Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Wow - So much information, where do I start?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Wow - So much information, where do I start?

Post by DannyB on Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:23 pm

Hi

I recently started up a small face painting operation... one person operation, I spend a lot of my time looking at pictures online of INCREDIBLE work and I have too many questions!

The main ones are, how do you decide which paints to use. I use Snazaroo and I can tell that it is not the same paint that I see in the majority of the pictures I see online, there are many things I enjoy about Snazaroo, how light it is and how easy it is to remove but I hate the fact that the white disappears on other colors and I can't get the highlighting that I want... is it ok to mix paints?

I am getting into some work with a photographer and as part of that I am going to start doing belly bump paintings, I feel that for the vibrant 'in your face' look I want I will have to use a different paint, especially since it is being photographed.

I am also curious how much I should be charging, I keep seeing 'charge what you are worth' but I am not sure how I would find that out... I currently charge $50 per party up to 10 kids and $5 for each additional child. I charge an extra amount for parties 70km (round trip) away.

Wow I have so many more questions! I don't know anyone else that does face painting, so I will stop there for now! Very Happy

Thanks!
DannyB

Number of posts : 121
Registration date : 2013-07-26

Back to top Go down

Re: Wow - So much information, where do I start?

Post by PaolaSunglow on Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:12 pm

Hi Danny,
I am not an expert, and like you i started about three years ago. I found that paint like brushes is a personal choice, what i like you could not. The best suggestion i think is to try palettes or small pots and test the different paints and their consistency.
For example i like Snazaroo white to trace designs because it disappears with the other paints. I use Wolfe white for tear drops and highlights. I use Kryolan white for animals faces, because is a more opaque color then Snazaroo but lighter then Wolfe. Have not yet tried Paradise.
It really comes down to practice and preferences on paints and colors too. The paints around (FDA Approved) are all good.

On your question how much to charge, if i might suggest, it would be advisable to contact your local face painters and talk to them. Explain who you are, how many faces you can do per hour, find out about their work and how much they charge. Ask them what should be a fair price to be charged for a beginner. When i first started i thought that was not a correct thing to do. With time i learned in this forum that is best to charge a fair price rather then cut off the work of another face painter because i am selling myself short and cheaper. So in my opinion it helps if you find the way to talk frankly with all. There is enough work for all.
You might even find some in this forum!cheers cheers
Please also try the search box and you will find a lot more.

Happy Painting!!!
PaolaSunglow

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2012-11-16

http://www.sunglowfacepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by fesspenter on Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:09 pm

Dear DannyB:
Welcome to the Forum!
There is a thread marked "New to the Forum" and another named "Frequently Asked Questions". There are years of collective knowledge in those threads.

Happy Reading!
xoxo
fesspenter

Number of posts : 3331
Registration date : 2011-04-29

http://www.wix.com/lisaleyes/facepaintbylisaleyes

Back to top Go down

Post by TinafromNY on Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:30 am

I started with all Snaz, but now I keep snaz for the face bases on things like Spiderman etc, cause it comes off more easily on the kids and also is the most gentle in large amounts. But I use wolfe black and white for all outlines, teardrops etc. Other than that, I've slowly been switching to a lot of TAG. The colors are very vibrant and go on well and are pretty opaque. I also have a bunch of FAB now, I love their metallics (silver is great too), and I love their pearlescent colors, but they don't cover as well as TAG. I use their Pearl Rose a LOT! Their cakes are very soft, so if you don't like that, don't buy! Really happy with TAG colors though, they make great flowers and designs, very vibrant.
TinafromNY

Number of posts : 993
Registration date : 2012-07-05

http://www.facefanaticfacepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DannyB on Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:15 pm

Great, thanks for the info!
DannyB

Number of posts : 121
Registration date : 2013-07-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Maxell on Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:14 pm

I started out with all TAG paints and wolfe black and white for lines...I have started to branch out into paradise, kryolan, and cameleon as I see colors that I like. Trial and error.
Maxell

Number of posts : 99
Registration date : 2013-05-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Valerie A on Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:19 am

Hi Danny!
My suggestion: read, read read the forum. There is soooo much information here!
If you can't find what you want in the search box...go to google, type in "face paint forum" and the words of the subject you are looking for; such as "face paint forum brushes." It is a much more comprehensive search.
That, and Wolf black is the best you'll find for black line work**** Wink 
flower

****except!!! I just read this on the forum about the new wolf black http://www.facepaintforum.com/t14852-there-must-be-differences-in-the-batches
ooooo, say it ain't so Shocked 
Valerie A

Number of posts : 1035
Registration date : 2012-07-18

Back to top Go down

Post by TinafromNY on Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:13 am

correction on my above comment! The Pearl Rose I LOVE is TAG, not Fab!
TinafromNY

Number of posts : 993
Registration date : 2012-07-05

http://www.facefanaticfacepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by stephen lewis on Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:00 pm

Hi DannyB, I think I welcomed you to the forum already. If I didn't - Welcome ! Pricing is a funny (hard) question to answer in just a few sentences. But the suggestions above and throughout this forum can be a great help. Here's a little suggestion that may be worth thinking about. For a party, function, film set, etc., have a set fee ($25-35.00) to cover the cost of supplies and expendables, plus so much per hour, or X dollars per face painted. This is the norm for makeup artists in the film industry and some variation could work for you. Just be sure not to cut yourself short!!!! I know it is a horrible thing to say but, by and large, people don't value anything that is free. Certainly, charge extra for extended travel. Best of luck
stephen lewis

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2013-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top