Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Snazz Paints

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Snazz Paints

Post by Two Monkees Designs on Sun May 12, 2013 8:43 pm

So i'm new to Face Painting but so far i've been using Kyrolan Paints. I love them but recently i bought a small pink Snazz refill to try out and I LOVE IT!! The coverage is amazing and it makes amazing lines. I recommend that anyone looking for a new paint brand to try it.

Two Monkees Designs

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2013-02-11

Back to top Go down

Re: Snazz Paints

Post by MelindaT0813 on Sun May 12, 2013 8:55 pm

Really? amazing lines?
You should try wolfe.
Snazz is ok for bases because it blends well, but you should avoid it for line work.
I myself don't use snazz at all. It melts on hot days, horrible line work, time consuming to activate fully, cracks on full bodies, and is dull in comparison to other brands.

to be honest, Kryolan is like snazz's hotter cousin. In the same "family" (glycerin based) but so much better looking and nicer to work with.

Try Wolfe.
MelindaT0813

Number of posts : 568
Registration date : 2011-03-16

http://www.mindyentertainment.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Katurah on Sun May 12, 2013 9:56 pm

MelindaT0813 wrote:Really? amazing lines?
You should try wolfe.
Snazz is ok for bases because it blends well, but you should avoid it for line work.
I myself don't use snazz at all. It melts on hot days, horrible line work, time consuming to activate fully, cracks on full bodies, and is dull in comparison to other brands.

to be honest, Kryolan is like snazz's hotter cousin. In the same "family" (glycerin based) but so much better looking and nicer to work with.

Try Wolfe.

Although I can agree, Wolfe is better. Quite a few artist can work with Snaz really well! Especially our painter friends who really only have access to Snaz.

I still like Snaz, doesn't feel as hard on the face when it dries as oppose to TAG or DFX, and I love the blend. Line work not so much, but it can work. Smile
Katurah

Number of posts : 1564
Registration date : 2012-03-12

http://www.katurahpaintspeople.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by MasterpieceFacePainting on Mon May 13, 2013 6:27 am

I love Snaz for bases, I'm in Britain so it doesn't get hot enough to melt. It blends well but I would never use it for line work, it's never crisp enough for me.

Last edited by BekahCat on Mon May 13, 2013 8:38 am; edited 1 time in total
MasterpieceFacePainting

Number of posts : 509
Registration date : 2011-11-11

http://www.masterpiecefacepainting.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon May 13, 2013 8:36 am

MelindaT0813 wrote:Really? amazing lines?
You should try wolfe.

Try Wolfe.

Okay, I really think telling someone to avoid Snazaroo is taking it a bit far. YOU may not like it for linework, but there are many of us who have been using it for decades that find it perfectly fine for linework and bases. Yes, it has issues in the heat - but a lot of us don't have to deal with oppressive heat.

Express your opinion by all means... but everyone has different expectations, skill levels and conditions.

And personally, I only use Wolfe black, white and red, and ONLY for line work and fine details as I find them completely awful for bases.

Back to top Go down

Post by MelindaT0813 on Mon May 13, 2013 12:41 pm

I said avoid it for line work Shannon.
and even though I think it should be avoided all together (personal opion) I didn't go so far in that post.
In fact I said it was good for bases.

calm down momma bear <3
MelindaT0813

Number of posts : 568
Registration date : 2011-03-16

http://www.mindyentertainment.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Remex Wu on Thu May 30, 2013 1:22 am

I m in Hong Kong, the weather is v wet & hot here , 1/3 of my Snazaroo paints getting melt v muddy recently... any way to solve the problem, i even try to put it in the fridge, but not really works...
Remex Wu

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2013-05-30

http://marcotomato.wix.com/fxstudio

Back to top Go down

Post by Two Monkees Designs on Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:23 pm

I love the kyrolan too but i personally dont like blending with it. i havent yet tried wolfe because its not avalible in the caribbean but i'm going to make an order really soon. i'll update you on it then
Two Monkees Designs

Back to top Go down

Post by JennyNixe on Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:15 am

Sydney, don't feel bad. We don't all live down the street from the Silly Farm store. And most of us didn't have an unlimited budget at 15, either. There are people out there who don't like Wolfe at all; they feel it's too waxy. And personally, I find Kryolan too soft and sheer. So it really is just a matter of personal taste and what you do with what's available.
JennyNixe

Number of posts : 606
Registration date : 2012-10-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Two Monkees Designs on Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:51 pm

JennyNixe wrote:Sydney, don't feel bad. We don't all live down the street from the Silly Farm store. And most of us didn't have an unlimited budget at 15, either. There are people out there who don't like Wolfe at all; they feel it's too waxy. And personally, I find Kryolan too soft and sheer. So it really is just a matter of personal taste and what you do with what's available.

I know what you mean. I do facepainting and i don't usuually make that much money anyway. I do have a non-profit gig coming up, so i'm excited. Any tips?
Two Monkees Designs

Back to top Go down

Post by JennyNixe on Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:07 am

The best tip I have (that I was given here) is to limit the number of designs you let the kids choose from. You're the best judge of what you're best at and what kids in your area like, but at most 5 boy and 5 girl designs. Make a sign, either with pictures or a word list, and tell them those are the only choices they have today. It saves the inevitable "I want half Spider-Man, half-Batman, half-dinosaur" requests.

Also, check out Facebook facepainting groups, if you haven't already. There's one called Fast Faces that has fabulous ideas!
JennyNixe

Back to top Go down

Post by eviedejesus on Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:00 am

I think lots of people think “snazzaroo” is bad simply because it’s easy to find and probably the cheapest face paint available - so people associate it with a generic brand. I hate their containers and hate that they can’t be transferred easily - (making split cakes with snaz - almost impossible) - but for bases, snaz rocks. There really is no better base for spidey than snaz red, (except for maybe starblends red which is a powder).

I don’t fall for the whole name brand thing whether it comes to face paint or anything else. Maybelline Great Lash is one of the cheapest mascaras you can find, but models that make millions of dollars use it everyday and prefer it over the pricey department store brands.

Glad that you love a brand that is so accessible.
eviedejesus

Number of posts : 662
Registration date : 2012-06-08

http://www.fantasyfacedesign.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JennyNixe on Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:29 pm

Syndney, I sent you a PM.
JennyNixe

Back to top Go down

Post by Two Monkees Designs on Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:57 am

JennyNixe wrote:Syndney, I sent you a PM.
I got the message i'll reply soon
Two Monkees Designs

Back to top Go down

Post by elantaura on Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:26 am

In defense of snaz
not that I use it anymore due to it being hot in Australia, I did this in snaz (except for the white is wolfe white)
It can be a pain yes, but it can also be very good.
I don't paint with snaz often anymore (this picture is about 2 years old and I have posted it before) - but that choice is due to climate, and it is harder to work with for me anyway than others. But if you work it right it is a decent paint. I love the brown snazaroos if I did not have a melting issue with them. I would still have them as the browns in my kit. This has snaz brown, a tan and a snaz red of some sort, I mixed it with an orange or a yellow or something that was also snaz, (it was a while ago and I mix a lot always have) and snaz black.
Image hosted by servimg.com

Enjoy your Snaz :)and I'm Glad you like it
elantaura

Number of posts : 728
Registration date : 2011-08-22

http://suejuddfacepaintingandbodyart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by lala on Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:51 am

I LOVE and only use snaz Smile AND i live in the "Sunshine State" of Australia, the only thing i dont enjoy is the black, but i very seldom use it anyway. yes is gets mushy but i find i have adapted my techniques to suit it.
transferring and making splits can be tricky but i find it quite easy if you freeze the paints to do it.
I think you need to use whatever YOU love and whatever suits you personally, take what others add in your stride but decide for yourself Smile
lala

Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2011-01-03

http://sillysissy.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DannyB on Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:02 pm

I currently only use Snazz paints and as much as I am excited to try some new paints as well I don't think that I will ever replace it.

I live in Canada and it gets pretty hot in the summer, my black and brown melt but I have just learned to work with it (like lala mentioned).

The only experience I have so far with other paints is watching You Tube videos, it seems in comparison to most other brands you need to reload a lot more with Snaz, well I do at least, perhaps there is some technique or paint consistency I am missing.

I also find that the white is easily overpowered by your base, I am not sure yet if this is common with other paints I am soon to find out.

The only other thing that doesn't jazz me about Snazz is that they have no split cakes and making them can be difficult (especially if you only find out about split cakes after all of your paints are worked into O's, it is hard to cut up three old tires to make one new tire..)

Again, I am very new at face painting and before I joined this forum I didn't know there were so many tips and techniques, I didn't even know about split cakes!! I thought people were just super good at blending Smile but as a super novice, this is how I feel about Snazz.

Thanks!
DannyB

Number of posts : 121
Registration date : 2013-07-26

Back to top Go down

Post by nikkili26 on Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:57 am

personally, I love snaz for bases.

however, the pink snaz-which incidentally is also the cheapest color, does EXCELLENT line work.i don't know why, but it does.

so my only input is this:the paint quality differs by color in snaz....for instance, the temperature is 70 degrees....and my black snaz is PUDDING...literally looks and giggles like tapioca pudding.

as for my snaz white-absorbs other colors.....I sorta like this effect, honestly, especially for teardrops over sponged masks....
the only major issue I have is coverage-I absolutely MUST use a high density sponge to apply snaz white or the color is splotchy....(or, I have to do two coats of it.) all of the other colors go on vivid and evenly in one coat.

anyways, long story shot-snaz pink is great for linework...I use it for practicing all of the time.
nikkili26

Number of posts : 1032
Registration date : 2013-05-19

Back to top Go down

Post by JJJJJ on Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:25 pm

There are a couple of Snaz colors I won't ever be without: sparkle green (gorgeous on skin, especially in the sun), sparkle turquoise (goes on very smoothly), sparkle gold and sparkle pink (also very nice). I also use Snaz black (not for linework) when I have to blacken the eyes for skulls, puppies, etc.

JJJJJ

Number of posts : 1053
Registration date : 2011-08-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Coral3 on Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:02 am

I use snaz red, and snaz sparkle orange as I love both of those.  The black for linework works fine for me so long as the cake is quite dry, when it starts getting wet I find I need to swap for another black.  Wolfe used to not need swapping out like that, but the last one I bought had the new formula, and now it gets goopy too & needs the old switcharoo.  

Oh and interestingly, here in Australia snaz is about $5 a cake more expensive than TAG.  So not the 'cheap' paint.
Coral3

Number of posts : 570
Registration date : 2012-01-01

Back to top Go down

Post by nikkili26 on Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:50 am

It's expensive here in America too! I think people are turned off because it's in craft store's.
nikkili26

Back to top Go down

Post by Neneskids on Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:05 pm

New beginner, I'm starting out with Snazz, any suggestions on working out the black to get it right, all the other colors i have, no problems, which i only have red,green,black,yellow,blue white, all i can find at michaels stores, I will try Joanns next.

BTW.. Michaels has 50% off an individual item tomorrow, So i will get one of each color they have, the lady their will let me use multiple coupons, with separate transaction.
Neneskids

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2013-10-31

Back to top Go down

Post by nikkili26 on Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:31 am

work the paint into a cream, make sure you added enough water to activate it, and don't load by swirling your brush in the paint.

and when you paint, do not flick the brush.maintain control from the moment you lay down the brush, to the moment you lift the brush off.
nikkili26

Back to top Go down

Post by nikkili26 on Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:34 am

p.s. joanns doesn't have snaz. only the kits.they carry tulip=which i suggest you don't buy the colors, only the silver, white and black.

tulip black body paint is actually pretty good linework and doesn't stain.

there are better brands, like wolfe that you can get from party city in a small amount...but you should try ordering online and then you can get what you want instead of settling.
nikkili26

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Jayde on Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:09 pm

nikkili26 wrote:It's expensive here in America too!  I think people are turned off because it's in craft store's.
Nail on the head...
I know quite a few painters here who were Snaz loyalist but once the craft stores started
carrying the 18ml pots, they went to the other brands. Reason for the switch? Customers seeing you painting with something that they just happened to see at a craft store. It's not a quality or safety thing...it's a "Ooh, I saw those paints at Pat Catans, I can go get some of those and become a painter too" thing.

There is a mystery to what we do and how we do it and part of that mystery is the products we use. It just demystifies things a bit when the customer can see what you're using and figure out how much it costs...especially when they then use that knowledge to justify asking for a lower rate. Yes, I've had a budget minded person ask me if I use that Snazaroo paint (well, she didn't pronounce it right, she said Snaproo, but I knew what she meant) and because I corrected her on the pronunciation of the name she assumed that I did use it. The recognition wasn't a big deal, her rattling of a short list of applicable colors for the designs she wanted and then presenting me with an estimated cost for those colors based upon what she saw in the store, that was the problem.

Nowadays, I find it easier to not use it and tell people I buy my materials online. Snaz is a decent paint though and it was all I used before I found the other brands. It takes practice and you have to use different consistencies for different colors, but I was able to use it for base work as well as line work. My paints of choice today are Kryolan & Paradise for bases and Wolfe for line work (TAG for splits). Every artist is different and most of the time, you'll find it's not the product as much as it's how you use it that matters.
Lady Jayde

Number of posts : 1844
Registration date : 2009-08-10

http://www.imaginastic-facepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top