Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Hey From the UK :-D

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hey From the UK :-D

Post by FlawlessFantasyArt on Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:21 pm

Hi lovely creative people,
I would just like to introduce myself, tell a bit of my story to this point and hopefully make some like minded friends and share advice and tips from our experiences.
I'm Sophia, I qualified as a make up artist in 2007 after doing a 2 year full time course that covered every aspect of make up artistry that included face & body painting and character make up. I did really well at college and finished my course with distinction. I then decided that I wanted to move to London and go to university and pursue the SFX side of make up, but there were issues with the course that resulted in me loosing all my confidence in my ability. Being a sensitive artist I took this hard! So for a few years I drifted from job to job all within the health & social care profession.
I managed to keep up my skills by doing a few make up shoots here and there and also taking my paints to friends parties and when I would go to festivals, going little (drunken) freebies to keep in the festival spirit :-D
Last year came a turing point, my confidence was growing again but not to the point where I could start a business in the UK, the whole idea seemed monumental and I was still scared. So I decided that I would take myself to Ibiza, Spain and see what happened. I said to myself, "Whatever happens here is going to be what I am meant to do with my life." and so it began....
I had an amazing summer as a body painter, my confidence grew, my portfolio grew and I was getting noticed for my skills by the right people. I even managed to get a job as the body painter for LMFAO for their Ibiza leg of their tour in the biggest club in the world. I couldn't believe it! The best decision I ever made.
Coming back to the UK and back into care has been a major come down! But now I am starting here. Starting a business doesn't (and does) seem like such a scary monster anymore...I mean If I can get on a plane to a foreign county, alone, with just a few paints and brushes and achieve what I did then surely I can make something of myself with my art here right? Fingers crossed....
So thank you for reading my story...if you got this far. And if you have any advice for starting a face & body painting business it would be greatly appreciated.
I look forward to hearing from you and being inspired & hopefully I can help people too.

Sophia
FlawlessFantasyArt

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2013-04-15

Back to top Go down

Re: Hey From the UK :-D

Post by fesspenter on Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:30 pm

Dear FlawlessFantasyArt:
Welcome to the Forum!
I don't know if my approach to promoting my business would work in the UK. I basically made it my job to get a job. I aimed for 20 hours a week creating a website, business cards, a portfolio, signage, and pounding the pavement with business cards hitting as many values as possible. It has taken four years of working hard and long doing icky business stuff, as well as practicing as much as possible. I wish I could give you some quick advice.

I am sure there are other painters out there who have much better words of wisdom than I do.

Happy Painting!
fesspenter

Number of posts : 3333
Registration date : 2011-04-29

http://www.wix.com/lisaleyes/facepaintbylisaleyes

Back to top Go down

Post by FlawlessFantasyArt on Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:41 pm

Thanks So much, that has helped already! I like how you allocated a time amount each week into doing it as that is what I am struggling with. Still having a job at the same time and other commitments but I think 20 hours a week working on it is achievable.
What did you use to create your website?
Thanks again
Sophia

FlawlessFantasyArt

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2013-04-15

Back to top Go down

Post by fesspenter on Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:08 pm

Dear FlawlessFantasyArt:
I used wix.com and worked on it for months. After about six months I then paid to have the ads removed. My website has not gotten me work per se. It is a way for potential clients to view the quality of my work.
fesspenter

Number of posts : 3333
Registration date : 2011-04-29

http://www.wix.com/lisaleyes/facepaintbylisaleyes

Back to top Go down

Post by PaolaSunglow on Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:38 am

Welcome Sophia!!! cheers
There is so much information in this forum is incredible! Every time i have a question i do a research and read all i need. and if i can't find it, i ask questions in the right thread. I am so grateful this forum exists!! sunny
PaolaSunglow

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2012-11-16

http://www.sunglowfacepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Jody Rife on Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:44 am

Welcome to this wonderful forum. I don't have any advice at the moment but I second Fesspenter (aka, Lisa). Smile This forum has been such a valuable tool for me. So many artists with various backgrounds. It is a treasure trove of knowledge. Have fun diving in! cheers
Jody Rife

Number of posts : 1725
Registration date : 2011-02-19

http://www.jodyrife.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum