Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Do you charge friends?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Do you charge friends?

Post by granola on Fri May 10, 2013 8:37 pm

Hello friends,

Got a quick question, I was asked by a church friend if I paint for birthday parties and what I charge? I sat for a moment and thought about it. Question Do I charge her or not....hmmm. I asked her how many kids and that I charge 60 which I know is on the lower range, (if she were a stranger I would like to charge 80) Now, I haven't had an official gig yet, I painted for my sons birthday party of 6 kids and I am suppose to paint at his pre school in a couple weeks ( teacher is going to inform me of details soon) but no real paid gig (still not confident yet) So I would be jumping in if I got this gig. Money is getting tight over here as hubby is now budgeting our finances so no more paint shopping sprees for me Sad Well, I haven't heard from her, so I hope I didn't step on her toes, which I am sure I didn't but I am a worry wart. She is a real sweet woman I love you Back to question, charge friends or not? And if you do charge them, what is the friend discount? Thanks Very Happy Very Happy
granola

Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2012-11-17

Back to top Go down

Re: Do you charge friends?

Post by mslalahoney on Fri May 10, 2013 9:00 pm

A few times for really close family or friends, I'll gift my services. I'm still new and building my board, so I've used family parties as a way to practice in real life party situations. In that case, I bring my photo release form (I lifted it off this forum) and got some nice pics of kids for my board. I've also told people that my talent is free, but I'll love to recoup some of my paint cost and I'll charge a small fee to cover the paints. For casual friends or my for groups I volunteer for, I give a discount rate and only if it doesn't conflict with a full paying gig. I don't know about you, sometimes I just have the urge to paint.
mslalahoney

Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2012-05-22

http://facepaintingbyrenee.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by granola on Fri May 10, 2013 9:22 pm

Ahhh! I should have asked the forum first before I told her 60. I really loved your answer mslalahoney, very very helpful, thank you!! I don't want to charge my friends but equip. is pricey and hubby wants to see me getting paid gigs now. Wink You said it perfectly and I will say that when a friend asks me to paint at their party. Now I gotta think of how tell her this new info. because I want to paint and I need to find my groove.
granola

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri May 10, 2013 9:33 pm

I do not discount for friends and family. I will, rarely, make face painting my gift if we are attending the party anyway, but, this is my business and I don't expect discounts from my friends.

Back to top Go down

Post by JJJJJ on Fri May 10, 2013 10:29 pm

I do it for a few. And I enjoy doing it for them. It's usually me offering.

JJJJJ

Number of posts : 1053
Registration date : 2011-08-26

Back to top Go down

Post by eva on Fri May 10, 2013 11:22 pm

I paint for free for my friends. I also bring photo waivers and take a ton of pictures, and def take them up on cake!! It's just the way I am, kind of a sucker and too nice for my own good. This does apply only to my close friends, not just any friend, and it cannot be a Saturday or Sunday. I would hate I be bitter because I booked a free friend gig and had to turn down a paying gig. So if they have a weekend party I will only come if nothing else comes up and I make a "if I can" commitment. I also love trading. I paint your kids you cut my hair, or many other crazy things I ask them to trade me. This Friday I am doing one for a friend who is a plumber, and I am buying a house so I will call the favor back in, and they know it.
eva

Number of posts : 1108
Registration date : 2008-12-13

http://www.cincinnatifacepainters.com

Back to top Go down

Post by amylady222 on Sat May 11, 2013 1:27 am

I think the main question is---why do you paint? Because it is an income? Because you love painting---is it a hobby?

I still of myself as a major newbie BUT when I first started I did two parties for free-as our family gift to them--BUT let them know that next year I will be Professional, so I am not sure I could do it for free again.

I love the quote about "my talent is free, but supplies are not" or however it was said---

PLUS Shannon is totally right---do you go to your friends place of business and expect a discount?
"Oh you are a nurse--does that mean I can get my shots for free?"

If you are doing this for a living--make NO exceptions--

If you have a hard time doing that (I sure do!)- I would stick to a set discount (1/2 off or whatever) for all friends, or don't do it at all--and sometimes it is hard because you will get a lot of "friends"!

I do like the barter idea too---that is a good way to get out of "free" and still look good Smile
amylady222

Number of posts : 1176
Registration date : 2012-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post by ladysinaz on Sat May 11, 2013 7:36 am

I do some things for free depending on what it is.
I'll henna my friends' tweens for free.. but that's cause i'm the kewl aunt and henna is dirt cheap.
As for party's, only if it was as a gift for a personal b-day party.. like Shannon said.. where she was going anyway.

For something like a school or church functions.. no way..
I figure it as.. if they are asking because they would like that service at the party, then they pay..
If i just offer because "I" think it would be kewl to do.. then i may do it free. Or ask for cost of supplies
ladysinaz

Number of posts : 291
Registration date : 2012-08-10

http://www.maguscorium.com

Back to top Go down

Post by wmeventservices on Sat May 11, 2013 7:49 am

I don't paint for friends and family. I want to enjoy and take part in those celebrations. I always recommend local artists I know will do a great job if they really want a face painter.
wmeventservices

Number of posts : 2132
Registration date : 2009-09-03

http://www.Art-Z-Faces.com

Back to top Go down

Post by fesspenter on Sat May 11, 2013 9:39 am

I do not paint friends and family for free at events. They have asked me to paint at times when I am at my busiest. I would rather enjoy the event, and not paint, or, if is during my busy times, they pay me my full rate.
On rare occasions, I have gifted my face paint artistry during off times. I have done a Friday after school party free with the caveat emptor that if I paint for free, I need Model Release forms signed, the guests only have a small say in what they get, and I put out a list of faces I need to paint for my website.

Happy Painting!
fesspenter

Number of posts : 3330
Registration date : 2011-04-29

http://www.wix.com/lisaleyes/facepaintbylisaleyes

Back to top Go down

Post by granola on Sat May 11, 2013 1:11 pm

Wow, lots of great answers, thanks everyone. Well, I started painting for my children and had lots and lots of fun doing that and they loved it too and it became an obsession I love you Well now my son can't stand it anymore and runs for the hills. My daughter is only two and she loves to be painted but only sits still for a little bit. Def. not long enough to try some of my detailed work and I have a 9 month old. You can only paint your husband for so long, he's always willing but you just don't get that same feeling as when you paint a child. Very Happy So, now that my husband is budgeting our books, it's no longer a hobby Very Happy It will hurt everytime I swipe my sponge on a cake now. cyclops I loved all the answers, you all def. cleared up the question in my mind. Thanks again everyone. Have a great day and happy painting! I love you
granola

Back to top Go down

Post by eva on Sat May 11, 2013 2:47 pm

My husband recently took over our finances, and he is much tighter than me. I support my face paint addiction with my face painting jobs. He gets no say over that money. I have managed a nice size volunteer kit of snazaroo because it last much longer than the waxy brands. I use it for places that I don't want to waste my better kit.
eva

Number of posts : 1108
Registration date : 2008-12-13

http://www.cincinnatifacepainters.com

Back to top Go down

Post by granola on Sat May 11, 2013 4:44 pm

Oh wow Eva, what a great idea!! You are one smart cookie! Will look into some snaz paint. Thanks!! cheers
granola

Back to top Go down

Post by mslalahoney on Sat May 18, 2013 11:21 pm

Shannon, I think I lifted that photo release form from you I love you your awesome! Get lots of pictures and practice the things you need to work on then it's mutual. I'm not ready to release the books to my husband, if he saw what I ordered today, he'd turn beet red!
mslalahoney

Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2012-05-22

http://facepaintingbyrenee.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by eviedejesus on Sun May 19, 2013 12:02 am

I discounted for friends when I first started and did two of my daughter’s best friend’s parties for free as pratice but I realized pretty quickly that it’s a lot of work setting up, etc. and costly too - so I won’t be doing ANY more free work. Discounting for really close friends (and family of course) is something I will always consider. I also like bartering, and using the “discount” as a barter can be done too.

She wouldn’t have asked how much you charge if she expected it for free. I would talk to her and tell her you need confirmation if she wants to hire you so that you don’t schedule another gig on the same day. At that point she will say yes or something like “I can’t, money is tight.” at which point you can ask “what would you feel comfortable paying?” and if it’s something you can live with, do it.
Doing discounted events as a beginner (for practice) is very different from discounting if you’ve been a pro for many years like Shannon has.
eviedejesus

Number of posts : 662
Registration date : 2012-06-08

http://www.fantasyfacedesign.com

Back to top Go down

Post by angiepangie on Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:09 pm

I am like Eva.. I will do freebies for family and VERY close friends but only when nothing is booked. I also LOVE to trade.. I have a friend who has bounce houses.. I am always willing to trade my painting skills for the use of one of those for my kids birthday parties!
I also LOVE the idea of keeping the Snazz paints back for freebie events, Eva! Thanks for that very wise tip!

angiepangie

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2013-05-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Gretchen on Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:47 pm

Sometimes I'll give a small discount to friends, but don't paint for free. That said, I've never had a friend ask for a discount flat out...but I like to at least make it sound like they are getting some sort of deal. ie, "I usually charge X for the first hour and Y each additional hour, but for you I will just charge my additional hour rate." Or I'll waive the travel fee, etc. A decent friend or family member should respect your business as an actual business and value your time and talent. Especially if it's like a summer weekend or other busy time when you might end up having to turn down a regular paying customer to give a friend a discount...at that point you're paying to do their gig. But either way, your talent is worth as much if not MORE than your kit!!! Anybody can buy a kit, but not just anybody can paint well!! ;-) You might also offer to give them a discount if they allow you to take photos of every kid for your website/portfolio. That way you get a little something extra out of the deal too. It's also a good idea to let your friends/family know that you'd prefer that they not tell their friends (parents of the kids at the party) how much they actually paid for you, to that you don't get future gigs where they are expecting the discount too. (I'll tell them, I'm giving you a special deal so if anyone else asks how much I charge, please tell them $x.00!) And yeah, what a great idea to have a cheaper kit for free or discounted events!!
Gretchen

Number of posts : 451
Registration date : 2010-09-02

Back to top Go down

Post by nikkili26 on Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:05 am

If I'm already there, and the party has died down, and most of the children guests have left and it is the main friends hanging out AND I happen to still have my paint in the car, I will offer to paint for free.

If I have to travel there and take time out of my schedule, they get the same rate as everyone else.

The only time I'd ever make an exception is if it were a friend who really really can't afford it. I only have one friend like that (living with their parents with two kids, college tuition and a part time job....she can barely afford a party, much less entertainment or face painting....if she asked, I'd do it for just the cost of travel and consider it a gift.) If I know they can easily afford to hire someone else at my rate, I do not feel the need to sweeten the deal by charging them less-they have the money to pay....especially if they can pay someone $300 to dress up as Dora the Explorer, or rent out the chuckie cheese, or buy a $150 cake...they can definitely afford to pay regular rate.

By being my "Friend", what they get in exchange is knowing their money is going to someone who needs it, and that I'll make sure to do my best, and I'll already have good rapport with them.
nikkili26

Number of posts : 1032
Registration date : 2013-05-19

Back to top Go down

Post by daphne78 on Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:18 am

I do charge friends, but..
I don't look at my watch...
Mostly I just charge € 25,- (my price for 1 hour) and just stay how long they need/want me.
And also 1 time I did a swap, I've painted a kidsparty and mom cut my hair Very Happy (She's my hairdresser).We were both very happy Very Happy
I don't mind for painting and getting something else than money.
And if I want to paint, and bring my kit and start painting without an request, I wouldn't think of asking hihihi, that's my thing and my fun, sort of a gift not a gig.
daphne78

Number of posts : 341
Registration date : 2012-08-22

http://daphneschminkt.webklik.nl

Back to top Go down

Post by Rebons on Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:49 am

I think Amylady asked the right question... Is face painting a business or a hobby? If it's a business then no discount. If it's a hobby then charge whatever you want and be prepared not to have you, your time or your supplies respected. I painted for free at a cousins child's birthday party and the cousin thought I should let her 11 year old daughter use my paints and brushes "to help" and was quite offended when I said no. Then I painted for free at a friends daughters party, and halfway thru the party the ice cream truck arrived and I sat waiting for 30 minutes while the kids got & then ate their ice cream. I'm sure if I was being paid my hourly rate that would have been different. Lesson learned on my end! But it's your decision that you have to make, based on what you want out of it. Good luck
Rebons

Number of posts : 327
Registration date : 2012-08-14

Http://happypaintedfaces.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top