Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

JUST starting out. Looking for help with buying a kit and other questions.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

JUST starting out. Looking for help with buying a kit and other questions.

Post by Clooz on Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:46 am

Ok so first post here.. I want to get into face painting. I've lurked on the forums, along with you-tube to get a basic idea of where to start, but I'm still scratching my head. Nice forum by the way!

I have been into art for several years (sculpting, painting, pastels, a little bit of everything). I have also done make-up for stage, beauty (like high school dances/pagents), and for dancers. So I'm not completely clueless when it comes to art and makeup, although I am mostly clueless when it comes to this foreign world of face painting. I just want to hear some opinions on what to purchase to start a well rounded kit.

I know there is an amazing local face painter, who I even believe may be on these forums, but I am honestly too nervous to bother her busy self ( I mean I haven't even started painting yet), and I am just about to grad from high school, so I don't have the funds to purchase lessons from her. I hope she might see some of my work some time, so once I get the hang of this and my work starts to look decent , maybe she could critique me and help me make progress. (I don't intend to take this super business serious at first, so I won't really be her competition) Actually I hope once I start and get some practice under my belt, I will be able to get pointers and criticism from you all!

Should I go with purchasing a palette, or just some cakes, if palettes or cakes, which one/ones and colors are popular and good to begin with?

I know I want to buy a couple split cakes and one strokes, at least until I learn to make my own, what are some of your favorite and most used ones? I'm thinking a leaf one, maybe dolphin, and then some nice ones for butterflies. Any other suggestions? On brands? I'm thinking tag, it seems popular and of good quality.

What brands should I poke around with first when it comes to fp?
Should I get maybe White, black and red snaz? or should I go with wolfe for those base colors?
I'm thinking of purchasing DFX or wolfe paints for my first colors, are those nice to use or should I be looking elsewhere?

I have read a couple sponge threads, but I'm still a little confused, should I just buy a couple different types? The greenies, some off amazon, tack ones? Or is there a general favorite you guys use?

I have some brushes already from painting and water colors, but I took a closer look at them, and quite a few are sable and not very uhh "bouncy" and my flat brushes are pretty thick. They also are the wrong numbers when it comes to popular fping brushes. Anyone have some favorite essential brushes?

I have seen sooo many different storage kits that you guys use. This will be a total noob question..because I haven't purchased any fp yet.. lol. So I don't understand storage. Do you keep the cakes in their cases and stack them for storage, taking the cap off to lay them all out in a palette when you paint? Or do you keep them in a palette similar to how you do with eye shadows, or blushes?

I would like to start out with lets say 200-250 dollars, maybe a bit more or less to get a kit going.
Any links or tips for beginners would be greatly appreciated. Help making a shopping list would be amazing as well. I'm sorry for making my own thread for this. Since so many are out their asking similar questions. But I wanted answers to slightly different questions. I'm also so sorry the post ended up so long. Sad Thanks in advance for any help. Very Happy This seems like an awesome place to learn the tricks of the trade and to develop as a face painter.

I plan to start this out as a hobby, since I'll be busy in school for a year or two, but after that I may have more time to pick up some more gigs besides stuff for friends, and I'll be moving out of county. (Just saying so, so that you will know what my goals are) I do intend to work hard and make progress skill wise. I don't like half-assing things Razz.

Oh I'm quite sleepy, so excuse any bad grammar and typos please. I also accidentally left the page, so this post is actually an edited version of an older draft, not what I intended to actually post. So I may have left some things out. If so, I'll either edit this post or make another one in this thread. I REALLY hope this goes to the right forum... Again, thanks for any help Very Happy night night!

-Claudia

Clooz

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2013-02-27

Back to top Go down

Re: JUST starting out. Looking for help with buying a kit and other questions.

Post by a face painting mom on Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:29 am

Claudia,

Jody is a doll, contact her, not only is she awsome, she is very nice and not at all intimidating. Her painting skill is legendary, we are all lucky to have her so close. She will be teaching here soon, stay tuned, most face painting classes are not that expensive!

Second, join the Face Painting Guild of Central Ohio, we meet in Columbus, the third Monday of every month, at the Bexley Donatos Pizza. Each month, one of the members shares a class. It is a nice group of people with variable skills! Above all, nice, welcoming people who want you to succeed and be a great painter. We have classes frequently, and invite in both local greats (like Jody) and those from far away. You will be surprised how affordable this is!

The supplies you need will depend on what you end up liking! Try a variety, they are very different, and what I like, you may not like. One more reason to come to a guild meeting, you can probably try our kits, see what you like, spy colors in person, see our various set ups, feel the sponges we have, look at our brushes...we all look at each others stuff, it is part of the fun!

Look at the product review page, read what has been written about products, there is tons of information there. Also, check out the swap shop, you might find something you want to try out. If you come to columbus, you can get paradise, mark ried, star blends and ben nye products at Costume Specalties on Broad street (very near Broad and James) in Columbus, just out side Bexley. Also, do a google search to find threads on the forum about what to buy for your first kit, there are many threads with lists and painters who chimmed in on suggestions, some will work for you, some will not, and that is how it goes (and what the swap shop is for...to recycle what you don't like, because some one else will!)
The guild public fb page: https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/156576999193/

Next meeting: March 18, Maddy Wayne will be sharing Easter Designs. If you are interested in Henna, Deborah Bromer will be teaching a class on March 10th and March 11th. Pashur and Nick Wolfe are coming to Columbus to teach body painting in June, and the Midwest Haunters Convention, also in June, is in Columbus and though the theme is goulish, the painting skill and classes are very valuable even if you dont want to paint gore.

Keep an eye out, we have much more coming soon!

Welcome!
Martha

a face painting mom

Number of posts : 1913
Registration date : 2011-07-13

http://www.afacepaintingmom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by fesspenter on Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:35 am

Welcome to the Forum, Clooz!

There are so many threads on best quality face paints, brushes, sponges, glitter, etc. This Forum is a fantastic resource. There are hours of reading that you can do on the "Frequently Asked Questions" thread. You will notice that there is not ONE right paint... there are different consistencies, colors, opaqueness, durability in paint... and different painters, so there are so many different paints. Try a little of some and see how you like it.

There are different kits that we have created... some of us have the "flap top" palettes, some have jewellry trays, some have left the paint in the original container... again, there are all different ways to put a kit together because there is not only one kit that works for everybody. I think I am striving to have the "perfect" kit, and there is no such animal. It will never be perfect.

For sponges... the Face Paint Forum Shop (above, in the colorful rectangle) has the FWW green sponges for less than half the price of other major online face painting shops. The shipping at the Face Paint Forum Shop is quite reasonable, and Metina is FAST at putting your order together. You can also purchase the peanut shaped car wash sponges and cut them into various sizes with an electric carving knife. Tack sponges from an equine supply company are also very affordable and still amazing to paint with after cut into the sizes and shapes you would like.

There IS an amazing face painter in your town... Jody Rife. Do not feel that you cannot approach her. Buy her a coffee and ask if she is looking to have an apprentice. The worst thing she can say to you is "No". It is a lot of time, work and attention to take on an apprentice, so she has to think about how much time and energy she can commit to taking on a student. Email Jody and ask her if she has a half an hour and buy her a coffee. Ask her all the questions from your above missive that have not been answered. Ask if you can split shipping costs on an order.

This is an expensive hobby. You do have to buy the best quality paint and practice with it. Practice with the paint that you will be using on the client. You do not need to buy a lot of paint to begin with... just a few varied kinds.

If I could go back in time and give myself advice, I would tell myself one thing...
PRACTICE.
You can watch all the great YouTube Videos with Lisa Joy Young, Denise Cold, etc. You can buy books by Shannon Fennell, and the Wolfe Brothers. You can Google images on Face Painting for days...
and
you will never get better until you put your brush into the paint.
I would practice my line work:
Teardrops, from small to big, from big to small, increasing in size, decreasing in size, from left to right, from right to left.
Swirls
Scrolls
Lines from big to small and small to big in a continuous motion

As for buying paint as a start up hobby:

Wolfe White and Wolfe Black for line work.
Snazaroo works great for bases
Palette from Diamond F/X is about $31 at the Face Paint Forum Shop
My favorite brushes are Loew and Cornell 7000C series sizes 2, 4, 6. Never use brushes that have been used for water color or acrylic with face painting. Water color and acrylics can have cadmium, lead, pthalates in the paint and can leave residue in your brushes, exposing small children to the contaminants.
I would purchase some pre-made one stroke paints, instead of trying to save money by making your own at the very beginning of this hobby. If this turns into a bigger job, then create your own. TAG has both Rose, and Leaf One Strokes that are good. You can add to your kit later, as you master the one stroke rose. There is a FaceBook Group dedicated to One Stroke.
I would purchase a 50g TAG Neon Carnival for sponging on breathtaking bases for those butterflies, rather than a rainbow cake. The Carnival cake stays vibrant.
Glitter: the translucent white is my go-to glitter for just about every face. Rainbow Gold is my second most used glitter in my face painting kit for tigers, cheetahs, etc. You do not need every color of glitter to start out with.

Do well at school, and keep practicing.

Happy Painting!

fesspenter

Number of posts : 3331
Registration date : 2011-04-29

http://www.wix.com/lisaleyes/facepaintbylisaleyes

Back to top Go down

Post by granola on Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:21 am

Hi Clooz, I am new too and I had nothing when I got interested. I can tell you how I got started out of nowhere. First I bought snazaroo black and Wolfe white (no specific reason why I chose those two brands). When I got them I ordered a red Paradise (wanted to try Paradise) While waiting for the red I practiced, lines tear drops, tiger stripes, dots. I even did spiders, I made a ghost mask on my son. My red showed up and I did a dalmation on my son. Ordered another color (Paradise again) and I have built up the face paint from there. Every month I buy a few new colors. I started off buying primary colors first and then the lighter green and a lighter blue, a darker blue and soo forth and so on. Just last night I ordered my first rainbow cakes and one strokes, I bought what I thought I need most like colors to make a leaf and a rose, a dolphin, snake, dragon, flames (you know, stuff that gets requested alot by kids) a rainbow cake, unicorn split cake I think. I watch alot of face painting tutorials by Lisa Joy Young and others. I bought brushes 2, 4, 6, seem to be the popular sizes and ones I do use all the time. Bought flat brushes of different sizes. I went to Silly Heathers Face Painting tutorials on youtube and watched the one about brushes and what they do. That helped me a whole bunch as I am not an experienced painter and know nothing about brushes. I ended up buying the specialty brushes she used on there at my local craft store. I bought acouple books for cheek art, masks and one on horror coming soon. I still want to get the metallic colors and neon colors and starblends but it all comes in time. You build as you go and find out what you need or want depending on what kind of designs you want to do.

My huband bought me a case for Christmas for my accumulating face paint and it is doing the job splendidly. He also bought me sponges and a few new brushes from Paradise. I just bought a water tub for my brushes like a month ago, and glitter. It is adding up I tell you, I look at all my stuff in my kit and think about how much we have invested, yeah most expensive hobby I ever got myself into but I love everything about it. I still need to buy a case for my brushes, I am not storing them the correct way and I need to do that before they get ruined. Learned alot from the good people on here and youtube. The forum told me Diamond Fx and Wolfe are the best for line work and they are right! I use Paradise for my bases, and found out I am not a big fan of Snazaroo but I am a fan of Paradise. I plan on trying other brands soon.

I heard there was a Clown in my neck of the woods, looked her up and emailed her, now we have a date Tuesday morning at a local restaurant. It's gonna be nice to meet someone in person that shares the same interest. Call Jody, it will be great! Well, I hope that helped a little bit. My way def. isnt the right way, not sure if there is a right way but it's how it all started for me and I am still on my journey, learning and trying products. Main goal is to get that brush shell out those paintings and get the pictures on this Forum. It's alot of fun and I love to see everyones work just as much as I love to show my work. Can't wait to see some of your stuff clooz!! Have a great day!
granola

Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2012-11-17

Back to top Go down

Post by granola on Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:44 pm

Well, my husbands wallet would love for me to catch that virus! alien Awesome!
granola

Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2012-11-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Erica's Funny Faces on Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:51 pm

Oh don't get me wrong, I have only been painting since August and have spent over 2k in supplies but I think I got alot for my $. This includes all my painting supplies, fat max, chairs & table, tshirts and business cards. I have pics of my setup somewhere around here but I have since added to it a bit. Embarassed I do get a few gigs each week though so I think I have earned it back.
Erica's Funny Faces

Number of posts : 1306
Registration date : 2012-08-20

http://www.thefunnyfacepainter.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Erica's Funny Faces on Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:53 pm

I think I only shop it so much so I can spend more! Laughing
Erica's Funny Faces

Back to top Go down

Post by a face painting mom on Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:30 pm

thought of one quick sample for you, not to take any business away from Metina in the FPF shop, she has great prices and selection, and I support her shop when I can...get a Micheal's Coupon, find the 50% off if you can, if not the 40% off is good too. Go to the book section, buy the Klutz face painting book with the little face painting pallet and brush...it is Wolfe paint and a #3 or #4 Wolfe brush, both great buys at only about 12 to 15 bucks with the coupon. You can start using one of the very best white and black paints and get going practicing those tear drops before you really make up your mind what to buy when you place your big order. Michaels also has snaz sponges, these are my favorite, but you will have to find what you like. With less than 20 bucks, you will have what you need to start playing today!

See you at the guild meetings! I think between all of us, there is some of everything. You are welcomed to try out the snaz, wolfe, paradise, fab, tag, kryolan, etc...etc....in my kit.

Martha
a face painting mom

Back to top Go down

Post by Erica's Funny Faces on Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:43 pm

LMAO I actually started with the Klutz kit when I did family fun nights at Sears! Very Happy Didn't know at the time that it was wolfe paints though... Here is what it looks like.

It is a p.i.a not having pink and purple though. If you really can spring for the bigger kit you should!
Erica's Funny Faces

Back to top Go down

Post by Shiranshoku on Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:40 pm

Well, I'm not a guru or anything, but I'm just starting out too Smile

So far the only money regret spending was on a course. If you decide to take classes, make sure the teacher is a PRO, and not a hobbyist!

As far as supplies go, I bought:
- two snazaroo palettes (2 ml cakes) totalling 16 colours. I did this because I wanted to try a lot of different colours without having to spend too much cash: a single 18 ml container costs 7 $ which would total 112 $. The palettes cost me 38 $, and so far there are only 5 colours that I plan on buying in bigger containers.

- a midrange brush set from an art supply store. I figured that those brushes would be just as good as those specifically labelled for face painting. For practicing purposes I didn't get that many, and my brush collection is growing... I think I spent about 15 $ dollars.

- sponges: I got tack sponges from a horse stuff shop thingy (lol) for 5 $. I got 12, which I cut in half.

- a mirror from a 2nd hand store for 2 $. It's a small one, but it allows me to paint myself while I'm sitting at the table.

I also spread the word, lol, especially with my B-day approaching Wink, so my mom gave me Superstar Red & Black so I could paint a devil face on my brother. And my SO just ordered a splitcake set (six tiny splits, 2 rainbowcakes, 2 brushes, 3 sponges and a spritzer) for 50 $ from PartyXplosion. I personally wouldn't have orded that just yet.

I wouldn't bring out the big bucks just yet... Although the larger cakes are more cost efficient, the initial investment is higher. Also, I'm a student and I pay for everything myself. Life is expensive, lol. I already have a lot of hobbies, so I didn't want to risk buying a ton of paints only to realise I didn't like it as much as anticipated.

It's like a tiny sampler to check things out. And it's small, so it's easy to stow out of sight if I stop facepainting and need to hide how much money I wasted from my SO, Razz.

I won't stop, though. It's a very addictive hobby! I hope my input helps, we're in a similar situation I think. I'm also not planning on doing it professionaLy while I still study. But of course, if you have the bucks to spend: go crazy! And post pics! I'll live vicariously through you Smile
Shiranshoku

Number of posts : 83
Registration date : 2013-01-31

Back to top Go down

Post by a face painting mom on Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:55 pm

Yep, that is the one Erica! I did miss pink and purple, though you can mix them, when I bought this I did not realize it was wolfe either! It is nice to have both wolfe white and black, right out of the gate without spending a fourtune!

The other pallets, the sampler pallets from DFX, Tag and Mehron are nice too, and you get to try a lot of colors that way. Very Happy
a face painting mom

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelley Bellefontaine on Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:53 am

Definitely go with the sample pallets at first. What I love to use , or what another artist does, may not be the product you love and the one that works for you! I will admit I am a tackle tart and have 7 different brands in my kit, as I have yet to find ONE brand that meets all my needs Very Happy

So go small at first, then buy the bigger sizes of the brands you do really like. It is VERY easy to become overwhelmed and over spend at first..trust me Razz
Shelley Bellefontaine

Number of posts : 236
Registration date : 2009-05-05

http://www.you-name-it.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top