Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Regarding Wolfe's new paints with the eye imprint on them...

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Regarding Wolfe's new paints with the eye imprint on them...

Post by Gretchen on Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:47 pm

Hey all, I saw a post recently where people were thinking that the Wolfe paint formula had changed since they started stamping their eye logo on top. (sorry, with searching I still can't seem to find the thread so starting a new one!) So, I decided to go to the source and investigate it myself. Turns out that it is the SAME EXACT FORMULA made in the same factory...the paint itself has not changed at all. They have simply decided to start packaging the paints in the US (so they can get them to us quicker...yay!), and have just added the eye imprint as an extra precaution to help us distinguish real Wolfe paints from knockoffs. I personally haven't gotten any of the new ones in yet but hope to order more soon and try them for myself! But be assured that the formula has not changed at all!

Here is a letter that I have copied and pasted from the sales person I deal with at Wolfe:

Dear Valued Customers….
We have recently had a concern regarding our Wolfe makeup - the original in the business- regarding the new “EYE” logo on our cakes. Some of the chatter has been asking “ is it the same makeup?”….
I have the pleasure of answering this question……Over the past few months Wolfe has started the final transitioning of packaging which is now in North America. We are still manufacturing the bulk product with the same exact formula in the same factory…..there have been NO changes in the formula at all.
The only difference is the final preparation of the product, meaning packing and stamping our ever famous and distinguishable logo into our cakes. We are doing this to clearly separate the knock offs from the original. In addition, packaging here within NA will help to speed up production time so we are rarely out of stock on any of your favorite colors.
So, once again to re-assure those who feel the need to scrutinize Wolfe, it is the same makeup as always….no change to the formula, just the packaging.

Shelli Fresco Farber, National Sales Director
Wolfe Face Art & FX
407-730-9820
Direct Cell # 386 956 9556

Gretchen

Number of posts : 451
Registration date : 2010-09-02

Back to top Go down

Re: Regarding Wolfe's new paints with the eye imprint on them...

Post by Erica's Funny Faces on Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:20 pm

Actually they did change the formula to paraffin wax rather than bees wax. From what I've read it happened awhile back but the paint was better quality with the bees wax...
Erica's Funny Faces

Number of posts : 1306
Registration date : 2012-08-20

http://www.thefunnyfacepainter.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Maxell on Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:41 pm

well...my white is not as good as my black...so something is up.
Maxell

Number of posts : 99
Registration date : 2013-05-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:38 pm

The make-up HAS changed from the original. I have older stock - two container styles back, and it is waxier and opaque. The newer stock, up to and including the stuff stamped with the eye, is different and is not as opaque over top of other colours.

There is now no reason to order Wolfe over other brands as there is no benefit to it. I will use up my old stock over time and then have to find something else that will work better.

I don't use the Wolfe black for face painting jobs so it should last me for some time. But the White I do use and I am on the dregs of the old stuff.

Back to top Go down

Post by artyfacesbyluz on Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:03 pm

Shannon Fennell wrote:The make-up HAS changed from the original.  I have older stock - two container styles back, and it is waxier and opaque.  The newer stock, up to and including the stuff stamped with the eye, is different and is not as opaque over top of other colours.

There is now no reason to order Wolfe over other brands as there is no benefit to it.  I will use up my old stock over time and then have to find something else that will work better.

I don't use the Wolfe black for face painting jobs so it should last me for some time.  But the White I do use and I am on the dregs of the old stuff.

Shannon, can you please share your secret? what brand of black do you use for face painting?
artyfacesbyluz

Number of posts : 953
Registration date : 2011-02-22

http://www.artyfacesbyluz.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Valerie A on Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:43 am

Here's the link, that Gretchen couldn't find, to the discussion everyone has been having about Wolf black ...in case anyone is interested:

http://www.facepaintforum.com/t14852-there-must-be-differences-in-the-batches
Valerie A

Number of posts : 1035
Registration date : 2012-07-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:45 am

Snaz usually, and lately also TAG Pearl Black. This is in my working kit.  Sometimes Kryolan instead of Snaz - depends what I have on hand when I need to refill.

I can make Snaz black work well, all a matter of consistency and loading the brush properly.  The TAG Pearl Black is smoother and sharper and easier to use for flowing brush work as it doesn't need reloading as often.

Snaz only Are all done with only Snaz.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gretchen on Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:33 pm

Thanks, Valerie!! Don't know why it wouldn't come up even when I searched the exact post title!

Anyway, I also asked the folks at Wolfe about the wax. They assured me that it is paraffin wax, and it always has been.

I've only been using Wolfe for a couple years now so I guess I can't speak to what it might have been decades ago. All I know is that in my opinion it still is above and beyond awesome for linework compared to other brands I've tried...but of course it's a personal preference for everyone!!

Just thought I'd attempt to go to the source and get some information as I know a lot of us tend to post things like "I heard..." but we can't always track it back to where we heard it! ;-)

I'm anxious to use mine up now and try out the ones with the eye imprint myself and see how it is!
Gretchen

Number of posts : 451
Registration date : 2010-09-02

Back to top Go down

Post by barbb919 on Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:20 pm

the ones with the eye imprint are very soft and mine gets really gooey...just the last batch I got had the eye imprint I buy several at a time
barbb919

Number of posts : 2109
Registration date : 2010-03-23

http://tappysfacepainting.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Gigglebrush on Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:18 am

Thats so funny because i LOVE my wolfe black and white. Both of which have the eye imprint... well they did lol Wink I started with snaz and switched to wolfe, i have paradise as well.... My favorite is still the wolfe. They cover well and the consistency is smooth. Now i have never used the older wolfe, BUT i have no complaints with the "newer" ones.
Gigglebrush

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2013-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by gaebell on Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:02 pm

I started using wolfe back in 2006, and it was parrafin wax that was the ingredient, I remember looking on label on the bottom of the container, because I heard on the grape vine that they used bees wax. I really think someone just started a rumour and we all know how rumours get blown up!
gaebell

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2011-03-28

http://www.tagbodyart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by RickyMUA on Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:39 pm

Shannon would you mind taking a picture of your older Wolfe cake ingredient list, (I'm assuming they put it on the back as they do the new ones) to put all the back and forth to rest?
RickyMUA

Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2013-05-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:24 pm

I'll see if any are still legible.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rebons on Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:14 pm

So I posted this in the other thread, but what are we going to do now? Rumor has it DFX is gooey now too, and I don't have Shannon's mad skills with snaz... Does anyone remember the name of the DFX knock off that I heard about?
Rebons

Number of posts : 327
Registration date : 2012-08-14

Http://happypaintedfaces.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:02 pm

BEESWAX!!  it is the third ingredient on the  list.

Here is a photo of one of my remaining old Wolfe Whites...

Back to top Go down

Post by JennyNixe on Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:43 am

If in fact they've removed beeswax as an ingredient, it's probably because of the ongoing bee death issues. The cost of honey has gone through the roof, too.
JennyNixe

Number of posts : 606
Registration date : 2012-10-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:30 am

That's as maybe, but... it works better with the beeswax. Neutral 

Back to top Go down

Post by Sweet Loretta on Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:30 pm

Forumlation changes were most likely first based on a change in factories where the paint was produced. Parraffin has long been used in Wolfe and you have to have been around to have some original Wolfe as Shannon and I have. As for the depth of color all the makeup compainies made changes a ways back when the major pigment supplier ceased. Note then that several compaines colors changed a bit, that and the fact that many cried Wolfe was too strongly pigmented...

Any changes in formulations are minor, no different than that of Mehron, Kryolan, Graftobian, Ben Bye and other major suppliers of face paints. All have done some reformulations over the last few years. The changes are so minor the vast majority of users really can not tell.
Sweet Loretta

Number of posts : 744
Registration date : 2008-09-25

http://www.sweet-loretta.com

Back to top Go down

Post by IamGinaW on Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:02 pm

Different ingredients list. How can they say they haven't changed the formula? Maybe the sales rep has been lied to or the sales rep is lying to you, because they don't want to admit it?
IamGinaW

Number of posts : 1626
Registration date : 2010-09-15

http://facesbygina.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JJJJJ on Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:56 pm

I can tell. I have a popular design with a blue base and lots of white swirls and curls on it. It is frequently chosen. It's even on my banner as a photograph. The photo shows pure white linework. Now when I do it on the kids, the white lines all turn blue. Sort of a cool effect, if I was going for that. But I'm not going for that. The older product provided way better coverage.

JJJJJ

Number of posts : 1053
Registration date : 2011-08-26

Back to top Go down

Post by LillyW on Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:07 pm

TAG, DFX, Camleon, Wolfe and Fazmataz all come from the same factory.

If you like one, you will probably like them all.

- Lilly Walters, landline 909-398-1228, mobile, same area cd., 815-8535
Face and Body Painting in Claremont, La Verne, Upland, Pomona, Montclair, San Dimas, Rancho Cucamonga http://www.funfacepainting.com
LillyW

Number of posts : 259
Registration date : 2009-12-06

http://www.funfacepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Denise Cold on Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:49 pm

I checked my jars. I've been painting about 2.5 years with Wolfe Black and I have been using the parrafin so that can't be the only change. I've noticed it more in the Wolfe white but it's more crumbly...It's not so much when I use it but when I try to repot or make it into splits. Used to be more like oil clay where it was pliable enough to roll into a ball. It's harder to press into my containers. I still prefer using it to others (like Paradise) especially for Batman but I do wish it was smoother.
Denise Cold

Number of posts : 2717
Registration date : 2011-04-06

http://www.denisecold.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tineke on Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:57 am

Wolfe switched factories recently, they now produce in Taiwan instead of China...
Tineke

Number of posts : 524
Registration date : 2012-07-02

http://www.tinekesgrime.com

Back to top Go down

Post by leapinglizards on Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:54 am

I wish some more companies would make things in the US or Europe.

leapinglizards

Number of posts : 1061
Registration date : 2009-10-31

http://www.livecanvasart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JJJJJ on Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:21 pm

My Wolfe black misbehaves now too. It gets all clotty and weird. I continue to drip water to make that little "well," but when I twirl my brush along the top surface before using it, the slight bit of H2O just mucks up the surface. It takes longer to load a brush. NOT NOT NOT as thrilled with Wolfe as I once was. Sure do wish they would LISTEN.

JJJJJ

Number of posts : 1053
Registration date : 2011-08-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top