, jam, etc. I keep it quick & never nail 'em down when their on the job. In the beginning I had different reactions (from being blown off to making some great friends).

Just remember, they might not be as excited about you as your are about them Very Happy
Psalmbook

Number of posts : 7642
Registration date : 2010-03-09

http://www.wix.com/psalmbook/Lindas-Face-Painting

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:27 am

l!zzie wrote:I wish Shannon and I lived both on Hawaii..... Very Happy
cheers

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelley Bellefontaine on Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:55 pm

I always encourage new painters through forums or when they contact me through CAFABA , that they SHOULD contact others in their areas!It is all about networking Very Happy Put it is like Shannon and the others have said , you need to be careful how you say things ! lol! I would love people to contact me in a friendly manner, but like Shannon said , I would not have anyone "shadow " me again, the last one sure saw me coming , I learned my lesson the hard way!!
Shelley Bellefontaine

Number of posts : 236
Registration date : 2009-05-05

http://www.you-name-it.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by amylady222 on Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:46 am

have they contacted you?
How did it go?
amylady222

Number of posts : 1176
Registration date : 2012-08-04