Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

to sell or not to sell

Go down

to sell or not to sell

Post by acarreon on Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:56 am

I bought my glitter tattoo kit last year, and i have done one party with them. i have brought them with me on all my ppf events and done maybe 2 each..my boys end up putting them all over each other when they get bored. i see fellow face painters being successful with them and its perfect for texas weather..i wanna sell or exchange them..but deep down inside i dont wanna Sad and i feel if i do, folks will start asking for them at parties. isnt that how it normally goes anyways? any suggestions?? if i keep em how can i market em a lil better to start booking more gt parties?
acarreon

Number of posts : 453
Registration date : 2012-04-14

http://lexisskinvas.wix.com/skinvas

Back to top Go down

Re: to sell or not to sell

Post by artyfacesbyluz on Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:56 am

I won't sell it, now I am using it a lot for pool parties, I always offer glitter tattoos or face painting option for the same price, and in parties is always one baby or adult that want a tattoo instead of face painting. I repotted the glitter in little containers and stencils in a binder, so my glitter tattoo kit doesn't take any space at all.
And if you are familiar with henna the free hand glitter tattoos are very popular.
artyfacesbyluz

Number of posts : 956
Registration date : 2011-02-22

http://www.artyfacesbyluz.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:57 am

Glitter tatts are a hard sell here... I've done two events where I was hired to do them specifically in 10 years. The other times I chose to do them at a regular gig when is was too hot for FP.

I don't push them, and at many of the larger festival events I go to there are glitter tattoo vendors so I don't take their business away by offering "free" ones (as I am hired so it is free to people).

I'm not concerned about getting rid of my stock as it does not go bad... the glue may need replacing (but my bottle of Beta Bond is still good after about 10 years in my kit!)

Back to top Go down

Post by anniel on Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:22 am

I would hang onto it...it's always good to have an add-on as an upsell.
anniel

Number of posts : 2317
Registration date : 2010-12-27

http://entertainment-etc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by PrairiePainter on Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:44 pm

I'm sure they'd make a good back up for PPF events when it rains.
PrairiePainter

Number of posts : 326
Registration date : 2013-02-25

Back to top Go down

Post by JJJJJ on Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:23 pm

You can market them by displaying them on your website as an option. Include lots of photos and explain how they work. At festivals, having an attractive display board works, just like with face art.

JJJJJ

Number of posts : 1053
Registration date : 2011-08-26

Back to top Go down

Post by aussiemarie on Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:41 pm

Hey, I like the binder idea to display or house the stencils. I have some small Snazeroo 2" by 2" squares in basic simple shapes. Maybe I could slip them into a sports card "sleeve" page that holds about 9 cards? Thanks for the idea!
aussiemarie

Number of posts : 363
Registration date : 2010-05-12

http://www.maconfacesfacepainting.shutterfly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Affordable Face Magic on Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:17 am

Lexi, I'd hold onto them. Last year, I had one party @ the ocean. Did a few FP & the rest glitter. EVERYONE was swimming! It's "Da Bomb" if the client is having 2nd thoughts about face paint @ a pool party & you don't want to lose the gig. Although it's in my invoice as "...ask me about glitter tattoos...GREAT for pool/beach parties", that's too late in the process. Some people look @ my website pics. With only one glitter tatt pic, they see it & ask about it. Many people don't know anything about them, so we need to sell them. You already invested the $$$. You'll kick yourself if you need them later on. Good luck.
Affordable Face Magic

Number of posts : 846
Registration date : 2011-09-28

http://www.affordablefacemagic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by mhr2133 on Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:34 am

My glitter tattoo business has taken over the face painting (last year we put down more than 5000 tattoos). They have a great advantage over face painting - better in the Mojave desert we live in, great around water, better for including the boys and dads, glitter is cheap and stencils are too if you hunt for the best prices and don't use the copyrighted expensive ones (the kid wants superman but that stencil will cost a lot and he will still be happy with a spider) and I can teach any teenager to help me put them on.
I found that the biggest problem is that kids know what they are but parents don't, also they don't photograph well so you see it on TV but are so much prettier in real life.  I see so many artist offer them at fairs and such but people walk by -- you need to see them and remember this is entertainment, putting on the tattoo is half the show ! Here's what we started doing and then are glitter business took off.  I hired or bribed a teenager who has a great personality to come put on tattoos at a party - we charge a nominal $35 as an add on price - the teenager gets all of that and some of the tip (I've noticed the tips have doubled) so not a bad deal for them for couple hours of work.
 We have them make a show of it, each kids gets to pick out their colors and if they like they get involved by helping to "poof" on their own glitters, pull the stencil and brush away the excess(now its a little messy but worth every minute of it cause the kids get so excited to do it themselves) then the fun starts in that we encourage the kids to talk their parents into tattoos - the kid becomes our "helper" and gets to put a tattoo on their parent (the parent doesn't want his kid to miss out on being a helper so lots of parents get tattooed) - soon we have mom's picking out and putting tattoos on Dad's and everyone is involved.  Parents at the party see that this is entertainment for everyone at the party not just kids so well worth the cost, half of our parties now just take the face painting as an after thought add on. It took us one summer of having teenagers doing the tattoos for the word to get out and for it to catch on.
mhr2133

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2011-10-16

Back to top Go down

Post by katerra77 on Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:56 pm

I agree, offer them as an add-on to your face painting parties.
I once was driving to a face painting party at the park and it started to rain heavily. I offered parents glitter tattoos as a waterproof option, and they were so happy.
At the festival my partner brings in her huge Ybody banner. Yes, it costs a lot, but it definitely lures customers in. We sell them for $8 each, regular 2x2 size.
I also always put tattoos on myself and show them to people. I have to say that banner has more that 200 designs, I offer only 100 out of them, but very rarely I don't have the stencil customer wants. I also found out that if you don't have the right stencil and show another stencil, kids are happy with replacement.
katerra77

Number of posts : 217
Registration date : 2011-09-19

http://www.sunrisefacepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by acarreon on Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:26 pm

Thank you so much..I'm going to push em a lil more as an add on.. I really want to do free hand but need to make some $$ to do some more investing. Smile I feel better about em now!!
acarreon

Number of posts : 453
Registration date : 2012-04-14

http://lexisskinvas.wix.com/skinvas

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down