Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Onlline learning?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Onlline learning?

Post by Maxell on Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:22 am

Hello All....

I live in Nova Scotia, Canada, and my opportunities to sit in on a live instructor who will teach is limited...well non existent actually. So, other then youtube or fabtv is there any other way of learning online with videos? Do you know of any instructors who will do skype teaching, without breaking the bank? I saw one posted for 250 dollars per hour of skype time. I would even contemplate driving as far as Montreal sometime in the future to go to a course.

Maxellbia
Maxell

Number of posts : 99
Registration date : 2013-05-24

Back to top Go down

Re: Onlline learning?

Post by Guest on Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:42 am

I was in the same boat... first opportunity I had to see someone, ANYONE, face painting was when I flew to Calgary to take a workshop with Olivier Zegers in 2003. I think in total that cost me in the range of $1400 (air, hotel, workshop, meals...)

What I knew to that point was from books. I had never seen face painting before in person anywhere in my life up until after I was a make-up artist looking for something else to do to earn some income.

I have heard of some who offer Skype lessons but... I would really be concerned over their actual credentials i.e. skills and ability as a painter as well as an instructor. A lot of talented painters can't teach worth dirt.

Back to top Go down

Post by fesspenter on Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:58 pm

I would also be skeptical of Skype face paint seminars for $250/hour. Just because I CAN paint, does not always mean I can TEACH!

I would focus on the basics....
Teardrops from small to big end
Teardrops from big to small end
Graduating the above teardrops from big size to small size.
(Silly Heather (Heather Green of Silly Farm) and Mama Clown (Marcela Murad of Silly Farm) have excellent YouTube videos on teardrops and line work.

LineWork: thin to thick
Thick to thin
Scroll spirals
Swirls
Starbursts

Keep practicing! I can paint over 100 teardrops in 2-3 minutes. Practice for 5 minutes a day. Paint as much as you can. My children started running from me screaming when I open my kit. I now torture them... "Do you want to take out the garbage, or, let me paint you for an hour?" Well.... the garbage has been taken out regularly. I paint on myself, my arms, legs, and laugh-lined face. I bought a practice head. The practice head is great for working out designs in line work, not so good for blending colors. The colors tend to skate around instead of blending.

Join in on the TAG! You're It! thread to play Face Paint Tag. Copy designs from the web and then change them to make them your own.

Watch the CAFABA Website for classes in Montreal.

Happy Painting!
Oh...and I would highly recommend the purchase of Shannon Fennell's book "Your Face or Mine". While Shannon is too noble to recommend her own book... I am not noble at all. (Don't tell Shannon Fennell I was talking about her behind her back again. The woman has eyes in the back of her head and ALWAYS catches me when I talk about her. )
fesspenter

Number of posts : 3330
Registration date : 2011-04-29

http://www.wix.com/lisaleyes/facepaintbylisaleyes

Back to top Go down

Post by Maxell on Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:57 pm

ty..much appreciate the info...got the practice head..will fo
llow your advice...ty
Maxell

Number of posts : 99
Registration date : 2013-05-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Denise Cold on Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:44 pm

I actually prefer FABAtv over conferences. Really great instructors, up close and you can rewind and paint along..which you cannot do at conferences. Best face painting instruction other than one-on-one and then you are investing all of your eggs in one basket (instructor) and may be disappointed.

Honestly, the best thing is to shoot for the stars and start trying to imitate beautiful face painting. It will improve your current painting and eventually you will be that good. Don't make the newbie mistake of practicing "easy" designs because you are new...you will stay in the easy category if you do. STRETCH yourself.

D.
Denise Cold

Number of posts : 2717
Registration date : 2011-04-06

http://www.denisecold.com

Back to top Go down

Post by MandiIlene on Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:37 pm

I would be able to skype teach. Let me know if you are interested.

Smile
MandiIlene

Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2009-11-04

http://www.MandiIlene.com

Back to top Go down

Post by PrairiePainter on Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:04 pm

It seems like a lot of people have trouble getting Jam groups together... How about a Skype jam with other Forum members?
PrairiePainter

Number of posts : 326
Registration date : 2013-02-25

Back to top Go down

Post by MandiIlene on Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:37 pm

not sure how to group video chat, I'm sure there is a way.

~*~Mandi~*~
MandiIlene

Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2009-11-04

http://www.MandiIlene.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:43 am

You can do it on Skype...you just add in people to the call you're on.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top