Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Thinking out loud...

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Thinking out loud...

Post by Shiranshoku on Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:38 pm

Hi everyone!

Since I started painting, I've had a few people ask me to paint at bday parties etc. I don't feel ready for that, so I declined, but... Some questions popped up!

- my SO told me I could paint for free, because it would give me a chance to practice. I agree, but it rubs me the wrong way to do it for free. I mean, it's cost me a lot of time, effort and money. Even though I still need practice, I'd make those kids happy. It's worth paying for.

- but... If I charge, -and this is for the belgian people here-, can I just do it 'on the side'? Of specifiek: dat mag toch niet in 't zwart? Or could it be like babysitting: babysitters don't pay any taxes on their earnings, do they?

Given the taxation system in Belgium, I would really need to be booked very often to make a profit. If you're self-employed but are a student/have a job, you loose at the very least 40 % of your earnings to taxes. Plus about 350 of 'social contribution' every three months. Plus the VAT. And I'm probably forgetting things...

I don't relish the idea of avoiding taxes, but how do you -belgian- guys make ends meet??

- should I start thinking of a business name/brand right away?

Those are the most 'burning' issues, lol. Thanks for your thoughts and input!
Shiranshoku

Number of posts : 83
Registration date : 2013-01-31

Back to top Go down

Re: Thinking out loud...

Post by SmileLines on Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:51 pm

I think if people are asking you to paint at parties, then you can charge for parties! When I first started out, I volunteered a lot at church events to be able to get really fast with the more popular designs. I'm a little better than when I first started, but I still consider myself as a beginner. So long as you can paint around 10 faces per hour, you should have no problem charging what you deserve. I also decided to have a business name and brand when I started just to feel more professional Smile.

As for taxes, if you don't want to be taxed and are still painting under ten faces per hour, I would maybe do one or two volunteer events just to get practice. I'm not sure how the taxes work in Belgian, but I list all of my PROFITS (Amount earned- cost of materials) in the additional income section. In the US, if you make under a certain amount you don't have to put it in your taxes, but again, I'm not sure how things work where you live...

Hope I helped a little with my limited knowledge. Hopefully some of the more established painters will be able to help more Smile
SmileLines

Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2013-02-08

http://smilelinesfacepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by amylady222 on Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:31 am

I can't help at all with the taxes information, BUT

I painted two parties for free before I started charging. I did so I could get a feel for how it all worked and where my level of comfort (how many kids I could paint in the allotted time) was.

I was lucky because 2 of my daughters friends had birthday's pretty close together so I just gave that as my Birthday Present to the family.

I did talk to the two families and let them know they were a "testing ground" for me so that next year they would expect free painting--unless I choose to have them be a gift again. I was able to take pictures (and got permission to use them on my display board) and the other parents knew I did face painting after those parties---so even though I wasn't paid, it helped me get my name out there a little.

That is what I did starting out---just my opinion. sunny
amylady222

Number of posts : 1176
Registration date : 2012-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Shiranshoku on Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:55 am

As I don't know that much young families, that doesn't look like an option...

I do like the idea of painting for free two times as training, though. My SO suggested it for like... As long as I still study (which is 2 more years)... Which doesn't sound quite as good.

I'd love to support the local animal shelter, though... Maybe I should contact them!

Thanks for the helpful responses Smile
Shiranshoku

Number of posts : 83
Registration date : 2013-01-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top