Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

What split cakes do I neeeeed? What brand for bases?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What split cakes do I neeeeed? What brand for bases?

Post by DNNovelty on Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:11 pm

I am just starting out in the face paint arena, and I ordered some supplies and wondered what I need in terms of split cakes. I ordered a TAG rainbow cake and two girly-colored split cakes so far. My customers are at least 90% children. I am thinking one for leaves/ snakes, one for flames, and one for butterflies? Do I need more? What do you find you use the most when painting children's faces?

Also, I am wondering how certain paints fare in terms of staining. Pretty much everything I ordered is TAG except a little Wolfe palette. I have read Snaz is pretty good for bases, but then in other posts I see it is crap. Is TAG ok for bases, or should I pick up a diff brand for non-staining bases?

Thanks everyone!

DNNovelty

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2013-02-26

Back to top Go down

Re: What split cakes do I neeeeed? What brand for bases?

Post by martha on Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:42 pm

You can get a ton of info by using the search box or checking the Frequently Asked Question section. Personally I would not use Wolfe, DFX, or Chameleon for bases. Paradise, Snaz, TAG, and Kryolan work better for bases. Wolfe or DFX are the best for linework - again, my opinion.
martha

Number of posts : 1951
Registration date : 2011-05-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Shiranshoku on Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:53 pm

Also, using Google can help you sift through the form. Just type 'x' site:www.facepaintforum.com in the search bar. X being your search term.

And keep in mind that most info here is based on opinions. I was a bit bummed when I read so many people dislike snaz, after buying two palettes. After trying it out myself, I'm definitely pro-Snaz though Smile

Last edited by Shiranshoku on Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:54 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typo!)
Shiranshoku

Number of posts : 83
Registration date : 2013-01-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Erica's Funny Faces on Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:11 pm

Welcome to the forum DNNovelty you will find lots of helpful info here but deciding which paints you like best is kind of going to be trial and error! But there is a great "swap shop" here where you can resell anything you try and don't like...good luck!

That's very true Shiranshoku because I like DFX ok for bases and cheeky art but prefer wolfe black and white for linework. Snaz is good for bases on the younger kids because it washed so easily. Paradise is alot like snaz in my opinion (also good for bases) because it is creamy whereas diamond fx, wolfe and tag are more of a waxy consistancy. Paradise beach berry is the best red I have found... I love star blends although I have only tried black, white and red. Also wanted to just note that your signature is wickedly funny!

Erica's Funny Faces

Number of posts : 1306
Registration date : 2012-08-20

http://www.thefunnyfacepainter.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Shiranshoku on Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:03 am

I really like how Snazaroo is so easy to blend for bases. It's a challenge for linework, especially as a newbie. But blending? Awesome!

Thanks, Erica! I picked it up somewhere, don't remember, and it still makes me grin Smile Love your new avatar, by the way.
Shiranshoku

Number of posts : 83
Registration date : 2013-01-31

Back to top Go down

Post by MissHeidi on Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:08 pm

Staining is another questions that you will get lots of opinions on. My son and I are both fair skinned and I did not have good luck with TAG greens and purples staining him. For that reason I've stayed away from TAG for the most part, but I know that LOTS of painters here haven't had problems. (A bit of olive oil did remove the stains, but I didn't feel comfortable possibly staining children).
MissHeidi

Number of posts : 275
Registration date : 2012-07-30

http://www.colormewildfacepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by eva on Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:05 am

I keep some snaz just because most of the colors don't stain, and they blend so well. I love them for bases. But for the color effect, DFX and tag and Wolfe. Wolfe seems to stain more than the other two. I hear FAB offers the best of both, blend ability, brightness and doesn't stain but I am afraid of the odor. I have very sensitive scent allergies.
eva

Number of posts : 1108
Registration date : 2008-12-13

http://www.cincinnatifacepainters.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Denise Cold on Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:40 am

There is a FAB that stains horribly and I'm not a stainer...FAB Magenta Shimmer. It' beautiful but left me "sunburned"...ironically, the Ziva that looks like it would stain comes right off.

I'll try to find a similar thread. I ended up writing a whole essay on this because it depends on what kind of painter you want to be....let me see if I can find it.

D.
Denise Cold

Number of posts : 2717
Registration date : 2011-04-06

http://www.denisecold.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Denise Cold on Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:04 am

This thread is a good read. That's why Martha suggested using the archives. Chock full of info:

http://www.facepaintforum.com/t10227-ready-for-a-new-kit

And if you do end up being a one-stroker I prefer TAG one-strokes and my most used are: Unicorn, 4 Rainbow, Stargazer, Magpie, Teddy Bear, Frangipani, Snake (Leaf Yellow), Dragon (Flame), & Dolphin. My favorite custom one-stroke is probably Havana Sunset here at the shop.
Denise Cold

Number of posts : 2717
Registration date : 2011-04-06

http://www.denisecold.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Affordable Face Magic on Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:51 am

OMG, Denise...I mentioned this in another thread today! I decided I was a little bit of both types & therefore a split personality...but a Happy FP'er!
Love your logical mind & artistic fingers. (Did that sound strange?)
Affordable Face Magic

Number of posts : 839
Registration date : 2011-09-28

http://www.affordablefacemagic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sneezle on Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:12 pm

I really love the Prisma fleur, beautifull for roses and leaves but i also use it for butterfly's and holiday face paintings. And the neon rainbow, love the bright colours.
Sneezle

Number of posts : 886
Registration date : 2013-03-03

Back to top Go down

Post by DNNovelty on Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:49 pm

Thank you all. Smile

DNNovelty

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2013-02-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top