Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

how to enforce payment?

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: how to enforce payment?

Post by eviedejesus on Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:00 am

well you are out of it temporarily of course, what I meant is it could be worse - thanfully you will eventually use those things.
eviedejesus

Number of posts : 662
Registration date : 2012-06-08

http://www.fantasyfacedesign.com

Back to top Go down

Post by MandiIlene on Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:54 am

Sometimes you get burned. I do a $25 retainer fee, that holds your time and date with an artist. For corps the rest is due upon arrival (some send full payment in mail beforehand too). At small parties I give them a 15 min last call notice before my time is up and ask for the payment then. I've been doing painting for 6 years, full time for the last three and I can count on one hand how many cancellations I've had in that time.
MandiIlene

Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2009-11-04

http://www.MandiIlene.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sweet Loretta on Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:51 am

Legally all deposits are refundable. Retainers are not.
Take a non-refundable retainer to hold a booking spot.

Always call 48-24 hr prior to the party or event (depending on type) to verify details. If they bail or stand you up it's the risk of an entertainment industry that is built and relies on trust. They have to trust too that they will get what they have booked.

Most recommend asking for payment upon arrival ...but it will cut down on you getting tipped.
Sweet Loretta

Number of posts : 744
Registration date : 2008-09-25

http://www.sweet-loretta.com

Back to top Go down

Post by bubbleblossom on Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:51 am

this has been interesting to read through...
I've been requiring full payment at least a week before the party...didnt think it was rude, and never had a customer think it was unusual!!

Sometimes I enforce a $50 within 4 days of accepting the quote,  if the person sounds a bit all over the place (Sometimes you can just tell).

I was supposed to do a job this saturday, the girl is friends with my sister... her communication was terrible and she only got back to me today on KEY questions...like what TIME should i arrive?! and hadnt payed me yet... the due date was yesterday. Made excuses like, she had responded but its not working... then asks me if she can pay me two days after the party... NO WAY. just no. I dont care if your my grandmas best friend. Thats not how I do business sorry. We have a family to feed this isnt a hobby. Of course, Im kind and careful about how I say it to the client lol.

I am new to face painting, and from the day I started I never dreamed of working without being paid first.
bubbleblossom

Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2014-11-14

http://www.unrealkidsparties.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post by Sweet Loretta on Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:44 pm

Smart BubbleBlossom. In my many years I have only been burned once. A charity event paid by check and it bounced, they burned me and two clowns...one clown called me to tell me her check bounced and I am long now friends with these two women, I actually taught them how to really face paint...so I got that.

I have never not been paid the day of, now if it is a repeat corporate or school client I have been known to walk away at the end of my gig assured they check is quickly in the mail....no worries. I do not take retainers, booking fees to hold dates, and rarely charge a travel fee....just ask you pay me when I arrive. Some clients have paid me after but that is soley on me not asserting myself....usually payments after the gig result in better tips! I do think getting paid is part of how people perceive you and your business overall. A more business like approach but still friendly and centered on client satisfaction is something people can smell. They can see you coming....
Sweet Loretta

Number of posts : 744
Registration date : 2008-09-25

http://www.sweet-loretta.com

Back to top Go down

Post by missmolly on Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:07 am

I do mostly birthday parties, no deposit (although as my service repertoire expands along with my rates I can see adding one) I've only been not paid once. I currently do not use a contract.

For corporate events I require that payment be made in full at the beginning of the event, I can be flexible on this as long as I receive payment before the event, as this way I can accept checks by mail and such. I haven't had an issue yet.

Only time I did not get paid was for an event I did at a summer camp for their family night while working as a councillor for the theatre program at the camp. In this case, they assured me it would be added to my pay check as a bonus, it was not. Looking back on it I should have emailed a reminder when pay checks were being drafted and finalized, and immediately inquire as soon as their office opened up again post-end of the summer.

Definitely agree that for birthday parties you get more tips when you receive payment at the end of the event, I find the flow of the party tends to work in that favour as the host can see you out and provide payment. Another good rate strategy is to always end your rates with a 5, as it encourages people to tip (for example, charge $85 instead of $80.)

I also take the shannon fennell approach to giving discounts - I don't. No exceptions. If I am working for family and close family friends I do it as my gift to them, with the requirement of it being on my terms...freeing me from the need of attending the event full-clown where the environment may not be as favourable, such as for older audiences.
missmolly

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2014-04-20

http://www.kookyclowns.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top